What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Classic Album Discussion Thread: The Kinks-Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Pt. 1 (1 Viewer)

I’m wondering if “It’s So Easy” is one of those you think should have been shaved off. Because I was astonished to learn, reading their Wiki page, that it was the first single off the album- a song I have never heard on the radio. 

I was also surprised to learn that “November Rain” had actually been recorded but left off the album, because after “Sweet Child O Mine” they didn’t want a second ballad. 
That's probably my 2nd least favorite on the album.  
You guys got your wish.  It's So Easy is currently grayed out on Spotify, presumably due to licensing issues with the estate of West Arkeen who co-wrote the song w/ Axl.  A few songs on Use Your Illusion are unstreamable as well.

Best song on the album: Mr. Brownstone. Jungle one of my least favorite on the album. Was so overplayed and they put in that lame Dirty Harry movie to boot.

Paradise City maybe my favorite MTV video ever. Still brings me back to high school.

Best song on the album: Mr. Brownstone. Jungle one of my least favorite on the album. Was so overplayed and they put in that lame Dirty Harry movie to boot.

Paradise City maybe my favorite MTV video ever. Still brings me back to high school.
Is that the amazing one with Jim Carrey?

We saw GnR open for The Cult on Sept 2, 1987, the same week Appetite entered the album charts at #182.  Few opening acts then or now leave much of an impression but GnR impressed me enough that I went out and bought the record a couple of days later.

Appetite is a great album in part because it's a great sounding album.  Producer Mike Clink was relatively unheralded at the time with only two previous production credits on his resume (albums by Triumph and Survivor).  The band was on fire at the time but Clink was able to capture the heat on record.

I have a minor quibble with this as it's not an AOR/radio album, but still a great album nonetheless. But my point sticks. This was never classic rock; it was nouveau metal.  

This is one of those "right place, right time" albums.  It was inherently less cheesy than most of the other hair metal and actually rocked without sounding contrived.  I probably would have liked them more had they had a different, and better, singer, but I get that Axl Rose is part of their appeal for many, so I am probably in the minority on that one. 
I think the bold defines it as well as anything. When GNR hit the scene, they were a bit different than the cookie cutter mold of hair metal that was dominating the music scene at the time, and that elevated them over the genre. Slash's guitar chops, of course, enhanced their credibility. Looking back though, I think  this album essentially remains revered on reputation alone rather than its own musical merits. Sounds strange, but I think Tesla was equally talented, but their working class nature and less compelling lead singer couldn't elevate them to the same stature as GNR.

It's also still amazing that Axl's vocal range somehow ranks as the widest in pop/rock history: https://www.concerthotels.com/worlds-greatest-vocal-ranges 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a minor quibble with this as it's not an AOR/radio album, but still a great album nonetheless. But my point sticks. This was never classic rock; it was nouveau metal.  
Prince was not classic rock either.  I think this thread has moved beyond "classic rock". The title says "classic album"

I’m wondering if “It’s So Easy” is one of those you think should have been shaved off. Because I was astonished to learn, reading their Wiki page, that it was the first single off the album- a song I have never heard on the radio. 
Yep.  Get rid of that one and about half of Side 2 and it is a better record. 

I think the bold defines it as well as anything. When GNR hit the scene, they were a bit different than the cookie cutter mold of hair metal that was dominating the music scene at the time, and that elevated them over the genre. Slash's guitar chops, of course, enhanced their credibility. Looking back though, I think  this album essentially remains revered on reputation alone rather than its own musical merits. Sounds strange, but I think Tesla was equally talented, but their working class nature and less compelling lead singer couldn't elevate them to the same stature as GNR.

It's also still amazing that Axl's vocal range somehow ranks as the widest in pop/rock history: https://www.concerthotels.com/worlds-greatest-vocal-ranges 
Regarding his voice, Paradise City is a great song musically, but his vocals literally ruin the song for me; they are like nails on the chalkboard. I still remember MTV's debut of the video. I had never heard the song, and when it started and then that big riff kicked in, I was like, damn, that is awesome.  And then he started singing...ugh.  He might have great range, but his natural singing voice ain't good. 

Now we are talking. WttJ is one of my all time favorite. Unlike what some have said, I don't think there is any filler here. They had several songs, some mentioned here already, but even more, that were cut and released later.  Sick a great collection of some they had been playing live for a while and gotten right before they were recorded so the album have a good rendition of the energy of hearing it live.  Just pure awesomeness.

I first got this in one of those columbia house subscription deals. I was getting into metal and picked a bunch of albums based purely on the cover. Knew nothing about it. Listened to it once and didn't like it. Then quite a while later WttJ video started playing all the time and I realized what a great thing I had waiting for me to rediscover.

Welcome to the Jungle is a perfect album opener.  That opening riff.  Then the howl.  Only other ones that immediately come to mind in the same ball park are Enter Sandman, Baba O'Riley, Thunder Road, and if Van Halen's Eruption really was track one like I thought it was until just now.

I'm not sure if I ever really cared for Sweet Child O Mine, but it has a place on the album.  I just wish it or Paradise City were the final track.  Get rid of Anything Goes, slide everything up, then decide which one's the closer.  Then you have a damn near perfect album.

Part of the live footage is from a Giants Stadium show, I was at (other half is from England). It was billed as "Three Generations of Heavy Metal" featuring GnR, Deep Purple and Aerosmith. One of the craziest crowds I have ever seen. Part of the stands were lit of fire during "Smoke on the Water" and when GnR opened the show - a lot of the crowd bum-rushed the food vendors on the floor and started throwing hot dogs and burgers into the stands.

Excellent observation. It was classic rock at the beginning, though.   
Yeah, I decided to widen the conversation; hope you don’t mind. There will still be classic rock, but also new wave, punk, soul, jazz, folk, any and all genres. If the album is considered great or classic I want to discuss it. Hopefully we’ll be at this for a while. 

Yeah, I decided to widen the conversation; hope you don’t mind. There will still be classic rock, but also new wave, punk, soul, jazz, folk, any and all genres. If the album is considered great or classic I want to discuss it. Hopefully we’ll be at this for a while. 
Would love to see us cover this one.

Looking forward to Deja Vu, Volunteers, Crime of the Century.  I like the albums which were strong all the way through. Sure thee may be better artists and more influential songs, but solid albums from start to finish on both sides are to be cherished.

Guns N Roses had the potential to be the Led Zeppelin of their generation if they could have managed to keep it together. While they are known as a pseudo-Heavy Metal band, their music shows a lot of range outside of just the hard rockers. Many would likely say they are over-rated but in many ways they were under-rated. They really changed the direction that music was heading in the late 80s and brought grit and a sense of bad-assery back to rock and roll that was missing for most of the 80s.

I'm one of the few people that actually like Chinese Democracy so maybe I have no credibility when it comes to this band - but they put out some great and ambitious music in their short time in the sun -  I saw them again as headliners at MSG (with Soundgarden opening up) in the 90s and they sure could put on a live show, when Axl cooperated, as well.

Would love to see us cover this one.
I love “Sitting in Limbo”. It’s on several of my playlists. Extremely influential album but I probably won’t cover it for now at least because I dount we’d get a lot of responses. Gotta stick with ones most people here have been exposed to and therefore will post about. 

I love “Sitting in Limbo”. It’s on several of my playlists. Extremely influential album but I probably won’t cover it for now at least because I dount we’d get a lot of responses. Gotta stick with ones most people here have been exposed to and therefore will post about. 
Makes sense - just making a pitch for one of my all-time favorites.

They really changed the direction that music was heading in the late 80s and brought grit and a sense of bad-assery back to rock and roll that was missing for most of the 80s.
This is an interesting take. From an outsiders POV (I admit I know little about metal) it seemed to me like GNR was at the end of something rather than at the beginning. Only a few years after this album the whole grunge thing started, changing the direction of hard rock. That has caused me, in retrospect, to almost think of Appetite as a last hurrah. 

This is an interesting take. From an outsiders POV (I admit I know little about metal) it seemed to me like GNR was at the end of something rather than at the beginning. Only a few years after this album the whole grunge thing started, changing the direction of hard rock. That has caused me, in retrospect, to almost think of Appetite as a last hurrah. 
Well it was Hair Metal that was really dominating the rock music scene at that point and lets face it, Hair Metal was basically pop music by guys with big hair and spandex suits. I think Guns N Roses turned music back to the darker, edgier and grittier realm it was in during the 70s. GnR opened the door for grunge to come in a kill Hair Metal imo. If they did not break up due to Axl being somewhat insane, they would have survived and thrived among the grunge band era.

Also as some one that was working in a record store at the time, Appetite was far from their last hurrah. Use Your Illusion I and II were huge and we were taking pre-orders weeks in advance for those two albums. If you have never listened to them, you may be surprised by the diversity and musicianship on them.

Well it was Hair Metal that was really dominating the rock music scene at that point and lets face it, Hair Metal was basically pop music by guys with big hair and spandex suits. I think Guns N Roses turned music back to the darker, edgier and grittier realm it was in during the 70s. GnR opened the door for grunge to come in a kill Hair Metal imo. If they did not break up due to Axl being somewhat insane, they would have survived and thrived among the grunge band era.

Also as some one that was working in a record store at the time, Appetite was far from their last hurrah. Use Your Illusion I and II were huge and we were taking pre-orders weeks in advance for those two albums. If you have never listened to them, you may be surprised by the diversity and musicianship on them.
I have listened to them, but it’s been a lot of years. I probably should again. I recall the cover of Live and Let Die. 

Welcome to the Jungle made it's debut in the summer of '87, I was in college, my older brother was in the Air Force and I remember him telling me about it.  He bought it (still has it) on vinyl and has it from the early release with the original album cover came out which was quickly changed, google it.  Being a teenager and in college, I used to set up my VCR to record MTV (MTV was to teenagers then was Youtube is now) but anyway, I "discovered" GNR one Sunday morning. I couldn't believe what I was listening to and, honest to God, I still remember walking to a record store and buying this on tape, new, which was a big deal for me because I bought everything used from the off campus record store.

The thing I still remember is being shocked at the language and disappointed.  I was shocked because I thought it was pretty awesome but disappointed because I thought "oh man, you can't play hardly any of this on the radio, these guys will never catch on."  But I still think, all these years later, that Appetite is still one of the best debut albums of all time.  It's such a solid piece of work, there's so much talent there and GNR made it look all too easy.

Ironically enough, today is the anniversary of the day in 1992 when Axl walked off the stage after 55 minutes into their set in Montreal Canada.  Metallica opened for GNR that concert and they were rightfully pissed at Axl for doing that.  If memory serves there was a bit of a riot and I think this was the beginning of the end of GNR.

Guns N Roses had the potential to be the Led Zeppelin of their generation if they could have managed to keep it together. While they are known as a pseudo-Heavy Metal band, their music shows a lot of range outside of just the hard rockers. Many would likely say they are over-rated but in many ways they were under-rated. They really changed the direction that music was heading in the late 80s and brought grit and a sense of bad-assery back to rock and roll that was missing for most of the 80s.

I'm one of the few people that actually like Chinese Democracy so maybe I have no credibility when it comes to this band - but they put out some great and ambitious music in their short time in the sun -  I saw them again as headliners at MSG (with Soundgarden opening up) in the 90s and they sure could put on a live show, when Axl cooperated, as well.
I saw them in San Diego on this tour, it was right after Use Your Illusion came out and right before they toured with Metallica.  Amazing show.  

Appetite and Use Your Illusion are great albums.  Haven't listened to Chinese Democracy but Lies and Spaghetti sucked.  Reportedly they are planning another album (according to an interview Slash did with Eddie Trunk).

As much as I liked GnR, Velvet Revolver was better to me.

Ironically enough, today is the anniversary of the day in 1992 when Axl walked off the stage after 55 minutes into their set in Montreal Canada.  Metallica opened for GNR that concert and they were rightfully pissed at Axl for doing that.  If memory serves there was a bit of a riot and I think this was the beginning of the end of GNR.
Isn't that when Hatfield got lit on fire?  

Isn't that when Hatfield got lit on fire?  
Here's a good article on what happened, wow, I forgot all about the details, what a mess!

Yes, so he was injured, GNR refused to go on early, they started two hours later and then less than an hour in Axl said he had a sore throat and walked off stage.  The bad part is GNR could have been the heroes, could have really turned that crappy situation into an opportunity but that wasn't their style back then.  They had a whole "F U" thing going on, I'm sure distorted by all the trappings of fame, fortune, sex, drugs, rock n' roll and what not all coming on so fast at such a young age.  Ah well.

I like some of Appetite for Destruction. I think they were a good rock band. I saw them live in '92 when I lived in Florida. They did a show with Metallica. GnR came on a little after 11 p.m.  I remember a lot of very wasted people being there. Women were taking off their shirts and bras, and throwing them towards the stage. There were people fist fighting. It kinda felt like I was at a redneck convention with live entertainment. 

Looking forward to Deja Vu, Volunteers, Crime of the Century.  I like the albums which were strong all the way through. Sure thee may be better artists and more influential songs, but solid albums from start to finish on both sides are to be cherished.
Love both of those.

No problem. Your thread, your rules. I'd advocate for Television's Marquee Moon if that's the case, though.  

Guns N Roses had the potential to be the Led Zeppelin of their generation if they could have managed to keep it together.
Here's the thing - without the chaos that came with them they aren't anything like they were in the first place.  When I hear the lyric 'it's better to burn out than fade away' in Hey Hey, My My this band is a perfect fit.  They were meant to both explode and quickly burn out.  If they don't then they don't have the impact that they did.

Users who are viewing this thread