What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2020 Presidential Election Thread (1 Viewer)

Gillebrand is awful out the gate. She's already fallen into the trap Hillary did with her conservative statements she made to appeal to upstate/suburban New Yorkers running statewide versus what she wants to be now. That was then, this is now, etc.
I know this is seen as a negative, but it really shouldn't. She was elected to represent the people of upstate and her voting should reflect their more conservative thinking. Once she represents the larger electorate her voting should become more liberal as she now represents a far more diverse population. 

Aslo - politicians should be able to change their opinion on things as they age and become exposed to different thinking. This doesn't really seem like a flip flop on major issues just as she runs for president. Seems more like a natural evolution as she moves up the political chain. 

Gillebrand is awful out the gate. She's already fallen into the trap Hillary did with her conservative statements she made to appeal to upstate/suburban New Yorkers running statewide versus what she wants to be now. That was then, this is now, etc.
My instinct on her is that she'll make more people hate her to vote against her than inspire to vote for her, but that's only an initial feeling.

https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/syndicated-columnists/article224782985.html

Her comments on the Knights of Columbus.  She won’t make it out of the primaries.  Catholics are a big Democratic voting bloc
Her comments were factually correct about positions they have held, I doubt she loses many votes from this:

In considering the confirmation of Brian Buescher to a federal judgeship last month, Harris and Hirono submitted written questions that raised alarms about his membership in “an all-male society comprised primarily of Catholic men.”

“Were you aware,” Harris asked, “that the Knights of Columbus opposed a woman’s right to choose when you joined the organization?” And: “Have you ever, in any way, assisted with or contributed to advocacy against women’s reproductive rights?” And: “Were you aware that the Knights of Columbus opposed marriage equality when you joined the organization?”

Last edited by a moderator:
That was not a great rollout for Harris, early on a holiday on a tv talk show with half America on a football hangover. I do like her, I maybe think she’s more valuable in the Senate though, where she’s been one of the ablest questioners in hearing that I can recall.

And it’s already starting to feel crowded. I hope it stays 12 or under but I know that’s not likely.

Let us hope she isn't the nominee or we will have 4 more years of Trump, unless he goes to prison, then we have Pence to look forward to.

Well only 1 will make it out of the Democratic Primary, so this isn't a very risky prediction. 
I’m Catholic and have already heard many in my church going circle talk about her negatively. K of C is a popular philanthropy group in this part of the country and with Catholic  Democratics.  Other primary candidates will drive that home.  I don’t think she has a chance    

I’m Catholic and have already heard many in my church going circle talk about her negatively. K of C is a popular philanthropy group in this part of the country and with Catholic  Democratics.  Other primary candidates will drive that home.  I don’t think she has a chance    
Meh, I doubt that, but we will see.

And your anecdotal evidence, while interesting, is too small a sample size to be representative of Catholic Democrats.

How did she do that?
https://www.kansascity.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/syndicated-columnists/article224782985.html

Her comments on the Knights of Columbus.  She won’t make it out of the primaries.  Catholics are a big Democratic voting bloc
Well only 1 will make it out of the Democratic Primary, so this isn't a very risky prediction. 

point

you

I actually agree with you on this, that questioning is not appropriate. I don’t think it will really affect her run but it’s not right to impose religious tests.
Why is it inappropriate? Obviously abortion rights are a big issue with her. She was questioning a potential federal judge on membership in an all male, catholic group. Seems like a pretty legit concern.

I don't understand. She wasn't saying all catholics suck or something. Again, she was questioning a potential federal judge on whether his membership in an all-male catholic organization would affect his rulings on abortion. Seems pretty reasonable.

Also - I know a bunch of catholics. I can't imagine this would sway any of them. 

Why is it inappropriate? Obviously abortion rights are a big issue with her. She was questioning a potential federal judge on membership in an all male, catholic group. Seems like a pretty legit concern.
Because it's religious beliefs. I'm perplexed by this. And if he says yes and KOC is a group he's in, then what? It shouldn't play a role at all.

I would love for Kasich to run as an independent and choose a democrat female running mate.  But even then I doubt I could vote for them as I have to vote the best chance to get the orange fool out of the house.

Because it's religious beliefs. I'm perplexed by this. And if he says yes and KOC is a group he's in, then what? It shouldn't play a role at all.
But his religious beliefs may affect his rulings on abortion. She wasn't saying (I don't think) that being a Catholic is disqualifying. But the Catholic Church is quite open about its opposition to abortion. So it seems reasonable to wonder if he follows the Church's teachings on that.

She wasn't objecting to his religion. She wanted to know if his religion would affect his decision making in a way she considers negative.

Its no different than asking me if my love of the University of Michigan would affect me giving Urban Meyer a fair trial if I were a judge. It absolutely would.

John Harwood‏ @JohnJHarwood 4h4 hours ago

Kamala Harris was born 10 months before LBJ signed the Voting Rights Act

the idea that an African-American or woman - much less both - could seriously compete for the presidency was inconceivable then

things have changed arc of moral universe has bent

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/18/in-2020-democratic-race-for-president-virtually-all-the-barriers-are-gone.html

:yes:

Margaret Chase Smith ran in 1964 and Shirley Chisholm in 1972, but neither candidacy was taken seriously or given much of a chance to succeed at the time.

The Republican ex-Congressman has a better take on Kamala Harris than I have seen from 90% of the left today.

Joe Walsh‏ @WalshFreedom 3h3 hours ago

I disagree strongly with Kamala Harris's politics, I'm on the right, she's on the left, but think about it: It's Martin Luther King Jr Day 2019, and a black woman just announced she's running for President of the United States. That's pretty cool. That's a big deal.

The Republican ex-Congressman has a better take on Kamala Harris than I have seen from 90% of the left today.

Joe Walsh‏ @WalshFreedom 3h3 hours ago

I disagree strongly with Kamala Harris's politics, I'm on the right, she's on the left, but think about it: It's Martin Luther King Jr Day 2019, and a black woman just announced she's running for President of the United States. That's pretty cool. That's a big deal.
She would never win the fly over states.  Horrible choice for the Democrats.  As I've stated before, they would be better served to concentrate on electing Amy Klobuchar. 

The people deriding anyone’s chances to win the presidency in early 2019 should take a look at what people were saying about Trump’s chances in early 2015.

And if you think “middle America” won’t vote for a black woman from California who has worked hard for her success who has maybe said some mildly off-putting things that apply to some of them in the past, I’d like to hear you explain why the did vote for a white man from NYC who inherited millions and made more by screwing over the working class and who has said far more off-putting things about some of them in the past.  

Unless you’re finally willing to admit the real reason why? 

The people deriding anyone’s chances to win the presidency in early 2019 should take a look at what people were saying about Trump’s chances in early 2015.

And if you think “middle America” won’t vote for a black woman from California who has worked hard for her success who has maybe said some mildly off-putting things that apply to some of them in the past, I’d like to hear you explain why the did vote for a white man from NYC who inherited millions and made more by screwing over the working class and who has said far more off-putting things about some of them in the past.  

It has nothing to do with the color of her skin.  The Midwest doesn't trust extreme left leaning liberals from California.  They simply don't identify where her politics.

:shrug:  Trump ran against Hillary. 

She would never win the fly over states.  Horrible choice for the Democrats.  As I've stated before, they would be better served to concentrate on electing Amy Klobuchar. 
And as I have stated before she is too bland to get most Democrats excited about her candidacy and turn out at the polls.

And, as much as I like Harris and share many if not most of her positions, there would be a problem in many states that Trump carried with a woman of color candidate opposing him.

It has nothing to do with the color of her skin.  The Midwest doesn't trust extreme left leaning liberals from California.  They simply don't identify where her politics.
That wasn’t KD’s point, he was specifically pointing to a couple things about catholic..  And Harris is struggling with the extreme left because of her moderate background.  And last I checked the Midwest wasn’t too fond of wealthy Manhattan social climbers  either.

Try again.

For the record, I don’t share my fellow FBG’s condescending view of Midwesterners’ biases and inability to forgive minor missteps in someone’s past. I think they’re just as open to supporting good candidates with good ideas as anyone else.

For the record, I don’t share my fellow FBG’s condescending view of Midwesterners’ biases and inability to forgive minor missteps in someone’s past. I think they’re just as open to supporting good candidates with good ideas as anyone else.
Why do you think that?

That wasn’t KD’s point, he was specifically pointing to a couple things about catholic..  And Harris is struggling with the extreme left because of her moderate background.  And last I checked the Midwest wasn’t too fond of wealthy Manhattan social climbers  either.

Try again.
The fly over people liked what Trump was offering.  I don't think they'll like what Harris offers. 

The fly over people liked what Trump was offering.  I don't think they'll like what Harris offers. 
You don’t know what she offers. She’s just getting started. I find it odd that you are dismissing her before she even begins her campaign.  At this point in his campaign all Trump had done is ride down a gold escalator and rail against Mexicans.

Im sorry you think so little of midwesteners and their ability to be open-minded and make judgments based on substance instead of whatever it is you think they’re judging her on. I don’t share your pessimism and negativity towards our fellow Americans.

You don’t know what she offers. She’s just getting started. I find it odd that you are dismissing her before she even begins her campaign.  At this point in his campaign all Trump had done is ride down a gold escalator and rail against Mexicans.

Im sorry you think so little of midwesteners and their ability to be open-minded and make judgments based on substance instead of whatever it is you think they’re judging her on. I don’t share your pessimism and negativity towards our fellow Americans.
The fly over people won't like her tax plan, which would add  2.8 trillion to federal deficit in its first 10 years and an additional $3.4 trillion in the following decade.  Also, there is that single payer healthcare for all thing, which is a cost of 30 trillion.   I'm pretty sure the fly over people won't gravitate toward that kind of thinking. 

Why do you think that?
Because many of them supported Obama, for one.  And because I don’t like stereotyping people based on where they live.  

37% of New Yorkers voted for Trump. 41% of South Carolinians voted for Clinton.  We’re not as different state-to-state as many people believe. Rural vs urban, maybe, but not state to state or region to region.

The fly over people won't like her tax plan, which would add  2.8 trillion to federal deficit in its first 10 years and an additional $3.4 trillion in the following decade.  Also, there is that single payer healthcare for all thing, which is a cost of 30 trillion.   I'm pretty sure the fly over people won't gravitate toward that kind of thinking. 
Trump pitched ideas that would have added massively to the federal deficit (and has done so as prez), and campaigned on universal health care. 

Try again.  

TobiasFunke said:
37% of New Yorkers voted for Trump.

We’re not as different state-to-state as many people believe. Rural vs urban, maybe, but not state to state or region to region.
Yeah, upstate is a whole other world. Basically only NYC is blue.

Rabbit Trail Hijack: Trump vote in NYC by borough: Bronx - 10%, Brooklyn - 18%, Manhattan - 10%, Queens - 22%, Staten Island - 57%

In my voting precinct at the time (Hell's Kitchen - the block of both sides 43rd Street and south side 44th Street between 9th and 10th Avenues):

Hillary received 1170 votes, Trump received 20. Not a typo.

Users who are viewing this thread