What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017-18 NBA (Playoffs): A gasping, wheezing thread begs message board poster arguing how Jordan never lost a Finals to just let it die in peace (3 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gar/Pax need to go.  So does Fred and so does Jimmy.  Burn it down and rebuild. 
Gar and Pax and Fred need to go but i'd like to see what they could do with keeping Butler. For me they need to overwhelm me to keep him. Latest rumor that's not killed with Chris Heilman (Butler coach who replaced Stevens) was OSU was interested in Fred as HC. That would've really saved us there. Never should've let Thibs go. 

ShamrockPride said:
New season, new thread. I'm in.

LeBron still needs more help
What possible help could they get that will help against the GS juggernaut? 

What is their cap situation?

@modogg I wanted to reply to this as I think we both made some good points but the thread was locked. 

As a non Sixers fan who lives in Philly I agree what most Sixers fans want a healthy team. There's some really big question marks on the medical staff but I'd like to believe a few of these guys were downgraded more to lose a few more games and have a better chance of ping pong balls. I hate the idea but I think if this came as the reason I think that would calm many nerves. The Lakers pick next year all depends what LA does this offseason and if they acquire PG. If they get PG and add others all bets are off on that pick and it doesn't look so hot. It's one of the risks about it this year. My buddy who is an LAL fan thinks if they don't get him this offseason it'll be at the trade deadline even then who knows what the Lakers will be like. 

1. That could definitely be true which is why i love if I have a guy out there with a liability the team does its best to not expose those weaknesses. I think Pop is one of the best coaches at doing this. Going to a different sport I think Jim Johnson when he was the DC for the Eagles did this very well. I'm actually quite a fan of Covington. Yeah a draft pick will and can effect this. 

2. Bayless ain't horrible trust me my favorite part of the NBA is the 3 point shooters. Ask any of my friends who play me in NBA2K when we do fantasy drafts for our season their goal is to make sure I have as few of shooters on my team as possible. Back to the pint I'm more so talking adding guys who will be here for awhile. Bayless is more of a stopgap guy IMHO. He's not terrible but he's 29 in Aug. Korkmanz won't be coming this year. I know a few reports have said he could but the way the slot money and what the Sixers can give plus what his buyout is it's impossible for it to happen unless some tragedy happens similar to Chi bringing Mirotic over. Niko came over a year early because he had a falling out with his Real madrid Coach (Players were on Niko's side) as he hurt his wrist and was out for part of the season and somehow lost his starting spot. Niko didn't seem to fit in the coaches plans for the following season and he wasn't going to sit on the bench. If I'm not mistaken to ease over tensions RM agreed to a lower Buyout so he could leave. Either way the Sixers need to add more then Korkmanz IMHO

3. I really hate the he's young argument. Only because these guys are training to become professionals in a sport which for them is their work place. You act up in college at an internship it's gonna make you look bad when you graduate and leave college. There should be no reason for these guys to not act some what like a professional to look better on the Resume. I remember Geno Auresma (SP) UCONN Womens coach talking about player attitudes and how he doesn't care who the player was. If you cared more about your stats then the team you were gonna ride the bench. He then talked about how kids see these athletes with the flamboyant celebrations and all and think it's cool. He said it was selfishness and me first type stuff shows unprofessionalism and caring more about yourself and he thinks it's ruining what he and others as coaches in sports are truing to teach. Simmons had his Uncle as an assistant at LSU he wouldn't even listen tpo. Now his attitude seems better since drafted so that's a good thing. I understand he hasn't played a game and I will say I haven't seen it from Sixers fans on this forum but elsewhere I'm seeing people put this guy in the HoF of the NBA and being better then LeBron, MJ, Wilt etc before he takes the court. I think the concerns I have with Simmons are very reasonable from shooting, his mechanics, defensive liabilities, rebounding and strength. He'll need time to gel and I think he'll make an immediate impact as a ball distributor. I just question everything else about the kid. I always kind of thought Ingram/Simmons were overrated by Scouts and media just because of how weak last years draft was. And that shouldn't be blamed on either of these kids. It's really gonna be interesting to see however. 
omfg THERE IS A REASON THE THREAD WAS LOCKED 

