What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: Tre’Quan Smith, WR NO (1 Viewer)

(Rotoworld) Courtland Sutton caught 2-of-6 targets for 18 yards and a touchdown in the Broncos' Week 5 loss to the Jets.

Analysis: Sutton caught an early eight-yard touchdown and drew another end-zone target later on, only to hobble off the field with a leg injury in the second half. Sutton's status for Week 6 against the Rams is unclear. His injury led to more playig time for DaeSean Hamilton, who caught three balls for 44 yards.

I posted in the game thread Ginn’s injury is an unknown knee injury. Mild knee tweaks are usually 2-4 weeks. May get a chance to plug him in the lineup another week. 

I posted in the game thread Ginn’s injury is an unknown knee injury. Mild knee tweaks are usually 2-4 weeks. May get a chance to plug him in the lineup another week. 
They know what they have in Smith. He will be hit or miss the rest of this year, but an emerging star in 2019. 

The Claymaker said:
Ginn sucks at pretty much all important WR things except being fast. 
He's been just fine with the Saints, good catch rate, clutch, rapport with Brees. Nothing wrong with Ginn that a good QB couldn't fix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ginn was fine with the Panthers other than he would sometimes have a case of the drops. 
Agreed.

I think what everyone should be looking at is more Ginn's contract details.

After this year, the Saints can cut him and only have 1mill dead cap in 2019. 

In 2020 Ginn is a free agent.

Tre'Quan will be a hot commodity after this year as long as he continues trending up.

I dropped him in a league last week because I wanted to get a different D than the Jags to play last week. Luckily people in my league hold on to their waiver claim order like it's gold. Or they just didn't notice. Was able to drop the D and pick him back up. Won't make that mistake again. 

I think for this year, you guys are overrating him a little. Yeah he got two TDs but that's on 3 passes thrown his way. The guy is good but between Kamara, Ingram, Thomas, and maybe even Ginn, he just too far down on the picking order for passes thrown his way. I don't know about you but I feel it rough to even think about starting a guy who can only see 2 or 3 passes thrown his way per game....just saying.

In a dynasty, it's a different story but for this year, he's a bench warmer at best in my opinion unless at least one or two of the players mentioned above get injured.

Sasgaard said:
I think for this year, you guys are overrating him a little. Yeah he got two TDs but that's on 3 passes thrown his way. The guy is good but between Kamara, Ingram, Thomas, and maybe even Ginn, he just too far down on the picking order for passes thrown his way. I don't know about you but I feel it rough to even think about starting a guy who can only see 2 or 3 passes thrown his way per game....just saying.

In a dynasty, it's a different story but for this year, he's a bench warmer at best in my opinion unless at least one or two of the players mentioned above get injured.
Well, fortunately for him, one of the above mentioned players is like 43 and already injured. ;)

But yeah, I agree with your assessment. I have him in dynasty and it would be pretty rough going to have him crack one of my flex spots, even with a Ginn injury IMO. 

As I said in the game thread I think Smith has  a short window here while Ginn is out to possibly take the Wr 2 Z position in the offense from him.

His play on Monday was certainly a step in that direction.

I actually think he is more valuable for redraft than dynasty right now while Ginn is out.

In dynasty you have to ask how long Brees is going to play. If it is 2 more seasons then great but if he retires after this season that would dramatically change his long term outlook.

As I said in the game thread I think Smith has  a short window here while Ginn is out to possibly take the Wr 2 Z position in the offense from him.

I actually think he is more valuable for redraft than dynasty right now while Ginn is out.

In dynasty you have to ask how long Brees is going to play. If it is 2 more seasons then great but if he retires after this season that would dramatically change his long term outlook.

That would be true if his owners considered him to be an average or less talent.  I believe he is more than that and will be valuable as his experience grows, even when there is a QB change.

That would be true if his owners considered him to be an average or less talent.  I believe he is more than that and will be valuable as his experience grows, even when there is a QB change.
He could be very good post Brees that's true. 

Whoever replaces Brees will be a downgrade though.

Good comment here but looks like the Saints are very high on Brees replacement. The kid looks good and if you look at his skills set, he's a mini-Brees. A bit bigger but very mobile and accurate. I think the Saints are doing the right thing by keeping him while Brees plays. Brees is a good mentor and teacher and the kid has some good weapons. I think he could be a stud once Brees retires assuming he stays in NO.

Good comment here but looks like the Saints are very high on Brees replacement. The kid looks good and if you look at his skills set, he's a mini-Brees. A bit bigger but very mobile and accurate. I think the Saints are doing the right thing by keeping him while Brees plays. Brees is a good mentor and teacher and the kid has some good weapons. I think he could be a stud once Brees retires assuming he stays in NO.
Are you talking about Teddy or Hill?

I'm not sure if the Saints have their starting QB post Brees right now or not.

Are you talking about Teddy or Hill?

I'm not sure if the Saints have their starting QB post Brees right now or not.
Definitely not talking about Bridgewater....Talking about Hill....he's 28 but only 2 years in. I think he will get groomed by Brees and could become really good in this offense once Brees is gone. I know, it's a big assumption and a bit of a stretch...but I like the guy.

Definitely not talking about Bridgewater....Talking about Hill....he's 28 but only 2 years in. I think he will get groomed by Brees and could become really good in this offense once Brees is gone. I know, it's a big assumption and a bit of a stretch...but I like the guy.
Interesting. I do not know much about Hill but they have been working him in to the offense. Usually with some wildcat and read option plays. Hill is a running QB.

Regardless of who it is you have to consider it a downgrade from HOF Brees. At least in regards to the receivers.

Interesting. I do not know much about Hill but they have been working him in to the offense. Usually with some wildcat and read option plays. Hill is a running QB.

Regardless of who it is you have to consider it a downgrade from HOF Brees. At least in regards to the receivers.
It may not be as large a step down with the new rules. Defenses are struggling mightily. Five years ago I would have agreed.

If Hill trows for 5000 yards in a season at some point I suppose?

Seem very unlikely to me despite how the league is neutering defenses ability to do anything to stop it.

As a Saints fan, I can tell you that Hill will not be Brees replacement.  He's a great asset to the roster as a gadget and special teams player.  Bridgewater will probably be that guy, and is a better QB.  Folks keep talking about Teddy going elsewhere, but I don't see it considering NO gave up a 3rd rounder for him.  The Saints don't have a 1st or 3rd next year, so I'm pretty sure Teddy was in their long term plans when they traded for him.  Hill isn't an NFL QB.

As a Saints fan, I can tell you that Hill will not be Brees replacement.  He's a great asset to the roster as a gadget and special teams player.  Bridgewater will probably be that guy, and is a better QB.  Folks keep talking about Teddy going elsewhere, but I don't see it considering NO gave up a 3rd rounder for him.  The Saints don't have a 1st or 3rd next year, so I'm pretty sure Teddy was in their long term plans when they traded for him.  Hill isn't an NFL QB.

I think this is well thought out and agree.

steelers1080 said:
I dropped him in a league last week because I wanted to get a different D than the Jags to play last week. Luckily people in my league hold on to their waiver claim order like it's gold. Or they just didn't notice. Was able to drop the D and pick him back up. Won't make that mistake again. 
fwiw, he cleared waivers last night in my league. he's still way below the radar for many, this isn't a league of slouches. imo people see the 3 for 3 stat and put that into high consideration over the 2 TD's and that seems like a smart decision for now. I've picked up and dropped him i think every week so far this season. have yet to decide if I want him back. I'm with may posters here that his value is tied directly to Ginn's absence for this season.

His value is mostly tied to Ginn. I'm hopeful that they realize he's got a lot more to offer at this point in their careers, and he gets a shot to keep improving. More realistic is his chance at a #2 role next year. And with Thomas and Kamara taking a ton of pressure off, he could be Will Fuller-esque, essentially 4-5 catches a week with a shot at a long TD every time he touches the ball. 

You really think Bridgewater is the solution? Really? Sorry but I can't agree to this. They grabbed him fir a shirt term solution in case brees gets hurt but no way Bridgewater is the long term replacement. At least I hope nit.

You really think Bridgewater is the solution? Really? Sorry but I can't agree to this. They grabbed him fir a shirt term solution in case brees gets hurt but no way Bridgewater is the long term replacement. At least I hope nit.
Absolutely!  Payton was in love with Teddy that particular draft, and he's been a pro bowl QB.  Why would they trade a 3rd rounder for him when they already don't have a first for a one year rental and your QB will be 40 next year?  I love Taysom, but he will never be a starting NFL QB.   Not sure why you would hope Teddy wouldn't take over for Brees.  Your fantasy team has no bearing on NFL coach's decisions.

Lets not forget that Teddy was drafted based on the recommendation of Norv Turner who at the time thought Teddy was a lot like Drew Brees.

Teddy learned the Coryell offensive system under Turner which is the same offense that Sean Payton runs with the Saints.

Absolutely!  Payton was in love with Teddy that particular draft, and he's been a pro bowl QB.  Why would they trade a 3rd rounder for him when they already don't have a first for a one year rental and your QB will be 40 next year?  I love Taysom, but he will never be a starting NFL QB.   Not sure why you would hope Teddy wouldn't take over for Brees.  Your fantasy team has no bearing on NFL coach's decisions.
If Bridgewater was a pro bowl qb it’s because 6 QBs couldn’t make the game. He was decent but never much more than that. Not sure why people think he was that great- I think people just like his name.

Ted Ginn (knee) ends up on injured reserve

Saints placed WR Ted Ginn (knee) on injured reserve.

Ginn injured his knee in Week 4 and apparently did not make enough progress during the Saints' Week 6 bye for the team to stick it out. We would assume the 33-year-old deep threat will be a candidate for return after missing the required eight weeks. In the interim, third-rounder Tre'Quan Smith is going to be the main beneficiary. Smith already rained hellfire on the Redskins in Ginn's Week 5 absence. He's worth a flier in all leagues where he remains unowned.

Oct 18 - 4:46 PM

?

Considering picking him up before this news spreads. Would you guys drop Fitz for him? I’m in a bind since my TE is on a bye so roster space is limited 

In the little I've seen of him, he seems like he can run routes but it's hard to tell in the NO scheme where EVERYONE goes deep. I'll need tonight just to research his college vids and breakdown (at work now with boss lurking ?)

EDIT: I'll say this... the YouTube vids I am seeing on him are making me very excited...

I think it’s important to note Meredith saw 5 targets to Tre’Quan’s 3. Both were efficient catching all those. I wouldn’t feel comfortable starting either other than as a what the hell against the Ravens. Probably will be searching for a TD to make any hay this weekend.

I think it’s important to note Meredith saw 5 targets to Tre’Quan’s 3. Both were efficient catching all those. I wouldn’t feel comfortable starting either other than as a what the hell against the Ravens. Probably will be searching for a TD to make any hay this weekend.

True, but the rest of the season is awfully juicy.

I agree that Meredith benefits more from this - guessing he’ll slide right into the WR2 spot.  When Smith comes in, Thomas most likely moves into the slot where he's virtually uncoverable.  

True, but the rest of the season is awfully juicy.

I agree that Meredith benefits more from this - guessing he’ll slide right into the WR2 spot.  When Smith comes in, Thomas most likely moves into the slot where he's virtually uncoverable.  

Oh, I’m definitely rostering. I just don’t think this week is the best to crank up the hype machine and people should not be dropping if this weekend is a disappointment.

Users who are viewing this thread