Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slapdash

***Official PSF Moderation Thread***

52 minutes ago, Joe Summer said:

You didn't just say something negative. You made a sweeping generalization ("Democrats are actively trying to destroy the country") without providing any substance or evidence to back it up. It's exactly the kind of thing that the moderators are trying to curtail.

Also, the moderators are anonymous for a reason. The Footballguys staffers use their real names for their usernames, and they don't want to end up getting stalked in real life by unstable posters who get bent out of shape because they got a warning. If you can't understand that concept, then you should seriously rethink your decision to utilize these forums.

And he is lucky he hasn’t been permananmed for his continued plagiarism after already being told not to do it multiple times.

1 hour ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

There are a lot of things that are accurate that would be against the rules to say here.

A few. Not too many, and not in this case. 

I agree with GoBirds: truth is a good defense in almost all situations. HellToupee wrote a pathetic post. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, timschochet said:

A few. Not too many, and not in this case. 

I agree with GoBirds: truth is a good defense in almost all situations. HellToupee wrote a pathetic post. 

More than you think.  I thought your post about a certain poster being "on the spectrum" was pretty accurate but was probably against the rules too.  

Also, there's a lot of pathetic posts on this forum. By a lot of people.  It is what it is.

37 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

More than you think.  I thought your post about a certain poster being "on the spectrum" was pretty accurate but was probably against the rules too.  

Also, there's a lot of pathetic posts on this forum. By a lot of people.  It is what it is.

He posed a question and I responded that Spectrum was my cable TV provider, so I was not offended (they are a bit pricy and I have been thinking about switching to DIRECT TV).

10 minutes ago, squistion said:

He posed a question and I responded that Spectrum was my cable TV provider, so I was not offended (they are a bit pricy and I have been thinking about switching to DIRECT TV).

You should check out Sling or Youtube.  No silly contract and cheaper.  :thumbup:

• Like 1

On 7/3/2018 at 10:28 PM, sho nuff said:

He’s palmin’ it.

Shouldn't this post give credit to the writer, actor, or movie?

4 hours ago, Joe Summer said:

You didn't just say something negative. You made a sweeping generalization ("Democrats are actively trying to destroy the country") without providing any substance or evidence to back it up. It's exactly the kind of thing that the moderators are trying to curtail.

Also, the moderators are anonymous for a reason. The Footballguys staffers use their real names for their usernames, and they don't want to end up getting stalked in real life by unstable posters who get bent out of shape because they got a warning. If you can't understand that concept, then you should seriously rethink your decision to utilize these forums.

Every party ever has claimed the other party was destroying the country.  That pretty much sums up politics.  That's why the warning was laughable.

Mods, just a thought as the "line" seems to vary from time to time and side to side how about time-outs specific to the forum. As this forum is where the issues occur and it's been said that punishments can vary depending on who the poster which makes it hard to track the line please consider time outs just from this forum so we can cool off in the stock thread or see how our idating friends are doing.

Thanks!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Mods, just a thought as the "line" seems to vary from time to time and side to side how about time-outs specific to the forum. As this forum is where the issues occur and it's been said that punishments can vary depending on who the poster which makes it hard to track the line please consider time outs just from this forum so we can cool off in the stock thread or see how our idating friends are doing.

Thanks!

I doubt this is part of the board functionality. 

17 minutes ago, Slapdash said:
33 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Thanks!

It is possible, it is just a pain to implement.

21 minutes ago, toshiba said:
38 minutes ago, Slapdash said:
55 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Thanks!

Good to know.  I agree with GoBirds here.  Calling Trump a moron shouldn't mean I can't check in on the bourbon thread. 

Just now, Slapdash said:
22 minutes ago, toshiba said:
40 minutes ago, Slapdash said:
56 minutes ago, GoBirds said:

Thanks!

Good to know.  I agree with GoBirds here.  Calling Trump a moron shouldn't mean I can't check in on the bourbon thread. 

Well of course not, it should get you honors and privileges...

2 hours ago, Slapdash said:

Bad news:  you can't check out the bourbon thread

Good news:  you can still be Trump's chief of staff.

• Like 1

Copied from T.J.'s thread (I thought we should have the discussion here, just in case T.J.'s thread mysteriously disappears):

16 minutes ago, T J said:
21 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Now, what does the word “trolling” mean to you?

Sorry. Is this trolling? I’m bored, yes. And do I enjoy poking? Yes. But it’s also true that the mindset I read on this board in particular just further ingrains my “anti that mindset” and I post sometimes for the sole purpose of getting under people’s skin. If that’s trolling, then whatever. 

I appreciate T.J.'s honesty here. Many posters have suspected that various Trump defenders were trolling, but none of them would ever admit to it, and unfortunately the moderators have continually given those posters every possible benefit of the doubt.

I can understand how it might be frustrating to see a Republican president getting criticized again and again and again. Under normal circumstances, the proper response would be to defend the president's behavior. But Trump's actions are often indefensible. And so what happens is that Trump defenders resort to "getting under people's skin" because it's the only response that has any effect.

I hope that the moderators take a long look at T.J.'s thread and use his mentality and his methods as a guideline for dealing with future posters who are suspected of trolling.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, HellToupee said:

Scooter had to be a teachers pet. 

My goodness

smh

You can choose to debate the merits of a post, or you can choose defensiveness and trolling.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, [scooter] said:

Copied from T.J.'s thread (I thought we should have the discussion here, just in case T.J.'s thread mysteriously disappears):

I appreciate T.J.'s honesty here. Many posters have suspected that various Trump defenders were trolling, but none of them would ever admit to it, and unfortunately the moderators have continually given those posters every possible benefit of the doubt.

I can understand how it might be frustrating to see a Republican president getting criticized again and again and again. Under normal circumstances, the proper response would be to defend the president's behavior. But Trump's actions are often indefensible. And so what happens is that Trump defenders resort to "getting under people's skin" because it's the only response that has any effect.

I hope that the moderators take a long look at T.J.'s thread and use his mentality and his methods as a guideline for dealing with future posters who are suspected of trolling.

Meh. Id much rather have people like TJ and Scat who are legit bad but geniune people over people like Quez/Qanon NFLsomethingorother. I know this is a false dichotomy, but Joe likes most of them and wants them around, so you gotta pick one group of them.

At this point it seems like the moderation itself has been gaslit.

When there's a post that does nothing other than a hyperbolic and imagined characteristic of the other side, what value in there is of it. And when there's posters whose posts are nothing but these over half the time, then what value is there in keeping them around. But somehow they're accepted as a matter of course.

Edited by Guest

When there's a post that something like, "Democrats are nothing but fringe idiots who want to use Nazi tactics to suppress free speech" the claim that someone might honestly believe it shouldn't be an excuse. It crosses a line of being so outlandish that someone almost certainly cannot believe that is actually true. And is so inflammatory that on the small chance that someone does believe that it's honestly true, then they and the statement have no purpose in, "adding" to the conversation on these boards. And yet, these are allowed to slide on a nearly-hourly basis.

46 minutes ago, Matthias said:

When there's a post that does nothing other than a hyperbolic and imagined characteristic of the other side, what value in there is of it. And when there's posters whose posts are nothing but these over half the time, then what value is there in keeping them around. But somehow they're accepted as a matter of course.

LOL biggest offender is the guy liking your post.  The board never fails to amuse me

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:
1 hour ago, Matthias said:

LOL biggest offender is the guy liking your post.  The board never fails to amuse me

Do you disagree with his point, or just looking to troll @Dedfin?

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, toshiba said:

Was that to me? :lol: dude follows me around like a dog in heat. I dont care what he says. Im sure hes a decent fellow and is just blowing off steam.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, toshiba said:

My point was quite clear.  If you believe I'm trolling dedfin then why aren't you accusing Matthias of trolling posters that he calls out?

