What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017-18 NBA (Playoffs): A gasping, wheezing thread begs message board poster arguing how Jordan never lost a Finals to just let it die in peace (4 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the Bulls can get #3 plus a future pick likely in the lottery for Butler, they need to do it. They're stuck in mediocrity hell right now.
Firing Gar/Pax would help stop the hell too. I'd take the #3 in the draft LA pick and Kings pick. If Most needs to dump some guys and we need to trade another guy or two to even out salary I'm al for it. Gladly take Smart and Olynk off their hands. 

No, you missed the point. Boston cares about the protection because it affects the value of the asset, and the other team they are dealing with will care about the value of the asset. 
I think honestly all the tweet meant was Pick protection wasn't a huge deal for them. Matters in terms of who they are trading them too for sure but other than that they could care less. 

If the Lakers and Kings picks are, for example, top 3 protected, that's a big deal because there's a pretty good shot those won't convey. 

Keith Smith‏Verified account @KeithSmithNBA  9m9 minutes ago
More
 Source: PHI was willing to give up so much because "Roster is about to get expensive. Days of cap space were numbered. Time to move forward"

Replying to @KeithSmithNBA
Joel Embiid & Nik Stauskas are both extension eligible this summer. Robert Covington is up for a new deal. PHI expect to add FA this summer.

If the Lakers and Kings picks are, for example, top 3 protected, that's a big deal because there's a pretty good shot those won't convey. 
Only if Both Teams aren't in the bot 3 though. Lakers pick isn't protected though. Only the Kings pick. No one knows what those protections are yet. 

thecatch said:
That makes no sense. The other team they are dealing with (if any) will care. 
Bobby Marks‏Verified account @BobbyMarks42  8m8 minutes ago

The league changed the rules last July allowing teams to put protection on unprotected picks they had received in a previous trade.

Example: PHI can protect the Lakers pick top 2. If BOS doesn't receive that pick, PHI would send their own 2018 first.

Make sense now? Basically if Bos gives up a pick they acquired from another team and protect it somehow and it doesn't go over then Bos has to send their own pick that same year instead. 

Just Win Baby said:
I think you mean the 21 Sixers pick won't mean much, but next year's Lakers pick should certainly be valuable.
There's value there, of course. But if the Sixers think that Fultz is better than #3 and whatever pick the Lakers would bring....it's a no brainer.  

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @WojVerticalNBA  8m8 minutes ago

Clarification on deal: Besides its 2017 FRP, Philly sends '18 Lakers pick w/ protections. If it doesn't convey, 76ers send 2019 Kings pick.

Adrian Wojnarowski‏Verified account @WojVerticalNBA  7m7 minutes ago

Adrian Wojnarowski Retweeted Adrian Wojnarowski

The 2018 Lakers pick to BOS has protections on top and bottom that could keep it in Philly, and if so, then 2019 Kings' pick goes to Boston.

Glad this trade finally make sense, and :lmao: . Crazy how people were acting like giving up 2 more early 1st round picks to move up 2 spots was perfect, but it was nuts to ask for more for that same haul for a Butler or George.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah... but it looks like both teams did find a happy middle ground.
Ugh. I realized awhile ago reading this board in the Eagles thread use to be two solid posters with inside info (One guy was friends with Kevin Kolb Family other dude had a guy who worked in Eagles FO and left for Indy) and their info was as close to correct as one could get. Either way I read a lot back then didn't post much but I learned 98% of fans and media don't know what the hell they are talking about and throwing crap on the wall hoping something sticks or generate ratings for TV show or radio. If I'm forced to listen to that dribble ever I always feel bad for that caller who calls in with a sensible opinion because either the host tears them down or the next caller calls in tearing it down or gives some hot take instead. 

Yeah seems like both teams did. Rumors are Boston isn't done dealing yet though. 

Yeah seems like both teams did. Rumors are Boston isn't done dealing yet though. 
I would be shocked if the Celtics don't make a big deal...it feels like this deal is step 1 towards whatever Ainge is trying to accomplish this offseason...with the #3 this year, the Nets pick next year, the Lakers/Kings pick in either 18 or 19, their own two picks in 18/19 and the Grizzlies and Clippers pick in 19 they are loaded up to make a big move...if they could somehow come out of this with something like Jimmy Butler-Gordon Hayward and a rookie like Jackson/Tatum/Isaac/Ball they will become a legit contender...that Brooklyn trade is turning into the Herschel Walker deal of the NBA...the fact Brooklyn did not include any lottery protection with four traded 1st-rounders is an all time great blunder... 

