What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Antonio Callaway - WR Dolphins now (1 Viewer)

@FF Ninja pretty harsh assessment for a raw rookie trying to find his way.  He will learn and improve most likely and clearly the team is giving him a big opportunity.

What were you expecting exactly?

Godsbrother said:
I have 

I have Landry but am concerned to start him on a short week with a bum knee.   So it is up to Callaway or Sterling... currently I have Sterling in but am wavering...
Did you start Landry GB?

"Gotta review the tape".  OK Hue :lmao:   :lmao:  
Just giving Taylor some respect. If they had a capable K he'd have had them at 2-0 and he got knocked out of the game with a concussion.  Man deserves an ounce of professional respect.  I'm sure Hue would rather announce Baker as his new starter after he's had a chance to sit down privately and tell Tyrod officially.  I think he's at least deserved the right to not hear he's been benched on TV. Just a formality, it's going down.

Just giving Taylor some respect. If they had a capable K he'd have had them at 2-0 and he got knocked out of the game with a concussion.  Man deserves an ounce of professional respect.  I'm sure Hue would rather announce Baker as his new starter after he's had a chance to sit down privately and tell Tyrod officially.  I think he's at least deserved the right to not hear he's been benched on TV. Just a formality, it's going down.
Fair points.  Tyrod seems like a really good dude so not a knock on him. 

I just think Hue is ridiculously bad so that's where I am coming from.

@FF Ninja pretty harsh assessment for a raw rookie trying to find his way.  He will learn and improve most likely and clearly the team is giving him a big opportunity.

What were you expecting exactly?
Well, I was wrong about him running the incorrect route - that was Landry apparently. So it wasn't as bad as I thought watching the game last night, but I'm mainly just throwing out a little caution. Everyone wants to have a circle jerk about the 10 targets, so I figured I'd point out he came up small when he had a chance to make a big play for his team. If he had fought for that ball and won, I'd be excited, too. Instead he looked like just another deep threat who wants to body catch uncontested bombs. 

Every coach would say this.
Not exactly. He used the wrong words, look, nobody needs to look at those laser beam dimes again to know who your QB is. What he should have said was, 'we will discuss the QB situation later in the week, next question'.

Not exactly. He used the wrong words, look, nobody needs to look at those laser beam dimes again to know who your QB is. What he should have said was, 'we will discuss the QB situation later in the week, next question'.
He was shell shocked that the team won a game and it was Baker coming in to save the day.

FF Ninja said:
Were we watching the same game? This play was awful. Did Tyrod under throw him? Yes. It happens. Good players go up and get the ball or at least fight the DB off to avoid the INT (didn't get picked in this case, but it can happen). He tried to catch it in his lap. Tyrod even motioned to him after the play how she should have used his hands.

Later Tyrod tried to hit him in the back of the end zone... unfortunately Callaway ran the wrong route and was standing in front of the goal line.

Not a good game for the rook. If he doesn't learn to make a play on the ball and just expects them to all fall in his basket, he won't last. If raw athleticism was all it took to be an NFL receiver, Sammie Coates would be an all pro. Unfortunately, ball skills matter. And you gotta run the right routes.  :doh:
You must have not got him with your FAB $$....Im sorry.

Well, I was wrong about him running the incorrect route - that was Landry apparently. So it wasn't as bad as I thought watching the game last night, but I'm mainly just throwing out a little caution. Everyone wants to have a circle jerk about the 10 targets, so I figured I'd point out he came up small when he had a chance to make a big play for his team. If he had fought for that ball and won, I'd be excited, too. Instead he looked like just another deep threat who wants to body catch uncontested bombs. 
Totally fair to criticize a couple plays that he didn't perform in.  That's part of him being a rookie to me.  Not sure if you watched hard knocks but you can see Landry taking him aside and going over some routes with him saying he eased up in a couple areas that he could of been open for a little more.  The reason Callaway is a great add to your roster is because he was open pretty much at will when his route isn't an intricate one.  That's the thing though, is he needs to figure out how to get open more often in the short/intermediate rather than just deep.  There were a couple other plays called for him as a deep shot as well that Baker just didn't have time to let develop, you can see him pump it and then he gets flushed from the pocket (totally assuming that Callaway would of been the target here), but they're trying to use him a lot which is also a good sign.  

Totally fair to criticize a couple plays that he didn't perform in.  That's part of him being a rookie to me.  Not sure if you watched hard knocks but you can see Landry taking him aside and going over some routes with him saying he eased up in a couple areas that he could of been open for a little more.  The reason Callaway is a great add to your roster is because he was open pretty much at will when his route isn't an intricate one.  That's the thing though, is he needs to figure out how to get open more often in the short/intermediate rather than just deep.  There were a couple other plays called for him as a deep shot as well that Baker just didn't have time to let develop, you can see him pump it and then he gets flushed from the pocket (totally assuming that Callaway would of been the target here), but they're trying to use him a lot which is also a good sign.  
I hear ya, and no I didn't watch hard knocks. He's definitely a developmental player. I wouldn't want to start him in redraft. Didn't even put a faab bid in for him as I still like the players I'd have had to drop better than Callaway for this season. He's purely a dynasty watch for me, but I took Pettis over him whenever I had the option and still feel good about that. 

Dynasty owners don't overlook the knucklehead factor before you pay up too big to get him here.  This is absolutely the kind of guy that will throw away everything over something small and stupid, and he's not exactly on an organization adept at preventing that.

He looks good out there though, every bit the 1st round talent he would have been without the off the field issues.  FF Ninja makes some fair points about him fighting for the ball and honestly that's never really been his MO and I'm not sure it's something he'll ever really develop, but his ability to get open underneath I think makes him more than just a deep threat.

Thanks for the reply.  I agree with you on the fact that he could/should have come back and fought for that pass but as said above, i think those are the rookie growing pains we'll see.

I appreciate your point of view and just wanted to see if there was something else i was missing.

Bracie Smathers said:
How much do you trust TT against the Jet defense?

I'd sit him for 'precautionary' reasons this week but for dynasty he's a solid add.
That Jet defense is very-good.  

TT was killing him and everyone, enter Baker.

Just wait till they get 1st team reps and can game-plan some things.

He's 'startable' so-long as Baker is the starter.

Why are you in this thread? No need to roster him in your 8 team yahoo free league. 
Because I watched the game last night due to it being the only one on and was surprised this morning to see everyone getting excited about his play last night.

My leagues are actually quite deep. I'd ask why you are in this thread, but it's already quite obvious: confirmation bias. You're desperate so you want to hear Callaway is going to rescue your team. Good luck hyping him up. Too bad you don't get points for hype.

he's a good keeper value but dont think this year he'll be consistent.  he dropped a perfect thrown pass by baker and has had issues that in the past.

Because I watched the game last night due to it being the only one on and was surprised this morning to see everyone getting excited about his play last night.

My leagues are actually quite deep. I'd ask why you are in this thread, but it's already quite obvious: confirmation bias. You're desperate so you want to hear Callaway is going to rescue your team. Good luck hyping him up. Too bad you don't get points for hype.
I don't see how anyone can watch that game last night and NOT be impressed at how often he got open. Sure, he made a mistake here and there. He's a rookie. The potential is off the charts though.

Lots of personal back and forths over fantasy football.

I’m not hyping anything. I picked up Callaway in all 3 of my FFPC leagues for several reasons. I sat him in all 3 this week because TT was still starting.

ive got 4 really good WRs in all 3 leagues ahead of Callaway but when you get a chance to get in on these situations, you pad your roster.

heres why

1. Gordon’s exit.  Callaway is now in line for double digit targets every week, mark it down.

2. The only other guy getting more is maybe Landry. Landry will draw the #1 CB every week giving Callaway the better matchup and also likely getting more red zone looks.

3. Njoku can’t catch. Mayfield is smart, this isn’t lost on him. Baker will only target Njoku when he can throw him wide the F open. And just often enough to keep the safety honest.

4. Callaway is the HR hitter in this passing offense and Mr Mayfield likes to hit HRs. Check his targets at OU.

Last edited by a moderator:
The kid is football field fast.....look at how much separation he creates on his routes.  Doesn't seem to have the best hands but there is still more to see.

One thing about FF is that its all about opportunity.  The Browns have been looking his way often especially on the big play. 

With Mayfield coming in I thing Callaway's opportunities will increase and the chance of him making an impact this year increases tremendously.  WR3 with WR2 upside.  The browns will be throwing.  

Took him with my second 3rd round rookie pick.  Love seeing the targets and starting on an ascending (hopefully) offense. 

I think Josh Gordon's rookie year is a fair comp for what we might see out of Callaway. Unfortunately the last few years of Gordon is also a likely possible comp.

I don't see how anyone can watch that game last night and NOT be impressed at how often he got open. Sure, he made a mistake here and there. He's a rookie. The potential is off the charts though.
Like I said, there is no shortage of 5'11" 4.4 guys in the NFL.

Like I said, there is no shortage of 5'11" 4.4 guys in the NFL.
Right, but he's getting separation and targets, immediately. There's nothing speculative about it. He's their WR2 and could offer flex value this year.

Last week he caught a 47 yard bomb for a touchdown. He almost had a 70 yard bomb (underthrown) this week along with 10 targets.

If that doesn't excite you, that's fine. But I imagine if he was a 1st Round Pick, you'd be gushing over him right now. Also fun fact, the only other receiver who has been recorded running a faster route this year is Tyreek Hill. Combine that with everything else you just read.

With that said, his drop in the 4th Quarter was UGLY. But he's a rookie, I'll give him a mulligan on that one. Should he do something similar, I'll be less bullish on him.

I also recall Roddy White being terrible with drops as a young player. He's a rookie, each week you see him he should be a little better than the week before.

Right, but he's getting separation and targets, immediately. There's nothing speculative about it. He's their WR2 and could offer flex value this year.

Last week he caught a 47 yard bomb for a touchdown. He almost had a 70 yard bomb (underthrown) this week along with 10 targets.

If that doesn't excite you, that's fine. But I imagine if he was a 1st Round Pick, you'd be gushing over him right now. Also fun fact, the only other receiver who has been recorded running a faster route this year is Tyreek Hill. Combine that with everything else you just read.

With that said, his drop in the 4th Quarter was UGLY. But he's a rookie, I'll give him a mulligan on that one. Should he do something similar, I'll be less bullish on him.

I also recall Roddy White being terrible with drops as a young player. He's a rookie, each week you see him he should be a little better than the week before.
Are you talking about the one over his shoulder down the sidelines?  That was not a bad drop.  Tough catch adjusting over the opposite shoulder you're originally looking.  A play an NFL player should make more often than not, but it was some easy drop like we see all the time.

At the risk of meandering into AC territory, how would you value Calloway vs. Will Fuller?  Both WR2's (sort of, assuming Landry as a non-traditional WR1).  One with dumb-dumb risk, the other with injury risk?

Just wondering how you folks see these two compared to each other?

Hue is no rocket surgeon but I don't think he could be that dumb
You sir don't know the Hue like us CLE fans know the Hue :P Don't challenge him to a dumb contest.

The one thing I could see hurting Calloway's production going forward with Mayfield at the helm is, and this is going off a sample size of 2 quarters of play, Mayfield will throw to anybody so he's going to spread the love around. If he develops a rapport with Calloway that's one thing but Mayfield hasn't played with the starters yet so he doesn't have a rapport with anybody and going off of what I saw last night he loves everybody.

Again, minute sample size but I think having Mayfield chucking the rock is nothing but good for the WR corp. He will elevate the entire squad and with this kids speed, damn. Could be a fun season in CLE.

At the risk of meandering into AC territory, how would you value Calloway vs. Will Fuller?  Both WR2's (sort of, assuming Landry as a non-traditioanl WR1).  One with dumb-dumb risk, the other with injury risk?

Just wondering how you folks see these two compared to each other?
Pure talent: Callaway. QB: Callaway with Mayfield. Speed: Fuller by 0.1. Hands: Callaway. Screw up risk: Callaway. Routes: Unknown but my guess is Callaway.

You sir don't know the Hue like us CLE fans know the Hue :P Don't challenge him to a dumb contest.

The one thing I could see hurting Calloway's production going forward with Mayfield at the helm is, and this is going off a sample size of 2 quarters of play, Mayfield will throw to anybody so he's going to spread the love around. If he develops a rapport with Calloway that's one thing but Mayfield hasn't played with the starters yet so he doesn't have a rapport with anybody and going off of what I saw last night he loves everybody.

Again, minute sample size but I think having Mayfield chucking the rock is nothing but good for the WR corp. He will elevate the entire squad and with this kids speed, damn. Could be a fun season in CLE.
If you own Callaway, Higgins is a good insurance policy. I don't have the room for such a move in dynasty but if I did, I would buy it. He is showing some skills with Mayfield out there.

Are you talking about the one over his shoulder down the sidelines?  That was not a bad drop.  Tough catch adjusting over the opposite shoulder you're originally looking.  A play an NFL player should make more often than not, but it was some easy drop like we see all the time.
Yes, that's the one. It was a bad drop in the sense that he had it. He beat his man, he had the ball in his grasp and just can't reel it in.

I know it's a tough play. But like you said, these are NFL players and that was a big "NFL" moment.

Happy he caught a ball on the right sideline a few plays later. Thought Mayfield might have lost faith in him.

Baker formally announced as starter.  Its early but I think I like that matchup at Oakland enough to start Callaway over Agholor in wk 4.  Hoping for WR3 production ROS.

Users who are viewing this thread