What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dede Westbrook - It’s go time! (2 Viewers)

For some reason the people in my league are going gaga over Dede. I'm a Jags fan, but even I don't understand these moves. 

Two days ago: Dede Westbrook for Jerick McKinnon.  (I had an offer on the table of an early 2nd and 3rd for McKinnon, so I was shocked he chose Dede)

Yesterday: Dede Westbrook for Derick Henry  (The owner that bought ridiculously high on him somehow convinced someone else to buy even higher.)

For some reason the people in my league are going gaga over Dede. I'm a Jags fan, but even I don't understand these moves. 

Two days ago: Dede Westbrook for Jerick McKinnon.  (I had an offer on the table of an early 2nd and 3rd for McKinnon, so I was shocked he chose Dede)

Yesterday: Dede Westbrook for Derick Henry  (The owner that bought ridiculously high on him somehow convinced someone else to buy even higher.)
Guess they remember the preseason show he put on.  Wouldn't surprise me if that happens again. 

This is interesting, I actually picked up Westbrook on Wednesday evening and wound up trading him yesterday for L Murray to back up McKinnon on my team. This is a redraft league, however. I wanted the Minn. run game on lock-down heading towards the end of the season run.

Considering starting him at WR3. Crowder will probably sit and has sucked 8/9 weeks and the waiver options are Brandon Coleman who is TD dependent in a nice matchup against the Bucs or Mike Wallace who is not inspiring to say the least.

Hmm, I should shop him

He might be talented and a great dynasty buy but in a redraft, he's still just a rookie WR with Bortles throwing the ball, in a run first and second offense.  :shrug:  I don't think there's a ton to see here yet. If he flashes and you try to rely on him, I bet you'll get burned downed the stretch here.

He might be talented and a great dynasty buy but in a redraft, he's still just a rookie WR with Bortles throwing the ball, in a run first and second offense.  :shrug:  I don't think there's a ton to see here yet. If he flashes and you try to rely on him, I bet you'll get burned downed the stretch here.
I agree with you. But picking these guys up before they break out is the smart play. If he doesn’t do anything these first 2-3 weeks you can easily move on in redraft. If he does hit gl trading for him. Free upside is a beautiful thing!

i'll bang on the table for this guy.  westbrook isn't some unknown latter round draft pick or UFDA off the street.  he was the best WR in college last year and fell to the fourth round because of his off the field concerns.  legit 1st-2nd round talent.  he's not the biggest guy out there but he has the pedigree, the college production, and a relatively good situation (has more talent than hurns and lee who are the only WR ahead of him).  yes JAX is a run first team but every run first team needs to also throw the ball lol.

I agree with you. But picking these guys up before they break out is the smart play. If he doesn’t do anything these first 2-3 weeks you can easily move on in redraft. If he does hit gl trading for him. Free upside is a beautiful thing!
That's fair and I agree that being proactive is the way to go . I just have a hard time buying a rookie WR in this offense under these circumstances this year. If he flashes and he's your #4/5, sell sell sell to  a desperate team. 

As of this morning he's still not officially activated.

He's sitting on my IR squad and I have to activate him to my roster within 48 hours of his official activation from NFL IR. I'm hoping we hear something soon (today.)

I turned down an offer of Westbrook for my 2nd and an IDP I like. Those trades are nuts. Actually the McKinnon one might not be so bad in dynasty depending on what happens to McKinnon this off season. 

I turned down an offer of Westbrook for my 2nd and an IDP I like. Those trades are nuts. Actually the McKinnon one might not be so bad in dynasty depending on what happens to McKinnon this off season. 
Depending on team makeup, I could see a team preferring Westbrook to McKinnon in dynasty. I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
As of this morning he's still not officially activated.

He's sitting on my IR squad and I have to activate him to my roster within 48 hours of his official activation from NFL IR. I'm hoping we hear something soon (today.)
The Jags had until 4 pm today to activate him, and they didn't.

I picked him up in a dynasty league. Not expecting much this year with Bortles throwing and 2 guys ahead of him but next year could be a whole nother story.

