What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nikki Haley out (1 Viewer)

I was going on the working theory that it was KAC who wrote the OpEd but Haley has always been a prime suspect 

My sense from the McMaster and Tillerson resignations is that Trump doesn't so much care about ideology and global policy specifically, it's just that he can't stand resistance and arguments against his grand ideas (ie bs). Trump doesn't seem to care about Bolton's little machinations so long as he stays out his ear. This seems to fit into that generally.

Last edited by a moderator:
One rumor is she could get Kavanaugh's DC Circuit seat but I don't see anything in her wikipedia bio about going to law school?

One rumor is she could get Kavanaugh's DC Circuit seat but I don't see anything in her wikipedia bio about going to law school?
I don't think there is a law school/lawyer requirement.  It would certainly be unusual, but it wouldn't be the most unusual thing that Trump has done. ETA: But most likely I think she just wants out.

Lots of less dramatic theories too, about her losing influence in the administration on foreign policy and whatnot. But the timing is super-weird for something like that, with the gender issues the GOP is facing and the midterms in less than a month. Why not wait and slip out with the rest of the post-midterm exits without causing a fuss? I don't get it.

I think this is all going to be very polite and pleasant and painted as NH leaving because she's been in long enough but there is no doubt that her policy and tone were at odds with the anarchic/nationalist policies being run out of State and the NSA. I think it's philosophical and she'll be a free agent for anything possibly developing in 2020. Trump critics have been constantly challenging Republicans in the administration to resign and maybe this is it. Maybe typical wishful thinking on my part, we'll see.

And if this is some switcheroo where they're putting her into some office while someone else moves into UN Amb. then so be it I'll guess I'll be wrong but I don't see any corresponding moves going on here right now.

This doesn't seem like a contentious breakup. Seems amicable. So I don't think she's anonymous.

ETA from Reuters:

MORE: Trump says he hopes Haley will come back in a different role: 'You can have your pick'

MORE: Haley says she will not be running in 2020, will campaign for Trump

Lots of less dramatic theories too, about her losing influence in the administration on foreign policy and whatnot. But the timing is super-weird for something like that, with the gender issues the GOP is facing and the midterms in less than a month. Why not wait and slip out with the rest of the post-midterm exits without causing a fuss? I don't get it.
Interesting counterpoint I just saw: if the GOP loses the House due to the growing gender gap and then the administration loses perhaps its most high-profile woman immediately afterwards, it would not be a great look.  Could be seen as her showing solidarity with newly emboldened female voters or as Trump lashing out at them through Haley.  This allows them to separate the two.

Although I still think she could have slipped out unnoticed when Sessions and Mattis are canned in favor of Rudy Giuliani and Richard Spencer or whatever fresh horrors await us on the flip side.

I think Haley is making a statement by the timing of the announcement - but she's not turning her back on the republican party stating she will help in 2020.

Otherwise, she would have held off a few weeks.

Why would Trump be teasing this as some sort of "big announcement" as if it's good news YET ANOTHER employee is leaving?

Trump is bending over backwards to show how amicable this is is probably due to the bad optics of the timing. If she were getting another position it would be announced at the same time and not a resignation. It is possible though,like was rumored with Gary Cohn, that she was hoping for another position, but with nothing available is leaving at least for now. She's put herself in the best position to both have another chance in the administration or to distance herself from it.

Rosenstein out

Graham in

Haley Senator 
It's for the end of the year. Sooo Graham has made noises about Sessions being replaceable (can't keep a president waiting forever yaknow). Replacing Sessions removes the Rosenstein problem, that glitch would be fixed from the Trump POV.

I'll hope for the best but be prepared for the worst.

"Jared is such a hidden genius..." -- Nikki Haley

Deeply hidden. Deep. Almost to where its undiscoverable. 

So who will be the next UN Ambassador? I’m going to guess Jared Kushner.

Put me down for Haley leaving because Pompeo and Bolton don’t listen to her, Tillerson and McMaster did.  I doubt it’s some greater referendum on Trump or Kavanaugh.  

This is sudden though, no way Trump would purposefully roll this out right over the Kavanaugh victory dancing.

- eta - And right before the election.

This is sudden though, no way Trump would purposefully roll this out right over the Kavanaugh victory dancing.

- eta - And right before the election.
He's going to need to hurry and find another serial sexual abuser to nominate so he can rally the base before midterms.

Missing the obvious here. She is about to become the next administration official embroiled in an ethics scandal due to her use and under reporting of private jets to travel. She gets out now she avoids it and leaves herself available for something in 2020.

Missing the obvious here. She is about to become the next administration official embroiled in an ethics scandal due to her use and under reporting of private jets to travel. She gets out now she avoids it and leaves herself available for something in 2020.
Ha ha, that's funny.

But it's not 2016 anymore. There's no such thing as "ethics", let alone an "ethics scandal".

Seems like a good time to drop out if you're planning on running for something in 2020. Doubt there's more to it than that.

"Jared is such a hidden genius..." -- Nikki Haley

Deeply hidden. Deep. Almost to where its undiscoverable. 
I’ll take this as sarcasm. Trump has handed Kushner a larger and larger slice of foreign policy vis shuttle diplomacy, especially Israel/Palestine & the Mideast. Maybe this is just NH saying, you want Sonny boy to run things, fine, hereyago.

Seems like a good time to drop out if you're planning on running for something in 2020. Doubt there's more to it than that.
Unless she has inside information that Lindsay Graham is taking another job or is retiring I'm not sure what she'd be running for in 2020.

Unless she has inside information that Lindsay Graham is taking another job or is retiring I'm not sure what she'd be running for in 2020.
Even many Republican women don't like what happened to Dr. Ford. There may be an opening and Haley has some crossover appeal in SC. Or maybe she lied about running against Trump. She would be able to raise money.

Or maybe she lied about running against Trump. She would be able to raise money.
First off, I think she's smart enough not to run against Trump. Second, if she did, she would be little more than a minor distraction in the SC primary, nothing more. 

The whole "resign from the administration so you can run against it and fix it" maneuver is something that might work against a Democrat or a normal Republican. But Trump is impervious to such a move. He'd come up with an unclever nickname ("Two-Face Nikki"!) and she'll be done.

Ha ha, that's funny.

But it's not 2016 anymore. There's no such thing as "ethics", let alone an "ethics scandal".
Yeah, gb NCC (hi! long time etc) is missing the obvious a little. As long as she hasn't been advocating and negotiating for humanitarian aid to people in the sh!thole countries, pretty much any run of the mill monetary abuse of office is gonna be waved off by the Repubs.

Lindsey Graham Attorney General  

Nikki Haley Junior Senator from South Carolina
Maybe. An old white guy who is a reliably pro-Trump Republican from the south and who leaves the safety of his Senate incumbency in a deep red state for the AG gig? What could possibly go wrong?

Maybe. An old white guy who is a reliably pro-Trump Republican from the south and who leaves the safety of his Senate incumbency in a deep red state for the AG gig? What could possibly go wrong?
Well, Republicans learned their lesson about backing sexual predators after running Roy Jones for the Senate and nominating Brett Kavanaugh for the Supre... ooooooooohhh.

Users who are viewing this thread