What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Climate Change thread: UN Report: we need to take action (6 Viewers)

Not without reallocating resources, that is for certain.  Of course reallocation is very possible if we change priorities, priorities some would argue are very much misplaced.
Right, I suppose even if one looks at it as a zero-sum game, then there's all means of things and ways in which we can redistribute.

I'm probably not going to be able to have that debate now. That takes somebody more qualified than I. 

Right, I suppose even if one looks at it as a zero-sum game, then there's all means of things and ways in which we can redistribute.

I'm probably not going to be able to have that debate now. That takes somebody more qualified than I. 
And certainly more qualified than I as well.  My postings on this matter should be read as beliefs, not facts, impressions, not well researched. 

If people send me money I will buy lots of stuff.

And certainly more qualified than I as well.  My postings on this matter should be read as beliefs, not facts, impressions, not well researched. 
Yeah, I used to at least have access to an in-house library with all sorts of wonky publications, but no more. None of my stuff in the PSF should be read as anything but opinion besides the most generalized statements. That, or if I cite. 

Numerous articles about these fires but I’m not reading solutions. Is there any way to fight them? Do we simply let them burn out? 

If the situation is as catastrophic as the scientists are saying (20% of the world’s oxygen supply) it seems like there should be an international effort, shouldn’t there? Like yesterday. 

Numerous articles about these fires but I’m not reading solutions. Is there any way to fight them? Do we simply let them burn out? 

If the situation is as catastrophic as the scientists are saying (20% of the world’s oxygen supply) it seems like there should be an international effort, shouldn’t there? Like yesterday. 
My impression is that they are still being actively set as land clearing for slash and burn agricultural gone industrial scale. If that is the case there is no motivation to put them out as they are not unwanted.

Perhaps I misunderstood the matter.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a supposed Jared Diamond fan I find your population-related posts curious to say the least...

"The root problem in all but one of Diamond's factors leading to collapse [of historical civilizations] is overpopulation relative to the practicable (as opposed to the ideal theoretical) carrying capacity of the environment "

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collapse:_How_Societies_Choose_to_Fail_or_Succeed
Also a big fan of Jared Diamond. 

That said there have been a few advances in food production (and understanding of cascade effects) since Rapa Nui, the Vikings etc

Western or more liberal societies are actually having a birth dearth wherein they won't be able to support their social programs at current fertility rates. 
Didn't Tausing show a strong correlation between societal increase in wealth and decrease in birth rate.

My impression is that they are still being actively set as land clearing for slash and burn agricultural gone industrial scale. If that is the case there is no motivation to put them out as they are not unwanted.

Perhaps I misunderstood the matter.
I believe that is what I read as well

Hard to do anything about it when their president is blaming it on fake news and NGOs

That said there have been a few advances in food production (and understanding of cascade effects) since Rapa Nui, the Vikings etc
And gone backward in terms of "carrying capacity of the environment." 

Like I said before, start at the source.

Didn't Tausing show a strong correlation between societal increase in wealth and decrease in birth rate.
If you mean Taussig, then yes, that was his argument, and his argument had to do with individualism (property rights).

(I'm not looking to correct to be a jerk, I just want to make sure we're not talking about a modern paper by somebody with a similar name.)

Forest fires are a climate change double-whammy. Not only do they kill tons of CO2-absorbing trees, but burning releases the trees’ stored carbon back into the atmosphere. It’s  estimated that last year’s forest fires in California released 68 million tons of CO2 - for comparison, California’s entire electricity sector emitted 76 million tons in all of 2016.
And guess which jungle/forrest has been the biggest land based carbon sink on the planet for a long, long time...

If they don't get this fire under control, we'll have just accelerated the rate of global warming to an even more dangerous degree than we already have. Is there anybody out there who still scoffs at the idea of anthropogenic causation of climate change?

Some would argue that many of those same advances in food production have accelerated global climate change.

And guess which jungle/forrest has been the biggest land based carbon sink on the planet for a long, long time...

If they don't get this fire under control, we'll have just accelerated the rate of global warming to an even more dangerous degree than we already have. Is there anybody out there who still scoffs at the idea of anthropogenic causation of climate change?
about 30% of the American public

Whatchu talking about?

The article said the overall global population took a 56% hit.   Do you have info that contradicts that? 
AND caribou ... which have declined bigtime in the last decade thanks to .... drumroll please?  natives killing them

can't loop them in - nice try though, lets just focus on NORWAY REINDEER please

I kept a pulse on caribou hunting from 2006 on when I got screwed on a Quebec hunt and my buddies even MORE screwed in future years. Amazing decline in Canadian caribou in just 10 years :(  

lightening killed 300 in Norway in 2016 you know ... was that a big deal? climate change?

Estimates for Norway's total reindeer population are around 220,000. ... The animals have been a protected species since 1925 in Norway, helping the population recovre - 2016

how about this graph on reindeer? 

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Reindeer-population-in-Karasjok-and-Kautokeino-from-1946-to-2007-Numbers-per-April-1st_fig6_230583410

That's the spirit that the U.S. was built on. Unbridled greed and self interest, #### everyone and anything that gets in the way of it. That's why we have the environmental problems we've got now. Unchecked, things are going to get real ugly all over the place, and it won't be localized. You think the U.S. has an immigration problem now? Just wait until sea levels rise, desertification really kicks in in currently high population/poorly economically developed areas, and all those folks are looking for a new place to stay alive.

This planet has conducted a number of experiments in various lifeforms. Might be our run is just about up.  The difference between us and the species that died off before is it'll be all self inflicted damage on our part. Smart enough to figure out the means to destroy the environment we require to live, but not smart enough to keep from doing it. I hope the insect people learn from us in a couple million years.

That's the spirit that the U.S. was built on. Unbridled greed and self interest, #### everyone and anything that gets in the way of it. That's why we have the environmental problems we've got now. Unchecked, things are going to get real ugly all over the place, and it won't be localized. You think the U.S. has an immigration problem now? Just wait until sea levels rise, desertification really kicks in in currently high population/poorly economically developed areas, and all those folks are looking for a new place to stay alive.

This planet has conducted a number of experiments in various lifeforms. Might be our run is just about up.  The difference between us and the species that died off before is it'll be all self inflicted damage on our part. Smart enough to figure out the means to destroy the environment we require to live, but not smart enough to keep from doing it. I hope the insect people learn from us in a couple million years.
If this happens, can we just let them switch places with the climate deniers?

You think the U.S. has an immigration problem now? Just wait until sea levels rise, desertification really kicks in in currently high population/poorly economically developed areas, and all those folks are looking for a new place to stay alive.
Exactly. This has been said before, but we’ve already seen a preview of the GOP’s climate change policy - it’s the detention camps at the border.

The ####### Amazon is on fire. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/videos/world/2019/08/22/amazon-rainforest-fires-darlington-pkg-vpx.cnn

We’re committing suicide here. Are we going to wake up or not? 
>>Why so many fires are occurring now

The recent Amazon fires have been widespread and some came on rather suddenly. In the state of Para, for example, a wildfire surge occurred last week that was linked to a call by farmers for a “day of fire” Aug. 10, according to local news reports. INPE, using satellite-based sensors and other instruments to locate fires and track the amount of acreage burned, recorded hundreds of fires in the state as farmers cleared land for agriculture and also burned intact areas of rainforest for further development. ****Cleared rainforests in this region are typically used for cattle farming and growing soybeans, and much of the land-clearing is done illegally.<<

Wapo

Just a hunch here, but it seems some Brazilian industry leaders think they’re about to sell a lot of soybeans and beef.

Some would argue that many of those same advances in food production have accelerated global climate change.
And they may be right about some of it. But it is my impression that the sustainability movement is making very big strides these days in reuse of waste, better use of land, water/ other resources etc.

Not convinced it's doom and gloom, yet

Just a hunch here, but it seems some Brazilian industry leaders think they’re about to sell a lot of soybeans and beef.
Soybeans are getting a bad rep here in Europe as farming's impact on climate change is being revealed more and more. The growth methods and the transportation really adds up to a lot of CO2. Local alternatives are being sought, and consumption may be topping - at least from what I can see anecdotally here in DK

Don't forget his thoughtcrime shtick "You're telling me what to think", that was priceless
Can't say I am familiar.  I drop into that trainwreck about once a month.  Last time I did it was a comparison of golf clubs to different types of guns....no shtick.

I wonder at the species which may be wiped out, which we may never come to know, plant and animal kingdom.  What might we have learned.  I worry for the fisheries which will have to deal with silt run off into their spawning beds.  Imagine the fishing economies which will be devastated.  How many indigenous peoples will be displaced physically or in culture because of this?  There are tribes all along the Amazon which depend on the health of that river.  Already hydro electric projects and dredge mining in the river and nearby have stressed that river to the breaking point.  This will not help.  I wanted to run that river, now, not so much.  I guess I can return to the Orinoco, but its just not the same.  

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/sockeye-salmon-returns-plunge-in-b-c-as-climate-change-mainly-to-blame

it's happening everywhere...there is a terrifying shift going on in the ecosystem, and nobody knows the results

These right-wing populists are going to be the end of the human race
They're not really populists. They only engage in populist rhetoric to the extent that it hoodwinks the suckers into keeping them in power so they can enrich themselves - and nobody else.

Trump just got off the phone with Bolsarano, he’s says. They’re happy campers, eager to trade. 

Trump offered to help Brazil with the fires. But only if Jair wants. He didn’t say whether he told Jair to try raking or not. 

I don't believe there is much hope for humans to reverse the current global warning trends and it seems plausible that it could be the catalyst for the change.  Rising sea levels along with reduced crop outputs could be a strain on many coastal areas which could lead to some potentially massive consequences.
People cant even be bothered to clean up after their dogs or throw trash away at national parks. It will take pain. Lots of it. 

Users who are viewing this thread