What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jim McMahon once beat up mike lombardi (1 Viewer)

Further proof beli isn’t above cheating, though I suppose circumventing the salary cap is a common move

Last edited by a moderator:
Jimmy is the man. Awesome story.  One of my buddy's hung out  all night with him  a couple years ago. Very cool and straight up guy. 

Although I don't condone violence....I have to admit I smirked a little bit at this story.  Mike Lombardi indeed is a grade A toolbag.

Why did Reid tell him to watch the waiver wire?
Maybe Reid was saying "If we cut one of our backup QBs, that's your sign to tell your agent to arrange for your release."

The Packers actually had a glut of backup QBs that year. They started out with Favre, Ty Detmer and T.J. Rubley, plus Mike McCoy on the practice squad. Then Detmer got injured, so they signed Bob Gagliano, then they cut Gagliano and signed both Doug Pederson and McMahon.

BTW, McMahon is misremembering the amount of time that he was on Cleveland's roster. He said that he dressed for weeks 8, 9 & 10, and then got cut after the Green Bay game. But in fact, he was on Cleveland's roster for weeks 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 (which was the Green Bay game), plus week 13.

So, he was really only owed 4 or 5 checks, not 7.

[scooter] said:
BTW, McMahon is misremembering the amount of time that he was on Cleveland's roster. He said that he dressed for weeks 8, 9 & 10, and then got cut after the Green Bay game. But in fact, he was on Cleveland's roster for weeks 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 (which was the Green Bay game), plus week 13.

So, he was really only owed 4 or 5 checks, not 7.
Well he does say he suffers from concussions so he probably misremembers a lot of stuff.

The one thing that I was could not understand in that story is why he was so broke?I get why he'd be broke now, but back then? He sounded like some kind of normal dude living paycheck to paycheck.  A guy with real life financial problems as a current NFL player.

Well he does say he suffers from concussions so he probably misremembers a lot of stuff.

The one thing that I was could not understand in that story is why he was so broke?I get why he'd be broke now, but back then? He sounded like some kind of normal dude living paycheck to paycheck.  A guy with real life financial problems as a current NFL player.
It's not like they were making a ton of coin back then. Most players were making under $400k back then. $100k was a lot of money to lose out on.

Users who are viewing this thread