What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

******Official SCOTUS Thread****** (5 Viewers)

And this is the problem with the BS that the GOP pulled with the seat while Obama was President.  Legitimizing this argument is dangerous and unconstitutional.
GOP: "We're not even going to consider a vote on a Supreme Court nominee in an election year."

Dems: "You can't do that! You just made up that rule!"

GOP: "Too bad."

Dems: "We're going to do the same thing to you that you did to us."

GOP: "You can't do that. You already said it was wrong."

Dems: "Aw shucks, you're right."

I believe in taking the high road, but, let's face it, the low road has led to victory more often lately.

:yes:

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 7m7 minutes ago

**** Durbin:

"With so much at stake for the people of our country, the U.S. Senate must be consistent and consider the President’s nominee once the new Congress is seated in January."
Obama nominated Kagan summer of 2010, and she joined the Supreme Court in August, so there is some precedent for mid-terms.

:yes:

Kyle Griffin‏Verified account @kylegriffin1 7m7 minutes ago

**** Durbin:

"With so much at stake for the people of our country, the U.S. Senate must be consistent and consider the President’s nominee once the new Congress is seated in January."
Yes, because McConnell obviously blocked Garland due to a deeply-held philosophical position regarding the intersection of judicial review and democratic participation, and not all out of political opportunism.  I'm sure he'll be moved by your calls for consistency.

(Of course, one could make a similar point about Durbin here).

GOP: "We're not even going to consider a vote on a Supreme Court nominee in an election year."

Dems: "You can't do that! You just made up that rule!"

GOP: "Too bad."

Dems: "We're going to do the same thing to you that you did to us."

GOP: "You can't do that. You already said it was wrong."

Dems: "Aw shucks, you're right."

I believe in taking the high road, but, let's face it, the low road has led to victory more often lately.
Exactly how this will happen.  The Democrats get played by McConnell time after time

All my life I've been a moderate.  But I agree -- I want to see fighting dirty on the same horrible Grover Nordquest / Mitch McConnell level for the next 20 years.  Anything to stop them. 
It's cyclical.  We seem to forget that not so long ago the Democrats controlled Congress for 40 years.  Arguments of gerrymandering aren't new, just different teams.  As is everything else.  The sophistication of the targeting of the message or policy to get the end result may have changed - would be rather backwards if it hadn't in all this time - but the nature of the political system is the same.

"Fighting dirty" is the nature of American politics.  People need to embrace it instead of hate it.  

Obama nominated Kagan summer of 2010, and she joined the Supreme Court in August, so there is some precedent for mid-terms.
Well, yes and there was precedent for SCOTUS nominations during a Presidential election year (see Kennedy and other past election year nominations). However, the GOP refused to follow that precedent and if they are being at all consistent, then with control of the House and maybe the Senate on the line, they should wait until January when the new Congress is seated.

As a black man who is also gay, this makes me very uneasy. 

Im seriously considering dual Canadian citizenship. 

Doesn't help that I'm watching the handmaid's tale right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Democrats should tell Trump that if the nominee isn't Merrick Garland, their first point of business if they take over the Senate and the House will be to start impeachment proceedings against Clarence Thomas for lying during his confirmation hearing.

Whoever is in charge of this simulation we're all living in really needs to calm the #### down with all this.

i wonder if the abrupt retirement is health related and i hope that it is not take that to the bank brohans 

I hope everyone who is angry and worried right now channels their anger and worry into energy to fight for justice and progress instead of finger-pointing. We all know who the opponent is, and it’s not centrists or progressives or establishment Dems or Bernie Bros or any of that nonsense.

The Football Freak said:
I understand the difference, I’m just trying to look for hope. Is it reasonable to hope there is some obscure legislative trick to be used? Probably not, but that’s what I’m left with. 
No. 

I thought this was fairly well known and predicted would likely happen? I remember reading last winter that it was practically a done deal he was retiring after this session. I guess I’m just surprised at all the fainting couch posts....not just here, mind you. Maybe I dreamt it or something.

I’M CLAIRVOYANT.

I thought this was fairly well known and predicted would likely happen? I remember reading last winter that it was practically a done deal he was retiring after this session. I guess I’m just surprised at all the fainting couch posts....not just here, mind you. Maybe I dreamt it or something.

I’M CLAIRVOYANT.
It was pretty likely but I was hoping.

Gachi said:

Don’t worry Gachi . Things will continue in the right direction for you . No need for the sky is falling 

Annie is dead.  She was hit by a car while at a protest.  We're all screwed.
This seems like the perfect spot for a Ginger / Southpark / no soul / kind of joke.  But I have been known to drop what I thought was a hysterical reference into a conversation that was so 180 degrees away from anything having to do with the reference that a puppy was probably killed somewhere in New Jersey because of my comment.

TobiasFunke said:
I hope everyone who is angry and worried right now channels their anger and worry into energy to fight for justice and progress instead of finger-pointing. We all know who the opponent is, and it’s not centrists or progressives or establishment Dems or Bernie Bros or any of that nonsense.
Correct.  

The enemy is still the Red Sox, right?  It's still the Red Sox.

Gachi said:

As it should. The Trump Administration has already rolled back transgender rights made under Obama, plus seeing the baker win his case before SCOTUS in the cake discrimination case as a big victory. There is no reason there will not be further setbacks for LGBT people with Kennedy being replaced. In addition, all racial minorities will probably suffer from future court decisions

Ivan has been (gently) kidding me for my naive belief that abortion rights are rock solid so maybe we should ask the conservatives in here what legislation they hope this court will overturn. Abortion, gay marriage, voting rights? 

C'mon, looks like you can have anything you want now, what would you like?

Second post I’ve ever reported and the other was about 10 years ago
I get the impression that his post was satire about how everyone is starting to get a little crazy.  And that news like that would make people's head explode (rather than actually wanting an RGB injury). 

As it should. The Trump Administration has already rolled back transgender rights made under Obama, plus seeing the baker win his case before SCOTUS in the cake discrimination case as a big victory. There is no reason there will not be further setbacks for LGBT people with Kennedy being replaced. In addition, all racial minorities will probably suffer from future court decisions
Gay and trans are different. Hth.

Users who are viewing this thread