Don't think the Celtics got nearly enough for the swap and I have no idea what they are doing if they keep it with the way next year's draft looks and what will be available at 3 this year.  This is basically waving the white flag on having to give IT a max contract.  Plus if they keep the pick and sign Hayward, the logjam at 3-4 seems awkward.  This is the draft to get the PG of the future and to not do so just seems wrong somehow (there isn't a top 5 PG next year).

Don't think the Celtics got nearly enough for the swap and I have no idea what they are doing if they keep it with the way next year's draft looks and what will be available at 3 this year.  This is basically waving the white flag on having to give IT a max contract.  Plus if they keep the pick and sign Hayward, the logjam at 3-4 seems awkward.  This is the draft to get the PG of the future and to not do so just seems wrong somehow (there isn't a top 5 PG next year).
So am I reading it right that they only got one additional pick for moving down to 3? They must have the top-3 picks all ranked the same. 

So am I reading it right that they only got one additional pick for moving down to 3? They must have the top-3 picks all ranked the same. 
Yes...presumably they have whoever they think they want at 3 rated above Fultz and Ball.  That's fine in isolation, but if they end up keeping all these picks and assets, they're going to end up with a logjam at the 3-4.  That may not be bad in today's NBA, but none of these 3-4s are guys that can initiate an offense and they still only have one shot at Doncic/Porter next year (i.e. 3-4s that can initiate an offense).

This also means they are sort of wedding themselves to IT which I think is the bigger problem, but maybe they think something like IT/Butler/Hayward/Horford is enough to unseat Lebron and hope.

Agree - this is a massive bet on neither Fultz or Ball being franchise players. 

I'm going to enjoy reading all the Boston media homers who have been slobbering all over Fultz reverse course and start talking about how terrible he will be. 

Yes...presumably they have whoever they think they want at 3 rated above Fultz and Ball.  That's fine in isolation, but if they end up keeping all these picks and assets, they're going to end up with a logjam at the 3-4.  That may not be bad in today's NBA, but none of these 3-4s are guys that can initiate an offense and they still only have one shot at Doncic/Porter next year (i.e. 3-4s that can initiate an offense).

This also means they are sort of wedding themselves to IT which I think is the bigger problem, but maybe they think something like IT/Butler/Hayward/Horford is enough to unseat Lebron and hope.
I thought it was a great trade for them. That pick is a great asset. Very good chance of getting a top 5 pick in one of the next 2 drafts. And it would seem they are sold on one of Jackson/Fox/Tatum, which would make sense. Those guys are great.

And I'm not sure why there's a concern about a logjam at the 3-4. If whoever they pick at 3 is a stud and they get a Butler or Hayward, that's not some sort of problem (and I'm not sure what you mean about Hayward/Butler not being able to initiate offense). It's not like you can have too many good 3-4's (not like they are out of moves either).

Or, maybe it's that they are in love with Fox, with makes the point about IT moot.

If they are in love with what they can get at 3, it makes sense to add a nice asset.

Trying to get into the NBA...so take it easy

If they go Fox and run Fox, IT, Crowder,Hayward, Horford out there...is that a bad lineup?

Trying to get into the NBA...so take it easy

If they go Fox and run Fox, IT, Crowder,Hayward, Horford out there...is that a bad lineup?
I love Fox. I think he's a better prospect than anyone other than Fultz.  I don't know how that will affect the Cs' defense, but I thought he was pretty good on D in college.  I don't read much about him in the top bunch though.  I'm disappointed that the Celtics traded out of 1 because I thought they may take Ball, which would piss Lavar Ball off.  Now that's off.

Fox and IT together is not a slam-dunk, but it seems possible to me.

Fox isn't quite as tall as you'd like next to IT, but has a decent wingspan and seems to have the capacity to be a very good defender if he can get stronger and stay focused.  He will still need to stretch his shooting range, but in the end there are still the makings of a fair complement for IT.

There's a lot to like about Fox on the defensive end as well, where his lateral quickness allowed him to apply ball pressure impressively last season. When he's engaged, he displays impressive anticipation and active hands hounding the ball. An instinctual defender, Fox nonetheless has some rough edges, losing focus at times, not always fighting through the pick and roll, and lacking a degree of strength to defend bigger guards. Fox has the makings of a very capable defender at the next level with his combination of speed and size, but his ability to get stronger and dial in his efforts consistently will determine just how successful he can be. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/De-Aaron-Fox-72510/ ©DraftExpress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread