What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preschool/Daycare Does Not Allow Peanut Butter to Protect Children With Allergies (1 Viewer)

ClownCausedChaos2

Footballguy
My youngest son just started at a preschool in the area.  One of the rules is no peanut butter/products nor any type of "tree nut" is allowed in lunches or snacks.  Apparently, there are kids there that have these allergies.

My wife and I disagree on this approach and I was just sort of curious as to what others thought.  I understand that the allergy can be severe, but I don't really understand why we should be restricted by a need that another child has.  I feel it should be the responsibility of that child's parents and the school to arrange for that child's safety.

My wife, on the other hand, is wrong.  She feels that it should be everyone's responsibility to keep all of the children safe.  She even pulled the "what if it was our child card?".  I told her that I'd have demanded a paternity test, because no male offspring of mine would show any sort of weakness like an allergy.

Our son is not a picky eater.  In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter.  Peanut better sandwiches are one of his favorites, but he eats a lot of different foods.  I was just wondering where every falls on this subject on a Friday afternoon.

Should be a Little Melvin Can't Eat Peanuts thread in the archives, but in lieu of that I'm on the side that says keep your mutant offspring at home if they can't be around peanuts 

I'm as 'old school, rub some dirt on it, shut up and eat your veggies' as any millennial can be and I can't imagine fighting this battle. 

Kids with nut allergies can die from exposure. 

I got a question - what happens when these kids get out into the real world and somebody has peanut butter?  Our daughter's preschool was a 'no-nut' school and that's fine.  But I don't recall the same policy at her kindergarten or my son's middle school or my other son's high school.  Que sa dilla?

I got a question - what happens when these kids get out into the real world and somebody has peanut butter?  Our daughter's preschool was a 'no-nut' school and that's fine.  But I don't recall the same policy at her kindergarten or my son's middle school or my other son's high school.  Que sa dilla?
Right.  Can I demand my office be a peanut free Zone?  The local shopping mall?

I'm as 'old school, rub some dirt on it, shut up and eat your veggies' as any millennial can be and I can't imagine fighting this battle. 

Kids with nut allergies can die from exposure. 
No intention of fighting the battle.  I understand the potential danger.  I just found it odd.

4 kids, oldest has a peanut allergy - it's not the airborne variety but it's pretty severe - he can't touch a peanut shell without breaking out.  I was always apologetic when telling parents of his friends but we never asked that the schools restrict them.  We were just very careful with him and sent his epipen to school wit him.  However, we are fortunate his isn't worse.  We have PB in our house and he's now 16 so we almost don't even think about it.  I will say when he was younger it kind of freaked me out so I can't imagine what parents go through if their kid has the airborne variety. 

My children are in a nut free school too, no biggie.

They have a cousin with a severe peanut allergy, that has his mom claiming different allergies.....once claiming that they couldn't attend Christmas at our home because he's allergic to trees.....TREES

They have a cousin with a severe peanut allergy, that has his mom claiming different allergies.....once claiming that they couldn't attend Christmas at our home because he's allergic to trees.....TREES
If he's allergic to tree nuts, that's like half an allergy right there!

As the parent of a severely allergic 12 year old, the answer to your question about what happens when the get into the real world is that by that time they know not to put random food into their mouths.  Pre school, not so much...

Maybe this is your nephew. 

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/6d/8a/1c/6d8a1cb9ffd3b5693df43ddf23106229--allergy-testing-seasonal-allergies.jpg

This pic is pretty close to what my kids back look liked.  The peanut one being the largest by far.

Good news for us is that our son recently started a peanut desentization trial - he eats a little bit of peanut powder every day, and it steps up every two weeks.  In about six months kids can tolerate up to 7 peanuts.  I have a hard time not seeing this being commercially available within a couple of years.

I'm just grateful that my kids don't have any allergies.   Sucks for parent that have to go through this.  You don't want me to bring any tree nuts or peanuts, that's fine with me.   

