What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Climate Change thread: UN Report: we need to take action (2 Viewers)

My Aunt just posted a meme on Facebook of this girl "posing with" an Isis member, George Soros and wearing a Antifa shirt. And her quote was "this poor child has been used her whole life".   She is dead serious. My Aunt does not understand the concept of photoshop apparently and believes everything she sees online. These people exist. She loves Trump.

My Aunt just posted a meme on Facebook of this girl "posing with" an Isis member, George Soros and wearing a Antifa shirt. And her quote was "this poor child has been used her whole life".   She is dead serious. My Aunt does not understand the concept of photoshop apparently and believes everything she sees online. These people exist. She loves Trump.
It's an interesting example of those who are being manipulated themselves projecting that very behavior onto those they want to discredit. This is something the Russian bot engineers have really mastered. And to be clear, the mastery isn't in the content used to do the manipulation (as seen here, it's not a very complex execution), but rather in finding ready targets for the misinformation. Their data collection (legal or otherwise) and analysis infrastructure is frightening. And our own government is now moving backward in this regard due to the current administration.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Gr00vus she is the nicest, most generous, loving person i know. But she is deeply catholic and is basically a one issue voter. She is anti abortion. Trump could get away with anything as long as he appoints conservative supreme court justices. Which is fine, shes a citizen who has a vote. But she is unknowingly (or not caringly) spreading false info to push her agenda. And there is nothing anyone could say to her to open her eyes to truth. Its amazing. 

@Gr00vus she is the nicest, most generous, loving person i know. But she is deeply catholic and is basically a one issue voter. She is anti abortion. Trump could get away with anything as long as he appoints conservative supreme court justices. Which is fine, shes a citizen who has a vote. But she is unknowingly (or not caringly) spreading false info to push her agenda. And there is nothing anyone could say to her to open her eyes to truth. Its amazing. 
I've seen a bit of this in personal relations, though mainly at arms length - friend's wife that I don't have to deal with much, Aunt's husband who I don't have to interact with much, etc. Sucks that so many relatively decent people are so willing to be hoodwinked. Truly evil stuff on the part of the perpetrators.

I've seen a few 'friends' on Facebook attacking the young girl, too. It's truly unbelievable what has happened to this country.  Did Trump turn all these people into hateful, miserable, despicable humans or were they always like that and he just made it acceptable to stop hiding it? 
Not sure if the publication knows she is not American or if it is a weak attempt at some metaphor.

Every Trump Supporter when it comes to defending their position about anything.

One of the more interesting takes I have read is blaming her and her generation. 

If they weren’t glued to electronics, and if they rode bikes instead of getting driven around everywhere, we wouldn’t be in this situation. 

The Duff Man said:
One of the more interesting takes I have read is blaming her and her generation. 

If they weren’t glued to electronics, and if they rode bikes instead of getting driven around everywhere, we wouldn’t be in this situation. 
I wonder what party they vote for. This sounds like a very hipster democrat thing to do, ride a bike everywhere. 

The Duff Man said:

Ah, yes.  Of course climate change has obviously been caused by the children. 

Ah, yes.  Of course climate change has obviously been caused by the children. 
Brats. I knew it. 

I’m telling my daughter this weekend that before she goes out, not only does she need to clean up the mess in her room, but clean up climate change as well. Not going to put up with this anymore. 

The Duff Man said:

Also hilarious because they aren't driving themselves around

JuniorNB said:
I've seen a few 'friends' on Facebook attacking the young girl, too. It's truly unbelievable what has happened to this country.  Did Trump turn all these people into hateful, miserable, despicable humans or were they always like that and he just made it acceptable to stop hiding it? 
Its always been there. What Trump has done is open the eyes of the people who thought we had turned that corner.  

She's being nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.  If she wins, Trump may have a stroke.   He wants one so badly because Obama got one.   

She's being nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize.  If she wins, Trump may have a stroke.   He wants one so badly because Obama got one.   
You know, if Trump wants that prize, there is actually  a way for him to get it. I heard the Prime Minister of Pakistan this morning, and he was practically begging for Trump to mediate between him and the PM of India in order to achieve a peaceful solution to Kashmir. Not saying that Trump could pull this off, but he could try. Even now, even with the impeachment going on, it could have a positive effect. Nixon achieved an end to the Yom Kippur War AND a nuclear treaty with the Soviet Union during the height of Watergate.

-fish- said:
I was not aware that Obama had a stroke and I have no idea why Trump would want one.  It sounds horrible.

Vox is the lunatic left rag from the swamp. Stop terrorizing kids with climate alarmism conspiracy theories. That poor Greta looks abused and she’ll shocked!
yes because vox came up with that study on it's own and developed the conclusions...

hey look another trumpite triggered by a 16 year old girl!

Ive been thinking of an interesting angle,  which may be way off base, who knows. Trump and the GOP poo-poo’ing Climate Change daily. Since Trump/GOP are being seen as more corrupt and self serving by the day, this will potentially drive some fence sitters more toward green efforts. If that makes sense.

This page typifies suckiness.   Political discussions anymore all centers around demonizing the other side.  It is all about how much the other side sucks.  This is what makes political discussion unbearable.  It is all about tearing down those people.  

This page typifies suckiness.   Political discussions anymore all centers around demonizing the other side.  It is all about how much the other side sucks.  This is what makes political discussion unbearable.  It is all about tearing down those people.  
no it isn't...there is science and reason and there are people who link youtube pages.  

that you even think this an actual debate is the problem.

Next up...are wheels round???

no it isn't...there is science and reason and there are people who link youtube pages.  

that you even think this an actual debate is the problem.

Next up...are wheels round???
Your response has nothing to do with what I said.  My comment was about the reprehensible statements thrown at this young lady and then the ancedotal responses and projecting such on to most and in some cases all Trump supporters. 

Besides, as much as science is on the side at identifying the problem, science and logic is not on that same side when you listen to the proposed solutions.   There is strong science to support this is a problem which needs actions.  But there is a serious lack of science or even sound reasoning that support the proposed actions.  The arguement is we have to do something.  But doing stuff which is not the best or even an effective use of our resources is dumb.  Throwing a bunch of money at poorly planned solutions is counter-productive.  There must be logic to the order which stuff is done, and the solutions must be technically mature to impliment.  Otherwise we just end up redoing everything and consuming massive amounts of resources and exerting energy for nothing.  And so your wheels arguement is exactly the kind of rhetoric that sucks.  

Wow..Talk about making the other guys point.
I hope so because the climate change debate isn't a debate and shouldn't be treated as such....

hopefully none of these people smoke with their kids in the backseat of their car breathing their crap in because...you know, a small group of plucky scientists got a cash grab together to tell everyone smoking is bad.  Smoking is good for you...i saw a youtube video about it

I think there's a reasonable discussion to be had about politics on this topic, but it's difficult to have until people stop treating science as politics.  Whether or not climate change is happening is not a political debate.  What to do about it from a policy standpoint can be, but many people are quite frustrated that we can't even get to that discussion.

I hope so because the climate change debate isn't a debate and shouldn't be treated as such....

hopefully none of these people smoke with their kids in the backseat of their car breathing their crap in because...you know, a small group of plucky scientists got a cash grab together to tell everyone smoking is bad.  Smoking is good for you...i saw a youtube video about it
There are many that would disagree with you.  Just cause you believe it, doesn't mean it's right.  Its amazing to me that people take these positions.

It's like saying -- Jesus is real and there's no debate about that.  If you do debate that, you're dumb.  

supermike80 said:
There are many that would disagree with you.  Just cause you believe it, doesn't mean it's right.  Its amazing to me that people take these positions.

It's like saying -- Jesus is real and there's no debate about that.  If you do debate that, you're dumb.  
No, it's not really like that at all. 

Its 100% exactly like that.  I mean EXACTLY like that.  Couldn't be even more so.  A devout christian will tell you,  period, that Jesus exists.  And there is absolutely zero doubt.  Zero.
You have exactly one ostensibly supporting premise in this post and it is almost meaningless to the discussion.

Aren't religion and science completely different though?
Not relevant to my point.    The whole  "I am right, and there is no debate about it" nonsense.  Can't talk to people like that.   Same as very religious folks.  They spew this conversation ending gibberish and you move on to talking to someone who is reasonable about the subject.  

Aren't religion and science completely different though?
More importantly, verifying the actual birth, life, and death of a person alleged to have lived almost 2000 years ago (much less his super powers) is significantly different from verifying the existence of climate change.

Not relevant to my point.    The whole  "I am right, and there is no debate about it" nonsense.  Can't talk to people like that.   Same as very religious folks.  They spew this conversation ending gibberish and you move on to talking to someone who is reasonable about the subject.  
Except one is saying they are right based on science/facts and the other is saying they are right based on pure belief.

The fact that something is scientifically testable has a big impact on whether its debate is meaningful or meaningless. 

You have exactly one ostensibly supporting premise in this post and it is almost meaningless to the discussion.
Oh i know.   I've commented my feelings concerning Greta already.  I just have no time or tolerance for the "This is a fact and there is no debate about it" BS. That's all.  It's annoying.  To me.  And hey, this is a board where we can spout our opinions

Its 100% exactly like that.  I mean EXACTLY like that.  Couldn't be even more so.  A devout christian will tell you,  period, that Jesus exists.  And there is absolutely zero doubt.  Zero.
Science deals with the natural world. Religion deals with the spiritual and supernatural.

Science is a collection of knowledge of natural phenomena  proved or disproved through analysis and evidence. Religion is a collection of morals, ethics, and beliefs.

Please go on, I love watching you demonstrate your ignorance.

Users who are viewing this thread