What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Mason Rudolph, PIT (2 Viewers)

Bri said:
James Washington value increases.

San Fran isn't that good that rushing Ben back is a big concern
Really? I've watched them twice and while Winston was instrumental in their 1st week win, the fact is they ripped apart Cinci after they almost won in Seattle. The Niners have 72 points in 2 road victories and are now primed to play Pittsburgh at home who have been torched now in their Secondary twice. Jimmy G seems to be slowly putting it back together but I would say he flipped a switch in Cinci...I don't think the Steelers are thinking they can rest anyone or that any team they play right now is "beatable" outside of maybe the Miami Dolphins. Pittsburgh is quickly turning into a terrible situation and season in 2019. It's looking like they might miss the playoffs two years in a row, Tomlin missed the playoffs in '09, '12 and '13 B2B seasons and also last year in 2018. People are about to lose their jobs if they don't get this ironed out quickly so I think there is plenty of reasons to want to rush Ben back, the issue is the actual injury and what happens when things start turning colder...bad elbow on your throwing arm of your Hall of Fame QB is definitely cause for panic. 

The issue of rushing Ben back is moot now.   

The Steelers need to be able to run the ball now and thus far haven't been too successful.  We'll know more about Conner's knee tomorrow but for now I would bump Samuels up and Snells might be worth picking up.  Vance MacDonald should be bumped up and maybe washington slightly.   

Bri said:
James Washington value increases.

San Fran isn't that good that rushing Ben back is a big concern
I'd say the 49'ers are a better team than the Steelers right now.  Not sure how you can that.

The issue of rushing Ben back is moot now.   

The Steelers need to be able to run the ball now and thus far haven't been too successful.  We'll know more about Conner's knee tomorrow but for now I would bump Samuels up and Snells might be worth picking up.  Vance MacDonald should be bumped up and maybe washington slightly.   
Do the Steelers still have one of the best olines in the NFL?

Rudolph seemed to have radar lock for Vance McDonald and it would seem like the receivers inside 10 yards are better options for him. 

I think any idea of a WR2/3 being viable for this team takes a big hit.

-TE and RB should see an uptick and since Samuel is likely to see a lot of time now, he becomes a flex play immediately in PPR. 

Maybe on paper, but they haven't played like it this year.
That great oline and the threat of Big Ben passing downfield were the reasons Conner was considered a safe choice by most. The only change from last year was the loss of AB.

Rudolph seemed to have radar lock for Vance McDonald and it would seem like the receivers inside 10 yards are better options for him. 

I think any idea of a WR2/3 being viable for this team takes a big hit.

-TE and RB should see an uptick and since Samuel is likely to see a lot of time now, he becomes a flex play immediately in PPR. 
He and Washington have had a rapport for a long time

Takeaways from Week 2 Game Film (Fantasy Football)

Excerpt:

Mason Rudolph is an upgrade over Ben Roethlisberger

I might as well make the entire state of Pennsylvania upset with me. Please don’t hear me wrong; this has nothing to do with Ben’s historical career. Rather, he led the league in interceptions last year and had the same yards per attempt as Marcus Mariota and Eli Manning. He looked even worse over the last two weeks, then Rudolph came in and was surprisingly competent. In fact, the player he most reminds me of is a young Big Ben with a big durable frame, accuracy and poise in the pocket. Consider this a fantasy upgrade for Juju Smith-Schuster.

With the trade, the Steelers have put a lot of pressure on this guy to win now.  It doesn't help that he's starting with a 0-2 hole.  Let him be the savior!

With the trade, the Steelers have put a lot of pressure on this guy to win now.  It doesn't help that he's starting with a 0-2 hole.  Let him be the savior!
He was the 11th pick, and word coming from Pitt is that he was 7th on their board that year. While 3 or 4 players above him were in positions of non-need, including Baker Mayfield atop the list -- which would now be a huge need lol.  He has only confirmed how they graded him thus far.  And any pick can bust, but Minkah has already gotten past that and he has 3 years after this one still on that contract. Meanwhile they have a massive need right now and for the future in that secondary.

I see the commitment to Rudolph more than I see any pressure from this trade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't see an uptick for JuJu.  Him and Ben are clicking and he looks for him often.  Vance and Washington will get more targets than they did under Ben.  I'd downgrade JuJu for sure, but only slightly.
Washington had more targets from Ben on Sunday than he did from Mason.  Mason targeted him 1 time in 19 attempts.  Ben targeted Washington 2 times in 15 attempts.  I'm not sold on Washington being anything more than a preseason all star.  Mason will go through his progressions and throw to who is open on his reads, Juju should do great with him on deep and underneath routes.

Rudolph was one of my favorite qb's of that draft and thought he should have been getting more buzz during the draft process.   As a Bengals fan, I really wanted us to take him, and to my dismay, not only did they not end up with him, but he went to division foes the Steelers (I think there were a few fellow Bengal fans liking him on a board I frequent).   I won't be surprised one bit if he ends up doing well.   I thought he was raw coming into the league, but with some very intriguing skills.  

Rudolph was one of my favorite qb's of that draft and thought he should have been getting more buzz during the draft process.   As a Bengals fan, I really wanted us to take him, and to my dismay, not only did they not end up with him, but he went to division foes the Steelers (I think there were a few fellow Bengal fans liking him on a board I frequent).   I won't be surprised one bit if he ends up doing well.   I thought he was raw coming into the league, but with some very intriguing skills.  
I'm interested to see how he does. He does have good downfield accuracy. 

I'm cutting Winston for him this week as my QB2, the upside is there and nobody has much film of this guy in a Steelers uniform, in a couple weeks the Steelers might be one of those teams in some 30-27 shootouts after they get this kid going.  

Ben is under contract thru 2020/2021? I thought I saw 2 yrs/$68 Million on his contract, lots of it were forked over in 2019 and I think Pittsburgh no matter what will try to being Ben back at least to start 2020 but now they get to baptize this kid in 2019 and in a year or two they will do what they always do and make losing franchises look foolish. 

Pittsburgh is not anywhere close to Miami, Jets, Lions, Bengals in terms of front office debacles...they are well run and you have to give them at least the opportunity to play out their hand, it will be interesting. 

As a Phinsfan I'm not going to lie, it seems like a great move taking the Steelers 1st round pick with Ben going out but at the same time the Steelers have proven again and again they know what they are doing mostly where Miami cannot be trusted that they always get the upper hand in any transaction they engage in. 

I'm rooting for Mason up to a point 😉

Football City USA

I'm sure some of you remember the articles about all the NFL players coming from Rock Hill, SC. He played at my high school, Northwestern, so I have followed him very closely. He scored EIGHTY total TDs his senior year there.  Even though I'm a Cowboys fan, I'm definitely cheering for him to do well. He comes from a great family. I'll let everyone else comment on his abilities, as I'm definitely biased.

Here's a short list of the most recent successful NFL players from Rock Hill....

Jadeveon Clowney, Stephon Gilmore, Cordarrelle Patterson, Jonathan Joseph, Jeff Burris, Phillip Adams, Chris Hope...and hopefully now Mason Rudolph

Do you guys think he has long term top 10 or top 5 upside?  Trying to figure out if I should make a faab play, and for start 1 qb leagues if top 10 is not projectable then the answer is no for me.

Dang. Just cut Washington this Sunday for Agholor. Yes, I'm the one percent that started him. 

Still regretting cutting Washington over another player. Rudolph and him was a preseason and collegiate thing, right? 

As for the QB, I don't know enough to comment. Good luck. 

Do you guys think he has long term top 10 or top 5 upside?  Trying to figure out if I should make a faab play, and for start 1 qb leagues if top 10 is not projectable then the answer is no for me.
I'm kind of wondering this myself, and it goes along with cloppbeast's post above. What are you thinking about this guy dynasty-wise? He's probably on waivers in quite a few leagues.

Mason Rudolph completed 14-of-27 passes for 174 yards, two touchdowns, and one interception in the Steelers' Week 3 loss to the 49ers.

Rudolph's stat line was aided by a 76-yard touchdown to JuJu Smith-Schuster, who did most of the work by running down the sideline to find the end zone. If not for that score and if not for the 49ers' five turnovers, the Steelers' offense could have looked a lot worse. Rudolph was pressured by an emerging 49ers' pass rush, but he should have an easier time next week in a home game against the Bengals. If Rudolph doesn't show more then, it will be closer to panic time.

Sep 22, 2019, 8:40 PM ET

I thought he looked nervous, so nervous. Even after the WRs made a couple plays, he still looked nervous. That might have been your mulligan you had to take. 

Was he ever nervous in college? The cerebral part of his game won't show til he gets rid of those nerves.

I thought he looked nervous, so nervous. Even after the WRs made a couple plays, he still looked nervous. That might have been your mulligan you had to take. 

Was he ever nervous in college? The cerebral part of his game won't show til he gets rid of those nerves.
Yeah I saw that as well.  Opposite of Daniel Jones who looked cool as a cucumber.  It was his first start so plenty of time to scrap those jitters away.

Don't forget how good the 49ers defense has looked the first three games. They're talking about Ramsey to make them fully legit. 

Mason showed enough in the 2nd half where I'm willing to withhold judgment.  It was his first game as a starter.  He's human and it's completely natural that he would have jitters.  How he responds from that is more critical.  I expect a great game Monday night in front of a jacked up crowd.  

rockaction said:
Don't forget how good the 49ers defense has looked the first three games. They're talking about Ramsey to make them fully legit. 
Isn't their secondary all first and second round guys? I could swear I read Lynch building them that way. 

Rudolph will play the year. There's no other viable option really and they gotta know all they can about him.

It'd be nice for him to calm down and be himself his second week but a MNF game is a tough ask. 

Many QBs were awful their rookie year with Eli probably being the most infamous.

I bet he figures it out and don't figure a whole year to calm down, but maybe a few weeks. There's no patience in this thread though

Users who are viewing this thread