What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keto II (2 Viewers)

butter, salt, and pepper were good enough for me to come close enough. I love my mashed potatoes as well, but the mashed cauliflower did the trick.

Back on for two days and down 4 lbs already.  I realize this is all just water weight, but the pants are fitting better, and the gut is feeling better already.

It's been a while, so I've forgotten a few details.  We aren't loggin Erythritol as a carb, right? I started logging everything, and adding this to my coffe threw my carbs off, but I don't remember it being an issue before.  Looking back it looks like I wasn't logging it at all, so that is my assumption.

I had JB's Keto meatballs last night with some zoodles and sauce, and again today for lunch as leftovers. I'm definitely giving them two big thumbs up  :thumbup: :thumbup:   My wife made them to spec, and the only thing she said there was an issue with was that she thought there might be too much water in the recipe. We'll tweak it next time, but even as-is I couldn't stop eating them.

Did someone in here have a bomb chili recipe? Looking to make some elk chili this weekend and wanted to follow the one here.

In my house, on our birthdays, we get awakened with a cupcake, candle and happy birthday singing. The wife replaced the cupcake with a meatball with a candle in it. Classic! 

The wife made me fried chicken (baked) with pork rind breading. Tasted like stovetop stuffing. I will look to link the recipe.

Costco also sells bags of cauliflower rice (well, at least my local Costco has for the last 2 months or so). Picked up a bag last week, been trying to figure out how best to use it. I'm planning to grill some New York steaks tonight, perhaps I can steam the cauliflower rice and add some cheese, etc. to have as a side with the steak, similar to mashed cauliflower.
Did this last night -  Grilled New York steaks with a basic olive oil, Italian seasoning on it. Finished with a Balsamic drizzle.   Grilled Asparagus as well with basic olive oil and did garlic salt (will go back to just using garlic powder next time)

Then also did up some riced cauliflower - In a high sided pan, medium heat I melted about 2 TBSP of butter and added the whole bag of cauliflower rice (bag from Costco) I mixed that together, covered it and let it cook for about 5 minutes. I then added some bacon crumbles (again, had the bag from Costco), added say 1/4 cup plus some of bacon and stirred and covered so the bacon could heat up. Gave that about 3 minutes or so. Then I covered generously with grated cheddar cheese, covered the pan to let that melt. This was very good. My wife liked it and my 10 year old went back for seconds. Have been told that this will have to be added to the rotation as a side dish.
:goodposting:

Did this (minus the Asparagus) last night -  fatty ribeyes on the grill and the riced cauliflower with butter and bacon.  Delish!  Thanks.

Of course I cheated with 3 glassed of bourbon, but the meal was great.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the guys going on and off, struggling, etc.

Wanted to give a few extra tips. General tips are stupid and played out "it's a lifestyle change" "don't look at the scale" etc.

I was taken off of my diabetic medication today, and I've been off insulin completely for a few months now (I was never huge, but just ate like #### and all the working out I did didn't help my A1C I guess).  This diet does work, but only if you forget the word diet and just forget about it being a diet (see above, I just used a cringy sentence I promised not to).

Anyway, if you're struggling to come up with meals, try ketofridge.com - I use them for 2-3 meals a week. It's convenient, it comes to you vacuum packed and microwavable. This week I had chicken parm with Ricotta Eggplant Stacks and Broc/Cauliflower with a lemon sauce and Korean Short Ribs with Vegetable "noodles" as well as Cheddar/Onion Keto Biscuits. Next week I ordered the General Tso's chicken and Salmon.  The food is high quality and tasty.  However, it is expensive - but if you're struggling, having these in the fridge is nice...they also do ice cream if you really can't shake the sweet tooth.

And I've said it before, but if you're thinking of cheating, just go to Jersey Mike's and get an Italian TUB (not a sub) - get it "Mike's Way" and thank me later. While eating it, you won't feel like you're on a diet.

Good luck.

