What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: Tre’Quan Smith, WR NO (1 Viewer)

Meredith and Smith both benefit.  If you need WR depth pick up Smith now and stash.  I expect Smith to steadily climb the depth chart and be the WR2 by week 10.  Unfortunately I dropped him yesterday (I have WR depth) and I doubt I'll get him back this Sat.  But he is definitely a recommended add right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems I keep adding and dropping the same players week to week. Added Tre'Quan again and dropped Peyton Barber. (other obvious choices were Clement or Murray. Holding Murray because I just picked up Cook and he's now insurance.)

Think he is a good start this week?  How does Balt fare against speedy outside WRs?  Are they susceptible to the big play?  I’d imagine that jimmy Smith blankets michael thomas?

Think he is a good start this week?  How does Balt date against speedy outside WRs?  Are they susceptible to the big play?  I’d imagine that jimmy Smith blankets michael thomas?
The Ravens lead the league in sacks. I heard that 15 of their 26 sacks came during blitzes. Can Brees take advantage? They held Big Ben to 14 points.

Seems like a lot of mouths to feed but if he's on the field with Brees, he will produce.

Could be a nice WR3 / FLEX guy. Not sure he wins you a championship but he can definitely help you make a run, imo.

Smith looks to be a solid flex pickup ROS in PPR based on volume alone.

As aside from Thomas and Meredith, they don't have much to rely on -- Austin Carr is the only other WR they have, and he's a young UDFA who flashed his rookie preseason didn't make the cut with the Pats. While Carr is going to see the field, he has yet to prove his skills at this level.

Will be interested to how they might use Meredith differently, and who the Saints bring up from their PS or sign in FA (Rishard? Aiken?)

For BAL, I think Smith's a risky start. BAL has been flat balling out in the secondary covering receivers. They might be more susceptible up the middle, and can see Brees leveraging Watson and Kamara a lot this game to get quick looks over the middle and immediately post snap on sticks/pulls given that BAL can get a pass rush going.

BAL has been very strong in defending WR1s and receiving RBs.  Mediocre against WR3s and TEs.  Their defense has also benefited from playing what FO has as the 3rd easiest schedule on D to date.

I think Smith will have opportunity for greatness this week, but that game script will have a huge say in how he does. If it's a close game with both teams slowing things down with the run then he won't do well. After a mediocre outing by David Johnson and against a solid opponent I need good #s, so I'll be rolling him out over Hyde. Pretty much a high value lotto ticket. 

Dropped M Williams in 1 league for him, but hesitant to drop Crabtree or Fuller for him the other.  He will be on the bench until I see some consistency, hopefully will be a difference maker.

Robert Meachem...Devery Henderson...Ted Ginn...Tre'Quan Smith...at least for this year, IMHO...

...don't sleep on Cameron Meredith, I'm thinking. His outlook is demonstrably trending up, based on usage since he's been available to the Saints, including with Ingram back vs the Redskins. Due more or less to recency bias, I think it's easy for people to either overlook Meredith, or forget what a healthy Meredith brings to the table in terms of skill set/route tree, and how critical that piece is to the Saints offense we saw last year with Kamara/Ingram. There's trust developing between Meredith and Brees, and it's showing in relation to Thomas' workload/production, as well as in relation to what seems to be a disconnect between Brees/Watson thus far in Watson's return.

On the road, outside, on grass, vs an great overall defense that's certainly close to elite vs the pass, I think the outlook for this game is a tough mudder, and I'm not starting any Saints that aren't must-starts...but moving forward, depending on Roster construction, record, etc., I'd be just as likely to take Meredith's floor as I would Smith's ceiling, especially in PPR, and I'd think that floor would be a much more consistent result. Just MHO.

Debating dropping Christian Kirk for him. AZ looks terrible but I’d be worried about the number of mouths to feed in NO. 

For the record, Cameron Meredith was not targeted at all, though I'm sure his snap rate was over 50%. They also had an opponent with a tough secondary, but next week they face Minnesota so same deal.

For the record, Cameron Meredith was not targeted at all, though I'm sure his snap rate was over 50%. They also had an opponent with a tough secondary, but next week they face Minnesota so same deal.
I disagree. First off, Rhodes left the game with what looked like a bad ankle injury...he couldn't even put weight on it...secondaly, people have had their way with that Viking D...I expect a high scoring affair. 

Tre'Quan Smith played 52-of-71 snaps (73 percent) Week 7 against the Ravens.

Smith was always the most likely option to take over for Ted Ginn, and that is exactly what happened as Cameron Meredith was limited to just 18 snaps and zero targets. Smith only managed 44 yards on three catches in the tough matchup, but his rest-of-season outlook is strong. He needs to be rostered in all formats.
18/71 = 25% of the snaps. YIKES...

Week 7 snap count and targets out of 71 total snaps:

T. Smith 52 snaps 6 targets (1 redzone)

Meredith 18 snaps 0 targets

To put in perspective Kamara got 39 snaps.  They are playing Smith a ton and he should not be on waivers at all.  We have seen what #2s can do opposite elite receivers (Ridley, Boyd) this year.  He's trending towards a hybrid of Ginn + Meredith.  In this same game Watson got 6 targets.  That will NOT sustain.

To put in perspective Kamara got 39 snaps.  They are playing Smith a ton and he should not be on waivers at all.  We have seen what #2s can do opposite elite receivers (Ridley, Boyd) this year.  He's trending towards a hybrid of Ginn + Meredith.  In this same game Watson got 6 targets.  That will NOT sustain.
It’s possible he’s in lineups

come the fantasy playoffs 

It’s possible he’s in lineups

come the fantasy playoffs 
Let's look at the schedule:

Wk 8 @ Min - Rhodes carted off with ankle injury week 7.  Should be a shootout.

Wk 9 vs LAR - Shootout.

Wk 10 @ Cin - They got roasted by KC.  Shootout.

Wk 11 vs Phi - Mills and Darby getting burned all year.

Wk 12 vs Atl - Shootout.

Wk 13 @ Dal - Tough matchup.

Wk 14 @ TB - Shootout.

Wk 15 @ Car - Can turn into shootout.  Can turn into a Bal type of game script.

Wk 16 vs Pit - Shootout.

There's 7 games here where Vegas should be predicting o/u 50+.  STASH NOW.

Let's look at the schedule:

Wk 8 @ Min - Rhodes carted off with ankle injury week 7.  Should be a shootout.

Wk 9 vs LAR - Shootout.

Wk 10 @ Cin - They got roasted by KC.  Shootout.

Wk 11 vs Phi - Mills and Darby getting burned all year.

Wk 12 vs Atl - Shootout.

Wk 13 @ Dal - Tough matchup.

Wk 14 @ TB - Shootout.

Wk 15 @ Car - Can turn into shootout.  Can turn into a Bal type of game script.

Wk 16 vs Pit - Shootout.

There's 7 games here where Vegas should be predicting o/u 50+.  STASH NOW.
The game in Carolina is the only one I don't like. 

Somehow he was still on waivers in two small bench/10 team leagues.  Scooped him up in both and probably starting over the likes of DT/Chris Thompson/Agholor.  Just has too much upside each week with that snap count in a Drew Brees offense.

Dropped Jones Jr to pick Smith up and start him... easy high ceiling choice, I'm a double digit underdog with my top 3 picks all on bye.    

rickyg said:
Anyone starting him this week vs Minn?  And over who?
I am torn....I want to start him.  I believe in him.  I drafted him in a Keeper league for his long term value.  I matched him with Brees.  I can start 5 WR!  2 RB/3WR & 2 Flex in PPR

But Projections have him as my #6 WR behind OBJ, B Cooks, Sanders, Jo Brown & Will Fuller.  I just cannot pull the trigger.

His floor is too much to risk and his ceiling is comparable to Fuller, but with Keke out, Fuller will see more targets.  

I expect Kamara & Ingram EACH will see more targets than TreQuan Smith this week in Minn! 

Yep

One league keenan allen on bye...

Another calvin ridley on bye and over options like moncrief or marvin jones

Dropped Jones Jr to pick Smith up and start him... easy high ceiling choice, I'm a double digit underdog with my top 3 picks all on bye.    
I didn't drop Marvin (perhaps I should) yet, but I am starting Smith over Jones in a non-PPR with bonus for long TDs and/or going over 100yds rec.

I didn't drop Marvin (perhaps I should) yet, but I am starting Smith over Jones in a non-PPR with bonus for long TDs and/or going over 100yds rec.
I think the last two games are the trend for them going forward... more running/balance and less targets for the WR.  He hasn't sniffed my active roster, only has 4 targets in each of the last 2 games while Smith has 6 and 3...  Same or more opportunity in a more explosive offense made it easy decision for me.  YMMV.  

Starting him this week over:

Corey Davis (bye), Nyheim Hines (bye), Martavis, David Moore, Ronald Jones.  Not exactly a great cast to choose from, but here's to hoping.  

Picked him up for shiggles.  Not sure if I’ll gamble by subbing him in for Funchess vs. BAL this week.

Starting him this week over:

Corey Davis (bye), Nyheim Hines (bye), Martavis, David Moore, Ronald Jones.  Not exactly a great cast to choose from, but here's to hoping.  
You seem a little off. 

Corey Davis bye week 8- correct

Hines bye week 9- not on bye

Don't know if I have the guts to start him. My other starters are Hilton and Godwin, would any body sit Godwin for Smith?
I'm just pulling rabbits out of my head.  Not really struggling with the decision, but have to decide between the following in my two flex spots:  Funchess, Godwin, Gronk, Smith & Allison.  Currently going with Funchess and Godwin.

Decisions will be much easier in the future after losing Fuller.

I'm just pulling rabbits out of my head.  Not really struggling with the decision, but have to decide between the following in my two flex spots:  Funchess, Godwin, Gronk, Smith & Allison.  Currently going with Funchess and Godwin.

Decisions will be much easier in the future after losing Fuller.
No way I'd start him over Funchess. Guy is criminally undervalued. Very consistent wr2/3. Godwin maybe. 

Anyone starting him this week vs Minn?  And over who?
FWIW Xavier Rhodes is listed as questionable, so it is possible that he plays. If h plays he might not play the whole game, just part of it.

Holton Hill did a good job replacing Rhodes. Sam Darnold tried to pick on Hill right away and ended up throwing Hill an interception. Hill mostly played off coverage, but part of that is because the Vikings had a big lead by the time he came in the game.

When the Vikings played the Saints last season, Rhodes shadowed Thomas for a good chunk of the game. I am not expecting that to be an option this time around.

Hill was an undrafted free agent who draftniks had a 2nd or 3rd round grade on. He has some off the field issues as the reason why he wasn't drafted. Hill can play, Drew Brees orders of magnitude better than Sam Darnold though.

The Vikings are still strong in the secondary without Rhodes.

I am expecting Smith to draw Trae Waynes for the most part. Waynes has been playing well. 

I think Thomas gets more coverage from Hill and Rhodes health more related to him in my view than Smith.

Currently have him in over Marvin Jones and Tyler Lockett, but still trying to decide if I should go with Lockett.  Could also go with Freeman or Clement but those guys aren’t doing much these days.  Where for art thou Julio?

FWIW Xavier Rhodes is listed as questionable, so it is possible that he plays. If h plays he might not play the whole game, just part of it.

Holton Hill did a good job replacing Rhodes. Sam Darnold tried to pick on Hill right away and ended up throwing Hill an interception. Hill mostly played off coverage, but part of that is because the Vikings had a big lead by the time he came in the game.

When the Vikings played the Saints last season, Rhodes shadowed Thomas for a good chunk of the game. I am not expecting that to be an option this time around.

Hill was an undrafted free agent who draftniks had a 2nd or 3rd round grade on. He has some off the field issues as the reason why he wasn't drafted. Hill can play, Drew Brees orders of magnitude better than Sam Darnold though.

The Vikings are still strong in the secondary without Rhodes.

I am expecting Smith to draw Trae Waynes for the most part. Waynes has been playing well. 

I think Thomas gets more coverage from Hill and Rhodes health more related to him in my view than Smith.
If Rhodes plays, he is at max 70-80% and Sandejo is ruled out. How is this secondary strong? The Rams, another great offense, torched them a few weeks back. This should be a monster for the Saints passing attack.

If Rhodes plays, he is at max 70-80% and Sandejo is ruled out. How is this secondary strong? The Rams, another great offense, torched them a few weeks back. This should be a monster for the Saints passing attack.
The Rams were playing at home outside.  The Vikings are a different team at home.  In all sorts of strange ways.  

Users who are viewing this thread