What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017-18 NBA (Playoffs): A gasping, wheezing thread begs message board poster arguing how Jordan never lost a Finals to just let it die in peace (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see the allure of Markkanen for the Wolves at 7, but by God would they be waiving a defensive white flag with that selection.   :X   They'd have to drop 125 to even give themselves a chance to win.  Was really hoping for Isaac, but if he's gone I hope they take Dennis Smith and figure out what they can do with Ricky and/or Dunn.  Love Smith's upside.

Is it chasing titles if every team he goes to becomes a title contender?
I don't know. I was asking. I don't know the answer to the question.  I would lean yes, because he is so close to winning with his current team. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I can see the allure of Markkanen for the Wolves at 7, but by God would they be waiving a defensive white flag with that selection.   :X   They'd have to drop 125 to even give themselves a chance to win.  Was really hoping for Isaac, but if he's gone I hope they take Dennis Smith and figure out what they can do with Ricky and/or Dunn.  Love Smith's upside.
I'm hoping for Monk.  They need shooting in the worst way.

I came to the realization that Andre Igoudala, coming off the bench in the Finals, would be Orlando's best player tomorrow.

Then I made myself sad. 

Smith would fit right in with Lavine and Wiggins. 

Agree with the shooting part, which is why I could see them taking Laurie well.  I do like Monk, but man, a 6'3" 2 is just asking for trouble on D which is something the Wolves can't afford.

I wouldn't hate a selection of Monk, but the Wolves so badly need a  3&D or rim protector, neither of which are likely there at 7.  

But T minus one week...should be a fun draft.  

Fingers crossed for me. If the Wolves take Monk and Issac falls past them, the Nuggets might actually have a shot at trading up for him. The Knicks would love to make a stupid trade. After my extensive research (I've watched some DraftExpress videos and listed to Dunc'd On talk about most of the top 10 or so prospects), I'm convinced that Issac is the third best prospect in the draft.

Fingers crossed for me. If the Wolves take Monk and Issac falls past them, the Nuggets might actually have a shot at trading up for him. The Knicks would love to make a stupid trade. After my extensive research (I've watched some DraftExpress videos and listed to Dunc'd On talk about most of the top 10 or so prospects), I'm convinced that Issac is the third best prospect in the draft.
I don't see any way the Wolves pass on Isaac if he's there at 7.  He's exactly what they need alongside Towns and Wiggins IMO.

Over a year in advance of when he was able to join the Warriors?  Woj is getting clicks right now.  He's not reporting Lebron to one team.  Maybe he's right too in the end, but he's just speculating and is telling us that by saying "I think".
I know Woj got the credit, but I believe Jalen Rose mentioned a similar scenario before Woj in a podcast. 

Also with Jerry West going to Clippers........

Let's go Bucks!
The Bucks could be very interesting. Maker, and Brogdan could make jumps in their 2nd year, a healthy Middleton, maybe Parker comes back and is fully healthy in March and the freak. I don't know their cap situation, but maybe take a run at Millsap, or even Paul. I doubt Paul would go there, but if he did that instantly makes them the 2nd best team in the east and with their defense who know. 

Duncan podcast was talking about the possibility of George to the Cavs, the #7 and a young guard to the Pacers, and Love to the Wolves. I ain't hating it. 

Duncan podcast was talking about the possibility of George to the Cavs, the #7 and a young guard to the Pacers, and Love to the Wolves. I ain't hating it. 
Not digging that from the Pacers' angle. I think I'd rather take my chances on resigning George.

The Bucks could be very interesting. Maker, and Brogdan could make jumps in their 2nd year, a healthy Middleton, maybe Parker comes back and is fully healthy in March and the freak. I don't know their cap situation, but maybe take a run at Millsap, or even Paul. I doubt Paul would go there, but if he did that instantly makes them the 2nd best team in the east and with their defense who know. 
And then - they move back to the Mecca!

Celtics sign Hayward or Griffin and defeat the Cavs in East finals

Sixers make the playoffs

Lakers finish 4th worst but top 2 in the lottery and pick transfers to Philly

@modogg I wanted to reply to this as I think we both made some good points but the thread was locked. 

was a joke 

in all honesty, if i think what i want most from the Sixers next year is a year if minimal injuries, and any injury that occurs it is well articulated by the medical staff, handled appropriately, and ensures re-injury will most likely not occur. I think if the team is healthy, and Embiid plays significant minutes for 60-65 games, they will be competitive and enjoyable to watch. With the Lakers pick next year, it will be nice to watch them in Feb-March-April, and not have to be conflicted with wanting them to lose some more and fight for a better lottery pick. 

If they are healthy (which is obviously a big key), i think making the playoffs would be realistic as a 6-8th seed. They have the potential to be even better then that, but I think Simmons will take some time to gel on the floor with the team, and this draft pick will likely be on the floor quite a bit too. 

