What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Dynasty & Redraft: Tre’Quan Smith, WR NO (3 Viewers)

Tre'Quan Smith (foot) is questionable for Week 12 against the Falcons.

Smith returned to a limited practice on Wednesday, putting him on track to play Thanksgiving night. Coming off a career-high 157 yards in last week's win over the Eagles, Smith should have a field day against Atlanta's bottom-rung secondary.
EDIT: Roto breakdown

On the Cusp (proxy of a player’s baseline)

Tre’Quan Smith: He was targeted on 43.3 percent of his routes last week after failing to record a target the week prior, but we always mention that the spots you want to take shots on him is in these high-total home games. In his past three games in New Orleans, Smith has been the WR5, WR32 and the WR2. He has missed practices early int he week, so make sure to check on his availability in the middle of Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone will claim him, even though he's doubtful (?).  Do you want him for the rest of the season?  I'd say, "Yes."
Smith was deemed Questionable on today’s final Injury Report. Spidey sense is that he plays, but his snaps are limited.

Keith Kirkwood has looked really capable so far. Makes the situation a lot less stressful for Sean Payton.

Smith has 10 days to heal up, but it's frustrating because his next game is in the road vs. Dallas. Don't think it'll be a track meet, but it is at least on turf. Still, that may not be the type of game you use Smith; we'll see.

Tre'Quan Smith (foot) was limited in Monday's practice.

Even though it wasn't "full" participation, Smith being able to practice this early in the week is a good sign for his chances of playing Thursday night against Dallas. With Smith sidelined on Thanksgiving, Keith Kirkwood worked as the Saints' No. 2 receiver. Tommylee Lewis was No. 3, and Austin Carr No. 4.

Tre'Quan Smith (foot) remained "limited" in Tuesday's practice.

Getting in back-to-back practices bodes well for Smith's odds of returning Thursday against the Cowboys. The Saints will issue their final status report on Wednesday. Even if Smith ends up a game-time decision, owners will easily be able to swap. Smith will be an upside WR4 if he takes the field.
Today is the big day. Even another 'limited' is fine.

Per Rotoworld:

“Tre'Quan Smith (foot) was removed from the Week 13 injury report and will play against the Cowboys on Thursday night.

All of Smith's big games have come at home in the Superdome, but this one will be played in a similar dome environment at AT&T Stadium. The upside is there, but the floor is just as low. Treat Smith as a boom-bust WR4.”

Doug B said:
See the top post on this page, though. Feel a lot better with a 'full practice' designation.
How do you see Marshall fitting in in the receiving pecking order?

Thought you might have some insight as a homer...

How do you see Marshall fitting in in the receiving pecking order?

Thought you might have some insight as a homer...
With Tre'Quan Smith back, Marshall won't be used very much in 2018 -- barring injury to others, anyway. It's hard to activate Marshall on game days even once he's learned and practiced enough of the offensive playbook. Marshall doesn't play special teams, while the Saints' current WRs 3-4-5 all do. On top of that, Ted Ginn is expected to be activated from IR in two weeks.

The emergence of Keith Kirkwood is what the Saints' brass hadn't counted on. Had they known he'd be as ready as he's been, they might not have signed Marshall at all. Still, both Dez Bryant and Brandon Marshall, by all accounts, have been a great off-the-field influences for the teams' young receiving corps. 

In the Dez Bryant thread I called Dez a "Super Brandon Coleman" for those who remembered the former Saints WR. Brandon Marshall is a homeless man's version of Brandon Coleman... he may suck up a RZ target or two but he won't threaten anyone's workload.

Goose egg, best day ever, then goose egg due to a toe injury.  With how diversified the RZ targets were last week, it’s hard to feel good about starting TQS on TNF when his bum toe could resurface and Brees is spraying targets around to nobodies.  Keeping him benched.

Goose egg, best day ever, then goose egg due to a toe injury.  With how diversified the RZ targets were last week, it’s hard to feel good about starting TQS on TNF when his bum toe could resurface and Brees is spraying targets around to nobodies.  Keeping him benched.

As tempted as I am to place him in as flex, I'll bench him over DJ Moore. Let's see what he does coming back

After the injury to Cooper Kupp, it's either Smith, Golden Tate, or Adam Humphries. Or a waiver wire guy like Godwin, Mike Williams, Kirk or Samuels. Slim Pickins for me.

Argument could be made Brees sprayed targets to nobodies BECAUSE Smith was out. These were the snap counts Week 11 when Smith played

13-M.Thomas - 57 57 81%

10-T.Smith - 50 50 71%

80-A.Carr - 31 31 44%

18-K.Kirkwood - 29 25 36%

Smith ran as the clear #2 here. If he's healthy (he practiced in full) he's going to get a similar if not greater workload.

Argument could be made Brees sprayed targets to nobodies BECAUSE Smith was out. These were the snap counts Week 11 when Smith played

13-M.Thomas - 57 57 81%

10-T.Smith - 50 50 71%

80-A.Carr - 31 31 44%

18-K.Kirkwood - 29 25 36%

Smith ran as the clear #2 here. If he's healthy (he practiced in full) he's going to get a similar if not greater workload.
I get it, but yet he received 0 targets the week before he blew up.  Then you have Kamara and TEs also getting targets.  I just want to see some consistency to prove his reliability before he’s a must-play guy.  Saints O is simply too diversified and unstable right now and I’d rather have a high floor guy in my lineups.

I get it, but yet he received 0 targets the week before he blew up.  Then you have Kamara and TEs also getting targets.  I just want to see some consistency to prove his reliability before he’s a must-play guy.  Saints O is simply too diversified and unstable right now and I’d rather have a high floor guy in my lineups.
Keith Kirkwood and Dan Arnold are still no-names in FFB, and they won't be FFB-startable assets anytime soon. Yet both have shown WAY more than Saints' coaches expected this early on. Not huge stats, but important chain-moving plays often enough to demonstrate that they belong in the NFL and the pro game is not too "big and fast" for them.

Tre'Quan Smith is showing out, too ... but the way things stand now, Smith doesn't need to be force-fed if opponents sell out to stop Thomas and Kamara. Payton WILL create mismatches and Brees WILL find the open guys -- no matter what name is on the back of their jersey.

This is also why the Saints have the luxury of taking their sweet time getting Brandon Marshall up to speed. Marshall may never see meaningful snaps at all this regular season. Probably will, but it would no longer be a shocker if he didn't.

• Smile
Reactions: -X-
Exactly.  Brees and Payton have so many weapons, it’s really hard to rely on TQS right now.  I sure would like to see him blow up again tonight, but foot/toe injuries tend to cause havoc, especially on a short week.  If I was desperate and it was a Sunday game, I’d feel more comfortable about rolling the dice, but I have other more stable options for this week.

Roger that.  I’ll revise that statement by saying I’d prefer he had extra time to heal if it were a Sunday game.

I’ll have my “Eagle Eye” enabled while watching him tonight.   :hifive:

It also depends on what he is to your fantasy team. Right now he's competing for my 2nd Flex spot with:

A.J. Green vs. Denver - First game back from the toe injury and Driskell at QB...

Chris Conley @ Oakland - Unfortunately Sammy Watkins status isn't 100% known,  if I know he's out I'd start Conley (Mahomes owner)

To me, that 10 for 13/157/1 game showed me Brees could trust him with a heavy workload/tight windows. He's not going to see that many targets again but I also think the zero-catch games are less likely also.

• Smile
Between him and josh Reynolds for my last flex spot...already locked into playoffs so it doesn’t matter if I win but I’m going with reynolds

• Smile
In my league where my playoff position is set I am starting him - what the hell.  In my other league not rolling the dice, going with a higher floor.

Heisenberg23 said:
Boom:/bust. If you’re an underdog play him 
I'm in that mode right now. I'm playing in the toilet bowl this year for the #1 pick next year which is huge. We dropped 2 owners early in the year do to some very high heated issues and theres some talent to be had including Nick Chubb. Add in the rookie class and next years draft with us going to 10 teams as both teams will be dropped this will be our strongest draft since year 1. I think thats why my league didn't see a lot of picks or trades this year because everyone knows even if you win the league at #10 next year you are gonna get a player that could've been top 3 pick any other year. 

Users who are viewing this thread