What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keelan Cole, WR, Jets (1 Viewer)

I have a pretty nice wr corps with TY Hilton, AJ Green and Juju has my starters.  With Pittsburgh maybe wanting to feed Brown a ton to make him happy (stealing looks from Juju) and Cole playing so well, I might actually start him this week as my WR3.  Crazy.

Problem for me is game plan. How many times will Bortles throw?
That’s the question. 

I’ll offer this - last year down the stretch, fhe Jags seemed to shift their offensive mentality. From weeks 13-16 Bortles threw for 300+ in 3 of his last 4, including a game against the Niners where he put it up 50x. 

Against the Pats last week he put it up 29x for 376 yards.

hes my QB2 in a league where we get a fat 300+ yard bonus for that reason. 

And with their RBs all seemingly hurt or fragile, it’s a good bet that they’ll keep leaning on Bortles arm. 

The perception that the Jags can’t theow goes back to MJD. Things have changed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
There's a lot of things to look at here..

Bortles has averaged 226/1/.5 at home vs. TEN in his career

Bortles has averaged 323/2.25./.25 without Fournette in the line-up

Cole's home/road splits are pretty stark.

In 9 homes games he's averaged 3.3/66/.44 or 12.5 ppg

In 9 away games he's averaged 2.4/36/0 or 5.6 ppg

Cole's splits with Fournette out of the line-up aren't that interesting because he was still just a part time player when Fournette missed his first game last year. However, he did set a then career high in that game (64 yards). And his career best game (7/186/1) did come in week 15 with Fournette out of the line-up.

Three WRs have gone for 100+ yards vs. TEN already this season (Stills, Fuller, Hopkins).

I think most importantly, even though Bortles hasn't done or been asked to do much at home vs. TEN in his career his WRs have had some success. I think Cole at least has a pretty decent PPR floor (~10) this week. The sole problem is Gabbert and whether or not he fully implodes leading to a blow-out. 

Now that Fournette looks like he's out, may have to shift Cole out of WR and pick up Yeldon, who was dropped to play the Flex. Geesh

Now that Fournette looks like he's out, may have to shift Cole out of WR and pick up Yeldon, who was dropped to play the Flex. Geesh
Pretty sure Yeldon was declared out already.  You may want to double check.  It may be Corey Grant. 

ETA Yeldon is NOT out.  He practiced Friday.  He should suit up. 

Agree that Cole sees a boost here, Bortles' passing numbers see a substantial increase with no Fournette...throw in the Titans secondary, he is criminally undervalued in most ranknigs at this very moment...should really be a steal in DFS too.

There's a lot of things to look at here..

Bortles has averaged 226/1/.5 at home vs. TEN in his career

Bortles has averaged 323/2.25./.25 without Fournette in the line-up

Cole's home/road splits are pretty stark.

In 9 homes games he's averaged 3.3/66/.44 or 12.5 ppg

In 9 away games he's averaged 2.4/36/0 or 5.6 ppg

Cole's splits with Fournette out of the line-up aren't that interesting because he was still just a part time player when Fournette missed his first game last year. However, he did set a then career high in that game (64 yards). And his career best game (7/186/1) did come in week 15 with Fournette out of the line-up.

Three WRs have gone for 100+ yards vs. TEN already this season (Stills, Fuller, Hopkins).

I think most importantly, even though Bortles hasn't done or been asked to do much at home vs. TEN in his career his WRs have had some success. I think Cole at least has a pretty decent PPR floor (~10) this week. The sole problem is Gabbert and whether or not he fully implodes leading to a blow-out. 
This is exactly why I have him as my WR3 over Funchess, Lockett, J. Brown.  I already knew about the home/road split.  Those numbers were sustainable with Fournette in the lineup last year.  Now that he’s out Cole’s ceiling is in elite territory. Let’s go.

I put him in over juju.  Probably regret it but whatever 
I absolutely love Cole and am starting him over Stills and Crabtree but as an AB owner who watches a lot of JuJu it would be a bridge to far for me to cross. Was just reading an article the other day (can’t remeber where) that had Juju being the number 10 WR over his last 16 games.  Dude is fire right now. 

