What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dede Westbrook - It’s go time! (1 Viewer)

Jaguars.com reports Dede Westbrook has "continued to flash" in training camp.

A hyped 2017 fourth-rounder, Westbrook has sort of gotten lost in the offseason shuffle of the Jaguars' revamped receiver corps. Although outshined by fellow rookie Keelan Cole, Westbrook put some decent first-year play on tape after returning from an abdominal injury that cost him the first two months of the season. Unfortunately, he's not a sound re-draft investment with Cole and Marqise Lee returning and the Jags breaking in Donte Moncrief and second-rounder D.J. Chark.

Source: John Oehser on Twitter 

Aug 2 - 6:01 PM

I could not disagree more with the text following the news there.
I don't know how thre Jaguars depth chart will shake out.  Mike Dempsey seems to think moncrief is their number one, which seems crazy to me since he wasn't even a good number two in indy.  

I see it as 5 guys who aren't that good, with Bortles spreading the ball around a lot.  No interest.

If one of them does blow up, I can definitely see it being dede, and he's with a flier,  but I can't imagine actually starting him until week 3 or 4 at the earliest. 

I'm a little more interested in him as a best ball or maybe a dynasty stash if he's cheap. 

extremely suprised westbrook hasn't moved up the depth chart here.  he has the tools but i guess he hasn't put it together.  the competition in front of him is fairly mediocre.  i think i'll avoid this whole situation for now.

Jaguars OC Nathaniel Hackett said Dede Westbrook is a better route runner than last season.

Westbrook spent the first 10 weeks of his rookie year on IR. With a full offseason and training camp, he's running tighter routes and more scheme comfortable. Westbrook started and led the first-team offense in targets in Jacksonville's preseason opener. The Jaguars are muddled at receiver, but Westbrook has the talent for a post hype second-year leap.

Source: John Oehser on Twitter 

Aug 11 - 7:35 PM

Have DeDe in my keeper league so was kind of happy to see Lee go down.  This should give DeDe a great opportunity to show what he can do.

Dude.  I get your meaning, but still...
Yeah, that was phrased pretty poorly I hope. Never should anyone be wishing injury on someone. Now, if the point is that the passing game may be better without Lee, I could see that. In theory, Lee was like the 5th most talented WR on the roster, he's just the most consistent to date, and has the best rapport with Bortles. If his absence leads to Cole, Westbrook and maybe Chark getting more chances to prove develop a connection with Bortles, it might be an upgrade for the Jags offense, especially from a big play perspective. 

Yeah, that was phrased pretty poorly I hope. Never should anyone be wishing injury on someone. Now, if the point is that the passing game may be better without Lee, I could see that. In theory, Lee was like the 5th most talented WR on the roster, he's just the most consistent to date, and has the best rapport with Bortles. If his absence leads to Cole, Westbrook and maybe Chark getting more chances to prove develop a connection with Bortles, it might be an upgrade for the Jags offense, especially from a big play perspective. 
I agree with your premise...the Jags have systematically built talented WR depth, so losing their "#1" receiver is not the death sentence it would be for, say, Houston or Cincinatti.  The guys you mentioned are going to step up and fill Lee's production gap

But from a real, not fantasy, football perspective, it's still a big loss.  Lee and his drag route were the most reliable part of the passing game last year, giving Bortles an efficient option to convert 3rd and longs.  The game plan the Jags honed in 2017 and had put in place for 2018 has been disrupted...the other receivers bring different (and perhaps better, to your point) skills, but it means revising the scheme very late in the preseason, which is not optimal

More importantly, Lee was a willing and effective downfield blocker, and for a team that wants to run the ball 55+% of the time, that's nearly irreplaceable.

Any update here on who is the WR1 in Jax? The Cole thread spends a fair amount of time on page 1. Doesn't look like it's him.

On pace for 70-800-7 in season 2.  I think he can improve and I'm holding.
Agree. There was some real debate last season whether Westbrook or Cole was the better long-term play, but I believed then & still do, Dede is the one to own on this team (unless they acquire a top WR).

Westbrook has virtually every attribute you want in a WR except size (although, he's got decent height at 6'0).

Agree. There was some real debate last season whether Westbrook or Cole was the better long-term play, but I believed then & still do, Dede is the one to own on this team (unless they acquire a top WR).

Westbrook has virtually every attribute you want in a WR except size (although, he's got decent height at 6'0).
I believe in him. Just needs a QB.

It is difficult to handicap the Jaguar WR for Dynasty. Lee-Moncrief-DeDe-Cole-Chark are all in their 20s, with an uncertain QB situation and a Run first offense. 
This is right. Moncrief will be gone next year when his contract expires and Cole’s role has been previewed this year when he was phased out for a healthy Chark. He’s on a UDFA contract so it’s easy to keep him around for depth. So you have Lee-Westbrook-Chark and they’ll likely draft a mid-round WR

Anyone else high on Westbrook this year? He has the talent, just had a scrub throwing to him and still finished 33rd. I have to think he has the ability to crack the top 24 this year with Foles and no one is talking about him. 

Anyone else high on Westbrook this year? He has the talent, just had a scrub throwing to him and still finished 33rd. I have to think he has the ability to crack the top 24 this year with Foles and no one is talking about him. 
He's interesting.  

He finished as WR33 in PPR.  You have to assume he improved talent wise second to third year.  You have to assume Foles>>Bortles.  I think they'll be a run first team, but Foles will improve the offense a ton.  I think he's a very safe WR3 that you're probably getting as a WR4.  FBG has him at WR40 in their PPR rankings.  Could be a solid step forward this year into WR2 territory if everything clicks.

I'm glad you bumped this thread, otherwise I likely would not have spent time on JAX players.  The vast majority of Foles's targets will be to WR's.  Yeldon is gone, Moncreif is gone, and their top TE is Geoff Swaim.  Dede is surely the top WR for the Jags - the battle for the remaining WR targets is what's in doubt (along with Lee's return).  There should be no reason why he can't command 100 targets like he did last year.  I wouldn't mind seeing him add some meat to his rail-thin frame (6'/178).

He's interesting.  

He finished as WR33 in PPR.  You have to assume he improved talent wise second to third year.  You have to assume Foles>>Bortles.  I think they'll be a run first team, but Foles will improve the offense a ton.  I think he's a very safe WR3 that you're probably getting as a WR4.  FBG has him at WR40 in their PPR rankings.  Could be a solid step forward this year into WR2 territory if everything clicks.
100% agree. People were all over him coming out of college but then of course he went to Jacksonville where lately receivers have gone to die and has slowly slid into the background. All of the mocks I have been doing I’ve been grabbing him in the 7th which is probably even a round early. 

Who Could Be This Season's Tyler Boyd?

Excerpt:

Dede Westbrook, Jaguars

Last year was supposed to be the year a Jacksonville receiver distinguished himself as the team’s true No. 1 option. That never happened, with Marqise Lee suffering an injury in the summer and Keelan Cole failing to take advantage. Westbrook, on the other handm quietly led the team in receptions, receiving yards, and receiving touchdowns. The reason that didn’t put him firmly on the fantasy radar? It only took 66 catches, 717 yards and five touchdowns to be the best Jaguars receiver.

There’s reason for hope this year, and with 101 targets carrying over from 2018, Westbrook won’t even need significantly more opportunities to out-produce his ninth-round ADP. The Jaguars retooled their offensive infrastructure, bringing in quarterback Nick Foles and offensive coordinator John DeFilippo. Foles is a far more efficient quarterback than Blake Bortles ever was, completing 72.3% of his passes in five starts last year, a full 12 percentage points better than Jacksonville’s erstwhile starter. Foles is excellent at dink-and-dunk playmaking, and Westbrook is ideally suited to play a slot role and make big plays after the catch. Adam Thielen was an elite fantasy receiver in DeFilippo’s Vikings offense last year, and Travis Benjamin had 124 targets in a similar role when DeFilippo was the Browns’ offensive coordinator in 2015. While Thielen’s numbers are a lot to ask from Westbrook, there’s reason to think he’s best suited to fill that role in DeFilippo’s offense, and that Foles is the perfect quarterback to take advantage of his skillset.

