What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How do you deal with rabbits in your backyard? (1 Viewer)

We have an indoor/outdoor cat that takes care of our yard and all our neighbors.  She's heading into her busy season right now, clearing out all those nests that pop up this time of year.  The downside is scooping up the headless carcasses she leaves by the back door every night.  That and the unsettling noise a rabbit makes when a cat is toying with it. Sometimes I have to shut a window or two when watching tv in the evenings.

We have an indoor/outdoor cat that takes care of our yard and all our neighbors.  She's heading into her busy season right now, clearing out all those nests that pop up this time of year.  The downside is scooping up the headless carcasses she leaves by the back door every night.  That and the unsettling noise a rabbit makes when a cat is toying with it. Sometimes I have to shut a window or two when watching tv in the evenings.
Ewww...

And I'm not joking.  

Or, if the lawnmower thing doesn't work out try this:

It is a little-known fact that common field rabbits are highly sensitive to urea and creatinine, two significant components found in human urine.

My great-grandfather employed this strategy for years and it seemed to work well. Just be sure to soak the plants, nearby ground, and the fruit.

It is a little-known fact that common field rabbits are highly sensitive to urea and creatinine, two significant components found in human urine.

My great-grandfather employed this strategy for years and it seemed to work well. Just be sure to soak the plants, nearby ground, and the fruit.
Eww!

I have a three foot chicken wire fence around our garden.  I put it below the soil so they couldn't dig either.  Never had an issue and we have tons of rabbits.

Sounds exciting.  Please get this on film.

I have a neighbor that does this. He's got two boys, and the three of them douse the garden and other parts of their backyard regularly to keep various varmints away.

My dog does the job for us, at least for the full grown ones.  The back yard has a fence the rabbits can easily get through, but I think it slows down their exit just enough for her to catch them. Unlike the squirrels she occasionally gets, though, she ends up eating most of the rabbit if I don't clear it out of the yard quickly enough.  Nothing like finding half a rabbit in your yard.  

And yeah, she'll be out at night while we're watching tv and I'll wonder why it sounded like someone just let a squealing balloon go outside.  Oh, right...

Lots of good suggestions, Coyote Urine will keep everything out.  You should be able to get a bottle off of Amazon for less than $20

My dog does the job for us, at least for the full grown ones.  The back yard has a fence the rabbits can easily get through, but I think it slows down their exit just enough for her to catch them. Unlike the squirrels she occasionally gets, though, she ends up eating most of the rabbit if I don't clear it out of the yard quickly enough.  Nothing like finding half a rabbit in your yard.  

And yeah, she'll be out at night while we're watching tv and I'll wonder why it sounded like someone just let a squealing balloon go outside.  Oh, right...
:thumbup:

In our case we have a min-pin that thinks she is 80 lbs, not 8 lbs.  It's rather strange watching a dog chase down and murder a rabbit that is sometimes bigger than them.  We have a larger 60 lb dog that just watches when it happens.  I like to think he'd help his buddy out if she ever ran into a rabbit that realized the attacker was actually smaller than them though..

Lots of good suggestions, Coyote Urine will keep everything out.  You should be able to get a bottle off of Amazon for less than $20
as an added bonus, you can dab a little behind your ears before you go out for the evening. the ladies can't resist a man who's 'on the prowl'.

My son named ours... it lives under the decorative retaining wall.  My lab knows it's there but has never caught it, my mastiff is clueless.

The record for my cat was 7 in two days.  He always piled them in the same place.   A few more he tried bringing into the house alive, along with live birds and bats. 
Did your cat take the heads off?  I don't know why ours does that. She just leaves the headless bodies by our back door.  Friends say its just some weird primal thing in the cat's dna to remove the head of its conquest.  She takes heads from the rabbits, birds, rats/mice - just about everything she kills.

Acme Corporation should have a catalog of products. Most are made for large birds, but they should also work for rabbits.

Last edited by a moderator:
WhatDoIKnow said:
Yep, almost all of them.  I watched him do it once.  I'm not sure about the primal thing.  I thinks it's because bunny brains are delicious to cats.
Meanwhile, it's always the bottom half that my dog eats first.  

Maybe she's working together with the area cats.

jhib said:

I think I posted this before, but maybe 5-6 years ago I'm grilling out back.  I'm inside the house with the back door open and both of our labs are outside.  I hear that unforgettable rabbit scream, so I go outside to see what's going on.  Just as I look out, our chocolate lab is throwing a baby rabbit down like a friggin' coyote; whole thing down the hatch.  I stood there :shock:  as the yellow lab is digging through the nest they found.  Babies are scattered everywhere - the chocolate finished his snack and starts chasing another one just as my wife comes outside.  She scolds the dogs and the rabbits get out through the fence.  

As we're staring at the babies panting on the other side of the fence, my wife is recanting how horrible that was.  I said - I don't want to hear your whining about rabbits eating everything out of your vegetable garden this summer when those suckers grow up.

I still can't believe he ate that thing like that.  :lol:  

Supposedly works well for Pot plants too to keep the bugs away.

Users who are viewing this thread