• Like 2

Just now, Ramblin Wreck said:

My point was quite clear.  If you believe I'm trolling dedfin then why aren't you accusing Matthias of trolling posters that he calls out?

It’s a one way street with those guys

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Dedfin said:
11 minutes ago, toshiba said:

Was that to me? :lol: dude follows me around like a dog in heat. I dont care what he says. Im sure hes a decent fellow and is just blowing off steam.

No I was asking @Ramblin Wreck If he had an actual opinion on the post he replied to or was just looking to troll you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, toshiba said:

No I was asking @Ramblin Wreck If he had an actual opinion on the post he replied to or was just looking to troll you.

Oh yeah, im on your page. Sorry for my lack of clarity. Osting from my phone make me lazy.

Yeah like i said,  i dont care of he's trying to troll me. I for damned sure hope no one reports him.

Edited by Dedfin
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:
12 minutes ago, toshiba said:

Because I didn’t see @Matthias post, I saw yours.  Yes your point was Claire you were looking to troll @Dedfin

• Like 1

Just now, toshiba said:

Because I didn’t see @Matthias post, I saw yours.  Yes your point was Claire you were looking to troll @Dedfin

Just as it's clear you're trolling me as usual since you call me out for the exact same thing Matthias is doing.  I'm sure Dedfin will be in shortly to say you are acting like a dog in heat.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:

Yes. The real problem on these boards is pointing out people are posting garbage when they are posting garbage.

Just now, Matthias said:

Yes. The real problem on these boards is pointing out people are posting garbage when they are posting garbage.

Exactly what I did.  Glad we're on the same page.  :thumbup:

3 minutes ago, Ramblin Wreck said:
5 minutes ago, toshiba said:

Just as it's clear you're trolling me as usual since you call me out for the exact same thing Matthias is doing.  I'm sure Dedfin will be in shortly to say you are acting like a dog in heat.

No not trolling, I’m seriously curious if you have an opinion.

2 hours ago, Matthias said:

I think there’s a difference between a truly held (even if patently false) belief and trolling.  And between a post with “no value” and a troll post. 

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

I think there’s a difference between a truly held (even if patently false) belief and trolling.  And between a post with “no value” and a troll post. 

It depends.

If someone truly believes that the moon landing is faked, and tries to interject every time that the moon landing comes up, that it's faked, I can see that as somewhat forgivable if not pretty irritating.

But if someone truly believes that sinn fein eats babies, and goes around posting that sinn fein is a baby cannibal, then it's past the line the earnestness of their beliefs. The belief is prima facie ridiculous. And it's slander. And one shouldn't need to go into questions of intent in that instance.

It's somewhat different when you're categorizing a group. Saying sinn is himself is a nazi is somewhat different than saying that people with usernames relating to nationalist and/or terrorist organizations are nazis. But when that's the content of all that one says, there ceases to be much in the way of forgivable leniency. And that's allowed to slide all the time. People will say, "Trump supporters think/believe/act X." And others will say, "Liberals/libs/lefties think/believe/act X." But there's a necessary calculus there of first, how objectively accurate X really is. And then second, what %age of what people post are these types of things. Some generalizations necessarily slide into most conversations. But what's the accuracy and what's the frequency. Because those 2 things are not equal across everyone.

So one can say that one's definition of trolling is scienter and as such excludes those 2 categories. But I have a real difficulty in seeing what sort of positive is fostered by allowing these on a board or resolving them any differently.

5 minutes ago, Matthias said:

It depends.

If someone truly believes that the moon landing is faked, and tries to interject every time that the moon landing comes up, that it's faked, I can see that as somewhat forgivable if not pretty irritating.

But if someone truly believes that sinn fein eats babies, and goes around posting that sinn fein is a baby cannibal, then it's past the line the earnestness of their beliefs. The belief is prima facie ridiculous. And it's slander. And one shouldn't need to go into questions of intent in that instance.

