What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Exotic semi-exotic cars. Anyone own one? Swing in here. (1 Viewer)

boots11234

Footballguy
Im thinking about getting a weekend fun car.  Some kind of a sports car.  Want to spend in the 50-60K range.  I know we all make FBG money but this is the most I want to spend.   I am seriously considering  a Lotus exige.  Like a 2008.  I was wondering what types of problems those of you with these types of cars see.  I realize insurance and maintenance will likely be higher although this car basically is a Toyota engine with a exotic body.   Is there anything else I should know about owning a car like this?  What in this price range do you recommend?  

Im thinking about getting a weekend fun car.  Some kind of a sports car.  Want to spend in the 50-60K range.  I know we all make FBG money but this is the most I want to spend.   I am seriously considering  a Lotus exige.  Like a 2008.  I was wondering what types of problems those of you with these types of cars see.  I realize insurance and maintenance will likely be higher although this car basically is a Toyota engine with a exotic body.   Is there anything else I should know about owning a car like this?  What in this price range do you recommend?  
My neighbor has a Diablo. :shrug:

Seriously looked into payments on the new Lamborghini SUV.  Wife says she’d be totally fine with me going for it.  It would be my car/our weekend car (I train commute during the week, she has her own SUV).  It’s pretty bad ###. 

Really just want to do it so I can ask my wife before a run to Target with the kids “should we take your car, or the Lambo?” 

I also realize it’s an incredibly stupid way to spend money.

I have heard that if someone can afford a Lamborghini...

Then they can afford another Lamborghini...

There are a lot of options with your criteria.  You can get a new Mercedes AMG C43 or BMW M2 or Audi S4 or Porsche Cayman or Boxster for around the top of your budget.  You can also find low mileage used versions of them (and better models like the AMG C63) for less.  They are all fast and fun to drive, and you can get from home to the track or road you want to drive on and back.  I love the idea of driving a Lotus, they look like a blast to drive, but I have heard they are for people who like walking long distances. 

There are also Japanese and American sports cars you can get.  I did a quick search on CarMax in whatever the default zip code was and came up with some interesting options.

Here's an example that looks fun (503 horsepower, 516 torque):  https://www.carmax.com/car/16684347

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't do it unless you do your homework first.  Research when things need to be replaced (ex-timing belt) and the cost. Everything costs way more than you'd think and if you cheap out on fixes/maintenance you'll ruin the car and lose your money.  Plenty of fast cars that are cheap and reliable if that's what you want.  If it's a "hey look at me" car.  Tons that don't cost a fortune to maintain.

ETA-that has Toyota motor which is a plus

Seriously looked into payments on the new Lamborghini SUV.  Wife says she’d be totally fine with me going for it.  It would be my car/our weekend car (I train commute during the week, she has her own SUV).  It’s pretty bad ###. 

Really just want to do it so I can ask my wife before a run to Target with the kids “should we take your car, or the Lambo?” 

You better not get rid of that Scout.  Unless you sell it to me for pennies on the dollar of course.

This is on my radar too. I'm thinking more retromod classic muscle car. 
Also been jonesing for one of these.  My main gating factor has been a place to keep them; my ‘79 Scout is in the garage, and although it’s a two car garage technically, it would be tight to squeeze in two, and then we’d have no room for the kids’ crap. But if not for that, I’d probably get a restored 1970 Challenger (saw a purple one on Mecum recently that I loved), another scout, and I’d leave room for a new Bronco when it comes out. 

you can buy an used Trackhawk for 80k.  Pull the trigger on something already

Otis said:
Also been jonesing for one of these.  My main gating factor has been a place to keep them; my ‘79 Scout is in the garage, and although it’s a two car garage technically, it would be tight to squeeze in two, and then we’d have no room for the kids’ crap. But if not for that, I’d probably get a restored 1970 Challenger (saw a purple one on Mecum recently that I loved), another scout, and I’d leave room for a new Bronco when it comes out. 
My brother has a '70 Challenger R/T in purple.  Fun car.

Otis said:
I saw that one on Mecum. It's high on my list as well. I would be happy with a lot of options. Camaro, Mustang, 442, Firebird, replica Cobra, GTX, Galaxy, Baby Bird, but could also go with a British import: Austin Healey, XKE, Morgan +8. 

I guess the closest I came to owning an exotic car in real life was my 1980 Toyota Celica Supra. I had it for 8 years and instead of seeing the bigger picture and put money into brining it back to like new, I traded it in for a 94 Chevy Cavalier, which served me well but wasn't near the machine my Toyota would have been in the long run.

I think it's tough to identify the current cars that will stand the test of time/stay in demand over time, so I stick to the vintage stuff for my wish list. A couple of the more 'exotic' ones on my list would be a '35 Auburn 851 and a '67 Toyota 2000GT (as seen in You Only Live Twice).  There are others, but there are also a lot of them out there, so I don't consider them for this list, except the Shelby Cobra and the Ford GT40, both of which I also would add replicas of as desirable as well.

I guess the closest I came to owning an exotic car in real life was my 1980 Toyota Celica Supra. I had it for 8 years and instead of seeing the bigger picture and put money into brining it back to like new, I traded it in for a 94 Chevy Cavalier, which served me well but wasn't near the machine my Toyota would have been in the long run.

I think it's tough to identify the current cars that will stand the test of time/stay in demand over time, so I stick to the vintage stuff for my wish list. A couple of the more 'exotic' ones on my list would be a '35 Auburn 851 and a '67 Toyota 2000GT (as seen in You Only Live Twice).  There are others, but there are also a lot of them out there, so I don't consider them for this list, except the Shelby Cobra and the Ford GT40, both of which I also would add replicas of as desirable as well.
I think the answer there is the Viper. The 80's and 90's were abysmal for cool cars. Pickens were slim. I believe the viper is the car to invest in right now. And any late 70's, early 80's Broncos, Jimmy's and Toyota SUV's.

And out of nowhere, I saw an early 90's Acura Integra go for $60K on Barrett Jackson, followed by a Toyota SR5 pickup go for $55K (think Back to the Future truck that Marty winds up with at the end)

For that $, you cannot beat a Corvette. Modified C7 or even a C6Z. Loved my C6Z. Was going to buy a C7 this time, but went Hellcat instead since I can drive the HC all year & really get my $s worth. If you live somewhere nice like FL, you can drive the Vette all year so buy now!!

Yeah, I mean for that money, I would buy a ZR-1 all day every day specifically this one w/14k miles on it   Linkage.  It will run with exotics, hold it's value and it won't kill you on maintenance and insurance costs.  There are other ZR-1's out there, this one just caught my eye, I would keep an eye on the Corvette Forums if you don't like this one.

Nah, my almost 6' friend had an Exige & he fit fine. Man, that car was super fun to drive.
I’ve sat in an Elise when considering them a while back, and at 6’ and a fairly fit ~200lbs it was highly uncomfortable. My head was touching the roof and it was a PITA to get in/out of. Admittedly I am long-torsoed. 

Perhaps it’s somehow different for an Exige, but I would avoid an Elise if you were any larger than 5’10” 160lbs. :lol:  

I’ve sat in an Elise when considering them a while back, and at 6’ and a fairly fit ~200lbs it was highly uncomfortable. My head was touching the roof and it was a PITA to get in/out of. Admittedly I am long-torsoed. 

Perhaps it’s somehow different for an Exige, but I would avoid an Elise if you were any larger than 5’10” 160lbs. :lol:  
Exige is a supercharged & cooler Elise, sir. ;)

You mean overpay for the 240 horses on the S2000 as opposed to the buck 80 on the Miata? One is a cute 2 seater convertible. One is a cute 2 seater convertible that screams. 
I've driven plenty of S2Ks. The screaming you hear is the laughter of those you drive by. Both are slow in a straight line. If you bought either for that, LOL @ you. They are built to turn. I have owned 3 Miatas, one being supercharged, and would take another over any S2K short of an LS swap, but even then give me the LS swapped Miata instead. I'm looking for another Miata, but turbo this time.

So yes, it is overpaying IMO. The S2K runs blistering 14s. Come on LOL

I've driven plenty of S2Ks. The screaming you hear is the laughter of those you drive by. Both are slow in a straight line. If you bought either for that, LOL @ you. They are built to turn. I have owned 3 Miatas, one being supercharged, and would take another over any S2K short of an LS swap, but even then give me the LS swapped Miata instead. I'm looking for another Miata, but turbo this time.

Ok, Miata boy. I've not driven both, but those I know who have swear by the S2K and laugh at the Miata. But that's just what I hear and it's emphatic. 

Meh. My wife owned a Miata.  I wish we'd held out and got an S2000.  I hated that Miata. Very uncomfortable and the only car that ever gave me motion sickness.  But yes, I get they are one of the only almost perfectly balanced cars, blah, blah blah.  Still like the 2000 better.

When I was a kid my dad had an '80-something Lotus Eclat. It was super fun to drive around with him but he said there was always something wrong with the electronics which made it a PITA. At another time we had a Porsche 911 which was a much better experience. My pops knows a lot about cars (he was a mechanic before becoming an engineer) and said if he were to do it again today he would buy a gently used Corvette. According to him they've improved a lot in the last 10-15 years.
Probably had a Lucas electrical system.  *shudder* Their headlight switch was famous for three settings, "dim", "flicker", and "off".

Users who are viewing this thread