Gar and Pax and Fred need to go but i'd like to see what they could do with keeping Butler. For me they need to overwhelm me to keep him. Latest rumor that's not killed with Chris Heilman (Butler coach who replaced Stevens) was OSU was interested in Fred as HC. That would've really saved us there. Never should've let Thibs go. 
I'm kind of over Butler.  I do love the guy and he is my favorite player on the current roster, but we have hot dog#### around him.  This team is a long way away from competing.  Outside of Bobby Portis, there isn't a young guy on the roster who is anything more than a rotational player on a good team. 

Hot take:  The NBA should go back to 5 games in the first rd of the playoffs.  Cut the pre-season in half, and eliminate several back-to-back games for teams.  Fans shouldn't get screwed for teams playing it smart...

I'm kind of over Butler.  I do love the guy and he is my favorite player on the current roster, but we have hot dog#### around him.  This team is a long way away from competing.  Outside of Bobby Portis, there isn't a young guy on the roster who is anything more than a rotational player on a good team. 
Yeah I agree. I'm just selfish and I want to keep a player who's still a top player. Understand he may need to go. However I'm also not selling him for anything less then what a top 5 guy at his position who plays top basketball both sides of the Floor. living in Philly I was seeing some terrible trade offers for Butler and then I realized Gar/Pax are ######ed enough to probably say yes. Personally from the Sixers I'd have taken at the time Noel, Saric, 2 First and Covington Send then Taj and Jimmy or McBuckets instead of Taj and find another trade partner for him. Especially if they aren't keeping Niko I think Saric would be a good replacement. The problem with Mirotic I don't think is as much as him as it's Fred's system and not using him correctly. 

Hot take:  The NBA should go back to 5 games in the first rd of the playoffs.  Cut the pre-season in half, and eliminate several back-to-back games for teams.  Fans shouldn't get screwed for teams playing it smart...
I agree I hate the Stars sitting out games. It's why I didn't go to many Sixers games except the Chicago Game Chicago won because most of the teams they played ended up sitting their star guys. Why as a guy who doesn't like the Sixers and am going to see other teams stars go to a game those said stars Sit? 

Yeah I agree. I'm just selfish and I want to keep a player who's still a top player. Understand he may need to go. However I'm also not selling him for anything less then what a top 5 guy at his position who plays top basketball both sides of the Floor. living in Philly I was seeing some terrible trade offers for Butler and then I realized Gar/Pax are ######ed enough to probably say yes. Personally from the Sixers I'd have taken at the time Noel, Saric, 2 First and Covington Send then Taj and Jimmy or McBuckets instead of Taj and find another trade partner for him. Especially if they aren't keeping Niko I think Saric would be a good replacement. The problem with Mirotic I don't think is as much as him as it's Fred's system and not using him correctly. 
I wish I knew what happened to Kiko.  The guy was pushing Wiggins for Rookie of the year at one point.  Now he can't hit an open look.  Same with the Olympics, he sucked there too.  When he balls, he balls.  When he sucks, its baaaad. I don't see how they can keep Niko at this point.  He has to go.  Someone else will see the "light" with him.

I really want Jimmy and Lopez for Boston's first.  I think it solves a lot of issues for both teams.  The Celts aren't getting Hayward for nothing, so I wish they'd realize that before the draft. 

This is the worst state the Bulls have been in since the early 80s.

I agree I hate the Stars sitting out games. It's why I didn't go to many Sixers games except the Chicago Game Chicago won because most of the teams they played ended up sitting their star guys. Why as a guy who doesn't like the Sixers and am going to see other teams stars go to a game those said stars Sit? 
Basketball is a year round sport.  Players don't need the preseason like they used to.  I think its at 6 games now, we can easily go to 3.  Cut a couple days off rd 1 of the playoffs and thats a full 8-12 days OFF these guys have during a season.  I think Silver is smart enough to make the change

I wish I knew what happened to Kiko.  The guy was pushing Wiggins for Rookie of the year at one point.  Now he can't hit an open look.  Same with the Olympics, he sucked there too.  When he balls, he balls.  When he sucks, its baaaad. I don't see how they can keep Niko at this point.  He has to go.  Someone else will see the "light" with him.

