What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Burger/Onion poll (1 Viewer)

What kind of onions do you prefer on your burger?

• Raw onions

Votes: 91 38.6%
  • Grilled/Caramelized onions

Votes: 101 42.8%
  • No onions (If you vote this option please re-assess your life)

Votes: 44 18.6%

• Total voters
I started making my burgers with caramelized onions in a cast iron pan. I may never go back to grilling a burger again.
Yep, cast iron is the way to go for sure.  I find it's way too easy to overdo the carmelization though, when cooking at a high temp.  All it takes is a minute or two in the hot grease once you've taken the burgers off to rest....I've learned this the hard way.

Holeman & Finch style is the best method I've found: two 4oz. patties pounded 1/4" thin, cook 3 minutes on one side, flip, one patty gets finely shredded raw red onions, both patties get a Kraft single. Cook until cheese melts. :moneybag:  
I had one of their burgers a month ago at the new SunTrust Park.  I'm sure it's a pale imitation of the original, but it was still pretty GD tasty.

Not a huge onion fan they don't sit on my stomach well, especially raw onions, wife is the same way. I feel no need to reevaluate my life.

Burger, melted Kraft American cheese, Heinz ketchup, and a bun. Don't ruin your burger with tomato, pickles, and onions. Lettuce is OK but also unnecessary.

Yep, cast iron is the way to go for sure.  I find it's way too easy to overdo the carmelization though, when cooking at a high temp.  All it takes is a minute or two in the hot grease once you've taken the burgers off to rest....I've learned this the hard way.
Start the onions first at a lower temp

I will tell you what the raw onion is good for......cleaning the grill before you put the patty on it.  Anything other than that is just gross.  I really wish i could eat raw onion but, i find that they completely overpower whatever they are added too.  Caramelized white onions (red and green onions are the devil regardless of how they are prepared) can be okay but, if you soak just about anything in butter or olive oil it is going to taste pretty good.  

admittedly, I'm being a bit of a burger snob here.  But our family tends to eat more burgers than steak, so I'm going to be a little more snobbish on this than most things. 

I do agree though, the kraft cheese on a burger and toasted bun does taste good. 

I like mine with lettuce and tomato
Heinz 57 and French fried potatoes
Big kosher pickle and a cold draught beer
Well, good god almighty, which way do I steer...
Beat me to it.....haha

Burger, melted Kraft American cheese, Heinz ketchup, and a bun. Don't ruin your burger with tomato, pickles, and onions. Lettuce is OK but also unnecessary.
This sounds like a meal for a 6 year old.  Why don't you try this same thing with munster, provolone or blue cheese instead of that disgusting processed cheese, stone ground mustard instead of the ketchup, etc.  

Carmelized. 

Raw onions are too variable for me. A little bit of mild onion is pretty good, but if I get a bite of a strong raw onion, it not only screws up the burger, but has an effect on the rest of my meal, too.  Not worth the risk, so if my burger comes with raw onions on top, they end up off to the side. 

Carmelized onions are pretty much always tasty, though. 

This sounds like a meal for a 6 year old.  Why don't you try this same thing with munster, provolone or blue cheese instead of that disgusting processed cheese, stone ground mustard instead of the ketchup, etc.  
Mustard on a burger??  WTF

I had one of their burgers a month ago at the new SunTrust Park.  I'm sure it's a pale imitation of the original, but it was still pretty GD tasty.
Yeah I've had them at the restaurant, Turner Field and now Suntrust. The ballpark versions are a decent knockoff considering they're mass produced. I can't think of anything they serve at the park that I'd choose over that burger.

Raw onions chopped up and mixed in with the burger before cooking.
Exactly.

Typically I finely dice onions and add it to the meat, along with garlic powder, pepper and usually some seasoning salt. I also add a bit of Worcestershire sauce to the meat before I form the patties.

If I am doing "theme" burgers, like Hawaiian or Korean, I'll add some soy instead of the Worcestershire and maybe a little grated ginger and/or gochujang. Top it with melted swiss, a slice of pineapple or some garlic kimchi (depending on the theme), and Sriracha mayo.

How does chopping up the onion and adding it to the patty make it any better?  Seems like you're just going to end up with slightly cooked onions in there and you lose either the pungent flavor and crisp texture of a raw onion or the sweet caramelization of properly sauteed onions.