I absolutely love Cole and am starting him over Stills and Crabtree but as an AB owner who watches a lot of JuJu it would be a bridge to far for me to cross. Was just reading an article the other day (can’t remeber where) that had Juju being the number 10 WR over his last 16 games.  Dude is fire right now. 
I’m between Cole and Stills. No pash rush so think Stills has big day 

2 duds in a row, both against weaker defenses. :oldunsure:
Matching up against Buster Skrine in the slot, this game had Dede Westbrook’s name all over it.  Lots of room in the middle of the field and the TEs took advantage as well. I haven’t seen the coverage breakdowns yet, but assuming Trumaine Johnson was on Cole quite a bit. 

I would expect the Jags to go more vertical next week against an atrocious Chiefs secondary 

It seems like facing weaker defenses really hurts Cole.  Every D has one good cover guy, right?  Bortles is not addicted to him like some QBs are to their WR1s, so when the one good cover guy is on Cole, Bortles looks elsewhere rather than give Cole a chance to make a play.

Against stronger defenses, which have multiple good cover guys, Bortles is more likely to look Cole's way I think.  Just a theory.

think it depends on game-script and corner back match-up. Bortles will have to air it out this week against KC, whether Fournette is available or not. KC's only good corner is Kendall Fuller who is a slot guy, which Cole mostly avoids. I like him this upcoming week.

Some guys have trouble when Ds focus on them. #1 corner, doubles, shades, etc.

I've never been super-high on Cole, but he's got some talent.

I like Westbrook & believe he's got a nice ceiling, but it's kind of hard to make heads or tails of it right now.

I don't know what to do with Cole.  At some point I need to drop either Cole, Shepard, or Lockett to handcuff my RB1.

You don’t “have” to. I don’t handcuff, but that’s just me. Prob not the smartest. 
Really depends.  There's no other RBs in KC behind Hunt and Ware.  Plus with that KC offense Ware is at least an RB2 with all three downs to himself if something happens to Hunt.  That type of situation is extremely rare today given all the committees out there.

Really depends.  There's no other RBs in KC behind Hunt and Ware.  Plus with that KC offense Ware is at least an RB2 with all three downs to himself if something happens to Hunt.  That type of situation is extremely rare today given all the committees out there.
Oh I don’t blame you for wanting to. Ware has shown he can be extremely productive and can potentially get 20 touches. 

I had Cole and dropped him to be honest. The problem with the Jax WRs are not the WRs...we all know that. I just couldn't push myself to put Cole in my lineup because I simply can't push myself to trust Bordles. That guy is just all over the place. I honestly believe that many times, when the ball snaps, he still not sure what he's going to do with it and just wing it as the play goes by...that guy is so erratic...it's scary. How can you start a jag WR in these conditions.....unless you are desperate, you simply can't start Cole right now and I didn't have enough room on my bench due to injuries to keep him. Too bad, I think the kid has tons of talent.

Jaguars re-signed WR Keelan Cole to a one-year, $3.259 million contract. 

Cole had the looks of an UDFA find after posting an explosive 42/748/3 line as a rookie in 2017, but he has since regressed all the way out of three-receiver sets. The second-round tender and its corresponding price tag was surprising for someone who will be no better than the No. 4 wideout as a 27-year-old in 2020. Cole's moment has come and gone in Dynasty leagues. 

Apr 23, 2020, 5:04 PM ET

Surprising for sure. Does he have good chemistry with Minshew?
Meh. He's just a guy. But after dropping Marqise Lee, literally the only WR on the roster are Chark, Dede, Keelan, Conley, and a special teamer. 

They needed someone even though they'll probably take somebody in the 2nd or 3rd today. 

It's a one year deal that makes sense for both.

Meh. He's just a guy. But after dropping Marqise Lee, literally the only WR on the roster are Chark, Dede, Keelan, Conley, and a special teamer. 

They needed someone even though they'll probably take somebody in the 2nd or 3rd today. 