1) As for the points about the team, i don't think SImmons will be a liability on defense. With Covington and Embiid you already have foundation for defense. draft pick with effect this, but even if not, i think a healthy Covington and Embiid leave this team with a top 15-18 defense.  

2) And i have been hearing everybody talk about how bad the Sixers need shooters, but Jarod Bayless isn't a slouch with shooting and can be depended on for 40% 3 point shooting i think. If Furkan is on the team this year (which i don't think will occur, more likely next year), the guy is a quality shooter. Obvious transition to NBA and everything, but there is no reason to not think he won't be a quality shooter in the league when he balks up a little and joins the team

3) Simmons has some questions like you elude to, but the guy hasn't been in a regular season game yet. Let's take a look first before we start making conclusions here. I am not concerned about an apathetic attitude playing at LSU. He is young, and i would assume he will mature and the Sixers have a good enough organization to not allow a bad attitude to rot the team out.
As a non Sixers fan who lives in Philly I agree what most Sixers fans want a healthy team. There's some really big question marks on the medical staff but I'd like to believe a few of these guys were downgraded more to lose a few more games and have a better chance of ping pong balls. I hate the idea but I think if this came as the reason I think that would calm many nerves. The Lakers pick next year all depends what LA does this offseason and if they acquire PG. If they get PG and add others all bets are off on that pick and it doesn't look so hot. It's one of the risks about it this year. My buddy who is an LAL fan thinks if they don't get him this offseason it'll be at the trade deadline even then who knows what the Lakers will be like. 

1. That could definitely be true which is why i love if I have a guy out there with a liability the team does its best to not expose those weaknesses. I think Pop is one of the best coaches at doing this. Going to a different sport I think Jim Johnson when he was the DC for the Eagles did this very well. I'm actually quite a fan of Covington. Yeah a draft pick will and can effect this. 

2. Bayless ain't horrible trust me my favorite part of the NBA is the 3 point shooters. Ask any of my friends who play me in NBA2K when we do fantasy drafts for our season their goal is to make sure I have as few of shooters on my team as possible. Back to the pint I'm more so talking adding guys who will be here for awhile. Bayless is more of a stopgap guy IMHO. He's not terrible but he's 29 in Aug. Korkmanz won't be coming this year. I know a few reports have said he could but the way the slot money and what the Sixers can give plus what his buyout is it's impossible for it to happen unless some tragedy happens similar to Chi bringing Mirotic over. Niko came over a year early because he had a falling out with his Real madrid Coach (Players were on Niko's side) as he hurt his wrist and was out for part of the season and somehow lost his starting spot. Niko didn't seem to fit in the coaches plans for the following season and he wasn't going to sit on the bench. If I'm not mistaken to ease over tensions RM agreed to a lower Buyout so he could leave. Either way the Sixers need to add more then Korkmanz IMHO

3. I really hate the he's young argument. Only because these guys are training to become professionals in a sport which for them is their work place. You act up in college at an internship it's gonna make you look bad when you graduate and leave college. There should be no reason for these guys to not act some what like a professional to look better on the Resume. I remember Geno Auresma (SP) UCONN Womens coach talking about player attitudes and how he doesn't care who the player was. If you cared more about your stats then the team you were gonna ride the bench. He then talked about how kids see these athletes with the flamboyant celebrations and all and think it's cool. He said it was selfishness and me first type stuff shows unprofessionalism and caring more about yourself and he thinks it's ruining what he and others as coaches in sports are truing to teach. Simmons had his Uncle as an assistant at LSU he wouldn't even listen tpo. Now his attitude seems better since drafted so that's a good thing. I understand he hasn't played a game and I will say I haven't seen it from Sixers fans on this forum but elsewhere I'm seeing people put this guy in the HoF of the NBA and being better then LeBron, MJ, Wilt etc before he takes the court. I think the concerns I have with Simmons are very reasonable from shooting, his mechanics, defensive liabilities, rebounding and strength. He'll need time to gel and I think he'll make an immediate impact as a ball distributor. I just question everything else about the kid. I always kind of thought Ingram/Simmons were overrated by Scouts and media just because of how weak last years draft was. And that shouldn't be blamed on either of these kids. It's really gonna be interesting to see however. 

Boston said:
Rumors (I repeat rumors) are both Blake Griffin and Gordon Hayward are on the Celtics radar screen and there is mutual interest...if they land one of them and Fultz that would be a great start to the offseason...would put them in a position to make some more deals to round out the roster as they are not giving up anything to obtain those players...

http://www.csnne.com/boston-celtics/report-celtics-threat-sign-blake-griffin
Thats interesting. I'm not a huge Hayward fan and not sure what value people see in the guy other then his 3 and D. He's not a max contract guy. 

modogg said:
No, and I'm not trying to rain on celtic's fans dreams. Maybe it is the spoils of having belicheck and Brady, but the sports media in that pocket in the northeast seems to think an NBA team can build a dynasty-life team for 10-13 years. 

