What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR D.J. Chark, CAR (2 Viewers)

Chark’s physical measurements are 95th percentile type stuff but his role in that LSU offense was pretty small even relative to how bad the LSU offense was then which made him somewhat of a suspect prospect. Lamb is an all around top notch pro prospect. I probably give the slight edge to Chark because he’s already shown it in the NFL but being 3 years younger and attached to Dak makes it a really hard call.
And he's probably still fighting Les Miles's curse to this day, really. All I saw was a top-flight guy last year whose metrics backed it up. Lamb is still he of the 4.5, so a 4.34 to me...

any day. And he plays at that speed.  

IHEARTFF said:
Would you rather have Chark or Lamb (1.6)?
I hate Lamb's spot and I do like but don't love Chark. I would pick Lamb if for no other reason that I am confident I could find a robust market to flip him. 

I hate Lamb's spot and I do like but don't love Chark. I would pick Lamb if for no other reason that I am confident I could find a robust market to flip him. 
Rookie WR rarely dominate so it's kind of moot.  If he's looking that good they'll make room for him next year.  The best players play.

New Jaguars OC Jay Gruden plans to feature D.J. Chark all over the formation, including the slot. 

It is standard summer coachspeak. This might not necessarily mean anything different for Chark, who ran 24 percent of his routes out of the slot last season. Regardless of what Gruden says, he will be a big upgrade as a schemer for Chark. The Jags featured some of the league's least-imaginative play-calling in 2019.  

SOURCE: Hays Carlyon on Twitter 

May 26, 2020, 1:55 PM ET

There's no WR in this draft I have ranked higher than Chark. I do have the top 2 RB in this draft ranked higher. So basically if Chark was in this draft with what he did last year he'd be the 1.03 pick for me. 

He's certainly in that ballpark. I have started to warm up to him. But I am a believer in Laviska and think he could challenge for the 1a spot sooner rather than later. This is a big year for Chark to claim alpha status. 

He's certainly in that ballpark. I have started to warm up to him. But I am a believer in Laviska and think he could challenge for the 1a spot sooner rather than later. This is a big year for Chark to claim alpha status. 
I agree about Laviska. If he can prove to stay healthy he has a skill set set that has a lot of upside.

Chark is a 4.34 guy with hands and good route running. I don't think he's going anywhere in the pecking order just yet, especially given the conditions the rookies are walking into. He does have a walk year in 2021, though, so there's that.  

Laviska Shenault would have to be elite in creating and vision to make up for his meh athletic traits. I'm not saying it can't happen but don't see him pushing Chark out of the way. 

Chark is a 4.34 guy with hands and good route running. I don't think he's going anywhere in the pecking order just yet, especially given the conditions the rookies are walking into. He does have a walk year in 2021, though, so there's that.  
Thier WR core was one of the worst in the league. It was so bad they were throwing to Fournette infinite. Chark had a hell of a year and certainly is a leg up on everyone. But he isn't a lock to be the alpha by any means. He needs to take that next step and show he can do it again for a full year. Those footsteps.....that's Laviska. Too many are writing him off without realizing how talented he is. He has as high a ceiling as anyone in this draft. 

I do have some skepticism on Chark's inconsistency down the stretch BUT he has a glowing athleticism-skills repertoire and I am not a Laviska fan at all

So for me I am trying to buy in right now on a guy who has a very real shot to be Trevor Lawrence's future WR1 before he gets priced like it

Last edited by a moderator:
KChusker said:
I do have some skepticism on Chark's inconsistency down the stretch BUT he has a glowing athleticism-skills repertoire and I am not a Laviska fan at all. So for me I am trying to buy in right now on a guy who has a very real shot to be Trevor Lawrence's future WR1 before he gets priced like it
Chark had a tweaked ankle down the stretch which might be responsible for his inconsistency at that time.

Thier WR core was one of the worst in the league. It was so bad they were throwing to Fournette infinite. Chark had a hell of a year and certainly is a leg up on everyone. But he isn't a lock to be the alpha by any means. He needs to take that next step and show he can do it again for a full year. Those footsteps.....that's Laviska. Too many are writing him off without realizing how talented he is. He has as high a ceiling as anyone in this draft. 
Agree. Health is a concern, but he is a guy who can have a Deebo type rookie year.

Jacksonville is one of those offenses that could surprise this season. They have a lot of underrated parts. QB/RB/WR are all underrated imo. They need their OL to stay healthy. Their new OC Jay Gruden has had some successful offenses in the past. 

I see a scenario where they could come out of nowhere......

Jacksonville is one of those offenses that could surprise this season. They have a lot of underrated parts. QB/RB/WR are all underrated imo. They need their OL to stay healthy. Their new OC Jay Gruden has had some successful offenses in the past. 

And their defense should be pretty terrible too so they may be passing more in the second half of games. Another positive for Chark.

For Chark's long term outlook though? Unless Minshew goes full Romo, it might be better for the Jags to suck enough to get number 1 throw a lot in garbage time, and take Lawrence.

I Minshew as a QB and as a person but any 6th round QB has a massive climb--even more so when the roster is almost intentionally scrapped of talent, and I am still skeptical of his ceiling from a volume perspective (as it relates to Chark)

For Chark's long term outlook though? Unless Minshew goes full Romo, it might be better for the Jags to suck enough to get number 1 throw a lot in garbage time, and take Lawrence.

I Minshew as a QB and as a person but any 6th round QB has a massive climb--even more so when the roster is almost intentionally scrapped of talent, and I am still skeptical of his ceiling from a volume perspective (as it relates to Chark)
This is why they are such a bad position IMO. Gardner and the rest of the offense are talented enough to win enough games to keep them away from that top pick but not good enough to get to the playoffs. Football purgatory per se... 

This is why they are such a bad position IMO. Gardner and the rest of the offense are talented enough to win enough games to keep them away from that top pick but not good enough to get to the playoffs. Football purgatory per se... 
I think their defense is going to be so bad this year it's going to be very tough to win games even if the offense can have some games where they can put up some points.

We'll have to see how good Minshew is. I like both the picks they made in the 1st round. Even though I wish they would have taken OL at 1.09.......C.J. Henderson is the best CB prospect in this draft so at least they didn't screw up and take Ruggs or something else dumb. 

Chark averaged 8.6 targets the last 8 games he played last year. That prorated out gets him 138 targets this year. He has a better connection with Minshew than he did with Foles. He's still developing and should be better this year. I see no reason for this not to continue. If he sees that same target share he should hit 84-1200. He also lead all receivers 15 redzone targets. No reason for that not to continue. TDs are notoriously hard to predict but 5-10 TDs seems like a good range. 

84-1200-7 or 248 points in PPR. That's top 10 WR numbers. With him still get better and possibly playing with an ascending QB. 

Chark is in a pretty good situation.  The team should be trailing all the time and he is the obvious number one target. 

I also really like him this year. 

Chark averaged 8.6 targets the last 8 games he played last year. That prorated out gets him 138 targets this year. He has a better connection with Minshew than he did with Foles. He's still developing and should be better this year. I see no reason for this not to continue. If he sees that same target share he should hit 84-1200. He also lead all receivers 15 redzone targets. No reason for that not to continue. TDs are notoriously hard to predict but 5-10 TDs seems like a good range. 

84-1200-7 or 248 points in PPR. That's top 10 WR numbers. With him still get better and possibly playing with an ascending QB. 
That's why I traded for him in dynasty. I'm looking at him as a potential WR1. With he, McLaurin, and Godwin, I'm happy about the future for my top three. All three could be WR1s.  

I would call that an optimistic view. I think Chark regresses a little this year. He really did last year after the first 5 games. I think teams were less caught off guard by him, and began treating as the #1 WR, and his production suffered for it, even though his targets didn't. Chark had only 3 TD's and 1 100 yard game after week 5, while also having 6 games with fewer than 10 PPR points.

I'm not sold on Chark as a #1 WR level talent. I think Sheanult is a long term threat, and I think there could be fewer targets this year as well, especially with a new OC.

I'll say 65-900-7 is my prediction for 2020.

Chark averaged 8.6 targets the last 8 games he played last year.
As a Chark owner, last season felt like a tale of two very different halves to me. That's why I'm cautious about him this year. The first half of the season was amazing (some would say overachieving), while in the second half he only had one good FF game (week 11). His targets roughly remained the same in the second half, but his fantasy production dropped considerably. I just don't see him being a fantasy WR1 this season, and I think he's being drafted correctly by most people - somewhere around the 24th WR off the board.

he had two great games in the first half and one in the second half. there wasn't a regression, he was actually quite consistent. I actually thought there was a regression too, but i think that was mostly because his TD numbers pretty much dried up after the first half. Okay, maybe you can call that a regression, but is that on him? I haven't looked up his red zone targets, but IIRC he really didn't get many looks. I believe Westbrook did and maybe even Conley. Methinks it would be a grave mistake to shy away from this kid because of his second half numbers from last year, there were too many factors not his fault. All in on the Chark train.

he had two great games in the first half and one in the second half. there wasn't a regression, he was actually quite consistent. I actually thought there was a regression too, but i think that was mostly because his TD numbers pretty much dried up after the first half. Okay, maybe you can call that a regression, but is that on him? I haven't looked up his red zone targets, but IIRC he really didn't get many looks. I believe Westbrook did and maybe even Conley. Methinks it would be a grave mistake to shy away from this kid because of his second half numbers from last year, there were too many factors not his fault. All in on the Chark train.
15 redzone targets led all receivers. 

15 redzone targets led all receivers. 
PFF ran numbers and found that there is a statistically significant correlation in red zone looks from one year to another. In other words, guys that see lots of red zone looks see consistently more year in and year out. On the other hand, guys that see less red zone looks also see less consistently year to year. Julio Jones ain't no fluke, they say. 

PFF ran numbers and found that there is a statistically significant correlation in red zone looks from one year to another. In other words, guys that see lots of red zone looks see consistently more year in and year out. On the other hand, guys that see less red zone looks also see less consistently year to year. Julio Jones ain't no fluke, they say. 
Fire in the hole! It's blast off time. 

QB/WR connections mean something too. That second half had 3-4 games with Foles in.

Charky likey Minshewy better.

I love him this year. His ADP is entirely based on the fantasy draft community having whiffed on him during the 2018 draft. He is a 23 year old, 2nd round pick with a 73/1000/8 season on his resume. Oh and he's 6'3" 200 pounds and runs a 4.34 with a 40 inch vertical. He looks like a great value in the late 4th- early 5th round. 

He suffered a high ankle sprain late in the year too, against the Chargers and had a couple duds upon his return. Likely played while still injured some.

His numbers through 13 games were: 67/956/8 which is a 16 game pace of 82/1177/10. Got hurt late against the Chargers week 14, missed a week and then didn’t do much the last 2 games, again likely injured still.

Milkman said:
Fire in the hole! It's blast off time. 

QB/WR connections mean something too. That second half had 3-4 games with Foles in.

Charky likey Minshewy better.
Minshew faded in the 2nd half of the year as well. 

Nothing to see guys. Nothing to see. Keep it moving. He was just running hot last year. No way he could improve from last year. Matter of fact he's taking a step back this year. At 23 years old you can see the skills starting to slip. 

Users who are viewing this thread