What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Online reputation and behaving badly (1 Viewer)

Mad Cow

Welshers and Dawdlers Beware!
I do not think anyone can deny the amazing benefits that this online world has given us.  Information at the punch of a button is just incredible.  One of the offshoots of this and online reputation, however, is it has essentially taught people that they can be grade A #######s to businesses and then get their way by bullying owners by threatening to crush them with negative online reviews.  It does not happen a ton, but enough to make me shake my head. 

Most recently had a mother of a girl we saw last July.  She never paid her copy.  I am one to not send anyone to collections promptly and avoid it at all costs.  We send statements for months.  We call her and explain, nothing.  So she got sent to collections in January.  6 months for $10.  So dumb.  So then we get a check in the mail for her $10 and she pretends like she sent it in November and it was lost in the mail.  Yeah.  Postmarked February 26, 2018.  Sure, she dated the check in November, but this envelope is pristine and clearly was barely sent.  Also sent in a Christmas card envelope.  We let her know it has been sent to collections and we cannot pull it from there without paying their fees and basically losing money on the whole thing.  She cannot believe we would have done that since she clearly sent it back in October and then says fine, I know who to contact in the collections company (she was not dumb about this), but I am going to do all I can to tell people to not use your office.

I mean really, it is 100% your fault, and now because you did not get your way, you are going to threaten the business that was more than patient with your account?  It just drives me crazyt.  I get 1 or 2 of those a year, enough to anger me.  It is always a millennial aged person, usually a female, and they bristle with SJW #####iness.  Just a terrible offshoot of this online world we have.  Too bad really, because I know many small businesses are hit by this.

Anyone else get this from time to time?

You sent somebody to collections over ten dollars? 
After she had ignored statement after statement and flat out ignored the messages and texts, yes.  If I had gotten a single reply like I am so sorry, things have been rough, can you work with me?  I would have dropped it instantly and have done that a lot.  When you know people are messing and screwing with you, then I will do that.

And it is easy to say all that for $10, but if you have 50 accounts that are for $10, you cannot just ignore them all.  I go out of my way to avoid the whole thing because I like to believe in and help people.  Some just do not merit it.

I wonder how often they are bluffing. 

Anyway, if you have enough favorable reviews, a few bad ones every once in a while shouldn't matter too much.  Most reasonable people realize there are crazies out there and that the customer isn't always right.

I wonder how often they are bluffing. 

Anyway, if you have enough favorable reviews, a few bad ones every once in a while shouldn't matter too much.  Most reasonable people realize there are crazies out there and that the customer isn't always right.
We do have a pretty good reputation.  I actually had someone post a negative review, to which I replied and explained our policies and what we would be happy to do to help.  I had 2 new patients come in and cite my reply as their reason for choosing my practice, so there is value even in that, I suppose.

More than anything maybe this was a rant for these individuals that do it to all sorts of businesses.  There is an interesting video about the contempt that Anthony Bourdain has for yelpers and how they do this to restaurants.

After she had ignored statement after statement and flat out ignored the messages and texts, yes.  If I had gotten a single reply like I am so sorry, things have been rough, can you work with me?  I would have dropped it instantly and have done that a lot.  When you know people are messing and screwing with you, then I will do that.

And it is easy to say all that for $10, but if you have 50 accounts that are for $10, you cannot just ignore them all.  I go out of my way to avoid the whole thing because I like to believe in and help people.  Some just do not merit it.
I don't own a small business, so I can imagine you deal with all walks of life that I don't have to deal with.  That must suck.  But still, this shrew is going to shred your business online all for $10.  Doesn't seem worth it, IMO.

Family members got their 1st 1*.  They ignored my advice for years about building their online reputation, and the day finally came.  Really brings down your rating when you only have a handful of reviews.  Now they are playing catch up interviewing seo companies.  Fortunately, it didn't really hurt the business, but woke them up.

Family members got their 1st 1*.  They ignored my advice for years about building their online reputation, and the day finally came.  Really brings down your rating when you only have a handful of reviews.  Now they are playing catch up interviewing seo companies.  Fortunately, it didn't really hurt the business, but woke them up.
That happened to me several years ago.  I had one of the 2 worst human beings I have ever met in my life in my chair as a patient.  She was/is a horrible person, as I confirmed looking at her social media posts, and decided to just go after me.  Woke me up to be more proactive in getting our happy patients to leave reviews, etc.  Take a silver lining when you can.