It's a one year deal that makes sense for both.
I guess. $3.26 million is on the higher end for a JAG.

Jaguars WR Keelan Cole caught all five of his targets for 47 yards and one score in Jacksonville's Week 1 win over the Colts.

With Dede Westbrook scratched in favor of rookie Laviska Shenault, Cole surprisingly worked ahead of Chris Conley as the team's second wideout, finishing with team-highs in targets, catches, and receiving yards. Dating back to Jacksonville's season finale against the Colts, Cole has totaled two touchdowns on nine targets from Minshew over his last two games. With negative game scripts in store for Jacksonville down the stretch, Cole qualifies as a valuable FLEX worth chasing on waiver wires Tuesday.

- Rotoworld

Jaguars' Keelan Cole: Catches another touchdown

Cole caught six of seven targets for 58 yards and one touchdown during Sunday's 33-30 loss to the Titans.

The 27-year-old is proving to be a favorite target of QB Gardner Minshew's early in the season, as his seven targets tied for the highest total on the team. Cole caught only 24 passes for 361 yards and three scores last season, but he's been significantly more involved in the offense in 2020 with 11 receptions for 105 yards and two touchdowns.
Textbook high floor, low ceiling type of player this season.

Loved him as a rookie and then things didn't go as i would have thought the last 2 seasons, now this year on what amounts to a 1 year and prove it deal or perhaps playing for a bigger contract in the free agent market this off season. He is starting alongside DJ Ckark and then you have the rookie int he slot as I understand it. Conley is not starting although he still seems involved. 

The TDs might be over inflating his numbers, otherwise you have 105 yds over 2 games and people wouldn't be talking as much. How long can that continue? He has never had more than 3 in a season but he also hasn't had the same opportunities he is having now. A lot of them are the 7-8-10 yd variety, would like to see him break one off for some distance but that simply might not be the game plan here. Eventually he is going to lose some targets to Lavishka, hope I'm typing that right but the rookie looks good and will slowly see his role increase. 

Glad he is balling right now. 

Loved him as a rookie and then things didn't go as i would have thought the last 2 seasons, now this year on what amounts to a 1 year and prove it deal or perhaps playing for a bigger contract in the free agent market this off season. He is starting alongside DJ Ckark and then you have the rookie int he slot as I understand it. Conley is not starting although he still seems involved. 

The TDs might be over inflating his numbers, otherwise you have 105 yds over 2 games and people wouldn't be talking as much. How long can that continue? He has never had more than 3 in a season but he also hasn't had the same opportunities he is having now. A lot of them are the 7-8-10 yd variety, would like to see him break one off for some distance but that simply might not be the game plan here. Eventually he is going to lose some targets to Lavishka, hope I'm typing that right but the rookie looks good and will slowly see his role increase. 

Glad he is balling right now. 
I needed an emergency flex in my dynasty league and got him with a claim for six dollars… So far he has been fantastic for me.

i’ll take whatever I can get right now, up for the good times continue to roll.… Maybe even gets a slightly larger at target chair as the season goes on.

13 targets...12 receptions and outscoring the rest of the receivers...can he sustain that?

If Parker had been limited...I was considering a Deebo drop to pick Cole up for a spot play possibility against Miami.  Especially with Chark dinged up.

D.J. Chark (chest, back) has been ruled out for Thursday night's game against the Dolphins. 

It's probably a case of the short week costing a player who might have otherwise been ready to go, but it is not a particularly great sign that Chark's status did not even come down to game time. He should be considered genuinely questionable to return for Week 4 against the Bengals. Soaking up Chark's lost targets — which were only seven over the first two weeks — will be Keelan Cole and all-purpose weapon Laviska Shenault. Cole has some WR4 appeal against a secondary missing Byron Jones, but it is Shenault who offers the upside. Coming off a three-catch, five-rush effort, Shenault is an intriguing plug-and-play option in 12-team leagues. 

RELATED: 

Laviska Shenault

, Keelan Cole

Sep 24, 2020, 2:07 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread