What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*Official 2018 Super Bowl Champion Philadelphia Eagles* - Tough way to go out. Magic finally gone. (5 Viewers)

It would be the most Bill Bellichick thing ever to somehow wrestle Wentz away from the Eagles and be set at QB for the next 15 years.   They have a first and two seconds this year.  So they'd give us a 2019 first and second rounder, plus their 2020 first rounder. Maybe even throw in a Sony Michel or something.   :popcorn:
Throw in Brady and I'm down. How awesome would it be to have a Foles-level QB backing up Foles?

Raiders don't have to offer any picks for Foles.  All they have to do is pay him his money.

Raiders would be a horrible spot for Nick as well.  

I'm still betting on the Giants. Shurmur there.  A team that has REAL pieces on O.  They make a few solid FA signings on D and they'd be Super Bowl competitive. 
It's awful but OAK is just that stupid. 

I know it makes sense but that would just be awful.
I agree just that OAK would be stupid enough to do it. If someone is offering me far more of a guy then they are worth I don't care the situation. I mean is there special circumstances? Sure  and honestly if theres offers comparable to OAK with better situations I'd take those for Nick 

Not if the Eagles slap the franchise tag on him.  Would not only allow us to get something back but also steer his destination.
Wouldn't the Eagles be about 17 million over the cap if they tag him?  Plus they need space to sign draft picks.  I don't think the Eagles have the cap space to maneuver with Foles.  Even if they get below the cap to work something out with Foles, if it doesn't happen quickly, they miss out on FA signings.

Wouldn't the Eagles be about 17 million over the cap if they tag him?  Plus they need space to sign draft picks.  I don't think the Eagles have the cap space to maneuver with Foles.  Even if they get below the cap to work something out with Foles, if it doesn't happen quickly, they miss out on FA signings.
I'm not worried about the Cap. If they do franchise him, then Howie has already figured out all that leg work. If they don't, then we know it wasn't possible.

I'm not worried about the Cap. If they do franchise him, then Howie has already figured out all that leg work. If they don't, then we know it wasn't possible.
I just don't think it's realistically possible.  Why would a team agreed to work with Howie and leave themselves hung with Foles on a one year contract?  I'm sure there are some tampering rules that come into play to.

I just don't think it's realistically possible.  Why would a team agreed to work with Howie and leave themselves hung with Foles on a one year contract?  I'm sure there are some tampering rules that come into play to.
They would presumably be trading for the rights to Foles so they can exclusively negotiate with him instead of competing against all other teams for his services. In that scenario the new team would undoubtedly make a bee deal once they have him secured via trade.

But the point is was making is that I don't worry about the Cap. No one knows it better than Howie Roseman. So whatever he decides to do, that's what was available to us. If he franchises Nick, then it was within the cap to do it. If it doesn't, then it probably wasn't.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it confirmed they CAN franchise him? He's not a free agent - can you franchise someone that exercises an opt out clause?  I'm not sure I've ever seen that.  Of course opt out clauses in NFL are pretty rare anyway

listening to the latest Birds with Friends podcast (the one they do on WIP). Holy moly, i don't listen to sports radio a ton, but from this small sample it sounds like a good chunk of the fanbase has turned on Carson. 

Also brought up a funny point, I can't believe Chip traded Foles and a high draft pick, for Bradford  :loco:

also interesting with all the coaching changes recently haven't heard DeFelippo's name mentioned at all. he may not have many options at all, might need to take whatever he can take with Eagles if they want him

listening to the latest Birds with Friends podcast (the one they do on WIP). Holy moly, i don't listen to sports radio a ton, but from this small sample it sounds like a good chunk of the fanbase has turned on Carson. 

Also brought up a funny point, I can't believe Chip traded Foles and a high draft pick, for Bradford  :loco:
I remember when that happened I was at work and my buddy and I misheard the report and though we were getting Bradford AND THE SECOND ROUND PICK LOL. I was like ok that’s cool I guess. When I found out that #### Kelly GAVE the pick I almost had a stroke.

The ones turning on Carson are idiots. I’m actually beginning to feel sorry for his situation and I’m in the camp that leans towards keeping Foles and getting assets to build  around him and at the same time being risk averse about Carson moving forward. That isn’t a knock on Wentz. None of these circumstances are his fault but he may find himself in untenable circumstances here in Philly and it’s exactly because of buffoons that somehow feel the need to “turn” on him.

At the end of the day, I hope Jeff, Howie and Doug choose correctly. Either way I think we will all be happy. The team is bigger than one player no matter how much emotional investment we have in the two QBs. 

