What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

So roughly 16 million a year. If we look at guaranteed money being the real deal.
$50M guaranteed. First year is $30M. Second is $20M guaranteed; $30M total. Think he’d have to be pretty bad next year not to play for the Bucs in 2025. So, $60M at minimum. If he has two good seasons they’re probably restructuring on a longer term deal for 2026.

So roughly 16 million a year. If we look at guaranteed money being the real deal.
Huh? If he plays out the contract, it isn’t $16m per year. I don’t get your point.
50 million is guaranteed and it's a 3-year deal. I know on paper it's 100 million but only 50 is guaranteed. I just read the blurb that came out. The actual numbers will come out with more details but I'm sure there is a way for the team to walk away after this season and for sure after two. I'm looking at the guaranteed money/contract over 3 years. I see this as a team-friendly deal. Also good for Baker who wanted to settle in Tampa. So much can happen in a year or two. He is walking away for sure with 50 million.

Last edited:
Huh? If he plays out the contract, it isn’t $16m per year. I don’t get your point.
50 million is guaranteed and it's a 3-year deal. I know on paper it's 100 million but only 50 is guaranteed. I just read the blurb that came out. The actual numbers will come out with more details but I'm sure there is a way for the team to walk away after this season and in two. I'm looking at the guaranteed money/contract over 3 years. I see this as a team-friendly deal. Also good for Baker who wanted to settle in Tampa.

Details attached. It’s a solid deal for everyone, but there is literally zero scenario where this ends up being $16m per year.

50 million is guaranteed and it's a 3-year deal. I know on paper it's 100 million but only 50 is guaranteed. I just read the blurb that came out. The actual numbers will come out with more details but I'm sure there is a way for the team to walk away after this season and in two. I'm looking at the guaranteed money/contract over 3 years. I see this as a team-friendly deal. Also good for Baker who wanted to settle in Tampa.

Details attached. It’s a solid deal for everyone, but there is literally zero scenario where this ends up being $16m per year.
It can get to much more than 50 million. You know what forget it. You are right. I'll go with that.

The realistic view is 25 million a year over 2 years with a 3rd-year option or at least that is my opinion but the 50 million is the key term it is what he is going to get no matter what.

Teams release players all the time. Players do not play out their contracts all the time. As pointed out he would have to be pretty bad next year for them to give up on him so I guess the real way to look at it is 25 million over 2 years. It's 115 million with incentives but the real number I look at is how much the player is guaranteed. If you stretch out 50 million over 3 that is like 16.6 but it's 25 million for at least two years considering he is most likely making it through 2025. The rest of the deal is on paper and can go a lot of different ways.

Last edited:

It can get to much more than 50 million. You know what forget it. You are right. I'll go with that.

The realistic view is 25 million a year over 2 years with a 3rd-year option or at least that is my opinion but the 50 million is the key term it is what he is going to get no matter what.

Teams release players all the time. Players do not play out their contracts all the time. As pointed out he would have to be pretty bad next year for them to give up on him so I guess the real way to look at it is 25 million over 2 years. It's 115 million with incentives but the real number I look at is how much the player is guaranteed. If you stretch out 50 million over 3 that is like 16.6 but it's 25 million for at least two years considering he is most likely making it through 2025. The rest of the deal is on paper and can go a lot of different ways.
Yes, but there’s more $$ in the deal than just the number guaranteed.

Regardless of the detailed numbers, I agree with your broader point that it seems like a good structure and deal for both Baker and the Bucs.

Yes, but there’s more $$ in the deal than just the number guaranteed.
Incentive bonuses but those are not guaranteed. He is more than likely getting more as to the likelihood of meeting those but guaranteed is guaranteed. it's a good deal but not nearly what people thought or predicted he would get. I see it as more 25 million a year over 2 years with an opportunity to see what happens in year 3.

Regardless of the detailed numbers, I agree with your broader point that it seems like a good structure and deal for both Baker and the Bucs.
This is true. It is a good and fair deal for both. I'm happy for Baker. I just wish they could have kept Dave Canales. :)

Amazing considering he was worthless at the end of his Browns career and bounced around a few teams being finding TB.

Incentive bonuses but those are not guaranteed. He is more than likely getting more as to the likelihood of meeting those but guaranteed is guaranteed. it's a good deal but not nearly what people thought or predicted he would get. I see it as more 25 million a year over 2 years with an opportunity to see what happens in year 3.
I dunno what you looking at but:

2024: $30M guaranteed
2025: $30M ($20M guaranteed)
2026: $40M

He’s eligible to earn $5M each year in incentives ($2.5M in statistical incentives and $2.5M in playoff incentives).

He is most likely getting 60 mill over two years, and then we'll see. If everything goes badly, they can cut him for a 20 mill hit next year.

He’s eligible to earn $5M each year in incentives ($2.5M in statistical incentives and $2.5M in playoff incentives).

He is most likely getting 60 mill over two years, and then we'll see. If everything goes badly, they can cut him for a 20 mill hit next year.
It is exactly what I'm looking at 100%. He is guaranteed 50 million. Nothing else is. He is more likely going to meet incentives but not for sure 100%. There are a lot of ways to look at contracts. Teams, players, and agents look at them differently as well.

Last edited:
I'm waiting for a day or two before I allow myself to figure out his contract. They're reporting these deals all wrong these days. You have no idea what the word "guarantee" means in these contracts anymore. It could be a roster bonus "guarantee" that's sold to the reader as an iron-clad guarantee. They're starting to report these things so erroneously that you really have to wait. You had to wait for a day or two to get the real Mike Evans contract, and I won't be surprised if it's the same with Mayfield.

