What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Official Floor Thread: Anyone used vinyl plank flooring? (1 Viewer)

Da Guru

Fair & Balanced
Going to put in a new floor in our basement bar area.  It is a walkout and the dogs come in and out there so I want something durable and water proof and easy to clean but with a wood look.

Seen this type at some flooring stores and Home Depot. Installation difficulty does not matter as I will have it installed.  Any feedback good or bad is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife has it in her business. Just had it put down couple years ago.  

Holds up really well, and looks like real wood.  One guy wanted to argue with her when she said it wasn't real wood, he was adamant it was.  But it has held up really well in a high traffic business, so for residential your good on durability.  We didn't get it at bog box store, it was through flooring company.  I'll look for the receipt tonight if you wanted to see the company and PM you if I can find it. 

If your putting it in a basement I would be conscious that it will be very cold in the winter if your in Detroit.  large area rugs would work, but you will have cold spots when you walk off the rug. 

I haven't used it before, but seems like the right application for your use- dogs, mud-room type of setup? looks ok enough to work for other scope like media/craft room or bar. helps minimize the floor build-up too, so you get a little more head-room in the basement.

but johnny nailed the cold factor... is radiant heat allowed under this stuff?

ifloor.com   Best if they have a retail store near you so you can go in and see first hand what they have on sale.  Only place I was able to find vinyl plank under $2 a square.

Click together vinyl plank is 100% water proof, scratch resistant and very durable.  It's a piece of cake to install.  The best option after real wood floors imo.

Make sure you get this tool if you use click together.  It may seem like it's going together without using it, but a little extra time and a couple taps ensures you don't have any expansion issues and it coming apart latter on.

We put some down in my daughter's bath that looks like stone tile. It's not the higher grade stuff, but it has worked great.

The thicker click together stuff really is great. For areas that may have moisture issues, it's an especially great option.

We had it put down at our beach rental - most the new floors down there are using this as it is resilient for water.  I'd never mistake it for real wood, but it looks nice.  Only caveat is that you want to buy feet for your furniture as it can scuff over time.

We had it put down at our beach rental - most the new floors down there are using this as it is resilient for water.  I'd never mistake it for real wood, but it looks nice.  Only caveat is that you want to buy feet for your furniture as it can scuff over time.
The products I have been looking at says "water and scratch proof. 

Can we make this official flooring thread?

We have a 12 year old house, and the kitchen and all three baths have sheet vinyl that is shrinking and pulling from the walls.  I am thinking of plank in the kitchen.  We want to run it into the family room.  Problem is that we have real hardwood in our foyer/hall that leads into the kitchen.  So we don't want to do a wood look that would look obviously different.  Thoughts of what would look good for kitchen and FM?

Also, has anyone used the groutable stick-on vinyl squares?  I have done ceramic tile before and it is a pain in the ###, and not something I want to do in three bathrooms right now.

Will answer yours.

we have the homedepot traffic master from homedepot in our basement.   Holds up really well, easy to install, cheap and looks good enough to me but i have low home furnishing standards.

We have it on the main floor of our house.  We have a 60lb lab and a 200lb mastiff.  No scratches at all.

My wife has it in her business. Just had it put down couple years ago.  

Holds up really well, and looks like real wood.  One guy wanted to argue with her when she said it wasn't real wood, he was adamant it was.  But it has held up really well in a high traffic business, so for residential your good on durability.  We didn't get it at bog box store, it was through flooring company.  I'll look for the receipt tonight if you wanted to see the company and PM you if I can find it. 

If your putting it in a basement I would be conscious that it will be very cold in the winter if your in Detroit.  large area rugs would work, but you will have cold spots when you walk off the rug. 
Tried to PM you but no luck.  Your box must be full. 

Here is the flooring we put in.  Color was country oak I believe.  Has a distressed look but not super dark to show everything. 

It is a commercial grade, so little more, but you get what you pay for.  Those cheap LVT options are what they are.  They will scratch more easily. 

This stuff came with a 15 year commercial warranty and a wear warranty of 20 years.  I looked at when we built the building and it has actually been in there for almost 8 years now.  Hasn't shown any signs of wear and tear.

