What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: Tre’Quan Smith, WR NO (2 Viewers)

Tre'Quan Smith (ankle) returned to practice Wednesday. 

Smith missed Week 16, Week 17, and the team's Wild Card Weekend victory over the Bears with an ankle injury sustained in late December. It would seem Smith has a chance to play this week against Tampa. He remains on injured reserve, though he's designated to return. Smith being active against Tampa would effectively put a damper on the already-minimal fantasy prospects of Deonte Harris and Lil'Jordan Humphrey. 

RELATED: 

Deonte Harris

, Lil'Jordan Humphrey

SOURCE: Nick Underhill on Twitter 

Jan 13, 2021, 5:41 PM ET

Saints activated WR Tre'Quan Smith (ankle) from injured reserve.

Smith has missed New Orleans' last three games dating back to Week 16 due to the ankle injury he suffered in late December. Deonte Harris popped in the Wild Card round against Chicago, seeing seven targets on just 14 routes run, but will likely play even fewer snaps on Sunday with Smith back in the lineup. Latavius Murray remains a question mark against Tampa Bay.

Jan 16, 2021, 4:42 PM ET

Tre'Quan Smith caught all three of his targets for 85 yards and two touchdowns in the Saints' Divisional Round loss to the Bucs.

He caught a 56-yard score on a flea-flicker trick play from Jameis Winston before then making an incredible adjustment for a second score at the front right pylon on Drew Brees' lone touchdown pass of the game. Smith led the Saints in receiving. During the regular season, Smith posted a 34-448-4 line on 50 targets, setting new highs in targets, catches, and yards as the Saints' third wideout. A big-play receiver, maybe Smith will get more of a chance in 2021 if Emmanuel Sanders leaves town and the Saints also become more aggressive down the field. Smith will be entering the final year of his rookie deal.

Jan 17, 2021, 10:46 PM ET

NewOrleans.football's Nick Underhill said Jameis Winston or Taysom Hill could "unlock" Tre'quan Smith's potential in 2021. 

Underhill said Smith -- an explosive downfield threat in college -- never meshed with Drew Brees and his reliance on timing routes and anticipatory throws, especially as Brees' arm strength vanished in his final years as the Saints' QB. Bigger-armed quarterbacks like Hill and Winston would better fit Smith's strengths, including corner, post, go, and seam routes. Smith posted a 34-448-4 line on 50 targets in the 2020 regular season, setting career highs in targets, catches, and yards. Winston hit Smith on a 56-yard score in the Saints' playoff win over Chicago, while Hill connected with Smith on two deep routes during Hill's stint as the team's starter in 2020. He looks to enter 2021 as the team's No. 2 wideout behind only Michael Thomas. Smith, who struggled with communication and confidence issues with Brees under center, is an intriguing best ball target, at worst. Underhill also mentioned Marquez Callaway as a potential No. 2 receiver for New Orleans.

RELATED: 

Marquez Callaway

SOURCE: NewOrleans.football 

Apr 6, 2021, 12:47 PM ET

This man's poised for a break out this year! And last year, AND the year before!!
That's fair but given how late he's going, he's worth an end-of-draft flyer, especially if Jameis is starting. I don't think Brees was a great fit for Smith at the end of Brees' career and there's opportunity.  Not sure that I see a true "break out," however that's defined, but something like 58/750/6 with a couple of big weeks seems plausible.  A better pick in best ball.  And it wouldn't shock me if he did 20% better than that.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think he's a bum...yet. Certainly agree he's performed below expectations in his brief career since being a 2nd day/3rd Round pick (somewhat of a disappointing class overall, but that's no excuse), but the Saints let Emmanuel Sanders walk, and didn't do much of anything to bolster the WR room. I read the Calloway talk, but he's still an UDFA and there are no other significant draft capital WR on the Roster. Certainly if he struggles to compete with those Players, it's not a good sign.This is his contract year, I think, as he doesn't have a 5th year option as far as I can tell. Should be plenty motivated. Last Season, a lot went wrong in the NO passing offense. Brees was in decline, especially on deep throws, Smith was overmatched playing the role of Michael Thomas while he was hurt, and Smith has also had his share of dings. He's played some slot with moderate success, but it seems he's better suited to play out wide, and there's a big role in the offense for that, provided there's a QB that can get him the ball. Unfortunately, that's something out of his control, and he has to hope Winston learned a thing or two from his redshirt 2020, as he certainly can play to Smith's strengths. Thomas and Kamara will certainly dominate looks, but I'm sure everyone in NO is hoping Winston will be the QB and Hill will be the gadget. Trautman should present a credible mid range route option to spread coverage fairly. If the QB situation settles in Winston's favor, it's up to Smith to make the most of it, of course. I think he's a great late-round flyer right now. He's cheap and if it doesn't work out, he's a low-cost cut...but there is upside there. Unfortunately for him, it's going to take more than him to unlock it. I'm pulling for the kid.

NewOrleans.football's Nick Underhill reports WR Tre'Quan Smith has missed practice time with an apparent leg injury. 

Details are scant on Smith's injury but he hasn't practiced since leaving the field Tuesday. In line for WR1 duties in New Orleans for as long as Michael Thomas (ankle) is sidelined, an extended absence could allow Marquez Callaway to emerge as the team's top wideout. Both Smith and Callaway should see plenty of playing time for as long as Thomas is out. 

RELATED: 

Marquez Callaway

SOURCE: NewOrleans.football 

Aug 6, 2021, 12:25 PM ET

He really didn't get it done last year with a HOF QB
It's starting to feel like a career changing opportunity is slipping away from him.

Still, if Winston wins that job I'll have interest in Smith. In terms of FF, Winston is a HOF level QB. The last time Winston started a season he was QB#3 in FBG scoring.

Once bitten, twice shy.  When he first appeared, I gambled on his potential. He, needless to say, came up short. I won't be drafting him on potential again. His value going forward lacks that aspect in this house, making him a wr4 at best.

I feel like whoever are the two starting wideouts for New Orleans are going to have at least WR 5 value and the potential for more depending on how the team does while Thomas is out. I WANT to like Smith, but I am hearing zero buzz around him out of camp.

I know there are some great Saints fans in here - they talked me into drafting Kamara as a rookie!  What are their takes on the current WR situation?

I feel like whoever are the two starting wideouts for New Orleans are going to have at least WR 5 value and the potential for more depending on how the team does while Thomas is out. I WANT to like Smith, but I am hearing zero buzz around him out of camp.

I know there are some great Saints fans in here - they talked me into drafting Kamara as a rookie!  What are their takes on the current WR situation?
Callaway.  He looked really good before getting injured last year.   Even with Thomas in the lineup, he holds value.  As a Saints fan, I haven’t seen anything from him that gets me excited outside of the Redskins game his rookie season. 

Callaway

.  He looked really good before getting injured last year.   Even with

Thomas

in the lineup, he holds value.  As a Saints fan, I haven’t seen anything from him that gets me excited outside of the Redskins game his rookie season. 

Meaning Smith, correct? Hasn't excited you?

Saints WR Tre'Quan Smith (hamstring) did not practice on Thursday.

It's yet another leg injury for Smith, who spent time on IR last year with an ankle and missed 10 days of training camp for an unspecified leg reason. The Saints are carrying four wideouts behind Smith and Marquez Callaway, with Deonte Harris probably the most enticing for fantasy football purposes due to his home run speed. Lil'Jordan Humphrey, Chris Hogan, and Ty Montgomery round out the depth chart. Humphrey might be in line for Smith's snaps if the hamstring injury lingers. 

Sep 9, 2021, 4:11 PM ET

Saints placed WR Tre'Quan Smith on injured reserve with a hamstring injury.

New Orleans also put DB Ken Crawley on IR. Without Smith, Lil'Jordan Humphrey will have to step up as the WR2 behind Marquez Callaway. Alvin Kamara also figures to post a monstrous target share, as he did last season in Michael Thomas' absence. Jameis Winston will have his work cut out for him against the Packers given the state of this receiving corps.

RELATED: 

Lil'Jordan Humphrey

Sep 10, 2021, 4:31 PM ET

Perfect... Lil'Jordan Humphrey is a household name I can route for.

I'm so sick of this Jordan Humphrey III or Jordan Humphrey Jr. - buddy's parents got it right.  Big'Jordan Humphrey, Jordan Humphrey, Lil'Jordan Humphrey.  Rumor has it ' Lil'Jordan Humphrey is expecting a son - Snackpack'Jordan Humphrey.

You thought the St. Brown family had terrible names. 

Could this guy give a lift to the Nawlins passing game and Jameis?

The practice squad guys they are trotting out there every week are not producing all that much, and Brees never had the arm at the end of his career to take advantage of TS’s deep speed.

Saints activated Tre'Quan Smith (hamstring) from injured reserve.

Smith will make his 2021 debut versus the Seahawks tonight, per Nick Underhill. He suffered a leg injury in August but was able to return to practice just days before New Orleans' opener, only to injure his hamstring and land on IR to start the year. Marquez Callaway has been the team's top receiver with Smith and Michael Thomas absent. It's unclear what role Smith will come back to but Callaway has been underwhelming as Jameis Winston's WR1. He has as many games with fewer than 20 receiving yards as games with over 50 yards. 

Oct 25, 2021, 5:30 PM ET

Tre'Quan Smith caught 1-of-3 targets for 11 yards in the Saints' Week 7 win over the Seahawks.

Smith was making his season debut after being on I.R. with a hamstring injury. He and Jameis Winston weren't at all on the same page in this one, and the two even got into it on the sideline at one point. Smith isn't a strong fantasy option ahead of a Week 8 date with the Bucs, even in what could be a game that favors the Saints' passing offense.

- NBC SportsEDGE

Tre'Quan Smith caught 3-of-4 targets for 53 yards in the Saints' Week 9 loss to the Falcons. 

This was Smith's most productive and highest-targeted game since making his 2021 debut in Week 7. Baby steps that are unlikely to become leaps and bounds in this hard-capped offense. Smith will be a low-floor, low-ceiling WR5 bet for next weekend's date with the Titans. 

- NBC SportsEDGE

Saints re-signed WR Tre'Quan Smith to a two-year, $6 million contract.

Smith's deal comes with $2 million guaranteed and incentives that can earn him an additional $4.5 million on top of the $6 million base. With the Saints quite thin at receiver, it's a move that makes sense for both sides. Smith has never bested 1.29 yards per route run in his four-year career and had 1.25 in 2021. His inefficiency makes Smith unlikely to be a strong fantasy option at any point, but he should help the Saints by serving as a capable ancillary target. The success of the offense will largely come down to how close to peak form Michael Thomas is, and how well he clicks with Jameis Wintson.

RELATED: 

Michael Thomas

, Jameis Winston

SOURCE: Field Yates on Twitter

Mar 28, 2022, 1:23 PM ET

Tre'Quan Smith caught 4-of-5 targets for 105 yards in the Saints' Week 3 loss to the Panthers.

It would have been a great day for Smith, who got more run with Michael Thomas and Jarvis Landry going down mid-game, but he also suffered an injury in this game. Smith's head appeared to hit the ground as he secured a 48-yard bomb from Jameis Winston. He was diagnosed with a concussion and ruled out. He could play a larger role in Week 4 based on the injuries to Thomas and Landry. First, Smith will need to clear concussion protocol.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Tre'Quan Smith caught 3-of-3 targets for 43 yards and a touchdown in New Orleans' Week 6 loss to Cincinnati.

He looked the most impressive of the Saints' remaining wideouts, but he still only finished with three targets as Andy Dalton peppered the middle of the field and didn't look his way often. Smith has shown the most of the New Orleans' backup receiving corps this year and might be worth a FLEX start assuming no non-Chris Olave members of it heal up for Week 7's Thursday night game against Arizona.

- NBCSportsEDGE

(fantasypros) Saints WR Tre'Quan Smith caught 4 of 5 targets for 59 yards in Thursday's loss to the Cardinals.
Analysis: Smith saw an increase in opportunity with Jarvis Landry and Michael Thomas out and he made the most of it, catching all but one ball thrown his way. Fantasy managers can add him in deeper leagues, but will need to monitor the health of the starting WRs before starting Smith.

Users who are viewing this thread