How does chopping up the onion and adding it to the patty make it any better?  Seems like you're just going to end up with slightly cooked onions in there and you lose either the pungent flavor and crisp texture of a raw onion or the sweet caramelization of properly sauteed onions.
There might be another reason, but all the people I know that do this, do it to keep the burger "moist"...all that tells me is they don't know how to cook a burger in the first place or aren't using the right meat in the first place.

Last edited by a moderator:
You are assuming that there aren't also onions on the burger?

There might be another reason, but all the people I know that do this, do it to keep the burger "moist"...all that tells me is they don't know how to cook a burger in the first place or aren't using the right meat in the first place.
I don't do it for moisture. That is a dumb notion. Adding some diced onions isn't going to change the point at which the meat gets dried out much, if at all.

I do it 100% for flavor. 

I don't do it for moisture. That is a dumb notion. Adding some diced onions isn't going to change the point at which the meat gets dried out much, if at all.

I do it 100% for flavor. 
This is good to know.  I'm not a big fan of steamed onions, but if that's your thing, this is certainly a way to accomplish it.

This is good to know.  I'm not a big fan of steamed onions, but if that's your thing, this is certainly a way to accomplish it.
Definitely knock something before you try it. 

And the onions are no more steamed than the meat is.
:confused:   I've had onions cooked in ground beef...in the form of meatloaf.  Hate it unless the onions are cooked first.  They are exactly steamed.  That's what happens when you cook something in a closed space that is almost 90% water.  Are you cooking the onion before putting it in the meat mixture?

Yeah I've had them at the restaurant, Turner Field and now Suntrust. The ballpark versions are a decent knockoff considering they're mass produced. I can't think of anything they serve at the park that I'd choose over that burger.
I chose it over the $26 tomahawk pork chop sandwich.  Did not regret it.

I chose it over the $26 tomahawk pork chop sandwich.  Did not regret it.
Also, off-topic, but the other pretty solid option I found there was the Sausage Haus way up top, I believe in LF.  I was pretty trashed, so I forget which of their offerings I chose (Polish?) but it was solid drunk eats and paired nicely with Hopsecutioner.

Also, off-topic, but the other pretty solid option I found there was the Sausage Haus way up top, I believe in LF.  I was pretty trashed, so I forget which of their offerings I chose (Polish?) but it was solid drunk eats and paired nicely with Hopsecutioner.
They've got a lot of great food & drink options surrounding that place. It's a little too stark and corporate now and needs some breaking in, but Turner Field didn't hold a candle.

I'll probably get made fun of for this--but I generally prefer raw onions for burgers that are cooked over (or under in the case of charbroiling)  fire.  On burgers that are not cooked over direct fire--i prefer that the onions be lightly caramelized as I find that their sweet smokey flavor almost gives the burger more of a fire "cooked taste".   

I'll probably get made fun of for this--but I generally prefer raw onions for burgers that are cooked over (or under in the case of charbroiling)  fire.  On burgers that are not cooked over direct fire--i prefer that the onions be lightly caramelized as I find that their sweet smokey flavor almost gives the burger more of a fire "cooked taste".   
Anyone that makes fun of you over a food preference is a tool of the highest order. Enjoy your burgers and onions!

They've got a lot of great food & drink options surrounding that place. It's a little too stark and corporate now and needs some breaking in, but Turner Field didn't hold a candle.
I tried before both the Friday night and Saturday afternoon games to sit down at either Yard House, the Fox Bros/Terrapin joint (this is where I really wanted to go) and at least two others (the pizza joint and the Todd English place).  2 1/2 hour waits for tables and it was about 90 minutes to game time.  Friday, I just went into the stadium and sat in my seat for an hour and half before the game started, Saturday I ended up at the GD Roxy drinking a $12 frozen Jack & Coke.  They have to get all the "coming soon" places open to spread out the crowd.

Your point is well-taken, though - the area around Turner is gruesome.  One night, the wife and I walked back to the hotel from the park, about a mile/mile-and-a-half.  I wouldn't have done that from Turner if you paid me $1,000.

You can make it taste even better by taking the onions out of the patty and add them to the onions you have outside the patty either raw or caramelized.  Half-cooked, translucent onions in the patty doesn't really add much.  
Sure it does as the onions essentially boil in the beef fat which releases the natural flavor oils from the onions into said fat and thus permeate the burger. You're trying too hard at food science here. 

Sure it does as the onions essentially boil in the beef fat which releases the natural flavor oils from the onions into said fat and thus permeate the burger. You're trying too hard at food science here. 
He's trying to hard to be a food snob with no clue.

Users who are viewing this thread