What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Maine FBGs (or anyone who knows about ME) - travel tips (1 Viewer)

Andrew74

Footballguy
My Mom has always wanted to go to Maine (and New England in general).  So I am going to take her this coming summer.  She wants, "to see a moose, visit lighthouses, and eat lobster."  The last one is pretty easy.  Anyone have any rec'd or suggestions, especially the moose part?  I am guessing we'll be flying into Portland.  Any help is appreciated.

I know there have been some other Maine threads that you can probably find via search.

I've only stayed along the coast on my trips to ME.  You will find moose more inland.  Baxter State Park is likely the best bet to see the most, but I'm guessing others can advise on where else to see.

I've flown into Bangor. So, you could do that instead of Portland.  If you go the Baxter State Park route, it will be a shorter drive from Bangor.

A couple of famous lighthouses you could see are the Portland Head Light and the West Quoddy Head Light (latter is also the easternmost point in the US).

Acadia National Park is worth including on the trip too.  There's also a lot of good maritime towns along the coast, if she/you are into that too.

I know there have been some other Maine threads that you can probably find via search.

I've only stayed along the coast on my trips to ME.  You will find moose more inland.  Baxter State Park is likely the best bet to see the most, but I'm guessing others can advise on where else to see.

I've flown into Bangor. So, you could do that instead of Portland.  If you go the Baxter State Park route, it will be a shorter drive from Bangor.

A couple of famous lighthouses you could see are the Portland Head Light and the West Quoddy Head Light (latter is also the easternmost point in the US).

Acadia National Park is worth including on the trip too.  There's also a lot of good maritime towns along the coast, if she/you are into that too.
Good idea about Bangor.  That would be closer to moose while also having access to the coastline.

My parents rave about Acadia National Park. They say it's really, really nice there. HTH 
Noted!  Thanks!

I would fly into Manchester, rent a car and head north on !-93, east on the Kangamangus Hwy thru NH's Presidential Range and stay along there or in Conway NH the first day. Second day up St Rte 16 thru Maine's lake district (Umbegog, Mooselookmeguntic, Rangeley) stay there 2nd nite. THAT's Moose Maine up that rud a fer piece. Day 3 down to Baaah Harbor, Day 4, Mt Desert (Acacdia), Day 5,6 work your way down the coast (take the Prince of Fundy ferry over to Nova Scotia if you have time). Portland and Portsmouth NH are grrrreat restaurant towns and Manchester's an hr from Portsmouth. Nice circle run of the Maine not all tourists see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Let us know how long you'll be staying for.

Acadia is beautiful but also a bit far up the coast. If you are gonna spend a week in Maine, cool. If you are making a weekend out of it some may suggest different ideas.

I would fly into Manchester, rent a car and head north on !-93, east on the Kangamangus Hwy thru NH's Presidential Range and stay along there or in Conway NH the first day. Second day up St Rte 16 thru Maine's lake district (Umbegog, Mooselookmeguntic, Rangeley) stay there 2nd nite. THAT's Moose Maine up that rud a fer piece. Day 3 down to Baaah Harbor, Day 4, Mt Desert (Acacdia), Day 5,6 work your way down the coast (take the Prince of Fundy ferry over to Nova Scotia if you have time). Portland and Portsmouth NH are grrrreat restaurant towns and Manchester's an hr from Portsmouth. Nice circle run of the Maine not all tourists see.
Wicked has nailed this if your Mom is serious about the moose thing. If not this is still a great plan.
Summertime in Conway NH can be a little jammed with traffic but once you are out of there it's
all good. Portland has almost no chain restaurants and you can't walk two blocks without running
into a place to eat. 

Portland Head Lighthouse is easy to find. Many Portland downtown restaurants have great seafood, including lobster, don't go to McDonald's for it. Acadia is beautiful and has moose tours along with lighthouses too. 

Just don't call Coke, Pepsi, etc anything but soda (this is from a transplanted Mid-westerner). 

Wicked has nailed this if your Mom is serious about the moose thing.
I've been to every one of the contiguous 48 and specialized in getting off the beaten track, and northern Maine - from Rangely (enjoyable to anyone with 2 days to screw around) up to the Alagash/Katahdin (NOT recommended to any but adventure sportsmen) - is the most wildernessy.

