What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty: Michael Gallup Puns Galore (1 Viewer)

No clue why things are so quiet on Gallup this year. Dallas is expected to be one the most high powered offenses in the league. Dak is being projected as a top 3 QB. Amari Cooper is being taken as WR14 while Gallup is 29. Here were their stats last season:

Cooper 16 games, 79 catches, 1189 yards and 8 TDs

Gallup: 14 games, 66 catches, 1107 yards and 6 TDs

I get they took Lamb but they also lost Cobb who had 55/828/3 which would be a perfectly successful rookie year for a WR- especially with the shortened offseason. Witten is leaving 63/529/4 behind as well. The gap between Cooper and Gallup doesn't make sense IMO. They should both be closer to WR 19-20 range. I prefer Gallup because there's a higher ceiling. He is still developing and we don't know what the final product will be. At this point, we know who Cooper is: 1000-1200 yards and 5-8 TDs with a maddening mix of blow-up games and vanishing acts. 

No clue why things are so quiet on Gallup this year. Dallas is expected to be one the most high powered offenses in the league. Dak is being projected as a top 3 QB. Amari Cooper is being taken as WR14 while Gallup is 29. Here were their stats last season:

Cooper 16 games, 79 catches, 1189 yards and 8 TDs

Gallup: 14 games, 66 catches, 1107 yards and 6 TDs

I get they took Lamb but they also lost Cobb who had 55/828/3 which would be a perfectly successful rookie year for a WR- especially with the shortened offseason. Witten is leaving 63/529/4 behind as well. The gap between Cooper and Gallup doesn't make sense IMO. They should both be closer to WR 19-20 range. I prefer Gallup because there's a higher ceiling. He is still developing and we don't know what the final product will be. At this point, we know who Cooper is: 1000-1200 yards and 5-8 TDs with a maddening mix of blow-up games and vanishing acts. 
I agree 100 percent. In my 12 team PPr redraft, Cooper went at 3.08 and I grabbed Gallup at 6.05. That's a huge differnce in draft capital for a guy that I think we will be better anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the 4th round reaching for him?  I am thinking it's NOT
Just for reference, I got him at 6.05 in my 12 team PPR redraft last weekend. 

Edit - if you think he may be gone by your fifth round pick and you really want him, then go for it. Those WR's in rounds 4,5,6 are all pretty close anyway.

Just for reference, I got him at 6.05 in my 12 team PPR redraft last weekend. 

Edit - if you think he may be gone by your fifth round pick and you really want him, then go for it. Those WR's in rounds 4,5,6 are all pretty close anyway.
Thanks..yeah..you are right, I think I can wait until the 5th.  Drafting from the 12th spot in a 12 teamer I hope he'll be there at 5.12.  The 4th might be a reach....

Just for thought what would his ADP be if the Cowboys hadn't taken Lamb and just signed a Taylor Gabriel type as WR3 depth?

Like 3rd round?

Thanks..yeah..you are right, I think I can wait until the 5th.  Drafting from the 12th spot in a 12 teamer I hope he'll be there at 5.12.  The 4th might be a reach....
If you can wait till the 5th, I’m pretty sure you can wait till the 6th.

Michael Gallup caught 3-of-5 targets for 50 yards in Week 1 against the Rams.

Gallup finished behind Amari Cooper and CeeDee Lamb in both targets and yards. He had his longest catch of the night called back on a penalty. The Cowboys lost TE Blake Jarwin to a torn ACL, potentially giving Lamb even more target share in the middle of the field. Gallup should have some blowup games, but he has the lowest ceiling of the Cowboys' wideouts.

- Rotoworld

Gallup feels like a potential buy-low after week 1. With Cooper and Lamb out-targeting him, I think some owners might be panicking slightly. With Jarwin out, it only increases the chance that there is room for all 3.
Yep

The OPI was bs too. Ramsey was interfering just as much

Yep

The OPI was bs too. Ramsey was interfering just as much
Ramsey was certainly hand checking, but it looked to me like a textbook example of "straighten the arm and push off" by Gallup.  Perhaps it was just Ramsey selling it successfully, but I thought it was a pretty easy call to make.

Was released in my redraft league...

66/1,100/6TDs a year ago...someone mentioned the 50 yd OPI and that would have had a 4/100 stat line, very close to his role last year. He isn't going ot be a safe 10-12 points a week, he either has a big day or it's going to be a slight disappointment. 

Gallup/Cooper 95% of snaps, Lamb about 80%, all 3-WR Sets, he is out there. 

Cooper 14 Targets, Lamb 6, Gallup 5...25 Total to the WRs, that could increase, Dallas only scored 17, that can't continue every week. 

I probably need to pick him up 

I actually think he could be a decent start this week. Jarwin out and the game could be a shootout. 

To me Gallup is a hold. I'm not starting him this week but wouldn't cut him.
Just my opinion, but I think this is the wrong approach with Gallup.  He's likely your WR3, possibly your WR2, but he is a guy that should have been drafted expecting some inconsistency.  If you sit a guy like Gallup after he has a stinker, you really risk missing his big games.  Especially this week, with Atlanta up next.

To me Gallup is a hold. I'm not starting him this week but wouldn't cut him.
i think he will be inconsistent this year, moreso than last year. matchup based start more than an every week start. it would make sense to pair him with ceedee if you can because if either gets hurt you're going to have an every week wr2 w/upside

Just my opinion, but I think this is the wrong approach with Gallup.  He's likely your WR3, possibly your WR2, but he is a guy that should have been drafted expecting some inconsistency.  If you sit a guy like Gallup after he has a stinker, you really risk missing his big games.  Especially this week, with Atlanta up next.
Aggressive approach but I like it. Now what if your WR1 is Tyreek Hill(25th-Wk1) WR2 AJ Brown/Cooper Kupp(Neither real strong Game 1) and now you're WR3 might have been Gallup although I never saw him as more than a WR4+ with Lamb coming on to the team. Gallup could still haul in 50/750/5TDs and look good doing it but just not get enough targets weekly to rely on for much. And if he does have a Big game, that might be 25% of his production for the season, that is going to be a lot of holes on other weeks at your WR3/Flex area, that's not good. 

But I agree with your logic and I'm sure you will be right in the coming weeks, maybe Atlanta is the perfect storm. 

Gallup is 24th on a somewhat known site and I think we should start talking about the scheme and game plan going forward. Lamb looked smooth but he also didn't produce a whole lot after he caught the football, I'm sure he'll break one off. I could see Dallas trying to go back to Gallup a little more this week in a must win game really for both teams, should be tons of offense early and often. 

I would be a little surprised if Gallup didn't come out of this with a big play or two, 75yds and maybe a TD. Is that 5/75/TD, 6/101, 4/80 but it won't likely look like 10/120, he doesn't run those kind of routes so he is reliant on down field throws or stretching the field it seems. He will be boom or bust most weeks. 

Gallup is 24th on a somewhat known site and I think we should start talking about the scheme and game plan going forward. Lamb looked smooth but he also didn't produce a whole lot after he caught the football, I'm sure he'll break one off. I could see Dallas trying to go back to Gallup a little more this week in a must win game really for both teams, should be tons of offense early and often. 

I would be a little surprised if Gallup didn't come out of this with a big play or two, 75yds and maybe a TD. Is that 5/75/TD, 6/101, 4/80 but it won't likely look like 10/120, he doesn't run those kind of routes so he is reliant on down field throws or stretching the field it seems. He will be boom or bust most weeks. 
Go on... 

feel free to PM if you don’t want to state it on the forum

Aggressive approach but I like it. Now what if your WR1 is Tyreek Hill(25th-Wk1) WR2 AJ Brown/Cooper Kupp(Neither real strong Game 1) and now you're WR3 might have been Gallup although I never saw him as more than a WR4+ with Lamb coming on to the team. Gallup could still haul in 50/750/5TDs and look good doing it but just not get enough targets weekly to rely on for much. And if he does have a Big game, that might be 25% of his production for the season, that is going to be a lot of holes on other weeks at your WR3/Flex area, that's not good. 

But I agree with your logic and I'm sure you will be right in the coming weeks, maybe Atlanta is the perfect storm. 
I think you would agree that your projections, and viewing him as a WR4, would be on the conservative side.  He was pretty universally ranked as a WR3, and most projections had him doing a bit more than 50/750/5.

Typically, your WR3 is either a high upside/low floor guy like Gallup, or a low upside/high floor guy.  You've gotten really lucky if your WR3 is a weekly stud.  If you go the high upside/low floor like Gallup, you just have to be patient.  You can play the match-ups, if your depth allows.  However, benching those type guys strictly due to a bad game, or a couple bad games in a row, is arguably the wrong approach for that type of player.  You should have expected the bad games, hope to be able to offset them with the rest of your lineup, and know that the good games will likely make you tough to beat that week.

Michael Gallup caught 2-of-5 targets for 58 yards in the Cowboys' Week 2 win over the Falcons.

It was an extremely disappointing day on an afternoon when Dak Prescott threw for 450 yards. Gallup was stuck on 1-20-0 before the final drive. His five targets were fifth on the team behind all of Amari Cooper, CeeDee Lamb, Dalton Schultz, and Ezekiel Elliott. Gallup has just 108 scoreless yards on five catches through two games. He might need to be dropped down to WR3 status ahead of Week 3 against the Seahawks.

- Rotoworld

What happened to this guy???  I know it's only 2 week, but this week was telling.
Lamb happened. Gallup just isn't on his level. Lamb is the future WR1 in this offense and it's not close. Kudos to those who took Lamb in dynasty rookies drafts before all the big 5 RB's were gone. It will pay dividends in the future. And shame on the Raiders and Broncos for taking Ruggs and Jeudy before Lamb. They will regret it. 

Lamb happened. Gallup just isn't on his level. Lamb is the future WR1 in this offense and it's not close. Kudos to those who took Lamb in dynasty rookies drafts before all the big 5 RB's were gone. It will pay dividends in the future. And shame on the Raiders and Broncos for taking Ruggs and Jeudy before Lamb. They will regret it. 
If I have Lamb and Gallup do I start Lamb going forward?

I would...Gallup will surely outpace him some weeks but Lamb is more talented and is the future.  His role should continue to increase as the season goes on.

I’ve come to accept this as well, but that’s not a bad thing. If Dak is locked up long term, this offense can support two WRs. The issue becomes if Dallas extends Gallup or cuts Cooper. I’m not sure they can do both. 

Lamb is a super star, and he is forcing his way into playing time/targets. Gallup is no shlub, but he’s not an alpha. 

As a Gallup owner, I’m not terribly concerned long term. He always did better with an alpha opposite him, and if Dallas moves on from Cooper at some point then I could see him return to having some good WR2/3 weeks. For now it’s hard to start him as he will be streaky, but as what was said above- there will be days where he out scores Lamb

It seems like he is not a priority in the offense at this point.  The TEs are being used more than we thought and even Zeke is being used more in the passing game.  While Dak can support two WRs he has three right now so one of those three is going to be on the short stick any given week. So far it has been Gallup although other weeks it will be Lamb or Cooper. In the future, if it is just two of those three you will see the two who remain do very well. But this year? It's a guessing game.

I got Lamb in my Dynasty startup league this year in, I think, the 6th. Got CEH in 1 and JT in third. Happy so far.2 QB superflex. 

Vegas was bizarre for taking Ruggs first, but can't knock Denver for taking Jeudy. They were very comparable. And Jeudy has looked good so far. But I think most experts had Lamb ranked 1. (I TOOK Jeudy in the 7 th in that same league.) 

richn said:

Mingooch said:
I have them both as well and am leaning that way so far.
Per PFF

“It was the offensive shootout we all hoped for. After a slow start from the Dallas Cowboys, it became the fireworks show we were promised. Rookie wide receiver CeeDee Lamb led the team in receiving yards (106) and tied Amari Cooper with nine targets.

For a second-straight week, Lamb did his damage from the slot — that means he's going to see plenty of action next week. The Seattle Seahawks have allowed the most targets, receptions, yards and passing plays of at least 15 yards to the slot in 2020.”
I also own both and will be starting Lamb over Gallup moving forward. Especially next week. I’m considering starting Lamb over Beckham to be honest.

I'm not actually that worried. It seems like Gallup is very nearly 100% of the Cowboys' vertical passing game, and on top of that they haven't been taking many shots. There's also been a couple plays where I can see Gallup break open, but the play is designed for something safer or underneath and the first read is there. 

I'd say give it a couple more weeks in redraft. In dynasty...I'd expect Cooper goes in the next year or two to make room for Dak money as Lamb proves his worth and Gallup moves back into the thick of it. 

This guy is a good player. Suspect they might move him at some point to go with the other 2 as a unit. It's not a slight on him but he is not paid as much as cooper and he isn't as young as lamb.

Technically he might be the best of the 3.

Users who are viewing this thread