All this means is the Dede train starts next week. Wouldn’t have minded some limited game time this week though. Now I have to start D. Thomas. 

I lost Garçon this week, so I’m fine taking a chance on Westbrook. I also snagged Corey Coleman, who was dropped after his injury.

Marrone commented on Westbrook. "It’s always a tough decision to see who comes out for him to come in and basically we’re waiting for him to be ready to go at the level that we think he can get on the field and produce and help us," Marrone said regarding Westbrook.

"So it’s not a matter of – right now, he’s just not ready – so we’ll go through this week, see where he is early on in the week, get him on the field, make sure we have no setbacks and see if we can get him at a 100 percent because we don’t want to bring him back too early if he’s not ready and we’ve got time on our side as far as to make that move. A lot of it is up to how he does, so that’s what we’re just watching."

Marrone commented on Westbrook. "It’s always a tough decision to see who comes out for him to come in and basically we’re waiting for him to be ready to go at the level that we think he can get on the field and produce and help us," Marrone said regarding Westbrook.

"So it’s not a matter of – right now, he’s just not ready – so we’ll go through this week, see where he is early on in the week, get him on the field, make sure we have no setbacks and see if we can get him at a 100 percent because we don’t want to bring him back too early if he’s not ready and we’ve got time on our side as far as to make that move. A lot of it is up to how he does, so that’s what we’re just watching."
Wth does that mean?  :loco:

Wth does that mean?  :loco:
For him to be activated they have to take someone else off of the active roster, and I guess they don't want to do that until Westbrook has some more reps with Bortles, and they think his body is ready for some game action.  They have this week and next week left to activate him.  

They going to take this guy off IR this week and play him?
They have to decide today by 4. I read that the health of their OL will probably determine whether they will activate Westbrook or not this week, because several OL starters are hurt, and they may have to make some backups active for the game.

Mike Kaye‏Verified account @mike_e_kaye

#Jaguars have - again - decided to wait on activating rookie WR Dede Westbrook. They had until 4 to activate him and chose not to make the move. He has until a week from Tuesday to be activated off IR or remain out for the year. Great sign for Lee's status (questionable, knee).

Looking very much forward to seeing him play. The opportunity is there, as is the talent. He could be Jax's Wr1 going forward.

Picked him up a few weeks back.

Sounds like he will be limited. Not sure if I want to show my cards just yet and pick him up this week or wait. I'd hate to need that roster spot (short bench league), show my cards, and then everyone jumps at him if I have to drop for some reason. 

Seems like that's the theme in my league... Dan's been winning the league every year so whoever he picks up and drops is someone I want to look at and pick up myself. It's lazy management but it's worked for some

Sounds like he will be limited. Not sure if I want to show my cards just yet and pick him up this week or wait. I'd hate to need that roster spot (short bench league), show my cards, and then everyone jumps at him if I have to drop for some reason. 

Seems like that's the theme in my league... Dan's been winning the league every year so whoever he picks up and drops is someone I want to look at and pick up myself. It's lazy management but it's worked for some
Even limited he could break a long one and then you'll miss the boat though?

Not starting him this week, but can’t wait to see him play!

"My expectations are high," Westbrook told SportsRadio 930 on Wednesday, via ESPN.com's Michael DiRocco. "I always set the standard high for myself. For me, and this has nothing to do with the Cleveland Browns at all, but my expectation is a 200-yard receiving game. 

"Of course that's going to come with me and Blake [Bortles] being on the same page most of the game, but at the end of the day, that's the expectations that I have for myself this weekend."

Starting Amari Cooper and Paul Richardson this week at WR 2 and 3, for the time being; but, I'm tempted. Based on limited highlight viewings, he seems perfectly coordinated to play WR, with nice speed to boot.

I would like to have a wait and see week but the byes have me starting him in a start 6 WR league. Corey Davis' recent struggles have me worried but...here's hoping another impressive rookie can come through "as advertised"

Users who are viewing this thread