The ones turning on Carson are idiots. I’m actually beginning to feel sorry for his situation and I’m in the camp that leans towards keeping Foles and getting assets to build  around him and at the same time being risk averse about Carson moving forward. That isn’t a knock on Wentz. None of these circumstances are his fault but he may find himself in untenable circumstances here in Philly. 

At the end of the day, I hope Jeff, Howie and Doug choose correctly. Either way I think we will all be happy. The team is bigger than one player no matter how much emotional investment we have in the two QBs. 
i think this is why the whole thing hasn't bothered me once with all of the talk. I am sure they all know that this is people who are able to call into a sports radio show daily, and probably not representative of the fanbase. it does make it tricky for Carson if he starts next year and they come out with a .500 record or not that impressive. but the team looked like crap for 2/3 of the season and Doug and the rest of the team didn't let it bother them too much what the fanbase thought. 

I also know Howie and Jeff take care of their guys a lot of times. You always hear about the shady deals behind closed doors with them giving checks to players that won't hit the salary cap but as a "thank you". like Westbrook and a few other guys 10-15 years ago. they certainly seem to get that the players are people and they need to be treated with respect, otherwise they would have traded Foles for anything this off-season. 

I'm fine either way. i know Wentz will have a good career, and hope if Foles does go to another team it is a good situation for him. it is a great position for the Eagles and luckily they got the right guys there that don't make it a bigger deal than it needs to be. 

It's thoroughly disgusting. I can't listen to WIP or 97.5 right now.  I listen to ESPN or Mad Dog Radio. I'm ashamed to listen to some of our fans.  Part of me wants Wentz out of town because those fans don't deserve him.

Forgotten in all of this is the fact that Sudfeld will be the backup next year. I've been intrigued by that kid...has shown well in meaningless pre-season action and could be a solid player given the chance.

It's thoroughly disgusting. I can't listen to WIP or 97.5 right now.  I listen to ESPN or Mad Dog Radio. I'm ashamed to listen to some of our fans.  Part of me wants Wentz out of town because those fans don't deserve him.
Glad I live in Hampton Roads and don't have to listen to it. Sports talk radio around here more in line with what we say in here...with a note of jealousy that Philly has two good QBs.

Glad I live in Hampton Roads and don't have to listen to it. Sports talk radio around here more in line with what we say in here...with a note of jealousy that Philly has two good QBs.
Talk radio was years and years of Eagles fans whining about McNabb. Despite him being the best QB we've ever had. Then after he was gone, it was complaining that we can't find a franchise quarterback.  Now I hear caller after caller whining about Wentz.  It's crazy how some of the best fans in the world (as evidenced during the parade and how well they represent on the road) are also one of the least loyal fanbase on the planet.  That's why I hope Wentz gets traded if Foles wins or even makes it to the Super Bowl this year.  He's too great a player and great a person to deal with what this fan base would put him through if that were to happen.

Talk radio was years and years of Eagles fans whining about McNabb. Despite him being the best QB we've ever had. Then after he was gone, it was complaining that we can't find a franchise quarterback.  Now I hear caller after caller whining about Wentz.  It's crazy how some of the best fans in the world (as evidenced during the parade and how well they represent on the road) are also one of the least loyal fanbase on the planet.  That's why I hope Wentz gets traded if Foles wins or even makes it to the Super Bowl this year.  He's too great a player and great a person to deal with what this fan base would put him through if that were to happen.
ehh, think you just have to remember what it is. i think the same people call these radio shows all the time, and i would guess it is representative of a few thousand people of how they really feel. i think the sports radio scene may have had a bigger influence years ago, but with all of the options available i don't think it has a strangle hold of the fanbase like it did

the McNabb stuff used to drive me nuts though

I remember when that happened I was at work and my buddy and I misheard the report and though we were getting Bradford AND THE SECOND ROUND PICK LOL. I was like ok that’s cool I guess. When I found out that #### Kelly GAVE the pick I almost had a stroke.
We all thought this.  

ehh, think you just have to remember what it is. i think the same people call these radio shows all the time, and i would guess it is representative of a few thousand people of how they really feel. i think the sports radio scene may have had a bigger influence years ago, but with all of the options available i don't think it has a strangle hold of the fanbase like it did

the McNabb stuff used to drive me nuts though
I think I heard a crazy stat that .1 % actually call in. And if you listen long enough it’s the same 15 nimrods. 

Not indicative of the fanbase. The people that call in represent less than 1% of the people and they're mostly the crazies.

Remember that Bradford got traded for a 1st and a 4th which netted the Eagles Barnett and Sweat. And we got Foles back for free. I believe the 2nd round pick was part of the trade capital the Rams used to get the #1 pick and Jared Goff

The ones turning on Carson are idiots
The same ones that thought we shouldn't pick Embiid and said he was injury prone and wasn't worth the wait.  The same ones that never appreciated Ryan Howard even when he was putting up Ruth-like #'s.  The same ones who didn't appreciate Lindros etc. etc.  This city has a type.  They want the gritty out-of-nowhere humble guy.  In some strange way they don't want stars

You can only listen to Ike Reese.  He's not into creating calls with outlandish crap.  He literally owns Marks over and over and over.  He was the one that actually brought up the Embiid comment I mentioned above and it's really a perfect example.  

The same ones that thought we shouldn't pick Embiid and said he was injury prone and wasn't worth the wait.  The same ones that never appreciated Ryan Howard even when he was putting up Ruth-like #'s.  The same ones who didn't appreciate Lindros etc. etc.  This city has a type.  They want the gritty out-of-nowhere humble guy.  In some strange way they don't want stars

You can only listen to Ike Reese.  He's not into creating calls with outlandish crap.  He literally owns Marks over and over and over.  He was the one that actually brought up the Embiid comment I mentioned above and it's really a perfect example.  
Any chance I can I listen to Ray. I’m not a huge fan of his buddy Glen but Ray is worth listening too. The rest are just spouting opinions. Like us LOL. 

Remember that Bradford got traded for a 1st and a 4th which netted the Eagles Barnett and Sweat. And we got Foles back for free. I believe the 2nd round pick was part of the trade capital the Rams used to get the #1 pick and Jared Goff
Oh yeah ultimately it worked out. I’m just remembering the day and I swear I thought I might have an aneurism.

Sports radio callers are NOT representative of the fanbase.

Sports radio callers are NOT representative of the fanbase.
We have a few of them on this site too. There is a small faction of eagles fans who have forgotten how hard it is to get a franchise quarterback. And have also already forgotten 13 games that Carson Wentz played last year. Maybe they're the same guys calling the radio stations. 😂 

I'm just asking, so I hope noone freaks out.

Was Kevin Hart a HUGE Eagles fan before last year? I mean, really out in the open and everyone knew it like now?
not sure of the answer. never heard much about him with the Eagles before last year (heard more about Bradley Cooper with the team probably), but i'd hate to say he wasn't a fan at all. When he talks, he knows the team history on a casual fan basis. 

i know some Eagles are sick of seeing him all around, but i don't mind. it is what it is. I might put him on the same fan wave as like Kobe Bryant or Will Smith or something. i just think in Philly celebrities aren't a huge deal, so like at Sixers game you get random people there (Bruce Willis and Samuel L. Jackson were there earlier in the year maybe because of that new movie), and there was mention of it, but it isn't like people bother them or swarm them. 

modogg said:

Want to know whats funny? Some of those same fans who said trading Foles for Bradford are now the ones saying keep Foles and trade Wentz. Fans are fickled. Those saying concerns of Carson's injuries are probably the same ones with no issue having Vick on the team with all his injury issues. Nick has also missed numerous game sin his career with. Broken Color bone, rib injuries and concussions. 

Insein said:
Not indicative of the fanbase. The people that call in represent less than 1% of the people and they're mostly the crazies.
They are the Monday Morning ArmChair QBs who think they could do better at the job. 

Which is why I for one am glad that the team is not run by the fans. Except when Chip was the GM. We could have done a better job then. Howie is not trading Wentz.

Which is why I for one am glad that the team is not run by the fans. Except when Chip was the GM. We could have done a better job then. Howie is not trading Wentz.
If some of these fans ran the team the way they wanted the team would be bankrupt and being relocated. 

I was trying to think of what fair value for Wentz would be. I think I would need 10 first round picks plus a teams best defensive player and an offensive starter. I want an extra first round pick for 10 years just so I have a shot at potentially finding a stud as good as Carson in the time span. Getting two starters now is only fair since I gave up a top 5 player in the league potentially. Then maybe I will get value back for Wentz. Because he's going to go to said team and help them be awesome for probably 8-12 years in the league possibly more. Which in turn will make that draft pick suck in the first most years. But I figure if I can package 2 firsts in one season with a bunch of future ones when I see a can't miss prospect, I might be high enough to get a younger player that might have the potential of Wentz.

Users who are viewing this thread