What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official*** 2018 World Cup thread (and Drinking Guide) (5 Viewers)

@thegoalkeeper: Fox says that according to its Nielsen data, Saturday's quarterfinal doubleheader was the most-watched men's World Cup quarterfinal since at least 1990, which is almost the whole of recorded history for the World Cup on live U.S. English-language TV (it dates back to 1986). https://twitter.com/ThroughBalls/status/1016052767796944897
those are fantastic numbers when you consider how many millions more were watching on Telemundo.  These games could have broken 10 million viewers combined.

Top 5 Markets for England v Sweden

Austin- 7.2 rating/24  

Washington DC- 6.7/21

Tulsa- 6.0/13

New York- 5.9/18

San Francisco- 5.9/25

========================================================

Top 5 Markets for Russia v Croatia

San Diego 10.1/25

Washington DC 8.4/23

Austin 8.4/22

San Francisco 7.5/24

Los Angeles 7.1/18

what really stands out is that it is a Liga MX team trolling.  That is a league in which players do not mind taking a dive or three.  For those fans to laugh this much at Neymar shows everyone just how over the top he has been.

So funny though  :lmao:
He might have accidentally helped the cause. He's being thoroughly embarrassed. You can tell he made an decision to ease up on it in his last game. I remember at one point he opened his mouth wide like he was going to scream and then he shut it and underplayed the foul instead. 

Here's what we've got left prior to the quarterfinals:
and the semi finals:

Moe: England & Kane 

Chuck Steiner's Gut: France & Lewandoski

Gator: France & Muller

Eephus: France & Jesus

Z Machine: France & Mueller

AAABatteries: France & Neymar

Native: Belgium & Ronaldo

Cleatius: Germany & Giroud

P4L: Germany & Kane

Cheese:  Brazil & Lukaku

encaitar:  Germany & Griezmann

Buck Bradcanon: Germany & Griezmann

EvilGrin: Germany & Griezmann

Mex: Brasil & Griezmann 

RHE: Spain & Isco

Jaysus: Russia & Werner

Christo: Spain & Messi

Bonzai: Germany & Mueller

Shader: Brazil & Neymar (I always liked you!)

Floppo: Brazil & Suarez

Ned: Brazil & Suarez

Lard on a stick: Spain & Neymar

Sebowski: Agentina & Aguero

DisneyEjotuz:  Germany & Lewandowski

ComfotablyNumb: Germany & Cavani

Tom Hagen: Spain & Suarez

Mjolnirs: Deutschland & Lewandowski

Drunken Slob: Germany & Mueller

icon: France or Belgium will win this 

BassNBrew: Uruguay & Ronaldo

JaxBill: Russia & Putin (riding a bear)

Work: Brazil & Messi

Sinn Fein: Brazil & Werner

Otello: Argentina & Messi

Quizgu766: Germany & Cavani

and the semi finals:

Moe: England & Kane 

Chuck Steiner's Gut: France & Lewandoski

Gator: France & Muller

Eephus: France & Jesus

Z Machine: France & Mueller

AAABatteries: France & Neymar

Native: Belgium & Ronaldo

Cleatius: Germany & Giroud

P4L: Germany & Kane

Cheese:  Brazil & Lukaku

encaitar:  Germany & Griezmann

Buck Bradcanon: Germany & Griezmann

EvilGrin: Germany & Griezmann

Mex: Brasil & Griezmann 

RHE: Spain & Isco

Jaysus: Russia & Werner

Christo: Spain & Messi

Bonzai: Germany & Mueller

Shader: Brazil & Neymar (I always liked you!)

Floppo: Brazil & Suarez

Ned: Brazil & Suarez

Lard on a stick: Spain & Neymar

Sebowski: Agentina & Aguero

DisneyEjotuz:  Germany & Lewandowski

ComfotablyNumb: Germany & Cavani

Tom Hagen: Spain & Suarez

Mjolnirs: Deutschland & Lewandowski

Drunken Slob: Germany & Mueller

icon: France or Belgium will win this 

BassNBrew: Uruguay & Ronaldo

JaxBill: Russia & Putin (riding a bear)

Work: Brazil & Messi

Sinn Fein: Brazil & Werner

Otello: Argentina & Messi

Quizgu766: Germany & Cavani
F-ing ned and his mom.

This game tomorrow has the feeling that it’s really the final. It’s hard to believe one of either Croatia or fookin England will play a World Cup final in 2018. It’s completely deserved and I’m happy for both countries, but damn ... 

This game tomorrow has the feeling that it’s really the final. It’s hard to believe one of either Croatia or fookin England will play a World Cup final in 2018. It’s completely deserved and I’m happy for both countries, but damn ... 
I agree.  But, it is hard to say the English or Croatian side couldn't win a game over the victor of tomorrow's match 

I don’t know abou that, I certainly think Belgium would have fits with England (I think both teams speed in attack would expose Croatia’s back 4).

I agree.  But, it is hard to say the English or Croatian side couldn't win a game over the victor of tomorrow's match 
Sure, any of the 4 could win it at this point. I’m just stating the obvious perhaps, people on twitter and the like are treating today’s game like the final.  Timing really sucks for me, but sacrifices must be made ...

This is why you can never be happy when the US is out. That whole half of the bracket was a crapshoot. 
I don't know that anyone was "happy"  I made peace with the result pretty quickly, and had been looking forward to the WC even without the US - but, I wasn't happy the US missed out - just pragmatic.

There is no viable excuse for the US missing out - we were kind of in between cycles of players, but had enough talent to qualify.  But, at the same time, I am as excited about the team's future as I have been in a long time.

I don't know that anyone was "happy"  I made peace with the result pretty quickly, and had been looking forward to the WC even without the US - but, I wasn't happy the US missed out - just pragmatic.

There is no viable excuse for the US missing out - we were kind of in between cycles of players, but had enough talent to qualify.  But, at the same time, I am as excited about the team's future as I have been in a long time.
Now Italy, on the other hand...

:deadhorse:

I assume this is a straight red card

=========

Bill Edgar‏Verified account @BillEdgarTimes 3h3 hours ago

World Cup red cards for serious foul play/violent conduct

1998: 16

2002: 11

2006: 8

2010: 6

2014: 7

2018: 0 (after 60 of 64 games)