What the spurs have done has been pretty amazing, and I'm not sure any other franchise can have that kind of track record for Over 10 years in a row span. I just think the celtics need to commit more to either making a real push in the next 2 years, or commit more to te future. 

Im sure they will add to the team, but other teams in the league should improve as well. A pull of heyward and fultz will be nice for them, but I'm not sure it will get them much farther. Will add talent to an already loaded and packed guard position, and will not address the lack of defense in the paint or some other areas of need 
Spurs have done what they've done because they have had the utmost professionalism from Robinson before Retirement to TD, ManU, Parker etc who all took payouts to all the SA FO upgrade the team around them. The Selflessness of those guys can't be understated and underestimated. 

Take this with a huge grain of Salt out of Chicago as it's Joe Cawley who seems to never be right and has been a very controversial figure (Made disparaging remarks while covering White Sox on Tor and didn't stand for Canadian Nat Anthem in 2003 and had his BBWA voting suspended a year do to controversy as well as making unprofessional comments about female reporter Jessica Daniels)

Chicago Bulls Michael Reinsdorf could be getting closer to firing the front office (Gar/Pax):

One thing I think Bulls fans should hang their hat on, I definitely think that the lifetime scholarships that have been handed out under Jerry Reinsdorf are about to be revoked under Michael Reinsdorf. People are being watched closely and I’d like to say that a couple people better get their résumés ready.

Source Joe Cowley

Read More: https://sportsmockery.com/…/bulls-insider-suggests-michael…/

I do not see how a Love for Carmello swap helps them in anyway. Melo does nothing as well as Love, except for maybe driving to the basket.
Both aren't good defenders either. The swap evens itself out as almost a like for like deal except Melo is smaller in height. Neither team gains anything. All it ever is with that sort of talk is to get ratings on the tube and page clicks online. Nothing more. Sometimes i wonder how much these reports really know and how much they just make completely baseless assumptions. I guess that's what happens in today's Journalism world where no one is held accountable. 

It seems the Lakers are wavering on ball to me too.  It makes too much sense for them to take him though and I think they will.  We need guards.  
Balls shot mechanics scare me and the last few Gs over 6-5 haven't done much to impact the league. I do hope Lonzo is nothing like his dad. My dream is LA takes Lonzo and Lonzo tells Lavar to F off your bad for my career. Lavar takes Big Baller brand to big levels using Lonzo's likes and when he becomes rich off stupid people who give up ridiculous high money for possible a cheap product Lonzo comes in and sues his father for infringement of using his like and appearance without his blessing. Lavar loses the Business and Lonzo wins a Title. It'd be the ultimate stick it because I feel Lavar is THAT PARENT who tries to live through their kid. 

this makes no sense to me:

Adrian Wojnarowksi of The Vertical believes that LeBron James could leave the Cavaliers in 2018.

"Not only is there no guarantee he’s coming back, I’m not sure there’s an expectation he’s re-signing there," Wojnarowski said. "I think they feel, I think within Cleveland and around the league, they feel that he’s very much in play to leave again and likely head out West to one of the two L.A. teams. The Lakers could very well be a target." Woj mentions the Lakers, Clippers and Heat as potential destinations, and he added that LeBron's title with Cleveland last year means he's "liberated to leave again." LeBron has one year left on his deal with a player option for a second, but the Cavs certainly have a reason to be nervous.

I think this points to the silliness of NBA reporting between now and the draft/end of free agency. Why in the world would Lebron go to the Clippers when everyone seems to be leaving, and the Lakers seem to do a great PR job getting every All-Star in the NBA every year.
James has a house like a Mile from Staples Center. This is where it makes sense. Why it doesn't make sense is why would Lebron Leave Cleveland unless Gilbert really POs him again? 

Someone should keep track of all these big wigs predictions over the next year to see how many times they contradict themselves and how many different scenarios they spin.

Since the day he signed a 1 and 1 in Cle, everyone has known he could leave again.  He's maximizing his salary (after being "underpaid" most of his career...another reason why he's not signing a vet min contract anytime soon) now that the cap has exploded and allowing flexibility so he's in control, not the team.
I really wanted to do this with College Football Prospects. You know track the top blue chipped recruits and with in 3-4 yrs when they leaves see if they are still the highly ranked draft players they were recruited to College to begin with. I think all accounts on these things would be interesting. 

Can LeBron be seen by the masses as the GOAT if he is jumping teams and chasing titles?  
Nope and never would be. In fact I think that would tarnish his image more. A lot of these teams being stuck the last two are a degree partial on him. He runs the Cavs and Gilbert just does what LeBron says. Gilbert didn't and knew signing TT to that huge Deal wasn't helpful but LeBron wanted it done and TT on the Team and what LeBron wants He gets. This just isn't my opinion of him jumping to teams and chasing titles. Just sports fans in general hate that. It's why people jumped on KD this year as he took the easiest path to the title joining GS. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread