What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Peterson gets suspended... (1 Viewer)

Birdnals

Footballguy
Given ADP's comments yesterday and his suspension history, I won't be shocked if the NFL decides to suspend him. If this is the case, and Thompson remains injured, is there anyone in Washington's backfield worth owning? Who is picking up those 1st and 2nd down carries? Curious if the Redskins homers know of any potential talent lurking on the depth chart there.

Full disclosure: ADP owner who traded away all my RB depth except AP to help strengthen the rest of my team for the playoffs yesterday morning

Last edited by a moderator:
Byron Marshall. He was recently activated and got 1 more snap than Kapri Bibbs last game. He had some preseason hype last year, too. 

He said he still uses a belt on his kid
Spanking their butt (without bruising them) is OK, but we're well past the time of the belt or switch.  I remember the days when your mom could use the entire tree on you :)

He will not be suspended for saying he is spanking with a belt.  It varies state to state, but many states just have the caveat that physical discipline can not leave marks or bruises.  

Suspended for something he said?  Seems doubtful 
Why do you say this? Players have been suspended for something others have said. Without proof. Here the guy is admitting to beating his child.

He will not be suspended for saying he is spanking with a belt.  It varies state to state, but many states just have the caveat that physical discipline can not leave marks or bruises.  
since when does the NFL care about state law, or even innocent until proven guilty, when it comes to suspension?

Leaving a red hand print on their butt is going to happen with a spanking.  I believe the issue is long term marks and bruises.   Perhaps if more children were disciplined by other than time-outs and give me your cell phone, or not at all, they wouldn't go into schools and shoot their classmates.  Just a thought.

Why do you say this? Players have been suspended for something others have said. Without proof. Here the guy is admitting to beating his child.

since when does the NFL care about state law, or even innocent until proven guilty, when it comes to suspension?
Where did he say he BEATS his kid with a belt?

Big difference between a slap on the butt with a belt and a BEATING. My son got a lick or two on the back of his jeans to get his attention about back talking his mom when he was six. Beating a kid on back of his bare skin and tearing or bruising it is abuse.

Post where Peterson said he "beats" his kid?

Where did he say he BEATS his kid with a belt?

Big difference between a slap on the butt with a belt and a BEATING. My son got a lick or two on the back of his jeans to get his attention about back talking his mom when he was six. Beating a kid on back of his bare skin and tearing or bruising it is abuse.

Post where Peterson said he "beats" his kid?
It was reported his son was found with cuts, bruises, etc. Peterson said he still disciplines him in the same manner. 

I'm all about giving my kid a potch on the rear end, and I've left a hand mark, but to use any kind of a tool- belt, switch, or other is over doing it. Play word games with it all you want, at the end of the day it is child abuse.

It was reported his son was found with cuts, bruises, etc. Peterson said he still disciplines him in the same manner. 

I'm all about giving my kid a potch on the rear end, and I've left a hand mark, but to use any kind of a tool- belt, switch, or other is over doing it. Play word games with it all you want, at the end of the day it is child abuse.
What is real abuse is letting your children grow up with the notion they can get away with anything, have no remorse or empathy, and end up with a self entitled view of the world having been told their whole lives how great they are when undeserved.  Only to find out the real world doesn't work that way and that they must fight and grind for their success rather than have it handed  to them on a silver platter.  You can call me a curmudgeon or old fart, but my generation didn't have to deal with school shootings.  The worst thing was you get into a fist fight with your friends to settle differences, then go build a fort together.   A little corporal punishment isn't the terrible thing that children of baby boomers makes it out to be.  Perhaps a look in the mirror and they will realize their methods aren't working, only making things worse.

Have you seen how young teens and adults treat the elderly the last 20 years?  Whatever happened to respecting your elders and helping them in a time of need rather than sneering and walking right through them in a crowded mall?  I'll tell you why, it's because they weren't disciplined correctly as a child.  Also, parents are always there to correct a dispute their children have with other children rather than let them resolve their own problems.  Too hands on in the wrong way IMO.  That's why kids have play dates now rather than let them go find Jimmy down the street and go play.

Having your children fear you a little bit isn't the bad thing post-baby-boomers make it out to be.

You think school shooters got “broken” by not being spanked? Weird, stance. Very weird stance.
No, I think school shooters developed as a result of no discipline as a child and not taught to love and respect other human beings and not to be so narcissistic. 

No, I think school shooters developed as a result of no discipline as a child and not taught to love and respect other human beings and not to be so narcissistic. 
Love and respect for other human beings is taught by being beaten by your parent.  Interesting theory.

Love and respect for other human beings is taught by being beaten by your parent.  Interesting theory.
You've been brainwashed into thinking corporal punishment is terrible. I'm not saying beat until unnecessary injuries occur either  In fact, children grow up respecting others and yes, they still love their parents.  Too many parents want to be buddies with their children and that is bad for them long term.  When I say children should have a "little" fear of their parents I meant it and it worked in raising good adults.  You can give kids all the love they can handle and still have them respect you and fear you a little.

getting hit with a belt on the butt isnt abuse IMO.

Of course there are extremes to everything...but someone saying they hit their kid w/ a belt is only going to raise an eyebrow to a niche group of people.

Im 36, and when I was a kid it seemed damn near everyone got a belt at least once or twice...and now all of a sudden its considered child abuse?

Different tangent but how "bad" are these kids? What on earth are they doing? Animal sacrifice? Satanic worship? Removing those "do not remove" tags from the sofa cushions?

Different tangent but how "bad" are these kids? What on earth are they doing? Animal sacrifice? Satanic worship? Removing those "do not remove" tags from the sofa cushions?
Just bad in the sense some grow up self-absorbed, self-entitled, not respecting others (especially their parents), having no empathy for others,  and are in shock when they get their liberal arts degree and can't find a job that pays them six figures.   Then they lose their mind.

Just bad in the sense some grow up self-absorbed, self-entitled, not respecting others (especially their parents), having no empathy for others,  and are in shock when they get their liberal arts degree and can't find a job that pays them six figures.   Then they lose their mind.
Who exactly are you describing? Most mass shooters don't have a college degree, let alone a "liberal arts" degree.

getting hit with a belt on the butt isnt abuse IMO.

Of course there are extremes to everything...but someone saying they hit their kid w/ a belt is only going to raise an eyebrow to a niche group of people.

Im 36, and when I was a kid it seemed damn near everyone got a belt at least once or twice...and now all of a sudden its considered child abuse?
It may not be "child abuse", but study after study shows that using a belt is bad parenting. It doesn't teach children to understand consequences -- it just teaches them that bullying is a good thing.

Who exactly are you describing? Most mass shooters don't have a college degree, let alone a "liberal arts" degree.

I'm not equating mass shooters with kids who get degrees.  Mass shooters is an extreme event.  I'm not saying all kids who are coddled and told how great they are all the time and become spoiled narcissistic monsters are going to go shoot up a school.  However, it is an example of bad parenting either way.

It may not be "child abuse", but study after study shows that using a belt is bad parenting. It doesn't teach children to understand consequences -- it just teaches them that bullying is a good thing.
What are your opinions on today's failure in parenting?  Do you think kids are just as respectful. feel no more entitled, and no more narcissistic today than children who grew up in the 70s and before?

The baby boom generation is being phased out. A lot of what they believed and taught has been shown to be irrelevant in today's society.

Harsh discipline may have been acceptable in past generations because antisocial bullies had a competitive advantage a workplace where education and problem-solving skills were unnecessary. But we don't live in that world anymore. 

The baby boom generation is being phased out. A lot of what they believed and taught has been shown to be irrelevant in today's society.

Harsh discipline may have been acceptable in past generations because antisocial bullies had a competitive advantage a workplace where education and problem-solving skills were unnecessary. But we don't live in that world anymore. 
Sorry if you just haven't gotten to it yet, but I'll ask again.  What are your opinions on today's failure in parenting?  Do you think kids are just as respectful. feel no more entitled, and no more narcissistic today than children who grew up in the 70s and before?

These values and behaviours aren't instilled through physical punishment. If this is someone's "go to" tactic to correct a kid's behaviour, they should probably reflect on their effectiveness as a parent. Dad coming home from a long day at work and beating away his kid's bad behaviour harkens back to the days when patients could smoke in their hospital rooms.

I'm not equating mass shooters with kids who get degrees.  Mass shooters is an extreme event.  I'm not saying all kids who are coddled and told how great they are all the time and become spoiled narcissistic monsters are going to go shoot up a school.  However, it is an example of bad parenting either way.
Then who were you talking about when you said that people "lose their mind" when they get a "liberal arts degree" and then "can't find a job that pays them six figures"?

Who are these people that lose their mind? And what exactly do they do when they lose their mind? You're implying that they do something bad. But if you look at studies of criminals, you'll see that people who have a liberal arts degree are the least likely to commit a crime, and people who have no college education are the most likely to commit a crime.

And it's not a coincidence that the people who have no college education are also the most likely to have been harshly disciplined as a child.

These values and behaviours aren't instilled through physical punishment. If this is someone's "go to" tactic to correct a kid's behaviour, they should probably reflect on their effectiveness as a parent. Dad coming home from a long day at work and beating away his kid's bad behaviour harkens back to the days when patients could smoke in their hospital rooms.
Parents coddle their children and solve all their problems for them.  They simply aren't as prepared for the big bad world as the kids who grew up in the 80s and before.  That's the biggest issue I have with today's parenting. 

And it's not a coincidence that the people who have no college education are also the most likely to have been harshly disciplined as a child.
link?  Also, a little bit of corporal punishment doesn't have to equate to harsh discipline.  Getting your butt whipped <> getting hit over the head with a belt buckle. 

Parents coddle their children and solve all their problems for them.  They simply aren't as prepared for the big bad world as the kids who grew up in the 80s and before.  That's the biggest issue I have with today's parenting. 
I believe kids are dumbasses until they aren't and every generation thinks the next one is "coddled". It's a constant that has endured (and will continue to endure) forever. 

I believe kids are dumbasses until they aren't and every generation thinks the next one is "coddled". It's a constant that has endured (and will continue to endure) forever. 
Yep, that's the easy response, but we both know it isn't true.  I don't think those who grew up during the depression were coddled.  Or those that missed their father in Vietnam.  Mothers that had to raise their children alone did not coddle their children before the 90s.  Did you notice that all changed when all corporal punishment was viewed as child abuse?  Now all a kid has to say is that, "I'll call child services if you hit me", so the parent just lets them have their way.  Parents today would much rather just have the peace and let their kids get away with things kids used to be punished for.   Also, parents would rather little fat johnny just sit on the couch and watch TV and play video games than say get the hell out of the house and go play.  Kids today cannot resolve conflicts with others  they way children used to be able to do because today's parents resolve all their problems for them.  They grow up to be adults that have problems resolving conflicts with work and everyday life.  Not saying this applies to all children born after 1990 but there has been a steady trend in this direction.  

Sorry if you just haven't gotten to it yet, but I'll ask again.  What are your opinions on today's failure in parenting?  Do you think kids are just as respectful. feel no more entitled, and no more narcissistic today than children who grew up in the 70s and before?
Today's children are more respectful than any prior generation, and today's parents are preparing their children for the future in ways that no prior generation ever did.

Children of the '50s were taught to respect their elders and bully their peers, and they were given virtually zero preparation for the adult world (unless they lived on a farm, in which case they were prepared for one thing and one thing only: farming). Today's children are better prepared for their future than their parents.

It's true that many of today's children feel "entitled" and "narcissistic". But those happen to be the two most dominant qualities of our current President, and his supporters love that he possesses those qualities. I say this not to make a political comment about whether narcissism is a good thing, but to point out that A) it's nothing new, and B) millions of non-children think it's a good quality to have.

link? 
Study: children who receive physical punishment are far less likely to graduate from college and are far more likely to be anti-social 

That's just from a quick search. There are more studies mentioned in this thread in the FreeForAll. The bottom line is that study after study after study consistently shows that children who receive harsh physical punishment are FAR less likely to become successful, well-adjusted adults.

Today's children are more respectful than any prior generation, and today's parents are preparing their children for the future in ways that no prior generation ever did.

Children of the '50s were taught to respect their elders and bully their peers, and they were given virtually zero preparation for the adult world (unless they lived on a farm, in which case they were prepared for one thing and one thing only: farming). Today's children are better prepared for their future than their parents.

It's true that many of today's children feel "entitled" and "narcissistic". But those happen to be the two most dominant qualities of our current President, and his supporters love that he possesses those qualities. I say this not to make a political comment about whether narcissism is a good thing, but to point out that A) it's nothing new, and B) millions of non-children think it's a good quality to have.
Respectfully, you are so wrong.  Yesteryear's kids were a lot more prepared for life than kids are today. .  Kids today are staying at home until into their late 20s or 30s.  Children didn't used to do that.  Young adults today are having a hard time taking care of themselves financially.  I wouldn't call that great preparedness.  More respectful today?   How could you say that with a straight face?  You probably didn't type it with a straight face.  

Study: children who receive physical punishment are far less likely to graduate from college and are far more likely to be anti-social 

That's just from a quick search. There are more studies mentioned in this thread in the FreeForAll. The bottom line is that study after study after study consistently shows that children who receive harsh physical punishment are FAR less likely to become successful, well-adjusted adults.
Those same kids graduating from college are still living at home until into their late 20s and 30s.

What is real abuse is letting your children grow up with the notion they can get away with anything, have no remorse or empathy, and end up with a self entitled view of the world having been told their whole lives how great they are when undeserved.  Only to find out the real world doesn't work that way and that they must fight and grind for their success rather than have it handed  to them on a silver platter.  You can call me a curmudgeon or old fart, but my generation didn't have to deal with school shootings.  The worst thing was you get into a fist fight with your friends to settle differences, then go build a fort together.   A little corporal punishment isn't the terrible thing that children of baby boomers makes it out to be.  Perhaps a look in the mirror and they will realize their methods aren't working, only making things worse.

Have you seen how young teens and adults treat the elderly the last 20 years?  Whatever happened to respecting your elders and helping them in a time of need rather than sneering and walking right through them in a crowded mall?  I'll tell you why, it's because they weren't disciplined correctly as a child.  Also, parents are always there to correct a dispute their children have with other children rather than let them resolve their own problems.  Too hands on in the wrong way IMO.  That's why kids have play dates now rather than let them go find Jimmy down the street and go play.

Having your children fear you a little bit isn't the bad thing post-baby-boomers make it out to be.
no, and I agree with a lot of what you said. I am pretty hard on my kids when it comes to punishment, but it doesnt mean I need to beat them with objects. 

Apparently AP beating his kids wasnt even enough because they're still awful kids if he has to keep doing it; it's not working. 

Nothing wrong with laying the law down when Kids act out of line... The new generation of Millennial's  are beyond Soft.... All the 17-25 years old dudes I hoop with are such wimps and call fouls on everything and act like Brats ... You can tell their parents never made them understand RESPECT 

Respectfully, you are so wrong.  Yesteryear's kids were a lot more prepared for life than kids are today. .  Kids today are staying at home until into their late 20s or 30s.  Children didn't used to do that.  Young adults today are having a hard time taking care of themselves financially.  I wouldn't call that great preparedness.  More respectful today?   How could you say that with a straight face?  You probably didn't type it with a straight face.  
You and I obviously have different ideas of what respect should be. It seems like you think that respect only needs to be shown towards elders, whereas I think respect should be shown towards everyone (and, sometimes, everything).

Children up through the '60s were taught to respect their elders and no one else. This lapse in parenting became a factor in generation after generation of increased bullying, racism, and domestic violence and other societal ills which we are just now starting to reverse.

Adrian Peterson is teaching his son to respect and fear Adrian Peterson. But he will go through life respecting and fearing no one else. His emotional growth will be stunted. I guess he'll move out of his parents house when he turns 18, so he'll be successful in that one lone regard. But we shouldn't be judging success or failure based solely on the age at which a child moves out.

You've been brainwashed into thinking corporal punishment is terrible. I'm not saying beat until unnecessary injuries occur either  In fact, children grow up respecting others and yes, they still love their parents.  Too many parents want to be buddies with their children and that is bad for them long term.  When I say children should have a "little" fear of their parents I meant it and it worked in raising good adults.  You can give kids all the love they can handle and still have them respect you and fear you a little.
No, I've been "brainwashed" into thinking child abuse is terrible.

What's astonishing is your notion that the way for a parent to teach their kid that violence is wrong (the mass shootings stuff) is to inflict violence upon them when they're young.

No, I've been "brainwashed" into thinking child abuse is terrible.

What's astonishing is your notion that the way for a parent to teach their kid that violence is wrong (the mass shootings stuff) is to inflict violence upon them when they're young.
No, I think good parenting encompasses a lot of things, but yes, I do believe corporal punishment when they are young (7-13) and within reason and control is a tool that should be in the toolbox.   My biggest complaint about parenting is that parents are too lenient with their kids, give them too much, and try and control every aspect of their lives.  They don't let kids learn how to solve their own problems.

You and I obviously have different ideas of what respect should be. It seems like you think that respect only needs to be shown towards elders, whereas I think respect should be shown towards everyone (and, sometimes, everything).  ---  No, I think respect should apply to everyone, not just elders

Children up through the '60s were taught to respect their elders and no one else.  -- Not true

Adrian Peterson is teaching his son to respect and fear Adrian Peterson. But he will go through life respecting and fearing no one else. His emotional growth will be stunted. I guess he'll move out of his parents house when he turns 18, so he'll be successful in that one lone regard. But we shouldn't be judging success or failure based solely on the age at which a child moves out.  -- No one knows what ADP's parenting skills will do with his children, nor do we know what other parenting skills he possesses, or doesn't posses.

No, I think good parenting encompasses a lot of things, but yes, I do believe corporal punishment when they are young (7-13) and within reason and control is a tool that should be in the toolbox.   My biggest complaint about parenting is that parents are too lenient with their kids, give them too much, and try and control every aspect of their lives.  They don't let kids learn how to solve their own problems.
They don't learn how to solve their own problems by getting hit with a belt.

What getting hit with a belt teaches them is the way to exact control over another person is through intimidation, bullying and violence.

Users who are viewing this thread