What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Since when did HS start costing so much extra money? (1 Viewer)

Have a son and a daughter in H.S. this year. 

My daughter is in the marching band in the color guard.  Cost to be in the band $350.  Mandatory fee for the Band Parent Organization $85.

This weekend the kids had a bunch of forms and other b.s. for us to sign, but in them I see there is a $20 fee for my son's Materials and Processes class and then my daughter's chorus class has a $60 fee.

WTF?

3 minutes it took for Trump to catch the blame  :lol:

HS was  expensive with crazy fees when my daughter went through it also, how are we gonna pin that one on Ol Don?
So wait... cutting funding to DOE, regardless of who is doing it, doesn't have an impact here? Do I have this right? 

So wait... cutting funding to DOE, regardless of who is doing it, doesn't have an impact here? Do I have this right? 
No noticeable impact that I can discern.

Same as it has been. 

Unless you can connect the dots to fees that have existed long since before Trump was in office to his budget actions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can somewhat get the band fee.  I mean it is extra curricular, but the other two are classes that were available.  Extra fees for everyday classes are b.s.

We'll also forget the fact that I said it's not helping and that I didn't point it out as the only issue. 

That seems convenient too. 

Have a son and a daughter in H.S. this year. 

My daughter is in the marching band in the color guard.  Cost to be in the band $350.  Mandatory fee for the Band Parent Organization $85.

This weekend the kids had a bunch of forms and other b.s. for us to sign, but in them I see there is a $20 fee for my son's Materials and Processes class and then my daughter's chorus class has a $60 fee.

WTF?
Ours happened when Christie gutted the union and cut school budgets in 2010.

Thats when we started to have to pay for extra curriculars (mainly to cover the bus driver pay) 

My daughter is also in Marching Band this year.  By law, the school cannot impose an extra fee, so they ask for a donation...very aggressively do they ask for it.  They want over $1200 from each family. To be fair, this includes a room/food/bussing to a 4 day competition 400+ miles away, but still it is quite a request.

We have two in HS. Both are in Marching Band (Clarinet and Sousaphone!). They ask for a bit of 'fees' at the beginning of the year (Couple hundred), but in general, they fund-raise the heck out of everything else, and ask for support from parents for drinks/food/snacks and such for . And if there is a trip, they try to cover as much as they can, but ask for other stuff, like food/hotels. In the last several years, the band has gone to Pearl Harbor (before our time :kicksrock: ) and last year they went to Disney World. Over 2019/2020 New Years they are due to go to Rome, and will march in a parade there. (Wife and I will be going along!)

I am in charge of 'Spirit Nights' for the Boosters, where we ask local businesses to donate $$$ based upon sales. Some make there be a code word saying 'Tuscarora Marching Band' or something, but a lot just do a percentage of sales overall.

As far as giving $$$ extra for classes. I'm OK. I'd rather do that and the kids get a better class. The last thing I want is for a teacher to have to spend any of their own money on anything. We do OK financially, so it's not an issue for us, but I'm sure in our county if there is an issue money-wise there are things that can be done.

And don’t forget the $100+ graphing calculator. 
Positive thing in my kids' school is that the younger kid's teacher for that subject said it wasn't that big of a deal. They are relearning teaching in my county (Loudoun, VA - dgreen) since all of the kids received a Lenovo Chromebook from the county for use during the year. This may cause the calculator to go away some. His class is being done 'Reverse' where most of the learning is done at home, and the number grinding homework will be done in class. They have calcs there also.

We have two in HS. Both are in Marching Band (Clarinet and Sousaphone!). They ask for a bit of 'fees' at the beginning of the year (Couple hundred), but in general, they fund-raise the heck out of everything else, and ask for support from parents for drinks/food/snacks and such for .
How much do you charge for popcorn?

We have two in HS. Both are in Marching Band (Clarinet and Sousaphone!). They ask for a bit of 'fees' at the beginning of the year (Couple hundred), but in general, they fund-raise the heck out of everything else, and ask for support from parents for drinks/food/snacks and such for .
How much do you charge for popcorn?
They didn't do popcorn, just went door to door in Aug in VA (near DC) in full uniform asking for cash. Got $8,000+.

The popcorn story is obnoxious! My little girl is in GS, and I run her troop's cookie sales. I wanted to order a thousand thin mints!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Positive thing in my kids' school is that the younger kid's teacher for that subject said it wasn't that big of a deal. They are relearning teaching in my county (Loudoun, VA - dgreen) since all of the kids received a Lenovo Chromebook from the county for use during the year. This may cause the calculator to go away some. His class is being done 'Reverse' where most of the learning is done at home, and the number grinding homework will be done in class. They have calcs there also.
Yeah, there has to be an app that does whatever the TI-84 does. Still waiting to hear if it’s “required” or not. 

Yeah, there has to be an app that does whatever the TI-84 does. Still waiting to hear if it’s “required” or not. 
They only way it may be required is because they need it on a test. They usually want the phones away for that!

Where I work, we provide the graphing calculators and the extra fees for band/sports can be waived if you qualify for free/reduced lunch. Some of it is traced back to the recession when school funding was slashed in many States. Adjusting for inflation, many States are funding their schools less than they were in 2008. 

https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-budget-and-tax/a-punishing-decade-for-school-funding

What State are you in?
Thanks Obama.. amiright @Epic Problem?

I know you are partially joking but I really wouldn't pin any of this on either Trump or Obama. It happened more on the State level. Maybe Bush can take some blame since he was President for most of the time leading up to the recession. 
I am 100% joking.

Republican legislatures and governors control most of the states. They don't believe in spending money on education and have tax and spend priorities instead to favor lobbyists for business special intererests. Simple as that.

I just listen for the "buyouts" at this point. I am not going to hit up my coworkers for popcorn, cookies, or whatever #### they are trying to sell every year.  I like it when they try to sell some sort of food product so that when I do the buy out I actually have something.  

The buyout of 200 bucks or schlep popcorn around the neighborhood, work and wherever else for days trying to nickel and dime family and friends is a no-brainer.  

It’s part of the deal. Money, golf tourneys, Christmas tree lots, pizza nights. We helped fund those who couldn’t afford it. If you want a nice program families have to help raise funds 

Ilov80s said:
Where I work, we provide the graphing calculators and the extra fees for band/sports can be waived if you qualify for free/reduced lunch. Some of it is traced back to the recession when school funding was slashed in many States. Adjusting for inflation, many States are funding their schools less than they were in 2008. 

https://www.cbpp.org/research/state-budget-and-tax/a-punishing-decade-for-school-funding

What State are you in?
Arizona and Florida are lapping the field.  Gee, I wonder what the common denominator is.

Arizona and Florida are lapping the field.  Gee, I wonder what the common denominator is.
Alabama is basically the same as Florida. The other thing is that just shows cuts and doesn't even get into the fact that those States also had some of the lowest funding pre-recession. 

Users who are viewing this thread