It's somewhat different when you're categorizing a group. Saying sinn is himself is a nazi is somewhat different than saying that people with usernames relating to nationalist and/or terrorist organizations are nazis. But when that's the content of all that one says, there ceases to be much in the way of forgivable leniency. And that's allowed to slide all the time. People will say, "Trump supporters think/believe/act X." And others will say, "Liberals/libs/lefties think/believe/act X." But there's a necessary calculus there of first, how objectively accurate X really is. And then second, what %age of what people post are these types of things. Some generalizations necessarily slide into most conversations. But what's the accuracy and what's the frequency. Because those 2 things are not equal across everyone.

So one can say that one's definition of trolling is scienter and as such excludes those 2 categories. But I have a real difficulty in seeing what sort of positive is fostered by allowing these on a board or resolving them any differently.

Because a sincerely held belief can be changed through discussion.  Or people who didn't express it but are leaning toward it can be influenced by hearing the discussion.  It's the same idea as that behind freedom of speech.

8 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

Because a sincerely held belief can be changed through discussion.  Or people who didn't express it but are leaning toward it can be influenced by hearing the discussion.  It's the same idea as that behind freedom of speech.

So would you accept that when presented, multiple times, that one's belief is not true that it's no longer sincerely held? Or that if I sincerely believe that sinn is a baby cannibal should I be allowed to frequently propagate that idea here?

Further, given that it's essentially impossible to determine someone else's motivations simply by reading what they're writing online, how would you propose that one determines trolling?

Edited by Guest

Just now, Matthias said:

So would you accept that when presented, multiple times, that one's belief is not true that it's no longer sincerely held?

Further, given that it's essentially impossible to determine someone else's motivations simply by reading what they're writing online, how would you propose that one determines trolling?

I would not.  I would say many religious people fall into that camp, and yet they persist.  And I believe they are sincere.

How do you determine trolling?  By context and using some judgment.  It's the mods' call.  Sort of like a judge.

1 minute ago, Henry Ford said:

I would not.  I would say many religious people fall into that camp, and yet they persist.  And I believe they are sincere.

How do you determine trolling?  By context and using some judgment.  It's the mods' call.  Sort of like a judge.

Religious beliefs aren't the same as things which can be objectively analyzed.

So would you say that trolling is and should be based on a subjectively sincerely held belief. With determination of that subjectively held belief being made by inference and context.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, Matthias said:

Religious beliefs aren't the same as things which can be objectively analyzed.

So would you say that trolling is and should be based on a subjectively sincerely held belief. With determination of that subjectively held belief being made by inference and context.

I would say that trolling is more of a situation where one does not have a sincerely held belief, but rather expresses a false belief in order to get a reaction where it's not simply hyperbole for effect or sarcasm to express the extremeness of someone else's position, but instead an attempt to derail any serious conversation.  And that any determination of whether or not someone has a sincerely held belief, in the absence of an admission like TJs, involves inference and context.

2 minutes ago, Henry Ford said:

I would say that trolling is more of a situation where one does not have a sincerely held belief, but rather expresses a false belief in order to get a reaction where it's not simply hyperbole for effect or sarcasm to express the extremeness of someone else's position, but instead an attempt to derail any serious conversation.  And that any determination of whether or not someone has a sincerely held belief, in the absence of an admission like TJs, involves inference and context.

I agree that this is a reasonable and fairly workable standard.

I would then propose to flesh it out with what I said above. That what informs the inference and context is the objectively true/falsity/falsifiability of the claims and the frequency by which people make these claims vs how often they write other stuff. That when most everything they say is needling and/or inflammatory then it becomes increasingly likely that the intent is to derail, distract, and/or incite.

On 9/16/2018 at 3:50 PM, [scooter] said:

Thing is though, I wasn’t intentionally trolling. I was expressing my opinion and the mods suspended me because certain folks don’t care for the directness of my approach. It’s not a “method”. Just how I am. I’m blunt to a fault sometimes.

4 hours ago, T J said:

Thing is though, I wasn’t intentionally trolling.

You were intentionally trying to get under people's skin, weren't you?

Because that's pretty much the definition of trolling.

• Like 2