What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you believe aliens exist? (1 Viewer)

bosoxs45

Footballguy
Seems like we haven’t heard much in awhile about alien abductions. Have you ever encountered a ufo sighting?

Whether aliens exist is a completely different question than if they come to Earth and abduct humans.

Of course there is other highly intelligent life beyond our solar system. Probably hundreds upon hundreds of other worlds and races in the universe.

Are we alone in our solar system? Yeah probably.

Last edited by a moderator:
sure there are aliens as in life on other planets it just might not be walkin and talkin life like we got here on earth for instance it might be that we find some bacteria or whatever in the soil of mars but its not like that stuff is listening to brandy by looking glass and dreamin of a 75 charger if you are pickin up what im laying down take that to the bank bromigo 

For us...and that's just the way they want it. Have you met us? We suck
If anyone is interested, I'll see if I can dig up a story from a little while ago in The Atlantic about the Chinese extra-terrestrial listening post. It contained an interesting look at the debate between advertising our presence in the hope that a species advanced enough to get here would be a generous and mentoring one versus keeping a low profile in case the closest aliens want to come here and eat us.

I believe aliens exist for many reasons, only one of which is abducting humans.  They also play starring roles in horror movies, form inter-dimensional bands that play in bars, and remind us how important towels are, just to name a few reasons.

Life elsewhere in the universe? Yes, highly probable. I'd be completely amazed if there wasn't.

Extraterrestrials visiting Earth? No, very little chance that has happened. And until recently I figured that only a very small percentage of the population believed in "conspiracy" stuff, as if the government would actually be able to cover up such a thing. But the past couple of years has proven to me that there are millions of people who believe a lot of incredibly stupid things. 

Yes, and I bet they look almost exactly like humans but with smoother skin, skinnier and big heads.  Hollywood told me this and they wouldn't lie. 

Yes..I think life in some form exists somewhere in the universe.  Abducting humans from earth? I don`t believe that. I mean we would not abduct Martians and bring them here.

Yes..I think life in some form exists somewhere in the universe.  Abducting humans from earth? I don`t believe that. I mean we would not abduct Martians and bring them here.
we abduct and catalog lower species all the time.  You really think if we found some kind of life on Mars (like a plant) that we wouldn't take samples of it and bring it home?

we abduct and catalog lower species all the time.  You really think if we found some kind of life on Mars (like a plant) that we wouldn't take samples of it and bring it home?
From the movies I have seen Martians of are a higher intelligence. 

sure there are aliens as in life on other planets it just might not be walkin and talkin life like we got here on earth for instance it might be that we find some bacteria or whatever in the soil of mars but its not like that stuff is listening to brandy by looking glass and dreamin of a 75 charger if you are pickin up what im laying down take that to the bank bromigo 
There could very well be millions and billions (or more!) of the walkin' talkin' civilizations in addition to all the "bacteria" ones.

There could very well be millions and billions (or more!) of the walkin' talkin' civilizations in addition to all the "bacteria" ones.
so do you think they are listenin to brandy or what bromigo take that to the riddle me this bank brochacho

Definitely.  Universe is too big for it to have only happened once.  It's arrogant and silly to think we're God's special unique creatures or whatever.  

Here's something mind bending.  Imagine the length of time that it takes light to get to our eyes or telescopes from distant galaxies.  From the furthest reaches of our instrumentation you could have several instances of intelligent life exist before we ever even started, if you say humans are approx 100k years old. 

Yes.  If you believe in math, it's hard to deny that there isn't intelligent life out there somewhere.

Drake Equation - Pretty much any reasonable input still leads to life due to the sheer number of stars.

N = R * fp * ne * fl * fi * fc * L

where:
N = The number of broadcasting civilizations.
R = Average rate of formation of suitable stars (stars/year) in the Milky Way galaxy
fp = Fraction of stars that form planets
ne = Average number of habitable planets per star
fl = Fraction of habitable planets (ne) where life emerges
fi = Fraction of habitable planets with life where intelligent evolves
fc = Fraction of planets with intelligent life capable of interstellar communication
L = Years a civilization remains detectable

Nope.  It's just us on this flat earth with God above us and the Devil below us.  All that other space, planets and alien gobbledy#### stuff is just made up.

