What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Classic Album Discussion Thread: The Kinks-Lola Versus Powerman and the Moneygoround, Pt. 1 (1 Viewer)

Totally get what you're saying, but Kendrick and RTJ do not belong in the same stratosphere of music criticism that Cardi B inhabits. 

I purchased Miseducation for my then-seventeen year-old step niece, whom I adore, one Christmas a few years back. I figured it was important for her to hear. She already loved Lauryn Hill and was thrilled with the gift. 

She already had it, and it was an "of course" and "natch" moment, but sweet nonetheless.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally get what you're saying, but Kendrick and RTJ do not belong in the same stratosphere of music criticism that Cardi B inhabits. 
there's a reason i listed the 'best' first. gave them both a big listen because y'all see more in them and, y'know i'm a fat ol white man & all, but all i heard was a slightly more refined version of the wound-licking narcissism i've heard throughout a generation of what is supposed to be our rock&roll now.

there's a reason i listed the 'best' first. gave them both a big listen because y'all see more in them and, y'know i'm a fat ol white man & all, but all i heard was a slightly more refined version of the wound-licking narcissism i've heard throughout a generation of what is supposed to be our rock&roll now.
I don't necessarily disagree with you that there's a "wound licking narcissism" that is an undercurrent in most topical matters hip hop. That's an astute observation. It's done artfully, often, but if one is weary of that, then one is weary of it.  

I'm an emotional guy, so I don't mind it so much. 

I'm also a brutal narcissist.

Am I going to have to give this album a spin in the background to refresh my memory and review each track? 

That's kind of a Tim threat.  

Hip hop became dominant after my musical tastes had somewhat calcified. I don't enjoy or seek out hip hop - quite the opposite actually.
Yeah, I'm calcified now, so I get what you're saying about that, but I think I run younger than some of y'all and hip hop was ascendent while still an adolescent (no spring chicken, either, I).

Galileo said:
Yeah, I got nothing on Hill.  I don't know a single thing about this album
I check out that Woo Dop song on YT to see if it was one of those songs I knew by sound, just not by name.  Nope. And I hope I never hear it again.  That was a good reminder of why I avoid the genre like the plague. 

Decent album.  There's a few tracks still in rotation but I'll take a pass on Lauryn.  Lauryn Hill fans should listen to this.  She's straight up trash:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mQdAXEK5Zo
Hard pass on the link, but I appreciate your educational efforts. Not sure I want to link to what I think will be raw bigotry and ignorance. I do agree -- or want to posit -- that she embraces the sort of identity politics I would normally loathe; and that the acceptance of this identity has elevated this album into a critical stratosphere that it otherwise doesn't deserve. But this is an ambitious pop masterpiece, IMO, and like I said earlier, it's buoyed by a few ferocious tracks that make the album worthwhile to listen to (repeatedly, in my case).

Hill may be nuts and has been unable to sustain greatness, but is really one of the great musical talents of the past few decades.

the josh Gordon of music?

Hill may be nuts and has been unable to sustain greatness, but is really one of the great musical talents of the past few decades.

the josh Gordon of music?
She'll have to win a Grammy in 2018 cause Gordon is going to lead the league in receiving yards this year.  

BOLD! 

I acquired this mp3 folder hot off the presses back in college (likely from napster). MTV was still somewhat relevant as a music tastemaker and ‘Doo ***’ was on heavy rotation. I still love that song and also ‘Lost Ones’ as mentioned above. Other stunners are ‘Everything is Everything’ and ‘Every Ghetto, Every City’ - which echoes both Stevie’s 70’s clavinet-based funk and his subject matter.

However, like a lot of modern pop the album is definitely bloated with filler and unfortunately Lauryn hasn’t been able to replicate the success. 

I remember Lauryn Hill from the soap As The World Turns way before she hit it big as a singer. :bag:  

I’m also in the camp of recognizing the acclaim her album got, but just not my thing.

Hard pass on the link, but I appreciate your educational efforts. Not sure I want to link to what I think will be raw bigotry and ignorance. I do agree -- or want to posit -- that she embraces the sort of identity politics I would normally loathe; and that the acceptance of this identity has elevated this album into a critical stratosphere that it otherwise doesn't deserve. But this is an ambitious pop masterpiece, IMO, and like I said earlier, it's buoyed by a few ferocious tracks that make the album worthwhile to listen to (repeatedly, in my case).
I guess ignorance is bliss but I can't respect an artist who steals music and refuses to properly compensates their musicians.  Robert Glasper is the truth.  

wouldn't call it bigotry and ignorance if you watch the link.  not sure why you assume that.

dunno how to corroborate the guy's claims though.

wouldn't call it bigotry and ignorance if you watch the link.  not sure why you assume that.

dunno how to corroborate the guy's claims though.
I just figured that if it was a modern controversy, Occam's razor puts it squarely into identity politics, which was a terrible assumption on my end. I should have just watched the link and braced myself for a let-down.  

Hill's album is one of those that are more important than maybe the quality suggests. Her music is not my thing, but - other than Tapestry, Young, Gifted & Black, and Bad Girls - I can't think of another album by a female solo artist that had such critical, social, and public acclaim, This is when folks finally had to lower their flags and admit that hip-hop was THE dominant force in pop music.

Hill's album is one of those that are more important than maybe the quality suggests. Her music is not my thing, but - other than Tapestry, Young, Gifted & Black, and Bad Girls - I can't think of another album by a female solo artist that had such critical, social, and public acclaim, This is when folks finally had to lower their flags and admit that hip-hop was THE dominant force in pop music.
Yeah, the whole album, front to back, has filler in it for sure, but it hit both cultural buttons and hit at the prefect time to make it a classic album.  

Neil Young & Crazy Horse- Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969)

Cinnamon Girl

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Round and Round (It Won’t Be Long) 

Down By the River

The Losing End (When You’re On)

Running Dry (Requiem for the Rockets) 

Cowgirl in the Sand

Neil Young has made several great albums and if this thread lasts long enough we’ll eventually get to all of them. But he never quite rocked as hard again as he did in this first collaboration with Crazy Horse. “Cinnamon Girl”, “Down By the River”, “Cowgirl in the Sand”, all classics, but my favorite is the title track. I think I’d like to go back home and take it easy. 

Even though he has some songs I like, Cinnamon Girl being one of them, I wouldn't call myself a Neil Young fan.  His stature is undeniable, regardless. 

Classic album.  Perfection with plenty of guitar riffs.   Neil is vastly underrated as a guitar player.  This is the album that got me into Neil Young.  I haven't been disappointed since.

I love this Neil Young album. Neil is an odd guy, but I like most of his catalog, and even the stuff I don't like, I understand what he's going for, and can respect it. He's a guy who always did what he wanted, and if people liked it, great. And if they didn't, oh well.  

I saw Neil two years ago with PoTR, and he played for almost 3 hours (at 70 years old), and really, really brought it (gotta love a 20-minute Cowgirl jam). There's just no quit in him. 

Neil Young & Crazy Horse- Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969)

Cinnamon Girl

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

Round and Round (It Won’t Be Long) 

Down By the River

The Losing End (When You’re On)

Running Dry (Requiem for the Rockets) 

Cowgirl in the Sand

Neil Young has made several great albums and if this thread lasts long enough we’ll eventually get to all of them. 
:(

Saw Neil at the Warfield in the early 90s, the 22 minutes Down by the River was Re highlight. Neil blew out my buddy Don’s eardrum and it was the last live show he ever attended without earplugs.

Everybody Knows is a terrific album, but as with all his albums, it’s got some down moments. Any one of his albums is hard to put up there with all timers, although his body of work is undeniable.

At the end of the day , when you have “Cowgirl in the Sand” and Down By The River in one spot, it deserves big time recognition.

Everybody Knows is a terrific album, but as with all his albums, it’s got some down moments. Any one of his albums is hard to put up there with all timers, although his body of work is undeniable.

At the end of the day , when you have “Cowgirl in the Sand” and Down By The River in one spot, it deserves big time recognition.
Yup. For me this is the one I go back to. The others, not at all

Five classics in 8 songs - pretty goot hit ratio

NY impressions:

- It has always bothered me that the best i can say about Rock's stompin', no bs, iconoclast is 'acoustic, si, electric, non'. I mean if there was rock guy who should be my kinda guy it's Neil Young but...............giant meh

- A girl broke up with me because of him, sorta. Early 80s, Manhattan, I'm trying to get on somewhere as a comedy writer after my SNL audition gives me some cred and doing a li'l frontin' for my old music mgmt co cuz they represent a new wave band w friends of mine in it (Pinhead - we got em 3 dates opening for The Clash) and i meet this Jersey gumba coke-dealer at a party who wants to help me make connections for some reason. Honestly, he got me more meetings (he might have been Bill Murray's model for Candy Slice's mgr cuz he was always giving drive-by bumps of tootski under the cover of his Members Only jacket) than my agent, but the guy's a freak and a regular at the infamous Plato's Retreat orgy club. He's always wanting me to go but that's not my tip and i just plain didn't want to ever have to end up taking a meeting with someone i met in a dogpile once.

Tommy comes to me and says Plato's is opening a branch in Cherry Hill, NJ (across the river from Philly) and i got no excuse. WTH, i'll try anything twice, so i go with a limo filled with his gumbas and record-label receptionists (the rules were that you had to bring at least as many gals as guys to keep it from gettin gay) and mounds of crystalline aphrodisiac. I'm kinda glad there are no stories to relate from the expedition - it's just as weird & sweaty & awkward as you think it might be - except that one of the secretary pool, a Jerseygirl with glitter makeup & meganails, is squishy in all the right places and has a face like a baby redhawk that i find monstrously cute. We end up hanging out a little - she even chose me as the one she snuck in to the hospital for pre-op freaky-deaky the prep nite before her nose job - until i crossed a line that couldn't be crossed with her.

You can imagine how well a girl like that would like Journey anyways, and this was expanded when Toni met them at her office. I got nothing against em and often like singing along. Problem is that i use my Neil Young voice when i do. I also have a penchant for changing bad lyrics on the fly and had already fashioned an alternate lyric for a Journey song, "Broken Arms". She's driving me back to the city from the Jersey shore when the song comes on the radio. I had already been forbidden to do NY-as-Steve-Perry, but we'd yet to be confronted with a song for which i had a parody. Like Seinfeld's "hellOOOOOO", it was too much to resist, so i start "aaaand so i commmme to uuuuu with broken arrrrrrrrrms" i suppose i'm lucky she brought me to the Hudson tubes instead pushing me out on the Turnpike but she didn't drive me into the city and that's the last i saw of Toni......

- My oft-mentioned best friend is a rock solid bass player with the personality of a cinder block who never got any good gigs. In his mid-60s now, he's settled into a band of other downtown Boston building mgrs & electricians called Loose Connection who practice weekly for their dozen or so annual paying gigs. They play a lot of cookouts/parties for fam & friends though and the highlight is that the lead guitarist/co-singer gets reallyreallyreally good (a supreme Gibson SG cruncher) when he gets blasted enough. Problem is that he idolizes Neil Young, sings more like him the drunker he gets and, eventually, everything they play - from Counting Crows to Billy Joel to Poco to Foo Fighters - comes out sounding like a 20-minute Crazy Horse jam. Remarkable....

wikkidpissah said:
- My oft-mentioned best friend is a rock solid bass player with the personality of a cinder block who never got any good gigs. In his mid-60s now, he's settled into a band of other downtown Boston building mgrs & electricians called Loose Connection who practice weekly for their dozen or so annual paying gigs. They play a lot of cookouts/parties for fam & friends though and the highlight is that the lead guitarist/co-singer gets reallyreallyreally good (a supreme Gibson SG cruncher) when he gets blasted enough. Problem is that he idolizes Neil Young, sings more like him the drunker he gets and, eventually, everything they play - from Counting Crows to Billy Joel to Poco to Foo Fighters - comes out sounding like a 20-minute Crazy Horse jam. Remarkable....
:lmao:

Violent Femmes (1983)

Blister In the Sun

Kiss Off

Please Do Not Go

Add It Up

Confessions

Prove My Love

Promise

To the Kill

Gone Daddy Gone

Good Feeling

Though this album came out in 1983, I first heard it around 1986- by then, “Blister In the Sun” got some radio play on alternative rock stations (though not much.) 

By 1988 or so, it was a college rock staple. There were few people I knew at my university that did not know this record- some by heart. I remember parties where a bunch of us gathered around and chanted the lyrics to “Blister”, “Gone Daddy Gone”, “Add It Up”, and “Good Feeling.” 

Is this one of the great albums of all time? I doubt it. But I knew lots of people back in the day that couldn’t get enough of it, so that makes it worth listing here IMO. 

Users who are viewing this thread