What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WIll Rex Burkhead be back this season? (1 Viewer)

Saboo

Footballguy
Or is his season over. Also, if he returns what will his role be + how will it affect S.Michel?

First part: no one knows right now, and you’re unlikely to get anything from the Pats on his status. 

Neck/spinal injuries can be scary & tricky. I’ll note that he was *immediately* placed on IR. I’m not sure if they used the designated to return status, but if they did he’ll be out a minimum of 8 weeks, from the next game after being placed on it, and not including their BYE. 

To the second part, IF he returns (which I doubt) I think he’d have a marginal role - at best he’s a weekly lotto ticket who vultures TDs from an incredibly effective Michele. White has the receiving role locked up, and also has been very effective in COP rushing duties. At worst he’d be bench depth who rarely sees the field. 

And again, that’s IF he returns, which wouldn’t be very many games. 

Thanks for the help. Wasn’t sure if he was officially out for the season
I don’t know either - everything I’ve found on google just said “IR” - nothing said “designated to return”. I believe the Pats would have had to make that designation if he was coming back (or even had a chance to), so I believe he’s out for the season. 

I don’t know either - everything I’ve found on google just said “IR” - nothing said “designated to return”. I believe the Pats would have had to make that designation if he was coming back (or even had a chance to), so I believe he’s out for the season. 
I believe teams no longer have to designate players to return at the time they're placed on IR.  Up to 2 IR-ed players can return if/when they're able.

I believe teams no longer have to designate players to return at the time they're placed on IR.  Up to 2 IR-ed players can return if/when they're able.
Falcons put two guys on IR weeks 1-2. They specifically said Deion Jones was designated to return. They didn’t say that about their DB.  :shrug:

Falcons put two guys on IR weeks 1-2. They specifically said Deion Jones was designated to return. They didn’t say that about their DB.  :shrug:
https://www.cincyjungle.com/2018/8/31/17797904/explaining-pup-nfi-ir-other-injury-nfl-roster-designations-cuts-53-man-roster

Last year, the NFL changed the IR with return designation so that you no longer have to designate the player who will get the designation at the time they are placed on the list. Now, teams can bring back any two players they've placed on IR at any time after the eight week mandate to be on the list has been met.

Previously, if a team wanted to use the one return designation spot, they had to declare it when the player was placed on IR. Now, they can just see who is getting healthy quickly, and take them off IR after they’ve been on the list for eight weeks (or more).

Also: https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2018/7/28/17621882/nfl-roster-designations-primer-injured-reserve-pup-nfi-and-did-not-report

The NFL began allowing teams to bring back one player from IR in 2012, though that player had to sit out at least eight weeks and had to be “designated for return” when placed on IR. In 2016, the NFL adjusted the rule, no longer requiring that a player be designated up front, which effectively allowed teams to bring back whichever player they wanted to from IR, provided that player had spent at least eight weeks on IR.

Last year, the league again amended the rule and now allows any two players to be brought back from IR during the season, as long as those players spent at least eight weeks on IR.

Saw the news shortly ago on Rotoworld.

Promptly slipped him into my IR spot over D'Onta Foreman in a league where I already own Sony Michel and am overloaded at RB.

I am glad to have Rex on my IR, but as a Sony Michel owner, I'd just as soon Rex stay on the bench until week 17.  

Here's to hoping Hoodie Bill "saves" Rex on the bench for a deep playoff run~!   :excited:

TZM

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw the news shortly ago on Rotoworld.

Promptly slipped him into my IR spot over D'Onta Foreman in a league where I already own Sony Michel and am overloaded at RB.

I am glad to have Rex on my IR, but as a Sony Michel owner, I'd just as soon Rex stay on the bench until week 17.  

Here's to hoping Hoodie Bill "saves" Rex on the bench for a deep playoff run~!   :excited:

TZM
I'm in the exact same boat, Sony owner, pretty deep at RB, but Rex might be a league winner weeks 13-16 should Sony or White go down.

Hes back.. Week 13 will be eligible if you have michel or white you need to pick him up as insurance.. 

thanks 

agreed you have to grab him .. doesnt get better for a insurance policy 

Hes back.. Week 13 will be eligible if you have michel or white you need to pick him up as insurance.. 

thanks 

agreed you have to grab him .. doesnt get better for a insurance policy 
I wouldn't go that far......even if one of them got injured it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit to see good old bill name Barner the starting RB and he splits carries with Patterson.

I want nothing to do with that

I wouldn't go that far......even if one of them got injured it wouldn't surprise me 1 bit to see good old bill name Barner the starting RB and he splits carries with Patterson.

I dunno, I feel like we would have seen much more Barner during Sony's absence if that were the case.  Bill can be tough to decipher sometimes, but I would feel pretty confident that Rex (if healthy) would see way more touches then Barner or Patterson if Sony/James went down.

that will never happen barner hasnt even been involved theres no way Bellichick uses his last ir spot to have this guy as a 5th stringer.. this guy is a hell of a insurance policy and 3rd in line and will be in the mix 

I dunno, I feel like we would have seen much more Barner during Sony's absence if that were the case.  Bill can be tough to decipher sometimes, but I would feel pretty confident that Rex (if healthy) would see way more touches then Barner or Patterson if Sony/James went down.
agreed Burkhead when healthy is gold.. week 1 when michel was not in there Burkead was the guy receiving the lion shares .. he was just dinged up even in preseason.. 

Burkhead also burned alot of people in the past. I'm not saying Barner is the guy if there's and injury...... I was half joking. 

My point was you never know what Billy is going to do.  It's a situation I'll stay away from

So if he comes back I’d assume White’s role it the only one that remains reliable, while Michele/Burkhead split carries. 

What a mess. 

So if he comes back I’d assume White’s role it the only one that remains reliable, while Michele/Burkhead split carries. 

What a mess. 
Nah, Michel is the guy...they drafted him in the first round...besides, one game and burkhead will be hurt again, he is made of glass.

Burkhead also burned alot of people in the past. I'm not saying Barner is the guy if there's and injury...... I was half joking. 

My point was you never know what Billy is going to do.  It's a situation I'll stay away from
I could understand staying away, but I have invested in this backfield in redraft for the last two years including burkhead twice, lewis last year, michel this year, and white this year. It has paid of in spades, giving me RB1 value at a very cheap price in drafts.

Its really not that hard to navigate, play the top two backs each and every week and you'll get your value...27 rushing td's in 2017/2018 and add another 18 receive tds in 2017/2018 by their backs...WOW!

Burkhead might get GL thoigh which kinda neuters Michel’s upside. 
Why would that happen, Michel is so much better than burkhead, if burkhead was their guy they would not have moved up to draft michel...if they pull michel on the goal line it's for white.....

and there is a huge assumption that burkhead will come back, jogging in practice is different that playing in a game.

Why would that happen, Michel is so much better than burkhead, if burkhead was their guy they would not have moved up to draft michel...if they pull michel on the goal line it's for white.....

and there is a huge assumption that burkhead will come back, jogging in practice is different that playing in a game.
I’m having dejavu - this discusson already happened in the preseason.

why ask why? It’s the Pats. They love using Burkhead at the GL. 

Doesnt matter if Michele is better or not. It’s the Pats. They do things. Don’t try to understand the Pats RB usage. White is the only one with a concrete role. 

From past use I would guess Michele between the 20s & Burkhead & White in at the red zone. 

GL carries will be a crap shoot. 

If Bulkhead is healthy, I’d bet they’ll use him. 

I’m having dejavu - this discusson already happened in the preseason.

why ask why? It’s the Pats. They love using Burkhead at the GL. 

Doesnt matter if Michele is better or not. It’s the Pats. They do things. Don’t try to understand the Pats RB usage. White is the only one with a concrete role. 

From past use I would guess Michele between the 20s & Burkhead & White in at the red zone. 

GL carries will be a crap shoot. 

If Bulkhead is healthy, I’d bet they’ll use him. 
Man...your're crazy..next thing you'll be saying is they will use patterson as a rb....jeeze, where do you get this stuff???

oh.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
They love using Burkhead at the GL.  
They do?

Burkhead has 9 attempts inside the 10 on 88 total carries over 13 games played.

Michel has 14 on 95 total carries over 6 games.

They do?

I don't claim to know how this will shake out, but they gave Burkhead GL carries when they had other options available (Dion Lewis, Gillislee for a bit).

Michel has had basically no competition for the GL carries he's gotten.

Who gets what when both are available remains to be seen.

I don't claim to know how this will shake out, but they gave Burkhead GL carries when they had other options available (Dion Lewis, Gillislee for a bit).

Michel has had basically no competition for the GL carries he's gotten.

Who gets what when both are available remains to be seen.
Michel.

Sure Burkhead may culture a few as will White and Gronk and...etc.  But the notion that Burkhead will be a viable fantasy option is unrealistic. Any given week he's an injury dependent (injury prone), TD dependent dart throw at best.

They do?

To be fair, he’s only been healthy for  13 games. 

Also, how many of those games with those two together? 

I’m not saying definitively one way or another what’s going to happen. I’m just saying it’s the patriots, so it’s hard to make any definitive statement as to what’s going to happen. 

If you think you know, let me botrow your crystal ball sometime 

No I'm a realist Michel in college was labeled injury prone . He was just in college ,he was hurt in preaseson , he was hurt a few weeks back ..see a pattern .. fragile 

He's ALMOST as injury prone as burkhead......
Yes true but I'm willing to take a lottery pick on a piece of the pie on New Englands rb share ..they have scored more rb rushing and receiving TDS then the rest of the league ..I think Burk can handle be healthy for a few games down the stretch .. there both injury prone 

Users who are viewing this thread