Surprised the hell out of me - i grew up in Boston, went to BS camp in Maine & my best friend's folks had a summer cabin in the Portland Islands so i knew Maine the way most New Englanders do. But when some sporting friends wanted to do a Deliverance thang up on the Allagash River and we went by way of Rangeley, i could not believe how ghostly raw, moist, mossy, foggy, muggy & buggy (earlier in the summer the better in all N country, esp w bugs) it was. Really quite an otherworldy experience 

anakin said:
Just don't call Coke, Pepsi, etc anything but soda (this is from a transplanted Mid-westerner). 
My family is from TN, so this might be a problem.   :D

Suggestions for best family vacation spots with younger kids (4-6)?
Probably depends on what the kids and you are into.  Acadia/Bar Harbor is pretty family friendly and has a lot of hiking and outdoor activities.  Mostly B&B-type places to stay at.

More south, you could have a more relaxing stay on the beach or at a resort property with pools, etc.  I stayed at Hidden Pond in Kennebunkport awhile back — nice resort with a lot of kid-friendly activities.

Probably depends on what the kids and you are into.  Acadia/Bar Harbor is pretty family friendly and has a lot of hiking and outdoor activities.  Mostly B&B-type places to stay at.

More south, you could have a more relaxing stay on the beach or at a resort property with pools, etc.  I stayed at Hidden Pond in Kennebunkport awhile back — nice resort with a lot of kid-friendly activities.
This is what everyone was thinking just wasn’t sure if other locations should be in he running?

The house we looked at was on a cliff of a rocky beach which looks awesome but I worry may not be the best for kids? Is there a location in town that is best access to beach and state park and any resort worth considering as opposed to a house? Notice not many pools which makes sense s probably only a couple months a year usable. Thanks!

Holidays rentals? I always enjoyed Damariscotta that way. Halfway between Portland & Acadia, north of the daytrippers, and i always found big lakes near the sea to be a real freakatron of watery fun. Plus, you can just puke, wolfing off berry bushes all day in season down there. Couldnt tell you about value cuz its been a long time and that whole scene has changed so much since airbnb

GoBirds said:
This is what everyone was thinking just wasn’t sure if other locations should be in he running?

The house we looked at was on a cliff of a rocky beach which looks awesome but I worry may not be the best for kids? Is there a location in town that is best access to beach and state park and any resort worth considering as opposed to a house? Notice not many pools which makes sense s probably only a couple months a year usable. Thanks!
There are some larger hotels in the town of Bar Harbor:  Harborside is one that I remember researching; Bayview is another.  I ended up staying at a smaller B&B-type place (Moseley Cottage).  So, I can’t give you personal experience on the larger ones. There’s no beach in the town of Bar Harbor that I’m aware of (excluding the beach within Acadia National Park), but maybe there is elsewhere on the island.  I think the Harborside and Bayview that I mentioned have pools though.

Portland Head Lighthouse is easy to find. Many Portland downtown restaurants have great seafood, including lobster, don't go to McDonald's for it. Acadia is beautiful and has moose tours along with lighthouses too. 

I learned this in the mid 90’s when I moved to NH. Growing up in Ohio, I called all soda, pop. I was quickly informed pop(s) is another name for suckers and soda was the correct pronounciation for soft drinks. 

“Wicked” was used in an excessive matter also! If I had a dollar for every time I heard “wicked cool” I would be well off. 

Dont live there anymore but love New England! 

Suggestions for best family vacation spots with younger kids (4-6)?
Unless your kids are very into hiking/climbing, I wouldn't put Acadia at the top of my list.  I'd probably recommend Old Orchard Beach.  The kids would have http://www.palaceplayland.com/ to keep them entertained, and it's a beautiful beach for you and the missus.  Lots of French Canadians flock here in the summer months so you get to observe that as well.

My Mom has always wanted to go to Maine (and New England in general).  So I am going to take her this coming summer.  She wants, "to see a moose, visit lighthouses, and eat lobster."  The last one is pretty easy.  Anyone have any rec'd or suggestions, especially the moose part?  I am guessing we'll be flying into Portland.  Any help is appreciated.
I would stay in Bar Harbor if this is what you're looking to do.  Beautiful town with amazing national park nearby.  It doesn't get much more New Englandy  than this area. Not sure about moose but I hear there are companies that do that type of tour.  If you do happen upon a moose, stay far away from it.  Although they look to be very docile, their mood can change abruptly, and you don't want to be anywhere near a 1000 lb moose that's pissed off. 

The NH, and I assume Maine moose population has taken a huge hit due to tics.  Population is not what it once was so seeing them without a guide is less likely to occur than in the past

Unless your kids are very into hiking/climbing, I wouldn't put Acadia at the top of my list.  I'd probably recommend Old Orchard Beach.  The kids would have http://www.palaceplayland.com/ to keep them entertained, and it's a beautiful beach for you and the missus.  Lots of French Canadians flock here in the summer months so you get to observe that as well.
Really rather drive an hour and half to go to Story Land than OOB. Place is a dump with French speaking fat guys like me wearing speedos 

Old Orchard is the biggest collection of white trash in the state

Palace Playland isn't for 4 and 6 year old kids. The beach in Old Orchard is nice but
I don't think I would vacation there. 

I never said OLB was high society.  But it's a fun place if your a kid and the beach is fantastic for adults.  Pretty sure any reasonably person or child could get past seeing an old fat French guy in a speedo and still enjoy the positives of the area.  Please don't try and tell me that Story Land is upper tier compared to OLB.  To coin a recent popular term, it's a "###hole" in the middle of nowhere.  We're talking about 4 and 6 year olds.  Not highly cultured FBG's like the rest of you haters. 

If you want to go to the beach, go south. If you want to go to Maine, go to Acadia.

My recommendation would be to download the tvfoodmaps app and let that be your travel guide. Every place does the lobster roll a little differently and they're all freakin delicious.  :thumbup:

I think it depends on how far out of your way you're willing to go to see a moose. They're primarily in the North Central Region. Getting there and back from a typical touristy areas is one day there and one day back by car and even then, there's no guarantee even then that you'll see one.  Will a stuffed moose do?  There's plenty of them on display at most visitor centers. 

When I vacation in Maine I typically make a conscientious effort to either stay in the North Country (Baxter State Park over to Acadia State Park) or just focus on the Mid Coast.  There's too much to see and do unless you have 4 weeks of vacation to spend there. 

I'm more familiar with the coast, so here's what I'd suggest:

Day 1:

Fly into Boston, and drive along the Mass coast up to New Hampshire and be in Maine within 2 hours from the airport. Depending on how far you want to drive, you could spend the first night in Portsmouth NH, Kittery, or York.  York has one of the most iconic lighthouses (Nubble Light).  

Day 2

Drive up Route 1 to Ogunquit, for a walk about, and then on to Kennebunkport for Lunch, and then onto Portland for an overnight. 

Day 3

Spend the entire day in Portland (Portland Headlight, Bug Light, and Spring Ledge Lighthouses)  Portland also has the Old Port District,  nice shops and good food.

Day 4 & 5

Spend the night in Portland, or head out late on day 3 to Boothbay Harbor or Bristol. 

Boothbay has some good shops, food and harbor.

Not a lot in Bristol other than it has another iconic lighthouse: Pemaquid Light.

Depending on how much time you have, it's a full day to take a ferry out to Monhegan Island. You can get a ferry from Boothbay or Bristol.

Day 6

Drive up to Rockport for the art galleries, (if you're into that sort of thing) and then Camden.  One of the most picturesque harbors in Maine. Both towns have nice eating spots and views.  You can also get a harbor tour on a sail boat in either Rockport or Camden.

Day 7 & 8

Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park.  Lots of great sites and shops in Bar Harbor.  Plan an early morning to watch the sunrise on Cadillac Mountain.  It's easy access and a highlight.  

Day 8 & 9

Take an expressway route from Acadia back to Boston (4-6 hours depending on stops) If you have the extra day or two left to spend in Boston, and if you've never been, take advantage of it and see it. 

If I were pressed for time, I might fly into a more centrally located location, maybe skip Boothbay Harbor, Bristol and Monhegan. 

If money was no object, I would buy a home in Camden, Maine.  It's a beautiful coastal area. 

Hey OTR and others, please critique:

We're flying into Boston for a 9 nite trip (just me and my wife) second week in June. We're staying the first 3 nites in the Kimpton Nine Zero in Boston and want to just explore on foot, Sox game on nite 2 which is a Thur vs. Detroit. Could use some dining suggestions, we like good food and drink.