But, seriously, I don't see how it's possible there isn't other life out there.  There's just way too much out there and too little we know about it for there not to be other life.

Yes.  If you believe in math, it's hard to deny that there isn't intelligent life out there somewhere.

Drake Equation - Pretty much any reasonable input still leads to life due to the sheer number of stars.

N = R * fp * ne * fl * fi * fc * L

where:
N = The number of broadcasting civilizations.
R = Average rate of formation of suitable stars (stars/year) in the Milky Way galaxy
fp = Fraction of stars that form planets
ne = Average number of habitable planets per star
fl = Fraction of habitable planets (ne) where life emerges
fi = Fraction of habitable planets with life where intelligent evolves
fc = Fraction of planets with intelligent life capable of interstellar communication
L = Years a civilization remains detectable
I agree with all of that except I probably disagree with the actual final number.  The variable "fl" is a major key, IMO, and the biggest leap in logic many in here are making.

If this is zero, your equation equals zero. That number could even be so low as to render all of the other numbers meaningless.  We have no idea how life comes from non-life.  Just to assume that because of "ne" you will get "fl" makes a logical jump that has no scientific answer other than "because life exists here".

Also the number of "ne" is likely very, very, very low if you take into account the probability of life even being stable on this planet.

Since the universe is not actually infinite, there is a very real possibility we are it.

I agree with all of that except I probably disagree with the actual final number.  The variable "fl" is a major key, IMO, and the biggest leap in logic many in here are making.

If this is zero, your equation equals zero. That number could even be so low as to render all of the other numbers meaningless.  We have no idea how life comes from non-life.  Just to assume that because of "ne" you will get "fl" makes a logical jump that has no scientific answer other than "because life exists here".

Also the number of "ne" is likely very, very, very low if you take into account the probability of life even being stable on this planet.

Since the universe is not actually infinite, there is a very real possibility we are it.
I dont think you realize how big the universe is.  ne is not small.  We've already found multiple likely habitable planets in our incredibly tiny visible portion of the universe.  

I dont think you realize how big the universe is.  ne is not small.  We've already found multiple likely possibly habitable planets in our incredibly tiny visible portion of the universe.  
Big jump there.  They have no idea of the composition of these planets.  They have no idea about atmospheric composition (a HUGE issue) and actual surface temperatures or even if there is water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potentially_habitable_exoplanets

"However, the question of what makes a planet habitable is much more complex than having a planet located at the right distance from its host star so that water can be liquid on its surface: various geophysical and geodynamical aspects, the radiation, and the host stars plasma environment can influence the evolution of planets and life, if it originated."

we seem to be fixated on the idea that other worlds need water and such to form life.   I think thats probably completely wrong

Yeah I think there are aliens, I also think they have been to Earth or close to Earth before, but I believe that we are so far down the evolutionary chain compared to them that they used to come here to try to help us better ourselves with their technology and such and then seen how we used it that they just don't bother with us anymore and wait for the day that we kill ourselves off.

Big jump there.  They have no idea of the composition of these planets.  They have no idea about atmospheric composition (a HUGE issue) and actual surface temperatures or even if there is water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potentially_habitable_exoplanets

"However, the question of what makes a planet habitable is much more complex than having a planet located at the right distance from its host star so that water can be liquid on its surface: various geophysical and geodynamical aspects, the radiation, and the host stars plasma environment can influence the evolution of planets and life, if it originated."
You're assuming all intelligent life has the same requirements as humans.  I mean they recently found alien bacteria on the outside of the ISS.   The conditins for other forms of life can be very different from ours.  There's really no reason to believe we're just a one time accident 

You're assuming all intelligent life has the same requirements as humans.  I mean they recently found alien bacteria on the outside of the ISS.   The conditins for other forms of life can be very different from ours.  There's really no reason to believe we're just a one time accident 
Then why do we have such a difficult time simulating life formation under various experimental conditions 

Then why do we have such a difficult time simulating life formation under various experimental conditions 
Because we don't know the "formula". 

The point is that the universe is so freakin' huge, this formula has probably repeated X number of times.  

Aliens most likely exist in the respect that they are operating the simulation in which we exist, and in turn they are in a simulation operated by aliens to them.

The universe is so big, there is probably a parallel earth in which the Anonymous Confessions thread didn't get axed. 

Users who are viewing this thread