What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

Baker Mayfield completed 19-of-35 passes for 325 yards, one touchdown, and one interception in the Browns' 23-3, Week 2 win over the Jets.

His wrist didn't seem to be an issue after Mayfield appeared to ding it in Week 1. Mayfield started slow, completing less than 50% of his passes in the first half and struggling to diagnose the defense. But things quickly turned around for him when he hit Odell Beckham on a simple slant patter that OBJ took to the house for an 89-yard touchdown in the third quarter. Mayfield's pick was a forced throw to Beckham in the fourth frame. The Browns return home next Sunday night to face the Rams where Mayfield will deal with Aaron Donald. Mayfield will be a back-end QB1.

Sep 16, 2019, 11:31 PM ET

He did not look good last night. That 89 yarder which was a busted blown coverage was what made the stat line look good. But he looks jittery, unsure, holding the ball, patting the ball, 

indecisive, not the same kid I saw last season as a rookie thus far. He needs to slow the game down......big time. Right now it seems the game is going 1000 miles per hour to him.

Not confident with his game right now. And the Browns simply do not look like a very good football team. The Rams may really give it to them Sunday night.  

Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said he needs to get the ball out of Baker Mayfield's hands quicker because Mayfield is taking "too many hits."

Kitchens is taking the blame here and sounds like he'll change the offensive gameplan to scheme around his below-average offensive line, but Mayfield also needs to work on feeling and avoiding pressure. The change in gameplan is likely opting for more quick-hitting passes, especially when facing defensive lines that can get after the quarterback. Next week, Mayfield will go up against Aaron Donald and the Rams, so now is the time for a change. Mayfield has the fifth-highest sack percentage through two weeks.

SOURCE: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Sep 17, 2019, 6:09 PM ET

Now that the dust has settled, I've thought about it. GroveDiesel was right. Baker was settling on his first read and forcing the ball there. It was weird. He had opportunities to check down easily and just didn't. We'll see what he does against LAR this week, but he didn't look good against the Jets, who were surprisingly game on defense. 

FBG is majorly fading Baker in their projections this week. He's a point ahead of Kyle Allen. I roster Baker in one league, and the LAR numbers aren't pretty either at PFF or FBG. Oof.

I heard Bernie Kosar on Sirius NFL radio the other night talking about Mayfield.

He said last season Mayfield faced mainly Man defenses. This year with the addition of OBJ so far the defenses have been in Zone coverage which requires a QB to wait a little while longer for the plays to develop. Bernie said Baker will adjust and be fine as he sees more Zone coverage.

I’m no expert but it sounds plausible to me.

Cowherd mentioned this stat: 

Baker's QB rating vs Cincy (2 games) 130ish

Baker's QB rating in all other games 80ish 

I've been duped by Cincinnati's ineptitude?

Guess it serves me right for being a Jets fan and watching back-to-back blowout losses and one in the playoffs that year. Karma.

Was dropped in my main 12 teamer league, couldn’t resist spending some FAAB on him. His upcoming schedule is brutal but eases up after week 9. 

They have to figure it out a little bit right? He was too good last year. 

Baker is too good not to figure this out. How long it takes I don't know. Admittingly I'm a little shook with how bad he's looked so far. 

Baker Mayfield completed 18-of-35 passes for 195 yards with a touchdown and an interception in Week 3 against the Rams.

Mayfield was bad in this one, taking three sacks and rarely staying inside the pocket. His struggles continued against zone coverage, something the Rams run as much as any team. Mayfield had a chance to tie the game on the final drive but couldn't score on four straight plays inside the five-yard line. Even with an improved supporting cast, Mayfield has taken a step back through the first three games. Things won't get any easier for Mayfield with a matchup against the Ravens in Week 4.

Sep 22, 2019, 11:37 PM ET

This team is a mess.  Kitchens is a bad coach and a worse playcaller.  Mayfield is the equivalent of a WR with 4.2 speed who doesn't have the football skills/fundamentals to match.  He's a big arm that can't read the field, has zero pocket presence, and moderate at best accuracy.

He's still young so you can fix the reading the field and pocket presence, but he has a ways to go.   He has too much arm talent to be this poor of a player overall.