I'm waiting for a day or two before I allow myself to figure out his contract. They're reporting these deals all wrong these days. You have no idea what the word "guarantee" means in these contracts anymore. It could be a roster bonus "guarantee" that's sold to the reader as an iron-clad guarantee. They're starting to report these things so erroneously that you really have to wait. You had to wait for a day or two to get the real Mike Evans contract, and I won't be surprised if it's the same with Mayfield.
This also can be true. Reports get leaked from all over. Agents/teams.

The good news as a Baker Mayfield manager's point of view he is staying in Tampa with a pretty good #1 WR. Good complement receivers and a good running game/well good receiving running back at least. As long as the new staff does their part on play calling and other key team concerns.

Last edited:

It is exactly what I'm looking at 100%. He is guaranteed 50 million. Nothing else is. He is more likely going to meet incentives but not for sure 100%. There are a lot of ways to look at contracts. Teams, players, and agents look at them differently as well.
Yeah, and the salary cap looks at it a certain way as well

It’s one year for $40m or 2 years for $60m or 3 years for $100m.
It was 1 yr $4M in '23
Yeah, he got a raise, earned it.

It was 1 yr $4M in '23
Jason Licht looking kind of wise poaching all these QB castoffs lately.

-Big difference between a cast off at $4M and the $40M the Bucs are paying this season
He earned an increase of 1,000%? That's what you're saying here.

It was 1 yr $4M in '23

It was 1 yr $4M in '23

-Big difference between a cast off at $4M and the $40M the Bucs are paying this season
$30M in 2024
$30M in 2025 with $20M guaranteed
$40M in 2026 with $0 guaranteed

I don’t see how anyone could think this is a bad deal for either side considering the way he played in 2023. He’s not a castoff anymore. Dude balled last year.

It was 1 yr $4M in '23

It was 1 yr $4M in '23

It's only$30M a year if they keep him for two years.

Tampa got a steal last year, that's half of what some guys like Tyrod made last year. Some people are saying this helps set a new middle class for non-rookie contract starting QB's. If it's $30M a year it's more of the helping set a standard for the new lower middle class. I think his play last year makes him worthy of that.

5 million each year in incentives also. Be interesting what those are. If I were to guess I'd bet they are the super easy ones to reach that basically kick in if he plays most of each season. With the current QB salaries it feels like a good deal for Bucs and for Baker. Well done man.

It was 1 yr $4M in '23

It was 1 yr $4M in '23

Your understanding of percentages is better than the area of circles. 👍

It was 1 yr $4M in '23

It was 1 yr $4M in '23

$30M in 2024

I don’t see how anyone could think this is a bad deal for either side considering the way he played in 2023. He’s not a castoff anymore. Dude balled last year.
I agree and think it's fair. People forget that he had some bad years as well. Canales is gone now. It's a balanced deal. I think Baker wanting to keep his family in Tampa played a role. He and his wife are expecting their firstborn soon.

Mike Evans resigned basically under the condition that they resign Baker, and you're wondering whether or not he's worth 30M/year?
Not saying this is what happened, but my initial FEELING was they locked themselves into mediocrity for a while.

That said, as a Browns fan, I'd still rather have Baker on that deal plus the few first rounders we gave up instead of Watson and his deal. Hindsight 20-20 and all

It was 1 yr $4M in '23

It was 1 yr $4M in '23

$30M in 2024

I'm just asking questions and have a slightly different POV on Baker but make no mistake...
When he wears that Bucs uniform and Week 1 is about to start, I will be wearing my Pewter colored Tom Brady jersey :lol:
Go Bucs!

And I appreciate you guys posting back

-Am I not reading the contract right? He got no signing bonus whatsoever? I see the $40-$50M guaranteed but they literally could release him Mid-Late-season with almost no penalty.
Maybe some guaranteed cash spread out over a season or two but almost nothing. I thought for sure he would get quite the signing bonus which would be most of his 1st year salary
and would be very cap friendly. I'm not saying it won't happen but we aren't hearing anything that says it is either.

I think Baker is an underrated QB. Look at his numbers in CLE despite having HORRID coaches. He was a 94% passer rating that rookie year, regressed, then had a 98% passer rating in year 3. Everyone gushes over CJ Stroud who I loved coming out and still do obviously. CJ's rookie year was a 100% rating. There's not much difference.

Sometimes perception is not reality. Baker has played for CLE and CAR. Can it get much worse? Those are bottom 5 franchises the past few years, and CAR was a mess. His time with LAR and TB was better under better coaching ... 64% completion rate, decent TD/INT rate.

I think TB did well to keep him and that he will see all 3 years of this contract.

Mike Evans resigned basically under the condition that they resign Baker, and you're wondering whether or not he's worth 30M/year?
Not saying this is what happened, but my initial FEELING was they locked themselves into mediocrity for a while.

That said, as a Browns fan, I'd still rather have Baker on that deal plus the few first rounders we gave up instead of Watson and his deal. Hindsight 20-20 and all
As an outsider, I'm still confused as to why they decided to move on from Mayfield. Yes, his 2022 was up and down, but didn't he play with a shoulder injury pretty much all season? Was it more because Watson was available and perceived as an upgrade?

Users who are viewing this thread