You sent a bunch of messages and texts over ten dollars?

You sent a bunch of messages and texts over ten dollars?
Sorry, not all of my patients/clients owe me in the thousands like with attorneys. ;) Unfortunately, my AR is littered with $10 to $40 copays that people leave before paying and hope it is forgotten.  If you do not have processes in place to collect that, it can be a pretty wheat penny over time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Online reputations work both ways.  She comes after you and if you wanted, you can do the same to her online reputation.  I am probably more vindictive than you, but if I owned a small business and some jackass lied about me and tried to hurt my business, I would contact her employer and tell them about the kind of person they have on their team.  I hate people like her and would like to see more civility online, but until then sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.

Sorry, not all of my patients/clients owe me in the thousands like with attorneys. ;) Unfortunately, my AR is littered with $10 to $40 copays that people leave before paying and hope it is forgotten.  If you do not have processes in place to collect that, it can be a pretty wheat penny over time.
Would not a better procedure require payment of the co-pay BEFORE the appointment?  Then you're never stiffed.  Right?  

Did the statements offer long term payment plans?

Would not a better procedure require payment of the co-pay BEFORE the appointment?  Then you're never stiffed.  Right?  
In a perfect world, sure, but when so many of our visits have additional amounts to be paid afterwards, I had always figured to take care of it all at once, but this is making me reconsider. :)

Online reputations work both ways.  She comes after you and if you wanted, you can do the same to her online reputation.  I am probably more vindictive than you, but if I owned a small business and some jackass lied about me and tried to hurt my business, I would contact her employer and tell them about the kind of person they have on their team.  I hate people like her and would like to see more civility online, but until then sometimes you have to fight fire with fire.
Depending on the state you are in, this can land you in a lawsuit and depending on what exactly you said, you could lose.

In a perfect world, sure, but when so many of our visits have additional amounts to be paid afterwards, I had always figured to take care of it all at once, but this is making me reconsider. :)
Respond to her Yelp review with:

"Dear Shrew - sorry you had a less than ideal experience at Mad Cow's Glasses Hut.  We here at MCGH strive to give our customer's terrific service coupling my medical expertise with our company's superlative friendly service.  Due to your inability to pay the $10 co-pay in a timely manner, which we tried to collect from you several times, leading us to turn you over to collections - something we always try to avoid - we have changed our business practices to collect co-pays up front to avoid a similar situation from happening again.  I don't expect you will give us another opportunity to provide you with extraordinary medical care, but I do want to thank you for creating a change to our business practices which will avoid another uncomfortable experience with a delinquent paying customer like you.

Tootles,

Mad Cow

Uh, I have a suggestion. Collect it before the appointment. That way you don't need a process in place to collect it afterwards.

Does she have kids?

Subscriptions to White Bum Busters, Bicurious Babes, and Aunts With A Shvantz magazines.

In her name. 

To her kids' school address.

Uh, I have a suggestion. Collect it before the appointment. That way you don't need a process in place to collect it afterwards.
Unless it's a case of you don't know what the copay will be until you are done with them, seems like this would be the way to go.

I've been to places you do your copay at the start, didn't think anything of it.

she pretends like she sent it in November and it was lost in the mail. 
I definitely wouldn't just immediately assume that it wasn't. It's happened to me recently too. The USPS sucks, they lose letters all the time, in fact a local news station just did a report on this exact thing. Amazing, they sent a letter across town and it didn't get there until a month later. Tennessee has to be the king of crappy USPS serice

Rather than sending thirty five texts and voicemails and going into collections for 10 bucks, why not start collecting your copays in advance?  Wouldn’t that solve this?

please send me $10 for my business-saving advice. Will follow up by text 

Damnit. 

Seriously though plenty of doctors collect it when you check in, before you see them. Problem solved. 

SO many cases, you do not know what their fees will be ahead of time.  Yes, the basic exam, but then if they want contact lenses, or other diagnostic tests, that changes things dramatically.  That is the biggest reason to take care of it later, and coverages and insurances cause a very wide array of changes to those fees, too.  Makes consistency hard until at the end and you know what was performed in the exam room. :shrug:   Taking the thought under serious consideration.

And I looked at her account, we sent her 4 texts and monthly statements about the bill.  Not a ridiculous amount and all were saying essentially Hey, there is this balance for services rendered on X/X/2017.  Please contact our office so we can take care of this.  Thank you.

And yes, USPS does suck and I have had letters get lost, but they look like hell when they arrive.  This one was in amazing condition.

Seems like other FBG's have not had too many issues with this, not having wanted it to become about this one instance. :shrug:   Like I said earlier, it is like once or twice a year, and I usually relent, since it is not worth it.  Just wanted to really vent about people.  Oh well.

Depending on the state you are in, this can land you in a lawsuit and depending on what exactly you said, you could lose.
I wouldn't want that, and my suggestion was just off the top of my head, so if that's not an available option I would find another way.  If I make a mistake, I will own up to it, make it right with the person, use it as a learning opportunity, and do better next time.  If someone is lying about me and is trying to hurt my livelihood (and by extension, my family), I will go after that person 10 times harder than they go after me.  I won't tolerate someone like her.  If she is lying, then I would threaten her with a lawsuit, if that is the most effective way of getting her (and others who may think about lying about me) to think again before going down that road.  Ideally, I would like to have a great relationship with everyone I meet, but if the other person makes it impossible and is going to come after me with lies, it's time to take off the gloves.

Is it legal to backdate a check like she did?  IIRC, it's not. 

It most certainly was not in response to your awesome website.  If you send her there, she'll likely pay up (and then some).  :oldunsure:  

Do you sell glasses and when my wife buys them do the $150 frames become $300 frames after you or your staff talked her into lens coating, progressives, etc?  If so I'm on the side of the angry lady. 

Do you sell glasses and when my wife buys them do the $150 frames become $300 frames after you or your staff talked her into lens coating, progressives, etc?  If so I'm on the side of the angry lady. 
If you only had to pay $150 to upgrade your glasses to have a nice progressive and AR coating, you could be :pickle: instead of :(     :yes:

But that's one of the issue with online reviews, the business is positively identified where most of the time the reviewer is hidden behind some screen name that can easily be dropped and changed for a new one.  The owner can likely figure out who it is, but really can't do much to call them out.  If people had to post under their real names a lot of stuff like that wouldn't be posted.

Somehow someday (long time from now) I think people need to be more directly attached to their online profiles.

If you only had to pay $150 to upgrade your glasses to have a nice progressive and AR coating, you could be :pickle: instead of :(     :yes:
Ugh, upselling seemingly worthless glasses "upgrades" makes me dislike buying glasses.  I always turn them down and my glasses are awesome. 

SO many cases, you do not know what their fees will be ahead of time.  Yes, the basic exam, but then if they want contact lenses, or other diagnostic tests, that changes things dramatically.  That is the biggest reason to take care of it later, and coverages and insurances cause a very wide array of changes to those fees, too.  Makes consistency hard until at the end and you know what was performed in the exam room. :shrug:   Taking the thought under serious consideration.

And I looked at her account, we sent her 4 texts and monthly statements about the bill.  Not a ridiculous amount and all were saying essentially Hey, there is this balance for services rendered on X/X/2017.  Please contact our office so we can take care of this.  Thank you.

And yes, USPS does suck and I have had letters get lost, but they look like hell when they arrive.  This one was in amazing condition.
"What we see during the exam and what glasses or contacts you choose will obviously affect the final bill but how would you like to pay your co-pay today?"

The problem with reviews for a lot of businesses is that people only leave one if things go badly, or if they are crazy.  My wife bought something from overseas and the shipper wasn't one we had ever heard of.  The package was held up a day and she checked the reviews and they were all horrible.  But who would leave a positive review if the package got there on time?

I think doctors are also a lot like this.

My Dentist let me sit on $40 until I came in again. Never bothered me and I didn't realize there was balance. Those guys get dumped on all of the time, too.
I forget does the FFA Dentist like to be dumped on or does he do the dumping on? I guess I'm asking if he likes to be the dumper or the dumpee?

Users who are viewing this thread