What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*****David Hogg Thread***** (1 Viewer)

Every time this comes up, it's a goldmine for both manufacturers and the NRA.  I'll believe there will be substantive change when we see it.  Our politicians never compromise anymore and both sides default to the extreme positions resulting in the status quo being the almost inevitable outcome.
in your opinion, what is the extreme position of the left on this issue?

was the Dickey Amendment repealed with this budget agreement?
Can’t quote it right on my phone.  I’ll edit it for attribution.

“The current spending bill does not repeal the amendment. Rather, an accompanying report states that the CDC is not barred from conducting research on the causes of gun violence. But the spending bill offers no funds for new gun violence research. “When I actually see dollars appropriated, I’ll see a reason for celebration,” Daniel Webster, a professor of American health at Johns Hopkins University, says.”

I’m gonna regret joining in but you do know that the talk about banning ‘assault rifles’ and ‘AR-15’ are just for discussion purposes. If it ever got to the point of writing legislation it would never be based on a broad term like ‘assault rifle’ or a specific weapon like ‘AR-15’. Legislation would spell out specifics about the guns that would be banned such as being semi-automatic, ability to be easily modified to semi-automatic/automatic, clip size, etc. Sure gun manufacturers could modify their guns to get around these restrictions but isn’t that the whole point?

Your basis of the Supreme Court striking down any law like this is based off of nothing. Just because the court is now a conservative majority doesn’t mean that they will automatically back something just because it is based on conservative beliefs. There needs to be legal basis behind them striking it down, what is the legal basis?
Except for its already happened before and they either weren’t smart enough to spell out specifics or didn’t think the Supreme Court would hold it up.

You guys are right, I think this March will ban Assualt Rifles.  It’s never happened once in the two hundred plus years of our country’s history with all of our Democrat Presidents or Judges, but I’m sure it will be easy to do with a Republican President, Senate, and House along with a conservative leaning Supreme Court.  

You guys are right, I think this March will ban Assualt Rifles.  It’s never happened once in the two hundred plus years of our country’s history with all of our Democrat Presidents or Judges, but I’m sure it will be easy to do with a Republican President, Senate, and House along with a conservative leaning Supreme Court.  
Are you related to my wife? This is the way she argues when she’s losing- just completely changes the subject away from the substance of her defeat (which in your case was the consititutionality of an assault weapons ban.) 

I support universal background checks, just makes good sense.  You know what else just makes good sense?  Voter id.  Voter id is rejected because it can create barriers to constitutionally protected rights (specifically targeting the poor and minorities who do not have transportation or ability to access these voter ids).  Universal background checks would incur some costs as well, which I assume would be passed on to the gun buyer - which one could argue could create financial barriers to a constitutionally protected right.  Definitely not apples to apples, but just a random thought I had. PS - not a gun owner, never plan to be a gun owner - and don't want students dying from gun violence. 

We haven't had kids being slaughtered in schools for two hundred plus years. And it's absurd to think that just because something hasn't happened means that it never will. We had two hundred plus years of gay people not being able to marry with all of our Democratic Presidents and judges and that changed damn near in the blink of an eye.

I support universal background checks, just makes good sense.  You know what else just makes good sense?  Voter id.  Voter id is rejected because it can create barriers to constitutionally protected rights (specifically targeting the poor and minorities who do not have transportation or ability to access these voter ids).  Universal background checks would incur some costs as well, which I assume would be passed on to the gun buyer - which one could argue could create financial barriers to a constitutionally protected right.  Definitely not apples to apples, but just a random thought I had. PS - not a gun owner, never plan to be a gun owner - and don't want students dying from gun violence. 
Other than the fact that voter IDs are a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist, save no lives, and are basically designed to limit minority turnout, I’m totally on board with your analogy. 

ya think?

I think the upcoming midterms are going to tweak this a bit.

Google the 1994 Assault Weapons ban. 

It's making a huge difference in FL.  All the kids are going to have to use clear backpacks, and it's basically going to be the nail in the coffin for already failing public schools.  The politicians quickly approved all of these school security requirements they have no way to pay for.  Check out the letter from my districts superintendent,

Dear Parents and Staff,

I am writing to update you on Gov. Scott's decision to approve the state education budget for 2018-19. We were expecting more funding for our students than what was approved, especially since the state has billions of dollars available to fund both school security and classroom needs.

The state budget includes an increase of just 47 cents per student in flexible funding for our district. The Legislature also added several new expenses we must take on, but not the amount of money needed to cover those costs.

This puts our district in a challenging position. After we take out the funding and expenses that come from natural population growth in our district, we expect about $19.7 million in new funding. But we’re expecting about $35.8 million in new expenses. That gives us an expected starting deficit of about $16.1 million for the 2018-19 school year.

Those new expenses include things like adding more than 100 required new school resource officers, increased retirement contributions, increased health care costs, increasing utility rates, and so on. There are several other new laws that were passed, and we’re reviewing the impact they may have on our budget, but we don’t think they will come close to the $16.1 million we need – and they may even make our situation worse.

For months, we have been putting cost-saving steps in place across our district that have saved millions of dollars. Those steps will definitely help, but the amount of funding in this state budget is far lower than we had expected. I will keep you updated and involved as we build our district budget, and please continue to let our state leaders know you support funding for our schools – tell them “Let’s do more” for our students and our future.

Sincerely,

Jeff Eakins

Superintendent

Hey, in October, 2016, I'd have said pretty much the same thing about electing an incompetent, corrupt, unqualified, serial sexual offender to be President.  So, I figure the odds here are pretty good.

Google the 1994 Assault Weapons ban. 
You must have missed the whole conversation where it wasn’t actually an assault rifle ban, just labeled an assault rifle ban.  Mass murder rifles that were almost identical were still legal. Let me take my pistol grip and grenade launcher off so I can go buy an assault rifle... I mean gun.

You must have missed the whole conversation where it wasn’t actually an assault rifle ban, just labeled an assault rifle ban.  Mass murder rifles that were almost identical were still legal. Let me take my pistol grip and grenade launcher off so I can go buy an assault rifle... I mean gun.
No, I didn’t miss it.

if at 18 a person is so immature and incapable and adolescent that they're unable to handle a simple thing as a gun ...... I question what else this generation cannot handle, absolutely. Remember, this generation is the problem, guns have been handled by kids and youth for every generation, before 1968 kids could buy guns and ammo at any age and there were fewer gun crimes in schools by kids before the age limit of 18 than after

kids have changed, youth has changed and they're acknowledging that right now by demanding 18 move to 21

knowing that they're so immature and incapable, its fair to move age limits on smoking, driving, voting etc too bases on the same knowledge that these youth of today simply are not becoming adults at 18 but rather at 21, they cannot be trusted with responsibility

if at 18 a person is so immature and incapable and adolescent that they're unable to handle a simple thing as a gun ...... I question what else this generation cannot handle, absolutely. Remember, this generation is the problem, guns have been handled by kids and youth for every generation, before 1968 kids could buy guns and ammo at any age and there were fewer gun crimes in schools by kids before the age limit of 18 than after

kids have changed, youth has changed and they're acknowledging that right now by demanding 18 move to 21

knowing that they're so immature and incapable, its fair to move age limits on smoking, driving, voting etc too bases on the same knowledge that these youth of today simply are not becoming adults at 18 but rather at 21, they cannot be trusted with responsibility
Ah, the old “my Constitutional Amendment is better than your Constitutional Amendment” argument. Bold move Cotton.

David Hogg‏ @davidhogg111 11h

The love and happiness that hugs from @Emma4Change @Ryan_Deitsch @MattxRed @JaclynCorin and so many others have given me is really what this country needs love is change we WILL change the world #TogetherStronger
I love the unwavering optimism, confidence and lack of cynicism that usually only teenagers have that they can actually change the world - and in this case they may be right.

Matthias said:
Upshot to the OP, though, is I don't think the march did, or will do, anything. Within 2 weeks the country will have moved on to another tempest.
The same thing was said after the shooting, which was over a month ago.

I think threats will be taken way more seriously now.
I don't know what's going on in other areas. But for about three weeks or so after Parkland, our local media was reporting on various online and "meatspace" threats made against schools. It seemed there was one or two new reports making local news every day. The implication has been that in the recent past, such threats were treated pretty much in-house by the schools with parental involvement when forthcoming. After Parkland, however, making threats of any kind -- leaving paper notes to be read, online threats, etc. -- are being treated as actual expulsion-worthy events and furthermore attracting the notice of law enforcement.

The local media has actually stopped (or reduced) reporting on these types of events lately. However, the parental grapevine at both my kids' schools remain active with accounts of more kids getting tossed out, say, for making "hit lists" of fellow students or for cyberstalking.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cameron Kasky‏ @cameron_kasky 3h3 hours ago

The strength of this movement always has and always will come from unity. Different communities with different people and different views must continue to interact with and support each other. All they want is to tear us apart.

We won’t let them.

#MarchForOurLives

Also, LaPierre’s cash cow known as the @NRA thinks they rode this one out and made it through the march.

They think it’s over now and they’re good to continue their gun-peddling child-endangering business where they exploit the fears of their members.

The people won’t let them.

https://twitter.com/cameron_kasky

There will be big changes coming very soon in our country. Inevitable demographics are coming that will wipe out Trump and alot of the backwards thinking bought off politicians in due course. It can't come soon enough.
I wouldn't say "very soon" ... but in sociological terms, soon enough I imagine. Our grandkids would never vote in even a very moderate 2018-style Republican to anything more than dogcatcher, if that.

The Republican Party of Reagan is going through its death throes right now, though I see a lot of people are gloating that "Republicans control everything!" Very nice, but 2018 is not "for all time". The Republican Party may exist in name in 50 years, but the politics of that party will be further left than the current Democratic Party. The Democratic Party of the 2070s will be "Europeanized" and noticeably further left than Bernie Sanders on most policies.

The 2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution will certainly not survive the 22nd (twenty-second) century. Even money that it won't survive the 21st. People born in the 2010s and 2020s will be controlling state legislatures in 50-70 years ... and they'll run 90%+ liberal by 2018 standards.

Our politicians never compromise anymore and both sides default to the extreme positions resulting in the status quo being the almost inevitable outcome.
In 2018, it seems like the tug-of-war will last forever but attrition is inevitable. One side of the rope will, in societal terms, suddenly drop with nobody left to pull.

25-30 years, at very best. Might be as few as a dozen.
It’s easy for people to confuse emotions with logic.  I’m glad to see someone can have a big picture view of things.  

Constantly hearing about Democrats talk about gun control when Republicans are in charge is like constantly hearing about Republicans talk about massive spending bills when the Democrats are in charge.  

Other than the fact that voter IDs are a solution to a problem that doesn’t exist, save no lives, and are basically designed to limit minority turnout, I’m totally on board with your analogy. 
Of all the people that legally own weapons, what percentage of that number have engaged in gun violence?  What percentage of gun violence is attributable to people that do not legally own weapons?  Seems to me the only way to end gun violence is to get rid of all guns.  What is the plan for that?  Is that something you want?

It’s easy for people to confuse emotions with logic.  I’m glad to see someone can have a big picture view of things.  

Constantly hearing about Democrats talk about gun control when Republicans are in charge is like constantly hearing about Republicans talk about massive spending bills when the Democrats are in charge.  
All that is needed from you is to get out of the way.

All that is needed from you is to get out of the way.
My bad :shrug: , didn’t realize I was the reason Democrats had control of the White House, Senate, and House and instead of making common sense gun laws they legalized machine guns and ramped up gun production to all time highs  :rant:   Let me step out of your way.   :hifive:

Kids gotta stay in the news cycle through November.  There is a second walkout April 20.  If they pull off organizing these town halls, that gets them some media coverage in the summer.  How do they stay in the public consciousness in the fall?

Matthias said:
Who cares where they stay in public consciousness? What's going to happen legislatively? Or at SCOTUS? Marches make the marchers feel good. But don't change law.
Very little will change right now.  It'll be over the next 10 years as this generation finds itself in driver's seat.  That's when meaningful gun legislation will get passed.

Kids gotta stay in the news cycle through November.  There is a second walkout April 20.  If they pull off organizing these town halls, that gets them some media coverage in the summer.  How do they stay in the public consciousness in the fall?
They really should have picked any day other than that one.

Matthias said:
Who cares where they stay in public consciousness? What's going to happen legislatively? Or at SCOTUS? Marches make the marchers feel good. But don't change law.
Marches keep the conversation alive. Again, we'll see in November.

My bad :shrug: , didn’t realize I was the reason Democrats had control of the White House, Senate, and House and instead of making common sense gun laws they legalized machine guns and ramped up gun production to all time highs  :rant:   Let me step out of your way.   :hifive:
:shrug:

IMO this is one of those topics where you are either part of the solution or part of the problem. 

Unfortunately, I think the thing that fuels the movement are the odds that there will be another school shooting. Not that anyone is wishing for that to happen, but I think intensity will grow with each incident moving forward.

If there is no mass shooting between now and November (which seems highly unlikely) there may be a some loss of momentum. 

Doesn't have to be the same kids forever more.

As for staying in the public consciousness ... in the current political climate, there's likely going to be another Sandy Hook or Parkland between now and November. Horribly, it might be two or three more.

If nothing changed after Sandy Hook, nothing is changing.

I honestly dont know what it will take if a classroom full of dead 7 year olds doesn't even move the needle.

Matthias said:
And if all of the Jill Stein voters had voted for Hillary, they wouldn't have to be marching. Not to mention that all the people marching are probably going to vote Democrat for all sorts of other reasons as well. Do you really think a red-state voter is going to cross the NRA because a bunch of liberals marched on Washington? I don't. Do you remember all the marches protesting the Iraq War? And treatment of prisoners? And all sorts of other things? I do.
This isn't that. This is children creeping up on voting age saying you all are ####### up. A completely different kind of protest.

Users who are viewing this thread