Yeah what Bender said....Going on and off this diet is no good, cravings come back, water weight is regained and the Keto flu sucks when trying to get back in to ketosis. Hov34 If you are drinking Bourbon you are not cheating. Bourbon low carb!!

Down 5 pounds (water weight I know) since Monday going back on. No carb flu which is the best.  I have a little bit of sugar cravings, but that's mainly because we always have so much candy and crap in the house.  Right now we have a gigantic valentines heart shaped box on the counter filled with Dove dark chocolate hearts.  Only 4 carbs per heart, but I know I won't stop at one, and I know it won't end the cravings.

I don't know. I don't get fat because of what I eat. I get fat because of how much I eat. Changing this from a diet to a lifestyle change takes away any chance to ever indulge in ice cream or birthday cake. If you cheat on any other diet, you probably won't even notice it. However, if you have cake, ice cream or bread on Keto, you take yourself out of ketosis and have to start all over again. 

Listen, if you can go the rest of your life without ever having sweets or dessert again, awesome for you. But I'm 40, have two young kids, and want to be able to enjoy an ice cream with them at Disneyworld this summer. 

I have been successful when I eat what I want, just watch how much of it I eat. Being on Keto for 2.5 months has been great. I feel great, my clothes feel great. I don't crave dessert right now. But I know at some point, I won't be able to keep it up. For that reason I can't say this is a lifestyle for me. 

I'm extremely skeptical that the occasional indulgence would knock you out of ketosis. The whole point of becoming fat adapted is to get your body to a point where it readily burns fat for energy. If all of a sudden there is an influx of glycogen, I would expect the body to burn that first, but then what happens when that glycogen is gone (which is supposedly within 24 hours or so)? Your body flips out again like a newbie? Or does it revert to the training that you have accomplished and simply convert back to burning fat? I'd like to see some research that shows what happens to a fat adapted person who indulges in carbs from time to time.

I'm extremely skeptical that the occasional indulgence would knock you out of ketosis. The whole point of becoming fat adapted is to get your body to a point where it readily burns fat for energy. If all of a sudden there is an influx of glycogen, I would expect the body to burn that first, but then what happens when that glycogen is gone (which is supposedly within 24 hours or so)? Your body flips out again like a newbie? Or does it revert to the training that you have accomplished and simply convert back to burning fat? I'd like to see some research that shows what happens to a fat adapted person who indulges in carbs from time to time.
I always read it as if you eat more than 20g (or whatever your threshold is) than you are out of Ketosis and have to start all over. I could be 100% wrong. 

I always read it as if you eat more than 20g (or whatever your threshold is) than you are out of Ketosis and have to start all over. I could be 100% wrong. 
Define "starting all over."  If you mean the biometrics gobly#### of what is going on in your body, maybe (though that threshhold should be higher than 20g, more like 50, but it may vary person to person).  However, as far as weight loss and how you feel after eating those things, it is just a minor blip.  If I chart my weight loss on a daily basis and plug it into a line graph, it is a steady decending line.  If I "cheat" or indulge, than line steadies off briefy, but begins decending again as soon as I go back on the diet.  Depending on how much I indulge, it may not even effect how I feel (having a bowl of ice cream won't make me feel anything the next day, eating half a pizza will put me in the bathroom for most of the next day.  YMMV).

You can be fat adapted and be out of ketosis. I was strict keto for almost a full year last year and now that I'm in maintenance mode I'm out of ketosis almost every weekend. Because I'm still fat adapted, though, I can start the week off strict again on monday and be back in ketosis by wednesday without any weight gain. 

I can even tell when i go too far on the weekends and i feel like crap on Sundays. Getting back into ketosis has not been an issue for me. 

I’ve been traveling in Asia for two weeks, eating and drinking all I crossed paths with.  I feel fat and terrible.  I only need to lose 20-30lbs, but I need to lose them badly.  Help me keto-wan kenobi, you’re my only hope.

Flying home in the morning.  Seriously may have to do something dramatic with my diet at least for a little while. 