I think Baker will improve as the season progresses--but he seems slower and indecisive compared to last season. I know the dude isn't lamar jackson or russell wilson--but I expected him to mix in a bit of scrambling and running in his game this season.   Maybe he got a bit too swoll or heavy in the offseason?  He just doesn't look as spry to me.  

This team is a mess.  Kitchens is a bad coach and a worse playcaller.  Mayfield is the equivalent of a WR with 4.2 speed who doesn't have the football skills/fundamentals to match.  He's a big arm that can't read the field, has zero pocket presence, and moderate at best accuracy.

He's still young so you can fix the reading the field and pocket presence, but he has a ways to go.   He has too much arm talent to be this poor of a player overall.
He looks way too jittery back there. The second there's a hint of pressure, he scrambles to his right, cutting the field in half. Ultimately, he himself runs out of room and makes an inaccurate pass or needs to throw it out of bounds.   It won't be long until OBJ explodes.

Horrible OL. Traded away one of the  best guards in the game. Genius. Horrible play calling. A draw on 4th &9. On 3rd &10, send 2 guys 30 yards deep, right next to each other. Yeah, make the safety's job easy. 

I think Baker will improve as the season progresses--but he seems slower and indecisive compared to last season. I know the dude isn't lamar jackson or russell wilson--but I expected him to mix in a bit of scrambling and running in his game this season.   Maybe he got a bit too swoll or heavy in the offseason?  He just doesn't look as spry to me.  
He really does look noticeably heavier and less agile. 

In 3 games in 2019? Yes. Evidence prior indicates that isn't the case though. This drifting right out of not unclean pockets is new.

He really does look noticeably heavier and less agile. 
He absolutey does.  In the preseason--he was asked about his more stout and "sturdier" physique--and he claimed that it was a better weight/body style for him. I'm not saying he got fat---but the dude admittedly bulked up so that his body can withstand more hits. Unfortunately for him--I think his new swoll body has slowed him down to where he's either got to get rid of the ball asap--or he's going to get hit because he's less agile.  He hasn't looked very elusive-- I'm having a hard time finding his rushing stats for this season so far--but it doesn't seem like he's been a running threat at all. 

All that offseason talk...

Learn from the best - never talk about other players unless its 100% sunshine and rainbows.

Kitchens and the supporting cast aren't doing him a lot of favors.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, whatever Monken brought to the table it's obviously worthless. When I see a picture of the guy, he just looks like he's dumb.

So time to throw the towel in on him in redraft?  I really liked him preseason and targeted him everywhere but only got him in 1 of 8 leagues as he was going too early for me in most.

Droppable?

I bet he's not.
Well, you're right. Probably not literally. But I bet he loves the fact that Mayfield was talking sh** about him in the offseason and Jones gets a win and lights it up in his first start and Mayfield looks like he regressed majorly and has been horrible for three games. 

So time to throw the towel in on him in redraft?  I really liked him preseason and targeted him everywhere but only got him in 1 of 8 leagues as he was going too early for me in most.

Droppable?
I bought into the hype too but just traded him away.   I'll probably regret it but he was my QB4 in a SuperFlex league and needed to beef up at WR.   

just picked him up in redraft.  

replaced Keenum who i picked up to replace Roethlisburger. 

main QB is Ryan.  

He looks way too jittery back there. The second there's a hint of pressure, he scrambles to his right, cutting the field in half. Ultimately, he himself runs out of room and makes an inaccurate pass or needs to throw it out of bounds.   It won't be long until OBJ explodes.
He does seem to do that a lot, and the fact that he is not very fast makes it unlikely for anything good to happen from that most of the time.  Once he bounces outside to the right, he has almost no chance of getting to the edge and getting up field to gain any yards (if he cannot find an open receiver). 

He does seem to do that a lot, and the fact that he is not very fast makes it unlikely for anything good to happen from that most of the time.  Once he bounces outside to the right, he has almost no chance of getting to the edge and getting up field to gain any yards (if he cannot find an open receiver). 
I've watched about four games of his and he does this constantly. He scrambles right and lofts the ball out of bounds, uncatchable. It's painful to watch. 

I can’t believe it but I dropped him in redraft.  Had to drop him after losing Barkley and needing to pick up a rb.  Choosing to stream dalton over him this week.  Feeling ill.  

He was dropped in our 12 team league last night. Can’t believe it’s come to a Daulton/Mayfield type decision for teams but it has 

Users who are viewing this thread