Karndean is top notch stuff. 

We have a 12 year old house, and the kitchen and all three baths have sheet vinyl that is shrinking and pulling from the walls.  I am thinking of plank in the kitchen.  We want to run it into the family room.  Problem is that we have real hardwood in our foyer/hall that leads into the kitchen.  So we don't want to do a wood look that would look obviously different.  Thoughts of what would look good for kitchen and FM?

Also, has anyone used the groutable stick-on vinyl squares?  I have done ceramic tile before and it is a pain in the ###, and not something I want to do in three bathrooms right now.

Will answer yours.
The reason I am looking at this is a friend just did his whole kitchen and family room with vinyl plank weathered look flooring.  It looks so good I my wife and I thought it was real hardwood and kept complimenting it and how expensive it must have been. At the end up of the night he told me it was vinyl plank flooring.

The reason I am looking at this is a friend just did his whole kitchen and family room with vinyl plank weathered look flooring.  It looks so good I my wife and I thought it was real hardwood and kept complimenting it and how expensive it must have been. At the end up of the night he told me it was vinyl plank flooring.
We just built a home for a buyer that wanted it but went with a cheaper Shaw option and it looked great but scratched easily when a contractor slid the range into place. 

Don’t know. That’s why I was asking

I recall having to put one down when installing laminate flooring 10+ years ago
you were probably putting it over a crawlspace or some other un-conditioned area. unless your kids' bedroom is over open air, no need. 

What is everyone doing on stairs when you put something like this in a basement? I’ve heard stair piece are really expensive. 

Will answer yours.
I've now installed grout able glue down vinyl tiles (LVT) in my kitchen/dining/powder room and both bathrooms.  I used Mannington adura  16x16 tiles. Couldn't be happier. Easy to cut (just score with utility knife and snap) or use jigsaw for notches and other cuts. It looks like tile and isn't cold on the feet. I can send pictures if you can suggest an easy way to share them. I installedit right over the existing  sheet vinyl.

All done in last year so can't comment on durability. 

Timely thread for me, starting to look at faux-wood options for my basement. Half of the space will have a bunch of free weights, a rack, bench, etc. and will need some kind of a rubber floor, the other half will have some cardio equipment, a couch, tv and whatnot. I’m thinking i’ll do the entire thing with something wood-like then lay the rubber over half. Need to figure out what to use.

I've now installed grout able glue down vinyl tiles (LVT) in my kitchen/dining/powder room and both bathrooms.  I used Mannington adura  16x16 tiles. Couldn't be happier. Easy to cut (just score with utility knife and snap) or use jigsaw for notches and other cuts. It looks like tile and isn't cold on the feet. I can send pictures if you can suggest an easy way to share them. I installedit right over the existing  sheet vinyl.

All done in last year so can't comment on durability. 
Thanks.  As for durability, I took a sample at Lowes and scratched it with my keys for about 2 minutes and couldn't see any effects.

Going to put in a new floor in our basement bar area.  It is a walkout and the dogs come in and out there so I want something durable and water proof and easy to clean but with a wood look.

Seen this type at some flooring stores and Home Depot. Installation difficulty does not matter as I will have it installed.  Any feedback good or bad is appreciated.
We had ours installed about 3 years ago and are pretty happy with it. Ours is scratched up some in spots from the dogs nails. We have a lab mix and a border collie and they definitely scratch the vinyl. 

NutterButter said:
That doesn't sound like the really, really inexpensive ####.
It was $1.35 per square foot with our contractor's discount. Retails for $1.80. It is genuinely cheap and a damn good deal. The people at the distributor (who reps for dozens of companies and don't have commissioned sales people) rave about it.

shuke said:
Thanks.  As for durability, I took a sample at Lowes and scratched it with my keys for about 2 minutes and couldn't see any effects.
You are a very patient man

From Lowe's brought 1000 sq ft.($3.50) of cali-bamboo Ash hickory.  In the process of finishing installing it myself on the first floor, living, dining, kitchen and hall-ways.   Looks very good,and very easy to install.  I too was scratching what they had at Lowe's with keys until I came to this product, which was much harder to scratch.

the other nice thing about it is that it pretty flexible so it is a good option on pitched slabs and areas around drains in basements etc you just use some construction adhesive on really pitched areas and it does a good job in my experience take that to the real advice from swc waaaat bank brohans

Why this stuff over tile, other than cost maybe.  I'm going to redo my basement soon and I've been thinking to use the wood grain tile with radiant heat underneath.

Why this stuff over tile, other than cost maybe.  I'm going to redo my basement soon and I've been thinking to use the wood grain tile with radiant heat underneath.
That can be great too. But tile costs a LOT more, especially inclusive of installation. It is colder (thus the need for radiant heat) and much harder. It is actually really waterproof though.

Lots of trade offs.

That can be great too. But tile costs a LOT more, especially inclusive of installation. It is colder (thus the need for radiant heat) and much harder. It is actually really waterproof though.

Lots of trade offs.
We had tile in our kitchen when we built our home...it looked great but was tough on the legs and just made the area seem too hard like being on concrete. 

the other nice thing about it is that it pretty flexible so it is a good option on pitched slabs and areas around drains in basements etc you just use some construction adhesive on really pitched areas and it does a good job in my experience take that to the real advice from swc waaaat bank brohans
I thought these were supposed to be allowed to "float" to allow for expansion/contraction, and using adhesive is a no-no.

For me, ceramic tile means renting a wet saw, installing backer board, cutting door trim, and removing/reinstalling floor trim or adding quarter round.  That is a lot of work for someone who doesn't do this stuff for a living.  

LVP is much easier to repair than if you damage your tile, they say you can get to the damaged plank without removing the whole side leading up to it. We had the contractor come out to repair a scratch and they heated it up and repaired without removal. Chip a tile and it's a headache. 

I thought these were supposed to be allowed to "float" to allow for expansion/contraction, and using adhesive is a no-no.
you are right but in some tough spots where there is a steep decline i will put down some adhesive to keep the floor from clicking when you walk on it the rest floats though you are right take that to the bank brochacho

LVP is much easier to repair than if you damage your tile, they say you can get to the damaged plank without removing the whole side leading up to it. We had the contractor come out to repair a scratch and they heated it up and repaired without removal. Chip a tile and it's a headache. 
True. But it is difficult to damage a good porcelain tile. Ceramic much less so.

We purchased a concrete look porcelain tile for our laundry room and a couple of bathrooms. It looks good and is rated for commercial/light industrial use. If that stuff gets chipped, chances are that is going to be the least of our problems.

My GF is gonna put LVP in her house.  about 1700sq ft worth.  Her neighbor does contracting work and quoted her $3.50/sq ft for install.  He says he usually charges $5.  It does include one flight of stairs.  Is that pricing reasonable??  It seems really high but WTF do I know.  Anyway, I know it's easy to install so we'll probably end up doing it anyway.

My GF is gonna put LVP in her house.  about 1700sq ft worth.  Her neighbor does contracting work and quoted her $3.50/sq ft for install.  He says he usually charges $5.  It does include one flight of stairs.  Is that pricing reasonable??  It seems really high but WTF do I know.  Anyway, I know it's easy to install so we'll probably end up doing it anyway.
I was quoted $2 sq ft, so decided to do it myself.  Very easy to install just finished with 1000 sq and now I plan on putting up new baseboard.

Love this product.  It's the only thing I put in my rentals anymore.  Cheap, and all you really need to install is a measuring tape and a utility knife.  Really save on walking when you can just make your cuts right in place.  

So he's going to take a 30% loss on his labor for your girlfriend?  Weird.  Why would he give your girlfriend a $2550 gift?   What a great guy.  I'd tell him to take a hike.   When you cut it just score and snap it like drywall.  Easy as can be.  Pull the baseboards and cut the jams with an oscillating cutter for a professional looking install.  

i did my basement myself i installed it myself and bought the vinyl planks from home despot and i think for 950 square feet it was like 2200 bucks but that was some time ago so there is a material analysis for your bromigo take that to the bank

Users who are viewing this thread