You can be fat adapted and be out of ketosis. I was strict keto for almost a full year last year and now that I'm in maintenance mode I'm out of ketosis almost every weekend. Because I'm still fat adapted, though, I can start the week off strict again on monday and be back in ketosis by wednesday without any weight gain. 

I can even tell when i go too far on the weekends and i feel like crap on Sundays. Getting back into ketosis has not been an issue for me. 
What do you mean by this. You can have your body burning only fat even if you are not in ketosis. 

For example, I am going to a birthday party tonight. I am pretty sure I am fat adapted as I have been in ketosis for the better part of 2.5 months. Maybe a few days at the beginning when figuring things out. If I have a piece of cake, that wont put me at ground zero again. 

Not saying I will, but want to get the big picture

I’ve been traveling in Asia for two weeks, eating and drinking all I crossed paths with.  I feel fat and terrible.  I only need to lose 20-30lbs, but I need to lose them badly.  Help me keto-wan kenobi, you’re my only hope.

Flying home in the morning.  Seriously may have to do something dramatic with my diet at least for a little while. 
I know this isn't the first time you've heard this, but this is the whole problem.  You shouldn't be doing anything drastic other than what is going to work for you long term.  Quick fixes that aren't sustainable that will send you off on the roller coaster of ups and down, both in terms of weight and emotions, are worse for your health than just being overweight. Find what works for you long term providing stable consistent weight loss and stick with it.  When a work trip prevents that from working, trying to exhibit moderation and get back to the plan when you return.  

What do you mean by this. You can have your body burning only fat even if you are not in ketosis. 

For example, I am going to a birthday party tonight. I am pretty sure I am fat adapted as I have been in ketosis for the better part of 2.5 months. Maybe a few days at the beginning when figuring things out. If I have a piece of cake, that wont put me at ground zero again. 

Not saying I will, but want to get the big picture
I just mean that my body gets back into ketosis quickly because I'm fat adapted. It's not like starting over and going through keto flu and all that. I snap back into burning fat right away.

Also, I never really go more than two/three days with a lot of carbs. So it's not like I can eat poorly for a few weeks and then get back into ketosis quickly. Haven't and won't do that

Yeah what Bender said....Going on and off this diet is no good, cravings come back, water weight is regained and the Keto flu sucks when trying to get back in to ketosis. Hov34 If you are drinking Bourbon you are not cheating. Bourbon low carb!!
So really, what is the word on brown liquors or hard liquor in general?  Am I undoing all the good I've done?  I will say one thing.  Been eating Keto for a week and only 3 bourbons in and I was ####faced.  I'm a much cheaper drunk on Keto.

I know this isn't the first time you've heard this, but this is the whole problem.  You shouldn't be doing anything drastic other than what is going to work for you long term.  Quick fixes that aren't sustainable that will send you off on the roller coaster of ups and down, both in terms of weight and emotions, are worse for your health than just being overweight. Find what works for you long term providing stable consistent weight loss and stick with it.  When a work trip prevents that from working, trying to exhibit moderation and get back to the plan when you return.  

Yeah, but this time Otis means it!©

So really, what is the word on brown liquors or hard liquor in general?  Am I undoing all the good I've done?  I will say one thing.  Been eating Keto for a week and only 3 bourbons in and I was ####faced.  I'm a much cheaper drunk on Keto.
drink all the distilled liquor you want.  I almost polished off an entire pint of gin last night. 

You're right- I was defining ketosis incorrectly. Your post is saying exactly what I was trying to: Your body should reach a point where it doesn't take the same long process to get back into ketosis as it did at the start. Once you are fat adapted, once the glycogen is gone, your body knows, and is able, to quickly move on to burning stored fat for fuel. You would not have to go through the keto flu as your body attempts to adjust.