I really want Jimmy and Lopez for Boston's first.  I think it solves a lot of issues for both teams.  The Celts aren't getting Hayward for nothing, so I wish they'd realize that before the draft. 

Hayward is a free agent so if they do get him it will be for nothing...well, except for the guys they have to move to clear space...

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah thank god I grew up in the late 80s and watched the 90s. I can't speak for the 80s but this might be worse then the early 2000s Bulls. I Love Mirotic and I followed him from after he was drafted from Europe till he got here. Thibs leaving I think caused a lot of issues for him. Hoiberg saying he was a starter then he wasn't as well as poorly using his skillset all contribute to these things. Other then Butler he's my favorite player but if Fred is staying Niko has to go. I just hope he goes somewhere I like and want to root for him to succeed. 

Basketball is a year round sport.  Players don't need the preseason like they used to.  I think its at 6 games now, we can easily go to 3.  Cut a couple days off rd 1 of the playoffs and thats a full 8-12 days OFF these guys have during a season.  I think Silver is smart enough to make the change
Silver seems smart enough on a lot of Changes. I love how he wants to work with everyone on the draft lottery rules and player age limit. Silver in this regard seems more of a go getter on these topics then Stern was. 

Hayward is a free agent so if they do get him it will be for nothing...
I think he's thinking that Utah won't let him go unless it's some sort of sign and trade type deal. If that's the case they aren't getting him for nothing... Plus fitting Blake and Hayward in the cap they are gonna have to move Players they may not want too. 

I think he's thinking that Utah won't let him go unless it's some sort of sign and trade type deal. If that's the case they aren't getting him for nothing... Plus fitting Blake and Hayward in the cap they are gonna have to move Players they may not want too. 
I don't see the Celts doing both...Utah won't have a choice if he simply decides to leave...he is unrestricted...

Hayward is a free agent so if they do get him it will be for nothing...well, except for the guys they have to move to clear space...
So I personally don't see Hayward leaving the Jazz.  He is the King in SLC.  The Jazz have a good solid young roster.  I just don't see him taking less money to play for a "contender" that is in a transition (they don't who their starting PG will be in 2019).  I'll put my bet on Hayward staying...

So I personally don't see Hayward leaving the Jazz.  He is the King in SLC.  The Jazz have a good solid young roster.  I just don't see him taking less money to play for a "contender" that is in a transition (they don't who their starting PG will be in 2019).  I'll put my bet on Hayward staying...
We'll see...Utah is a good young team but I think people forget he tried to leave once before when he signed with Charlotte...

Yeah thank god I grew up in the late 80s and watched the 90s. I can't speak for the 80s but this might be worse then the early 2000s Bulls. I Love Mirotic and I followed him from after he was drafted from Europe till he got here. Thibs leaving I think caused a lot of issues for him. Hoiberg saying he was a starter then he wasn't as well as poorly using his skillset all contribute to these things. Other then Butler he's my favorite player but if Fred is staying Niko has to go. I just hope he goes somewhere I like and want to root for him to succeed. 
right there with you.  Niko was on fire for a few months and had star player written all over him. Something happened and now he is rotational at best.  In the right situation, this guy can be a 18 point a night guy.

How would you guys rank the rookies in terms of highest ceiling?  I am curious who could be the All Stars in this group.  (Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum, Fox and anyone else I am missing)

Fultz, Jackson, Fox, Ball, Tatum.