Jacksonville has a crowded depth chart, which could hurt Westbrook’s chances, but the players he’s competing with are far from elite options. Lee is the best of the bunch, but he’s coming off knee surgery and his best season was in 2016 when he had 63 catches for 851 yards and three touchdowns. Second-year speedster D.J. Chark has a lot of potential, but his style is so different that there’s room for him and Westbrook to both produce. Meanwhile, the Jaguars lack an meaningfull pass-catcher at running back and at tight end, giving Westbrook every opportunity to dominate the short and intermediate targets. Sometimes a crowded depth chart is an indication that no one has stood out, and that’s certainly the case in Jacksonville. Westbrook easily brings the most to the table, which gives him a major opportunity this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wide receivers coach Keenan McCardell said Dede Westbrook could "set himself apart from slot receivers within the league" this season.

"He’s a guy you want to get the ball in his hands because he makes good things happen," McCardell said. Westbrook was on the field for 77.5 percent of the snaps last year with 89 percent of his snaps coming in the slot. Nick Foles could lean on Westbrook more on short routes and the Oklahoma product showed last season he has some serious big-play ability. He'll likely be coming off the board as a WR4 in most drafts, but his opportunity with a new QB makes him one of the higher-upside players to take in the middle rounds.

SOURCE: Jaguars.com

Jul 27, 2019, 4:03 PM ET

Play of the day from Jaguars training camp on Tuesday: QB Nick Foles hooked up with WR Dede Westbrook on a deep pass down the right sideline. Somehow the defense lost track of Westbrook, who scored an easy touchdown. Westbrook also had another touchdown on a leaping catch in the back of the end zone during red zone drills.

Michael DiRocco, ESPN Staff Writer

I've got quite a few dynasty shares... I'm looking forward to what he does this year with optimism and am encouraged by the first camp reports, but not expecting anything huge.  Maybe 70/850/6?

Jaguars.com reports Nick Foles has "shown good chemistry" with Dede Westbrook in practice.

The same is apparently also true for Chris Conley and D.J. Chark. Keelan Cole didn't get a mention. Westbrook is poised to lead the Jaguars in targets from the slot. Being drafted as a WR4, Westbrook's ADP represents a potential bargain.

SOURCE: jaguars.com

Aug 22, 2019, 4:46 PM ET

Westbrook was the first player targeted by Foles on the Jaguars first series. A completion on the left side.

On the Jaguars second series Foles goes to Westbrook over the middle on 3rd down. Throws a dirt ball. There was a bit of contact by the defender. Westbrook almost was able to pick that ball off the ground while being pushed down a bit by the defender. Better throw and I think he might have got that one.

I think he finishes as a WR3.  If I'm getting him as a WR4--which is where he's been in mocks--then I like him quite a bit

But if this drives him up substantially, I'm a lot less excited

Dede Westbrook caught 4-of-7 targets for 29 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' third preseason game.

Leaving no doubt as to his status atop the depth chart, Westbrook was the target on six of Nick Foles' first eight throws. His touchdown was a 10-yarder on play action where he feathered out to the right side of the end zone. Reportedly showing excellent chemistry in practice, Westbrook and Foles were certainly on the same page on the score. Being drafted as a WR4, Westbrook is looking like a bargain in fantasy leagues.

Aug 22, 2019, 10:17 PM ET

Grabbed him in my home league. Was actually disappointed it got to the point of stacking him, Sutton and Washington/Moncrief combo to fill WR3. Feel better after last night. His size really bothers me. Guys his BMI get hurt a ton. If he’s going to take shots like that, it isn’t going to ease my mind. Hoping stock goes up and I can move on.

When did Chark get knocked out? Did that have anything to do with his targets/involvement?
I don't know.

I do not think the defensive personnel had anything to do with Westbrooks involvement in the game. Foles has blinders on and was only looking for Westbrook.

I noticed Foles got pulled after he threw an interception trying to go to Westbrook again. Fitzpatrick and their starters played the rest of the half and the Jaguars defensive starters kept playing.

I think it is a good sign for Westbrook in fantasy but I think it is bad football on Foles part.

I don't know.

I do not think the defensive personnel had anything to do with Westbrooks involvement in the game. Foles has blinders on and was only looking for Westbrook.

I noticed Foles got pulled after he threw an interception trying to go to Westbrook again. Fitzpatrick and their starters played the rest of the half and the Jaguars defensive starters kept playing.

I think it is a good sign for Westbrook in fantasy but I think it is bad football on Foles part.
Foles often has his favourites and locks in on them.  Alshon was much better under Foles than he was under Wentz.  I think Foles is going to love to look for and throw to Dede, it's a perfect match.  He's going to be a target monster.

F... this and the Footballers are making it hard to not like him. Maybe he is a real value going forward that I’ve been napping on: 

https://twitter.com/grahambarfield/status/1164935142013464576?s=21

“Dede Westbrook constantly got open last season. Per Next Gen Stats, Westbrook earned 3+ yards of separation on 74% of his targets (best in league among WRs). Also gained 5+ yards of separation on a league-leading 51% of targets.”

Blake Bortles really sucks if this is the case, p.s.

Jaguars OC John DeFilippo said Dede Westbrook is the "best route runner" he's ever been around.

DeFilippo coordinated a Vikings offense that had Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs last year. Westbrook has always been a plus route runner, but he was held back by Blake Bortles the past two seasons. Locked in as the No. 1 option and showing good chemistry with Nick Foles, Westbrook has the makings of a third-year leap.

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Aug 23, 2019, 5:50 PM ET

I just remember Nick Foles targeting Nelson Agholor like his life depended on it at the start of last season when Wentz was out. Huge PPR upside for this guy. He's like Julian Edelman but 4-5 rounds later.

Traded Dede for Tevin Coleman which I had for 3 years. Dede looks like a guy who will get enough targets this year to reach top-16 on PPR leagues.

Phillip Heilman @phillip_heilman

Newly released lines from @betonline_ag.

#Jaguars WR Dede Westbrook over 725 receiving yards stands out to me as one to target. Westbrook had 717 receiving yards last season when the offense was a complete disaster.
They also set the over/under on Dede Westbrook’s Total Regular Season TD number at 5

just look at his OC - J. deFillipo - check the Vikings stats under his guidance.

Westbrook is going to be in the 85 recs category. 

Allan Lem @AllanLemDFS

Nick Foles made one preseason appearance & had 10 throws. 7 of those throws were intended for Dede Westbrook, who converted one of them into a touchdown. The other 3 throws were intended for Leonard Fournette. Jaguars currently four point underdogs at home against the Chiefs.

Matt Gajewski @Matt_Gajewski

Westbrook ran 91.1% of his routes from the slot last year.

Foles targeted the slot 56.8% of the time in 2018 🔥💰

Dede Westbrook caught 5-of-6 targets for 30 yards and a touchdown in the Jaguars' Week 1 loss to the Chiefs.

Westbrook also added a two-yard rush. Westbrook was a distant third in receiver yardage to D.J. Chark and Chris Conley, though his six targets were second to Conley's seven. A scrambling Gardner Minshew found Westbrook diving in the end zone on the duo's 15-yard score. Much was made of Westbrook's potential connection with Nick Foles — Foles loves to target the slot — but the Jags' quarterback will be sidelined 6-8 weeks with a broken collarbone. Despite today's touchdown, Westbrook becomes a much more uncertain WR3 with Minshew under center.

Sep 8, 2019, 6:35 PM ET

Ain't THAT the truth!
Is this really a mystery? Minshew isn't very good (or probably wont' be week to week). Jacksonville is going to have an inconsistent offense and probably a bad one. Westbrook is going to make some plays, but it's hard to see him as being consistently part of the offense week to week.

Users who are viewing this thread