Morning of day 4 cab/uber to airport Alamo and grab a car and drive to Camden using the route you detailed above. 2 nites in Camden in a nice place with a harborview balcony.

Morning of day 6 drive to Bar Harbor and spend 3 nites in town again with waterview balcony. We are avid cyclers and will rent bikes to ride the carriage trails in Acadia and my wife has to get her NP passport stamped. Maybe 1 day of hiking too, will work in microbreweries and lobster.

Leave the last day to buzz back to Boston and could use suggestions for the way back- maybe spend mid portion of day in Portland. Then get a room close to the airport so we can return car early am the next day and catch our 10:00am flight back to Tampa.

TIA!!

We're flying into Boston for a 9 nite trip (just me and my wife) second week in June. We're staying the first 3 nites in the Kimpton Nine Zero in Boston and want to just explore on foot, Sox game on nite 2 which is a Thur vs. Detroit. Could use some dining suggestions, we like good food and drink.

Morning of day 4 cab/uber to airport Alamo and grab a car and drive to Camden using the route you detailed above. 2 nites in Camden in a nice place with a harborview balcony.

Morning of day 6 drive to Bar Harbor and spend 3 nites in town again with waterview balcony. We are avid cyclers and will rent bikes to ride the carriage trails in Acadia and my wife has to get her NP passport stamped. Maybe 1 day of hiking too, will work in microbreweries and lobster.

Leave the last day to buzz back to Boston and could use suggestions for the way back- maybe spend mid portion of day in Portland. Then get a room close to the airport so we can return car early am the next day and catch our 10:00am flight back to Tampa.

TIA!!
I'm jealous.  Looks perfect. Not sure about your timing, locals from Maine might be better to answer what traffic will be like up and down the coast that week.  Either way, it looks great!

And the extra day in Portland on the way back will be icing on the cake. 

I'm jealous.  Looks perfect. Not sure about your timing, locals from Maine might be better to answer what traffic will be like up and down the coast that week.  Either way, it looks great!

And the extra day in Portland on the way back will be icing on the cake. 
I ended up booking a room on the eve of our departure in Portsmouth. Only 1 hour to Alamo drop-off at Logan and a fraction of the hotel prices in Boston. Also opted for a nice room at the Acadia Hotel because they provide bicycles (saves us $100 for rentals) and we can park and then hoof/bike around and not worry about finding parking in the town. I see that school will still be in session in Maine and there is a cruise ship arriving in Bar Harbor the same day we get there but the cruisers have to back on board by 5:00 so most will be back on ship around the time we arrive. 

Moxy is a food experience worth having. You can spend a fortune, cuz it's mostly tapas, but you dont have to and it's worth it if you do
I'm spending some time in Portsmouth this summer (using some Marriott points at Wentworth by the Sea).  May have to check that place out.  Toddler friendly, or not quite?

This, hit Halifax if you have time.  Not sure if you need passports.

TIA!!
You mentioned craft beer so I would highly recommend you stop at Maine Beer Company in Freeport, about 20 minutes north of Portland. Lunch is their IPA and it is excellent as is their Double IPA (Dinner), in fact most of their beers are at least really good. 

Also, if it is a nice day as you are leaving Portland you can stop at Ogunquit and walk the Marginal Way and get a lobster roll at Barnacle Billy's in Perkins Cove. The queers (not that there is anything wrong with that)  took over Ogunquit years ago but it is a great place to visit.

I'm spending some time in Portsmouth this summer (using some Marriott points at Wentworth by the Sea).  May have to check that place out.  Toddler friendly, or not quite?
it sure doesnt seem they would have a prob that way, but the dining public will always appreciate you calling & checking. the Wentworth's lovely -

We'll be there in a few weeks, just fine tuning our driving route from the Logan Alamo to Camden. Google is saying 3.5 hours via 95/295/ exit Brunswick thru Bath continue on US1.  This will be on a Sat 6/9 and we should be in the car around 10:00am. Will the traffic on 1 heading north be ridiculous? I hate to spend the day crawling along bumper to bumper. Would it be more prudent to exit further north off of 295/95 at like Hallowell and take 17 east to Rockport?

We'll be there in a few weeks, just fine tuning our driving route from the Logan Alamo to Camden. Google is saying 3.5 hours via 95/295/ exit Brunswick thru Bath continue on US1.  This will be on a Sat 6/9 and we should be in the car around 10:00am. Will the traffic on 1 heading north be ridiculous? I hate to spend the day crawling along bumper to bumper. Would it be more prudent to exit further north off of 295/95 at like Hallowell and take 17 east to Rockport?
shouldnt be a prob. going south on Sunday evenings can be dicey, but nothing like the Cape Cod traffic. My sister lives in Seabrook and many were the summer Saturdays we drove down Maine (both the Rte1A/9 surface roads & the fwys) for the day without being truly clogged.

ETA: Logan's ALWAYS a clusterhug. thank yourself for any chance to change to Manchester

Reviving this thread for some Portland vs Camden insight.  I am planning a summer trip with the family (wife, 18 yr old and 19 yr old).  We are starting in Boston and finishing in Bar Harbor/Acadia.  We have some play dates in between and I am trying to decide whether to budget more time for Portland or Camden.  As of now, I am planning to leave Boston on a Sunday and arrive in Portland by late morning.  We would bounce around town a little bit, eat lunch, an afternoon lobster fishing trip, dinner then head out to Camden that evening for a 2 night stay there before heading to Bar Harbor on Tuesday.   However, I keep thinking we should  take more time in Portland, maybe spend one night in each place or eliminate Camden all together?  I currently have a sunset sailing trip booked in Camden on Monday evening, but we could probably do similar out of Portland just as easily.  Is Camden too good to miss?  Outside of Mount Battie, I am not seeing a whole lot there...what am I missing?

Reviving this thread for some Portland vs Camden insight.  I am planning a summer trip with the family (wife, 18 yr old and 19 yr old).  We are starting in Boston and finishing in Bar Harbor/Acadia.  We have some play dates in between and I am trying to decide whether to budget more time for Portland or Camden.  As of now, I am planning to leave Boston on a Sunday and arrive in Portland by late morning.  We would bounce around town a little bit, eat lunch, an afternoon lobster fishing trip, dinner then head out to Camden that evening for a 2 night stay there before heading to Bar Harbor on Tuesday.   However, I keep thinking we should  take more time in Portland, maybe spend one night in each place or eliminate Camden all together?  I currently have a sunset sailing trip booked in Camden on Monday evening, but we could probably do similar out of Portland just as easily.  Is Camden too good to miss?  Outside of Mount Battie, I am not seeing a whole lot there...what am I missing?

I love Camden. I stayed at the Camden Harbour Inn, and had dinner at Natalie's -- would do that again in a heartbeat (but I'm not sure if kids would be as into the fine dining). Camden does have a pretty picturesque harbor, and windjammers are pretty unique there.

But one night in each place may be a good idea to break up the driving, as I think driving up to Camden after dinner in Portland would be a lot (if I'm on vacation, I'd want to be able to enjoy some wine/beer at dinner without a 2 hour drive ahead of me). Could spend some additional time in Portland; maybe check out the Portland Head Light while out there too.

Drive up the next morning to Camden (and could take time heading up Rte 1 -- as it is a beautiful drive relative to 95, if you took that up to Bar Harbor through Bangor). Gives you an afternoon to go sailing in Camden and check out the town. Then could go to the top of Mount Battie the next morning before continuing the drive up to Bar Harbor.

ETA: I just looked at my itinerary from last time I was in Maine (did a weeklong drive along the coast). Our hotel nights ended up like this: 1 night in Lubec, 2 nights in Bar Harbor, 1 night in Camden, 1 night in Portland, 2 nights in Kennebunkport.

I lived in Portland for 17 years. It is a cool town. Unless there is some special event going on you can spend one day there.

I lived in Portland for 17 years. It is a cool town. Unless there is some special event going on you can spend one day there.
I will at least do that...I have 3 days/2nights to work with between Portland and Camden.  Just trying to decide how best to split that up.  I am starting to lean about half and half with one night in each town.  Having lived there, do you have any good recommendations or local insights to share?

i'd like to help, but giving up Mainsplaining was a New Year's resolution........but Portsmouth as almost as good a food town as........

Galileo said:
I will at least do that...I have 3 days/2nights to work with between Portland and Camden.  Just trying to decide how best to split that up.  I am starting to lean about half and half with one night in each town.  Having lived there, do you have any good recommendations or local insights to share?
I think you have a good plan. Bar harbor/Acadia is where you want to spend the time.

Users who are viewing this thread