I actually like JJ more than Fultz, but I'm no scout, so take it with a grain of salt....

right there with you.  Niko was on fire for a few months and had star player written all over him. Something happened and now he is rotational at best.  In the right situation, this guy can be a 18 point a night guy.
I keep telling my 76er fans this guy is better Saric in the right situation and they laugh. I also advise them to wait and see with Saric. I've read a lot of scouting reports that say he's no more then a poor man's Tony Kukoc which I know a lot about. Don't get me wrong TK was a solid role player but wasn't the player he was after he left Chicago and had MJ and Pippen. I remember reading scouting reports Niko's floor was Ryan Anderson (I'll take that any day with Chicagos lack of Offense), Better then TK and best European Big shooter since Dirk. Scouts his rookie year when he was on Fire I remember them saying if he was eligible in the Wiggins draft they'd have taken him as a consensus #1 over Wiggins scouts said. 

How would you guys rank the rookies in terms of highest ceiling?  I am curious who could be the All Stars in this group.  (Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum, Fox and anyone else I am missing)
I like Fultz and Jackson way more then Ball. 6-5 and above Guards at least at PG haven't fared in the NBA well and he has a funky shot that looks slow developing and easy to Block. I Also like Jackson over Ball. I don't know a lot about Tatum or Fox. 

I keep telling my 76er fans this guy is better Saric in the right situation and they laugh. I also advise them to wait and see with Saric. I've read a lot of scouting reports that say he's no more then a poor man's Tony Kukoc which I know a lot about. Don't get me wrong TK was a solid role player but wasn't the player he was after he left Chicago and had MJ and Pippen. I remember reading scouting reports Niko's floor was Ryan Anderson (I'll take that any day with Chicagos lack of Offense), Better then TK and best European Big shooter since Dirk. Scouts his rookie year when he was on Fire I remember them saying if he was eligible in the Wiggins draft they'd have taken him as a consensus #1 over Wiggins scouts said. 
I think Niko and Saric are the same guy in the long run.  Saric doesn't have the same stink on him that Niko does.  They are both 70% Kukoc.  They arent the guy you want to take the shot during the big game...

The notoriously awful Chad Ford had the following tiers:

Tier 1 - Potential Superstars - Fultz and Ball

Tier 2 - All-Star Potential - Fox, Issac, Jackson, Markkanen, Monk, Ntilikina, Smith, Tatum

Personally, i think Anunoby, Collins, and Giles all have a higher ceiling that Markkanen, Monk, and Ntilikina. Unless Anunoby's knee is trashed, I view him as one of the higher floor (Andre Roberson), higher ceiling (Kawhi with a shakier jumper) in the draft. Not sure why he isn't getting more love.

The notoriously awful Chad Ford had the following tiers:

Tier 1 - Potential Superstars - Fultz and Ball

Tier 2 - All-Star Potential - Fox, Issac, Jackson, Markkanen, Monk, Ntilikina, Smith, Tatum

Personally, i think Anunoby, Collins, and Giles all have a higher ceiling that Markkanen, Monk, and Ntilikina. Unless Anunoby's knee is trashed, I view him as one of the higher floor (Andre Roberson), higher ceiling (Kawhi with a shakier jumper) in the draft. Not sure why he isn't getting more love.
I just don't see Ball as a potential superstar.  Hate the guy if you will, but his stroke is poor and I see him maxing out at a Kyle Lowry Level.

I just don't see Ball as a potential superstar.  Hate the guy if you will, but his stroke is poor and I see him maxing out at a Kyle Lowry Level.
I'm not commenting on Ball--but wanted to expand on this Lowry comment.  Kyle Lowry is a three time all star and two of those times was an all star starter.   He's easily a top 30 player in the league when he's fully healthy.  While he's not in the Lebron, Durant, Curry category of "elite superstar" where they are arguably top 3 in the world--I think Lowry would easily qualify as an NBA superstar.   If Lonzo has the potential to be a Lowry type--I think that's actually pretty solid praise. 

:shrug:

I don't watch enough college ball to have too much of an opinion, but from what I have watched and read, he seems like the real deal. The thing that really turns me off from him is his gross stroke, but there have been great shooters with similarly terrible strokes (Kevin Martin is the first to come to mind). He projects as an elite passer who takes care of the ball, a plus defender that might fill out to be able to cover 2s and maybe even 3s credibly, a good rebounder, and he will destroy teams in transition. If that jumper is for real (I think it is) and he can get it off against NBA athletes (I'm very skeptical), I think he will be a top 6-8 PG in the NBA. If it is a bit shaky and his release ends up being too slow, he projects similar to Ricky Rubio with a little less defense and a lot more ability to finish near the hoop, which is probably somewhere in the Jeff Teague level of average NBA PG play.

I'm not commenting on Ball--but wanted to expand on this Lowry comment.  Kyle Lowry is a three time all star and two of those times was an all star starter.   He's easily a top 30 player in the league when he's fully healthy.  While he's not in the Lebron, Durant, Curry category of "elite superstar" where they are arguably top 3 in the world--I think Lowry would easily qualify as an NBA superstar.   If Lonzo has the potential to be a Lowry type--I think that's actually pretty solid praise. 
I see Lowry as more a fringe All Star.  Maybe its because I don't watch enough Raps games, but he isn't a guy that can carry a team deep into the playoffs.  That much i proven.  Ball = Lowry isnt the worse case scenario for the #2 pick, but its also not swinging for fences. 

I hear stuff like this all the time on Sports Radio...it's like if you are not Jordan/Bird/Lebron level then you are just another mediocre player...these type of guys are generational players and to loosely quote Rick Pitino...they aren't coming thru the door any time soon...

A few things.

1. DJackson you do not have to respond to every post 

2. DJackson this is not your personal NBA blog

3. DJackson I'm starting to see why you moved from a different basketball forum, my guess is you were banned for posting way to much.

At least he responds to comments.  Thats what we need during the offseason. 
Yeah--I'm not sure why people are chastising somebody for posting opinions on an internet message board that was specifically created to invite dialogue and opinions. While I don't agree with a lot of the stuff he says--I do appreciate that he does contribute to the conversation.  I'm of the belief that if you don't want to see something--just look the other way.  There's an ignore function that is made specifically for this (I'm sure that I'm probably on many ignore lists myself).  

I hear stuff like this all the time on Sports Radio...it's like if you are not Jordan/Bird/Lebron level then you are just another mediocre player...these type of guys are generational players and to loosely quote Rick Pitino...they aren't coming thru the door any time soon...
I don't know who he was talking about when he said that but I'm guessing it wasn't strippers.

:softball:

Yeah--I'm not sure why people are chastising somebody for posting opinions on an internet message board that was specifically created to invite dialogue and opinions. While I don't agree with a lot of the stuff he says--I do appreciate that he does contribute to the conversation.  I'm of the belief that if you don't want to see something--just look the other way.  There's an ignore function that is made specifically for this (I'm sure that I'm probably on many ignore lists myself).  
There is a difference between contributing and making this thread his personal blog.

Weebs210 said:
There is a difference between contributing and making this thread his personal blog.
That is a completely inaccurate statement. It looks as though he has made approximately 20-21 posts in this thread--and all but one or two are responses to comments/questions that other posters have put up on the board.  Yes--while the volume of his responses is high--it's not like he's randomly posting hot take after hot takes. He for the most part is reacting to and addressing to other posters comments and opinions.  Like I said--if you find it annoying--put him on ignore.   It's on you to control what you read--it's not up to you to put limits on how much somebody posts on a public message board.  

Don't Noonan said:
Don't watch much NCAA. It doesnt surprise me that the Celts are making noise about JJ because Ainge & Stevens both get chubbed over athleticism, which is why they have 19 guys who can step in front of Kyrie & Curry but cant put the ball in the hole and last year took Kid or Play or Magna Cum Laude at the Andrew Wiggins Institute for Standing In Other Peoples' Way Looking Confused @ 1.03 (and who will be 3rd best Celt of last year's draft class, behind both a 280 lb dancing bear and a tallwhiteyoung named Icicicic Icicic they both drafted in the 1st rd & left overseas in '16) . But JJ (and DFox) have the highest ceilings. They also have trap doors in their floors - neither has any natural shooting ability. They are scorers, though, cuz they both go to the hole great.