ETA: The point of this is that Acer was concerned about maintaining a keto lifestyle. Yes, >50g of carbs or so will temporarily knock you out of ketosis. However, IMHO, if you can stay on board for 6 weeks to 2 months while you train your body, an ice cream cone with your kids is not the end of the world.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree that one of the beneficial side effects is the lowered alcohol tolerance.  Saves me quite a bit not having to drink as much.  But, I definitely still do plenty of rum and bourbon without things slowing down.

Agree that one of the beneficial side effects is the lowered alcohol tolerance.  Saves me quite a bit not having to drink as much.  But, I definitely still do plenty of rum and bourbon without things slowing down.
Wont' knock you out of ketosis, but it will stop you burning fat for a time.  The body always burns alcohol first, before glucose or fat, so that it can metabolize it and get rid of it.  And yes when I'm in ketosis I still drink.  

As for the talk about going in and out of ketosis, the key is to remember that the goal isn't ketosis.  Outside of those following the KD for severe health reasons (epilepsy, cancer, etc), the goal is losing or maintaining weight.  Minimizing insulin spikes is one of the best ways to do that, which is why ketosis can be great for weight loss.  But other than the water storage that comes with filling up the glycogen tanks (and quickly sheds when you drop the carbs), I don't think an occasional splurge is a big deal.  Splurging weekly is probably another story.

Vodka/club soda or bourbon here too. I'll second the tolerance...had some booze sneak up on me last week...woof

How do any of you if you do, deal with family members that think losing weight is great, but you will die of a heart attack any day. Im starting to get to that point with my wife who is a Biology teacher and knows about how the body works. 

So far, I just tell her to not worry about it. But the longer I go, the more I hear about it. I have read the articles here and watched the videos. She doesnt want to hear it. 

How do any of you if you do, deal with family members that think losing weight is great, but you will die of a heart attack any day. Im starting to get to that point with my wife who is a Biology teacher and knows about how the body works. 

So far, I just tell her to not worry about it. But the longer I go, the more I hear about it. I have read the articles here and watched the videos. She doesnt want to hear it. 
Thats what blood results are for.  Go to the doc and get the before and after blood results.  Almost always the doc will say whatever you are doing keep doing it.  If the doc is cool with it, so should any other know it all.

My father needs to get his carb consumption under control or he's gonna be put on insulin. He knows I'm doing keto so now we're doing to together. His doctor actually told him "you can eat all the bacon & eggs you want" which surprised me. Doctors are finally getting hip to carb control. 

I'm down 33 pounds so far, btw.  :pickle:

I currently have my own version of "armadillo eggs" in the oven. Jalapeño peppers stuffed with cream cheese, wrapped in bacon then wrapped in a thin chicken breast. 

I think I might start 23/1 intermittent fasting on my non-gym days. 

I'm going to give this a spin for 30-days. Pants are getting a little snug. I typically do a maintenance diet this time of year, but just not feeling it. I've read the thread and some of the articles and think I have a pretty good grasp on what I can eat and what I cant. I'm in the "no math / tracking" camp, so Im really hoping I can do this without all without an app.  I think I'll be OK with the food part (I was actually excited to get started yesterday as I was preparing food for the week - bacon, keto-meatballs, parm crisps, etc), but I'm absolutely dreading 30 days without beer. Not even sure I can do it. Planning on substituting lime seltzer water w/ bourbon and lots of herbal supplements. 

Question - I've been doing IF (ie: skipping breakfast) since before it was a thing, so planning to stick to that. I put a spoonful of coconut oil in my coffee this morning, but I'm not exactly sure why. Is this still recommended? What's the reasoning behind this?

I don't do it, but my understanding is that it serves a few purposes: 1) If you're skipping breakfast, it helps avoid hunger, b) For some reason, many keto-ers have trouble hitting their caloric needs on a day-to-day basis. The coconut oil provides a calorie boost. &) Adding the coconut oil helps with your macros by providing an extra dose of healthy fat.

I don't know. I don't get fat because of what I eat. I get fat because of how much I eat. Changing this from a diet to a lifestyle change takes away any chance to ever indulge in ice cream or birthday cake. If you cheat on any other diet, you probably won't even notice it. However, if you have cake, ice cream or bread on Keto, you take yourself out of ketosis and have to start all over again. 