They had to have done something in the last 20 years or so to peanuts because these allergies never existed before. But with that said, most schools go the peanut free route now in the classroom. My kids school allows peanut butter in the cafeteria. They also are dairy free in the classroom.

It used to be as long as you didn't eat it you were fine. Now if it's in the air, or they make any kind of tactile contact with peanut or dairy products they can have a serious reaction.

Guy at my work back in 2010 was allergic to peanuts. We had a day where they brought in chik fil a for the employees. The peanut oil in the air made him sick.  They moved him to another building for the day.

As the parent of a severely allergic 12 year old, the answer to your question about what happens when the get into the real world is that by that time they know not to put random food into their mouths.  Pre school, not so much...
I never considered the young-kids-grabbing-random-food angle.  Kids are quick and it only takes a second for an adult not looking.  That line of thinking has me changing my view.

I had all of this outrage at first too.

:shrug:

nyc's entire doe is peanut-free (1mil kids)... other than not getting to make pb&js part of the staple lunch, not been an issue at all.

that said- kids did a tennis camp over the summer... at this point we figure on everywhere being peanut free- but they'd send a weekly update about what kids allergies were present each week. dairy was there most weeks. no dairy- milk, cheese, etc. I PUT MY FOOT DOWN ON DAIRY.

They had to have done something in the last 20 years or so to peanuts because these allergies never existed before. But with that said, most schools go the peanut free route now in the classroom. My kids school allows peanut butter in the cafeteria. They also are dairy free in the classroom.

It used to be as long as you didn't eat it you were fine. Now if it's in the air, or they make any kind of tactile contact with peanut or dairy products they can have a serious reaction.

Guy at my work back in 2010 was allergic to peanuts. We had a day where they brought in chik fil a for the employees. The peanut oil in the air made him sick.  They moved him to another building for the day.
I'm not one of those conspiracy nuts (no pun intended), but I can't explain this one. Some say that doctors got wind of how severe the very few cases of peanut allergies there were and warned parents about feeding the kids peanuts until they were older so they could handle the shock better, but that turned out to be the cause of why so many developed an allergy to it because they weren't exposed to it early enough. That sounds fishy to me. But so does that they have fundamentally changed the peanut to cause this. 

I know they have peanut free days at baseball stadiums so kids with the allergy can go to a game. The little skins blowing off the nuts once the shell is broken open can hit kids with allergies and be a huge problem. That's crazy to me!

I never considered the young-kids-grabbing-random-food angle.  Kids are quick and it only takes a second for an adult not looking.  That line of thinking has me changing my view.
some kids are air-borne allergic too. or, your kid eats some nuts and touches a kid who's allergic- that can trigger it as well in some cases.

just remembered my daughter's preschool class had twins who were allergic to every possible thing under the sun, including the sun. they tried to impose their kids' allergies on to classmates' birthday parties- "can you make your cake gluten, dairy, sugar, nut free please". uhh... no. 

I'd assume that at preschool some kids are as aware to make sure they don't eat any nuts that may be in a cookie some random kid's parent made.

People should take responsibility for their allergies, but expecting a Pre-School kid to know all about it is a bit much.

Right.  Can I demand my office be a peanut free Zone?  The local shopping mall?
Actually mine is.....sort of.

We had a new employees start a few months ago and HR sent out an email asking everyone to limit the amount of peanut-ness at their desks and be extra careful when working with or going near said employee. 

They had to have done something in the last 20 years or so to peanuts because these allergies never existed before.
this is my question....what happened? Just posted in the crazy airline check thread about 30 years ago you could eat a bag of peanuts on the enclosed plane without anyone freaking out on you. 

I grew up on dairy, my father was a old school milk man for pete's sake and I always had a fridge full of milk,, butter, cheese and eggs. But now my daughter is lactose intolerant and I have a touch of it as well

someone is putting some #### in our food and its screwing a lot of people up. 

I'm just grateful that my kids don't have any allergies.   Sucks for parent that have to go through this.  You don't want me to bring any tree nuts or peanuts, that's fine with me.   
A guy named NutterButter would seem to be an authoritative source on this subject

Ahh, public school. We should all have to go to nut-free public schools. 

SEND YOUR BOYS SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!

BOYS, AVENGE ME.  

4 kids, oldest has a peanut allergy - it's not the airborne variety but it's pretty severe - he can't touch a peanut shell without breaking out.  I was always apologetic when telling parents of his friends but we never asked that the schools restrict them.  We were just very careful with him and sent his epipen to school wit him.  However, we are fortunate his isn't worse.  We have PB in our house and he's now 16 so we almost don't even think about it.  I will say when he was younger it kind of freaked me out so I can't imagine what parents go through if their kid has the airborne variety. 
Is this because he has his routine down when it comes to the allergy or the allergy has actually diminished?

Good question. My theory has always been that the obsession with hand sanitizer is killing all the germs we need to develop good immune systems. New parents (my wife included) was nuts about wiping everything down (including kids hands with that crap).

I told her we need to let our kids play in the dirt and on the floor so they can build up a strong system.

I'm sure there is a better reason for the increase, but this is all I got.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Fwiw we were told by one of the leading food allergists in the country that airborne food allergies are a myth.  At least for my son, who tests close to 100 on the peanut blood test, we were told the only possible reaction would be due to actual ingestion of a peanut.

i believe that a lot of this hysteria actually winds up hurting food allergic kids, because it causes such au understandable backlash. 

That said, it's not a huge ask for parents of pre school aged kids to plan their lunches with allergies in mind, in my opinion.

Check with your own doctor if you're impacted, but we treat chick fil a as safe for our son, who eats there probably once a week. Their processing of the peanut oil removes the allergen or something.  The same guy at UNC told us that.

I'm not one of those conspiracy nuts (no pun intended), but I can't explain this one. Some say that doctors got wind of how severe the very few cases of peanut allergies there were and warned parents about feeding the kids peanuts until they were older so they could handle the shock better, but that turned out to be the cause of why so many developed an allergy to it because they weren't exposed to it early enough. That sounds fishy to me. But so does that they have fundamentally changed the peanut to cause this. 

I know they have peanut free days at baseball stadiums so kids with the allergy can go to a game. The little skins blowing off the nuts once the shell is broken open can hit kids with allergies and be a huge problem. That's crazy to me!
When we had my daughter in 2010 pediatrician was strict about no peanut butter until 2.....when we had my son in 2015 we were told by the same pediatrician, no pb restrictions because the new science says they need to be exposed early.

:loco:

MIL works for an allergy doc.  The bolded is 100% legit.  

I always thought about this too.  Like when on an airplane and someone packs a PBJ sandwich in a cabin that recirculates air and the plane  is nowhere near a medical facility if a reaction happens.

They also will be old enough to carry their own EpiPen and administer it...

Crazy thing I learned with my kid and peanut allergies is that the whole "My kid has severe allergies" Vs "My kid had mild allergies" is a roll of the dice - I thought my kid was mild and "just threw up" until she had a severe reaction - and you never know - it all changes without warning and depending on exposure...

I talked to medical ppl who have Zero allergies but carry an epipen because they want to be prepared for anyone around them plus you just never know when if you're exposed to something you didn't even know you were allergic to...... Crazy.

I always thought about this too.  Like when on an airplane and someone packs a PBJ sandwich in a cabin that recirculates air and the plane  is nowhere near a medical facility if a reaction happens.
I have been on a few flights where they announce prior to take off that there was a passenger on board with a severe peanut allergy so no peanuts would be served and no peanuts should be consumed.  Short flight so i didn't care. 

My oldest has a pretty severe peanut and tree-nut allergy. The pre-school wasn't nut free in classrooms, but they used a "nut-free table" approach. That all changed the day he grabbed some food off another table and put it in his mouth...and the ambulance came. Frankly, these schools are probably trying to protect themselves by making rooms nut free. 

I also had to inject my son with an Epi-pen on Christmas Eve one year (followed by a hospital trip) because he ate a jellybean at a party that had peanut butter in it. 

Regarding birthday parties and such, we would always send nut free treats that he could take with him in place of cookies or cake.

Once they get to be 6 or 7, kids know how the allergy works, how to read labels, and how to ask about contamination. It isn't a big deal after that. My only fear is a Freaks and Geeks style bullying prank where someone slips him some PB without his knowing. Luckily, his allergy is getting better, and that won't kill him. 

Elbowrm is correct. My town's elementary schools are peanut free, the middle and high schools have more relaxed rules. I have a feeling part of the source of the rules is the school system is scared of being sued by a family. I can understand this, because you know how obnoxious can get about lawsuits. Easy to just rule against them and the school is in better shape.

I have been on a few flights where they announce prior to take off that there was a passenger on board with a severe peanut allergy so no peanuts would be served and no peanuts should be consumed.  Short flight so i didn't care. 
Would you have cared if it was a long flight? 

I always leave a peanut or two in the seat backs as booby traps in case peanut allergic folks need to reach in for literature. 

Would you have cared if it was a long flight? 
hahaha...no i am not a big peanut, unless they are in a very salty shell, fan.  I always ask for the pretzels or just bring my own snack mix to go along with my drinks on the flight. 

When I go a ballgame, an allergic kid would need to wear a hazmat suit by the 3rd inning.
Truth. 

Back when My Dad, Brother and I would go, there would be a couple/few inch bed of shells on the ground under our seats by the 7th inning. 

Fwiw we were told by one of the leading food allergists in the country that airborne food allergies are a myth.  At least for my son, who tests close to 100 on the peanut blood test, we were told the only possible reaction would be due to actual ingestion of a peanut.
This is not true. I could tell when it was lobster night in the dfac because my eyes and throat would start itching the moment I walked in the door. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I've probably told this story somewhere in the FFA over the years....our first was born in 2001.  Our pediatrician told us to not give him peanut butter for the first couple of years.  Sounded odd to me but hey, he's the doc.  Just about everyone we tell this to think we are crazy for not giving him peanut butter but we decide to listen to the doc and not give him any once he starts eating real food.  Fast forward about a year - he's around  18 months and I'm watching him alone one day and make myself a PB&J.  He's running around acting crazy and I'm eating my sandwich - like a normal 18 month old he runs up and wants a bite of sandwich.  Without thinking I give him a bite - immediately I remember I'm not supposed to give him PB but I figure, what they heck.  Big mistake - within a minute or so he's breaking out in hives and I'm freaking the #### out.  I call my wife - she thankfully stays calm and asks how his breathing is, which is fine.  She says give him Benadryl and call the pediatrician.  I do and they tell me to bring him in immediately or if he's having trouble breathing take him to the ER.  By the time I get to the doctor the hives aren't as bad.  They check him out, basically say he's allergic and to not give it to him again until he's tested.

He's (accidentally) had it twice since - both times when he was younger and someone gave him something that had peanuts in it without thinking.  Both times he projectile vomits everywhere and empties the contents of his stomach out.

I'll never forget how I felt when he first started having that initial reaction - I don't wish that feeling on anyone.

i believe that a lot of this hysteria actually winds up hurting food allergic kids, because it causes such au understandable backlash. 

That said, it's not a huge ask for parents of pre school aged kids to plan their lunches with allergies in mind, in my opinion.

Check with your own doctor if you're impacted, but we treat chick fil a as safe for our son, who eats there probably once a week. Their processing of the peanut oil removes the allergen or something.  The same guy at UNC told us that.
I'm sure it's not prevalent but I've read stories which makes me believe airborne is a real thing.  I know my son's is more than just ingesting.  If he touches peanut shells or peanuts he has broken out.

And same experience with Chick-fil-a - kid eats that all the time, no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread