What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Catalan Referendum (1 Viewer)

It wouldn't surprise me if Russia were actively trying to foment rebellion in Catalunya. The infighting within nations weakens the EU as each country turns their attentions inward instead of a more integrated Europe.

This is the era of chaos.
Without a doubt.

The federal government is clearly willing to go in and physically put down insurrection.  Without a legal case, outside support, or a means to engage the federal military/police what do the Catalan lawmakers hope to gain from this?  Seems like they are putting their people at great risk without any kind of plan.

Economic crisis, followed by rise of populist white nationalists, followed by Spanish Civil War...feels like I've seen this film before.
This is not going to be a civil war. At worst (and that will be bad enough) it will be an intifada

Last edited by a moderator:
It's an opinion piece.  I have no idea what you mean by true.  That the writer believes it? 
He was quoting/disagreeing with what I wrote, specifically 'Political prisoners, police brutality, internet censorship, and disgraceful apathy in 2017 EU.'  

The last one might be subjective but the first three aren't.  I can point him to the Amnesty International report if he's still confused.  

He was quoting/disagreeing with what I wrote, specifically 'Political prisoners, police brutality, internet censorship, and disgraceful apathy in 2017 EU.'  

The last one might be subjective but the first three aren't.  I can point him to the Amnesty International report if he's still confused.  
I thought he was responding to what you bolded.  My apologies.

I thought he was responding to what you bolded.  My apologies.
He may have meant the editorial, but denying the basic reality of police wailing on voters fits with his other posts about Spain being 'gentle.' not being 'brutal or cruel' 

Last edited by a moderator:
Arrest order issued for Puidgemont throughout EU

I'm sure that'll count as grounds for political asylum somewhere

:sarcasm:  

Unsurprisingly

Spanish SC gives long jail sentences to Catalan Separatist leaders for sedition

The nine leaders, who had already spent months in pre-trial detention, were acquitted of a more serious charge of rebellion.

The remaining three defendants were earlier released on bail.

Monday's ruling comes after four months of hearings.

During their closing arguments in June, defence lawyers told the court their clients denied the charges of rebellion and sedition, but admitted to the lesser charge of disobedience, which could have seen them banned from public office but avoid prison.
Carles Puigdemont, the former Catalan president who escaped trial after fleeing Spain before he could be arrested in 2017, said the sentences handed to separatist leaders of "100 years in total" were "an atrocity".

"Now more than ever... it is time to react like never before," he wrote on Twitter, adding: "For the future of our sons and daughters. For democracy. For Europe. For Catalonia."

The Catalan National Assembly called for "mobilisations around the globe" - including in the UK, France and Germany - in a tweet using the hashtag #StandUpForCatalonia
Lets see if this has any wheels

Users who are viewing this thread