Listen, if you can go the rest of your life without ever having sweets or dessert again, awesome for you. But I'm 40, have two young kids, and want to be able to enjoy an ice cream with them at Disneyworld this summer. 

I have been successful when I eat what I want, just watch how much of it I eat. Being on Keto for 2.5 months has been great. I feel great, my clothes feel great. I don't crave dessert right now. But I know at some point, I won't be able to keep it up. For that reason I can't say this is a lifestyle for me. 
I am finding out that it is what I eat that causes me to eat more. Eat a little sugar I will eat all the sugar like an alcoholic that cannot stop at one beer. Once I get to goal weight I will have the occasional Disneyland splurge.

Made it to day 5 today w/ no cheats. A high-fat diet goes against everything I thought I knew, so Ive been treating it more like a science experiment than a diet. Not really easy, but not really hard either. I feel a bit sluggish in the late afternoon, but nothing I would describe as flu-like. My biggest complaint is the unquenchable thirst (does this ever go away?). No matter how much water I drink, its not enough. Doesn't help that everything I eat is salty and the herbs just add to the cotton mouth. There are certain parts of the day where I feel like I have a giant void in my belly and nothing I'm allowed to eat will satisfy it. Most of the day, I feel OK though. My favorite thing I've been eating is an avocado cubed up in a bowl with crumbled bacon and a handful of salt-and-vinegar almonds. So simple and so freakin good/satisfying. Anyone have any other snack/meal ideas that aren't so salty?

TLDR: The lack of crackers is making me thirsty.

I don't suffer from thirst, but that's probably because I have a glass of water at my desk all day I constantly drink out of out of habit. I used to drink pop all day long, so I do the water to keep my occupied.

Go to snacks during the day for me are string cheese and almonds.  If the salt is bothering you, go with unsalted almonds.  They aren't the most delicious thing in the world, but when I'm going good on Keto, I look at snacks during the day as making that empty feeling go away, not treats.  If I decide I'm not hungy enough to eat a boring unflavored almond, I must not actually be hungry.

Hit a pretty tough plateau the last week or so, where I was actually carrying around 2-3lbs more than my low point. I also wasn't pooping at all. Had a quality BM yesterday, and magically hit a new low this morning. Hopefully that's the breakthru I needed to continue progressing. Down nearly 20lbs now.

Down 5.5 pounds since going on Keto two weeks ago today.  Could be lower but I cheated twice this weekend.  Friday I had pizza.  I could have just eaten the top, but it was a year end pizza party for my 6th grade basketball team.  I figured I'd rather eat a little pizza than deal with all the questions and strange looks. I only had four skinny pieces (about 1/4 of a average size pizza) so I certainly didn't glutton it out like I am capable.  Last night I had Chipotle, but had just a little rice, a little bit of black beans and corn salsa.  The rest was keto friendly.  The Chipotle dump I took after I weighed in this morning should guarantee another loss next week unless something goes off the rails.

Did some meal prep for Bender's Asian Chow Mein for dinner this week, and also made some of the pizza bites. I tweaked the toppings, adding a spinach leaf and also making canadian bacon ones for my daughter. I probably used too much cheese for the bottom crust, as it didn't get crispy like the top did, but they're pretty tasty and I'll keep working on it. I've already made the Keto meatballs he posted and those were a HUGE hit. The wife is fully onboard - last night she made a Keto chicken stroganoff, using almond flour and mashed cauliflower subbed for the noodles, at it was damn good. With Pinterest, etc., it's pretty easy to come up with a bunch of Keto friendly dinners that the whole family can enjoy. The wife has a "Go-To Dinners" board on Pinterest, and every time we try a new one that's a big hit, it goes on that board. The board didn't take too long to start filling up, so it's a lot easier to meal plan and prep just from that board alone. This is good eatin'  :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread