What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

NFL BS Double Standards (1 Viewer)

He is pretty much saying water is wet. NFL QB is the most important position in all of sports. While I don’t like the new rules, I completely understand them and why they’re here. The game is simply better when the starting QB’s are playing. 

Or; and I know this is crazy, but maybe players could pay attention to where the wall is, since the chances of the wall jumping out of their way is slim. 

As was said in last night’s game thread, there are hints:

• did you run over a series of thick white stripes?

• when looking up for the ball did you see a long yellow goal-post shaped pole above you? 

• did you run past a group of photographers? 

Yeah - might wanna look out for that wall at that point.   :shrug:

Given the choice you would pick the starter, over the back up, 100% of the time. It’s a WAY better game with the starting QB’s, there’s no debating it. 
The point isn't that starting QBs are better than backups. 

The point is that it is both affecting game and game situational outcomes in meaningful ways, and deleteriously changing the way defense is played to the detriment of the overall sport.

Or; and I know this is crazy, but maybe players could pay attention to where the wall is, since the chances of the wall jumping out of their way is slim. 

• when looking up for the ball did you see a long yellow goal-post shaped pole above you? 

So players should just quit on a play because they know they are near the sidelines/endlines. Glad I never had to play a sport with someone with that thinking. 

So players should just quit on a play because they know they are near the sidelines/endlines. Glad I never had to play a sport with someone with that thinking. 
Weird how you quoted me, yet somehow asserted I said something I never said.

how is that even possible? You quoted me, and that statement, sentiment or even basic concept appears literally nowhere in the quoted text.  :unsure:

You’re right, and I agree; players shouldn’t quit on a play.

But players should absolutely have field awareness & awareness of their surroundings.

walls don’t jump out in front of players. Players run into walls.

they usually don’t make that mistake a 2nd time.

last night’s play was an example of a player losing focus and forgetting his surroundings - it was dumb, and it was his fault. 

Sure, he gave it his all - he never quit on the play. But once you know it’s an uncatchable ball going out of the back of the end zone, yes - absolutely “give up” on that play, because only an idiot or a golden retriever chases a ball off of a cliff. And I’d have more sympathy for the dog, because a human should know better. 

smart football means having awareness of surroundings. That wasn’t the NFL’s fault. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The point isn't that starting QBs are better than backups. 

The point is that it is both affecting game and game situational outcomes in meaningful ways, and deleteriously changing the way defense is played to the detriment of the overall sport.
All rule changes do, then players and teams adapt and all is well. This will be no different. 

How long do you think it takes to "put on the breaks?" The end zone wall is not close.

I often think a defender should be flagged during Green Bay games. The guy wants to do a lambeau leap and the defender follows him way after the end zone to smack the ball away or get in his way to mess up the rhythm for the jump. It looks like sore loser stuff to me. Once the refs arms go up, the play is dead

All rule changes do, then players and teams adapt and all is well. This will be no different. 
Big oversimplification, IMHO. There is a difference in my eyes of, say, moving the ball back or requiring ST to be stationary on kickoffs to fundamentally changing the way a defensive player has been conditioned, trained, and coached since Pee Wee in terms of basic technique/approach and actually holding back on plays for fear of being flagged. 

Also a huge difference in that unlike my example around kickoffs, the rule and the way it's being enforced seems so variable so players have no idea what the "line" that can't be crossed truly is.

Always protect the QB rules but what is truly needed is to rob the college ranks for good OL coaches. Too many teams have eh OL coaches. A good coach will weed out the nonperformers and make sure the QB is protected.

Plus most teams got rid of the FB. How predictable is this, c'mon? FBs were often fan favorites and they weren't exactly paid well by league standards.

Titans cut their FB last year and then needed Cassel. This year both QBs are hurt. 

I think its the cost of doing business with NFL defenders. Protect or absorb a shot. I'm good with headshots being illegal. I mean clean hits

Weird how you quoted me, yet somehow asserted I said something I never said.

how is that even possible? You quoted me, and that statement, sentiment or even basic concept appears literally nowhere in the quoted text.  :unsure:

You’re right, and I agree; players shouldn’t quit on a play.

But players should absolutely have field awareness & awareness of their surroundings.

walls don’t jump out in front of players. Players run into walls.

they usually don’t make that mistake a 2nd time.

last night’s play was an example of a player losing focus and forgetting his surroundings - it was dumb, and it was his fault. 

Sure, he gave it his all - he never quit on the play. But once you know it’s an uncatchable ball going out of the back of the end zone, yes - absolutely “give up” on that play, because only an idiot or a golden retriever chases a ball off of a cliff. And I’d have more sympathy for the dog, because a human should know better. 

smart football means having awareness of surroundings. That wasn’t the NFL’s fault. 
No you didn’t say those exact words but that’s how I read it. I got slow down and watch where your going instead of trying to make the play. I think they do mostly stay awhere of where they are on the field but if your in a sprint and catch the ball with just enough room to get 2 feet down that wall is going to show up very fast. Players shouldn’t have to worry abt it. Are the walls actually getting that close idk, haven’t really seen that much abt it yet. Also how many times does a play like the one I describe happen, probably not much, they do usually have time to slow down but the point is there. They want to keep players safe, most notably QBs, but have other stuff that can hurt other positions

No you didn’t say those exact words but that’s how I read it. I got slow down and watch where your going instead of trying to make the play. I think they do mostly stay awhere of where they are on the field but if your in a sprint and catch the ball with just enough room to get 2 feet down that wall is going to show up very fast. Players shouldn’t have to worry abt it. Are the walls actually getting that close idk, haven’t really seen that much abt it yet. Also how many times does a play like the one I describe happen, probably not much, they do usually have time to slow down but the point is there. They want to keep players safe, most notably QBs, but have other stuff that can hurt other positions
It’s not like the walls  are at different distances like on baseball fields. In football even if they added an extra row or two of seats, the walls are the walls. 

And  again: once  a defensive back sees that a ball is not catchable,  they’ve already won the battle. 

There is no point in continuing to run 1000 miles an hour  once the play is already over. 

Smart players make smart plays. And part of being a smart player is staying healthy. And a good way to stay healthy is by not running straight into in animate objects. 

It has nothing to do with giving up on a play or not. It has everything to do with being situationally aware as a player.

Given the choice you would pick the starter, over the back up, 100% of the time. It’s a WAY better game with the starting QB’s, there’s no debating it. 
It's not like we are talking about starting vs backup QBs in a vacuum. 

We're probably talking about maybe 1 or 2 fewer key QB injuries per decade in exchange for having to watch these mind numbing, game changing penalties on a weekly basis. It's simply not worth the trade off. 

And realistically I'm not sure these silly penalties have saved a single major injury. The rule about not hitting QBs low has been around for half a decade and in that time have you seen one single defender stumbling at the qb who can only grab him low decide to just dive out of the way and forego the sack rather than grabbing his legs? 

The tackles are still the same, they're just flagged a lot more, mostly because what they're asking defenders to do is unreasonable. There is no "adjusting to it" other than just deciding not to tackle the qb, which is simply not going to happen. 

It’s not like the walls  are at different distances like on baseball fields. In football even if they added an extra row or two of seats, the walls are the walls. 

And  again: once  a defensive back sees that a ball is not catchable,  they’ve already won the battle. 

There is no point in continuing to run 1000 miles an hour  once the play is already over. 

Smart players make smart plays. And part of being a smart player is staying healthy. And a good way to stay healthy is by not running straight into in animate objects. 

It has nothing to do with giving up on a play or not. It has everything to do with being situationally aware as a player.
I’m not talking abt non catchable balls, I’m more thinking offensive players trying to catch a TD where the ball was placed at the back of the end zone and their focused on catching it and scoring not worrying abt making sure they aren’t gonna run into a wall if they can’t slow down while catching the ball. 

I’m not talking abt non catchable balls, I’m more thinking offensive players trying to catch a TD where the ball was placed at the back of the end zone and their focused on catching it and scoring not worrying abt making sure they aren’t gonna run into a wall if they can’t slow down while catching the ball. 
That’s not what happened last night though. And it’s not what has happened on any play this season so far.

And if the ball is thrown to the exact back of the Endzone, the wall is  far enough  behind that that anyone should have enough time  to slow up and avoid running into it. On the play last night, the wide receiver knew where the wall was. He slow down in time. 

You’re talking as though this is arena football and they have  no means to avoid going into the wall. 

I’m not sure what this has to do with your initial response to me talking about players not giving up on plays.   :shrug:

I forget the play or the defensive player involved, but at one point, the refs hair-triggered a flag for roughing the passe as a defensive player looked to be trying to avoid hitting Ben a fraction of a second after he got rid of the ball, and his momentum and body position (arm up to deflect a pass) caused his forearm to graze Ben's head, and Ben looked like he dove.

There was literally nothing wrong with what the defensive guy did, it wasn't even a hit, it was incidental and minor meaningless contact, and the refs threw the laundry. It was picked up, but it's that kind of hair-trigger that completely upsets the balance of how defensive players can actually play defense. Also shows how ripe this rule is to turning QBs into the kind of diving only reserved in professional soccer.

A second moment last night was when a defensive player was on the ground and had complete meaningless and unavoidable contact with Ben's legs, I believe -- another penalty that was picked up, but it sets the tone that players need to be worried about getting penalized for things that routinely happen on the field that they have zero control over.

I realize I am going very far afield from the original intent of the thread discussing the proximity of seating in the end zone. But this is such a perfect example of good intentions completely ruining the game in absence of clear, well-thought-out, enforceable rules. You can't have a flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants approach to setting and enforcing penalties, which is what it looks like to me. 

It seems to me that both fit their pattern.    Having more seating closer to the field increases their revenue which is a good business decision.   You can't even argue that protecting your hundred million dollar investment in the form of a franchise quarterback is also a wise business decision.

Big oversimplification, IMHO. There is a difference in my eyes of, say, moving the ball back or requiring ST to be stationary on kickoffs to fundamentally changing the way a defensive player has been conditioned, trained, and coached since Pee Wee in terms of basic technique/approach and actually holding back on plays for fear of being flagged. 

Also a huge difference in that unlike my example around kickoffs, the rule and the way it's being enforced seems so variable so players have no idea what the "line" that can't be crossed truly is.
These players are capable of change.  Some will come around slower than others and you're just seeing the adjustment period now.  I'm sure they'll tweak the rule a bit or adjust the way it's called as well.

It's not like we are talking about starting vs backup QBs in a vacuum. 

We're probably talking about maybe 1 or 2 fewer key QB injuries per decade in exchange for having to watch these mind numbing, game changing penalties on a weekly basis. It's simply not worth the trade off. 

And realistically I'm not sure these silly penalties have saved a single major injury. The rule about not hitting QBs low has been around for half a decade and in that time have you seen one single defender stumbling at the qb who can only grab him low decide to just dive out of the way and forego the sack rather than grabbing his legs? 

The tackles are still the same, they're just flagged a lot more, mostly because what they're asking defenders to do is unreasonable. There is no "adjusting to it" other than just deciding not to tackle the qb, which is simply not going to happen. 
I only mentioned the starters versus the back up to give insight into why the rule exists.  It's really as simple as what Sherman said--they only really care about protecting QB's.

Yes, I have seen plenty of guys pull off instead of going low on a QB over the years.

You're going to extremes if you think players simply can't adjust to it.  How many QB hits and sacks have there been this season compared to the flags thrown?  

My bottom line is that if you feel like players can't adjust and the only alternative is to just let QB's run free than we will have to agree to disagree.  Over the past 20 years the game has evolved a ton and there's been a lot of "oh what are the players supposed to do now" talk but in the end the players and coaches all adjust.   We move on and wait for the next change to complain about...it just goes round and round.

He is pretty much saying water is wet. NFL QB is the most important position in all of sports. While I don’t like the new rules, I completely understand them and why they’re here. The game is simply better when the starting QB’s are playing. 
So then give em flags!  These penalties are affecting outcomes and causing injuries of their own.

It's football.....if you don't want ur QB to get killed, block better.....legislating legal hits out of football just makes it a watered down product.

That’s not what happened last night though. And it’s not what has happened on any play this season so far.

And if the ball is thrown to the exact back of the Endzone, the wall is  far enough  behind that that anyone should have enough time  to slow up and avoid running into it. On the play last night, the wide receiver knew where the wall was. He slow down in time. 

You’re talking as though this is arena football and they have  no means to avoid going into the wall. 

I’m not sure what this has to do with your initial response to me talking about players not giving up on plays.   :shrug:
Didn’t know we were only talking abt what happened last night. I didn’t get to watch the game so not even sure what happened. I think it is easier for the offensive player to know where the boundaries since they are running a certain route whereas the defender is focused on not getting burned so could lose track of where they are easier. so not surprised if it was a non catchable ball that the receiver stopped short whereas the defender I’m guessing was more watching the receiver/ball. I understand the wall isn’t right behind the endline and I can’t run 18 mph so I don’t know how long it takes to slow down at a dead sprint while focusing on catching a ball so maybe it’s not a huge problem. But like the OP said why up your safety while at the same time making it where someone might end up crashing into a wall when they weren’t trying too. I honestly don’t pay attention enough to really know how far the stands are away from the endline and if they are actually moving them closer or not but if they are it could cause safety concerns.

on the bold. I guess I’d rather have it where a player doesn’t have to think abt whether they have to be careful about running into a wall during certain instances.

I think that's close to what happened on Drew Brees' first rushing TD against the Falcons Sunday. Both defenders were in a position to blow Brees up, but their recognition of "Can't blow up the QB!" -- even though he was outside the pocket and was a runner -- seemed to come into play.

The NFL is really, really poor on judgement related calls.  They also appear to have no idea how to be transparent or act in the best way for the product on the field.  They botched the Tuck Rule and catch/non-catch rulings for a really long time...this seems like more of the same double down non-sense and sales pitch by them.

Sad as it may sound at first, I'd rather a QB gets the kicker/punter treatment when hit after the ball leaves their hands (5 yards for running into/15 for roughing) than watching 4 or 5 randomly enforced personal fouls to defensive players just, you know, playing defense.

You obviously did not watch that play in real time.  The pass was so far out of the end zone, I bet that defender would've stayed stride for stride with the WR another 50 yards.  He went full on #######.  The wall did it's job.

I'm specifically talking about rules regarding the prevention of injuries, but it does put the NFL in a tight spot.

However, their best course of action would be to implement reasonable rules & stick with them long-term. Meaning, dial the injury prevention thing down a bit & don't overreact. Realize football is a violent game & players are going to get hurt.

That said, I have news for NFL brass, your sport isn't going away because of injuries. There's too much money to be made (by all parties). 

Guess you haven't seen the Kenny Stills TD on Sunday. Watch that play and tell us that the wall is fine where it is.

Didn't a player file a claim a while back when there was concrete too close to the field causing him to skid on his cleats into a wall?

However, their best course of action would be to implement reasonable rules & stick with them long-term. Meaning, dial the injury prevention thing down a bit & don't overreact. Realize football is a violent game & players are going to get hurt.
This part I’m in agreement with. The overcorrections by the NFL over the years have uniformly made things worse. 

The tackling issue is a mess. Can’t hit high? Ok, enjoy the knee injuries. Can’t hit low either? Crap - how do you tackle? 

The only one I can think of that’s worked for the NFL is the horse collar rule. 

Didn't a player file a claim a while back when there was concrete too close to the field causing him to skid on his cleats into a wall?
I thought it was the white mat at the sideline. But yeah, I do remember that. That’s a bit different, and was seemingly negligent of the NFL.

the end zone wall is not the same. 

These players are capable of change.  Some will come around slower than others and you're just seeing the adjustment period now.  I'm sure they'll tweak the rule a bit or adjust the way it's called as well.
Just because players can adapt doesn't mean that that adaptation means it's better for the game.

Which, to be super clear, is my point (as opposed to starting QBs being better than backups, whether players can adapt, that the game will always evolve, etc.).

I get what the NFL is trying to do to protect all QBs, regardless of where they are in the depth chart. Like kickers, they are often in positions where they are more defenseless than other positions. I actually support the underlying notion of why they are changing how things get flagged.

But the application of protection, and the pendulum-swung-too-far in enforcement -- as we're currently seeing -- is, IMHO, degrading the game.

I forget the play or the defensive player involved, but at one point, the refs hair-triggered a flag for roughing the passe as a defensive player looked to be trying to avoid hitting Ben a fraction of a second after he got rid of the ball, and his momentum and body position (arm up to deflect a pass) caused his forearm to graze Ben's head, and Ben looked like he dove.

There was literally nothing wrong with what the defensive guy did, it wasn't even a hit, it was incidental and minor meaningless contact, and the refs threw the laundry. It was picked up, but it's that kind of hair-trigger that completely upsets the balance of how defensive players can actually play defense. Also shows how ripe this rule is to turning QBs into the kind of diving only reserved in professional soccer.

A second moment last night was when a defensive player was on the ground and had complete meaningless and unavoidable contact with Ben's legs, I believe -- another penalty that was picked up, but it sets the tone that players need to be worried about getting penalized for things that routinely happen on the field that they have zero control over.

I realize I am going very far afield from the original intent of the thread discussing the proximity of seating in the end zone. But this is such a perfect example of good intentions completely ruining the game in absence of clear, well-thought-out, enforceable rules. You can't have a flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants approach to setting and enforcing penalties, which is what it looks like to me. 
It was JPP (they didn't wave off the penalty) and Ben said on his radio show today that although he may have embellished it a little to get the ref's attention, it was the hand that JPP wears a cast on so it did ring his bell.  Of course, knowing Ben the drama queen, that probably will put him into concussion protocols tomorrow.

Just because players can adapt doesn't mean that that adaptation means it's better for the game.
And we are still too early in the process to know if it is or not.  As I said previously, there's have been a lot of changes recently and almost every one reads the same and after some time no one cares anymore.  This (IMHO) will be no different and we can all get ready to hate the next change in 2019

And we are still too early in the process to know if it is or not.  As I said previously, there's have been a lot of changes recently and almost every one reads the same and after some time no one cares anymore.  This (IMHO) will be no different and we can all get ready to hate the next change in 2019
Let's agree to disagree. The kind of calls I am seeing that are deciding key parts of the game, if not the potential outcome, disrupting momentum, causing delays and confusion, and the general non-clarity of the line between legal hit and a flag, is clearly (IMHO) worse for the game.

So then give em flags!  These penalties are affecting outcomes and causing injuries of their own.

It's football.....if you don't want ur QB to get killed, block better.....legislating legal hits out of football just makes it a watered down product.
You know what's a watered down product?  Watching Deshon Kizer air mail the ball 12 feet out of bounds time and again while Aaron Rodgers watches on from a stretcher.

Football is changing - accept it or go watch something else.

this is the NFL, baby, the same league that let the 'alleged' *cough* wife beater Jim Brown come out to announce the Brownies pick at this years draft, and he's revered as some conquering hero. fans go nuts for him,everyones excited to see this dbag..

he's someone who has , on MULTIPLE occasions, through multiple allegations, beaten his wife, choked her, served time in jail for domestic abuse , etc..

the single greatest double standard in the history of BS..

real stand up guy. great to see the NFL keep their lofty standards! great to see this dirtbag paraded around like he's a god of some sort.maybe you should think twice a out getting his autograph on your Brownies shirt/hat/patch..just sayin'

on another note, Rae Carruth is scheduled to be released Oct 22nd..wow..watch the NFL hire him to do speeches..just watch it happen.

Here’s a different double standard on display Sunday. I apologize if this has been noted somewhere else. I’m talking about the Godwin catch and eventual TD that was overturned because he was “down by contact.”   Godwin’s foot indeed touched the defender. But hasn’t the NFL made it clear that a WR that catches a ball while going to the ground must maintain control through that process in order for it to be a catch?  Their ruling implies that possession was established before the WR completed the requirements for a catch. So, according to this ruling, for the defender the WR establishes possession immediately upon catching the ball but the WR has to progress past “down by contact” for possession to count for him?  Lol. Does the NFL know what a catch is?  [they do not].

Users who are viewing this thread