I've seen most of the top guys play more than once and looked at some reels. I recounted a couple of times in last year's thread that the thing which worries me about Fultz is that i was flippin channels early last winter when somebody called me. I muted the TV and looked for good background viewing as i took the call. I saw UW basketball on one channel and remembered hearing that the top frosh went there, so left it there while i talked to my pal. Watched an entire half unable to figure out who that hot prospect was - could not tell at ALL by the game flow. That's not good. In fact, when the announcers told me #20 was the star, i went 'nuh-uh'. Watched the 2nd half, saw some nice skills, but not an ounce of "imabeatyou" (even Simmons - who chose a similar BigFishSmallPond path the yr b4 had summadat). Don't like it, but am still rooting for Celts to take him because we dont need another guy cant shoot.

JJ is the only player i saw in my limited college viewing who looked like he was playing another game, which is the thing i like most to see. But he really cannot shoot, in an "i'm not sure we can fix that" kinda way. I watched the KY/UCLA and was very impressed with Fox (who drives almost as well as Wall did for the Blue, is a better defender but worse shot - and Wall was a clanker in school) but not unimpressed with Ball. People have probs w his stroke but he only uses it (like Steph does his semi-set) when he has clearance and his ball skills & stepback give him good clearance. He has position+ height, vision and understands spacing like a 30yo. That's valuable. Dont want him for the Celts cuz of the dramarama and we dont need someone uglier than Maaaacus Smaaaat, but wouldnt mind him one lil bit.

Wont watch Duke unless i have to & didnt have to, but all i hear on Tatum makes me think he has the highest floor cuz he's fairly polished in every skill and can play 2,3,4. Watched JIsaac twice because he was the tallest guy in the preseason mocks besides Harry Giles and i knew the Celts would have a high pick & need a big in '17. He's not a big and my early favorite for guy we'll least be talking about in two years. The window is closing fast on stretch4s with white skills, so Markinnen aint for me. Just not enough on Collins, the only white w non-white skills, who i saw do a lot of cool stuff AND a lot of confused standing around for Gonzaga. I hear Dennis Smith is your father's PG, Monk is the only guy in this bunch i'd let touch the ball w 3 seconds left but that's about it and my guess of the player most likely to have folks asking "why diidnt we take him?" in a coupla yrs is Creighton big Justin Patton. All i got.

That is a completely inaccurate statement. It looks as though he has made approximately 20-21 posts in this thread--and all but one or two are responses to comments/questions that other posters have put up on the board.  Yes--while the volume of his responses is high--it's not like he's randomly posting hot take after hot takes. He for the most part is reacting to and addressing to other posters comments and opinions.  Like I said--if you find it annoying--put him on ignore.   It's on you to control what you read--it's not up to you to put limits on how much somebody posts on a public message board.  
In half a day is ridiculous. Plus people quote him so there is no way to avoid his personal diary.

Last edited by a moderator:
In half a day is ridiculous. Plus people quote him so there is no way to avoid his personal diary.
You scroll down or you ignore.  This is as much his board as it is yours.  Your right not to be annoyed by him is not stronger than his right to post on a public message board.  Trying to shame or discourage somebody from posting his thoughts about basketball in a basketball thread because it annoys you is ridiculous.  Seriously--instead of taking all this time going back and forth with me about it--click the ignore function and use your fingers to scroll down.  It's not that hard.   I'm not trying to be rude or confrontational with you--so I'll leave it at that.  I hope that you have a good day.   

You scroll down or you ignore.  This is as much his board as it is yours.  Your right not to be annoyed by him is not stronger than his right to post on a public message board.  Trying to shame or discourage somebody from posting his thoughts about basketball in a basketball thread because it annoys you is ridiculous.  Seriously--instead of taking all this time going back and forth with me about it--click the ignore function and use your fingers to scroll down.  It's not that hard.   I'm not trying to be rude or confrontational with you--so I'll leave it at that.  I hope that you have a good day.   
Are you his lover? I hope you have a good day too, it's Friday after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread