What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tips for managing more senior (ie older) people in the office? (1 Viewer)

At 30 i had a few people 10-20 years older report to me.

Now 40 i would say i have 10 direct reports and and oversee a shop that has probably 100 people older than me from 5-20 years my senior. 

I always treat everyone the same. I work for them.

Listen a lot more than you talk and specifically to the older people ask their advice on important issues. In many cases they are more knowledgeable than you, dont be affraid to understand that. Treat them with respect early and you will bank alot of admiration. Treat them like a doosh once and you probably lose them forever.

You treat them the same as you treat anybody else (assuming that you are a professional person to work with).  If you treat them any differently you risk making them feel weird and creating awkwardness in the workplace between the seniors/non-seniors.  I'm not trolling--but I do think it's a tad weird that you'd need to ask this.  

You treat them the same as you treat anybody else (assuming that you are a professional person to work with).  If you treat them any differently you risk making them feel weird and creating awkwardness in the workplace between the seniors/non-seniors.  I'm not trolling--but I do think it's a tad weird that you'd need to ask this.  
Good advice and good point.

I had a similar situation when I started my company. I was 35 when I started it, and I was hiring guys that were 50. I’ll admit it was a bit strange at first, but once I really settled into being the boss it came pretty easily. You’ll have to give them some deference, especially in your industry, but try not to let age be much of a factor. Just do a good job and no one will care.

Will they need much managing? If they are already doing their jobs well, it shouldn’t be bad.  If they need to make a lot of changes in performance, it will be hell.

Great advice from comfortably numb and Kutta.  I've been managing people older than me since I was mid-20's.  And I've promoted and managed many first-time young managers. You really must have a servants mentality and remember you're there to help them, guide them, inspire them, and never "tell" them anything. Always ask.  That's the most powerful thing to understand as a Leader.  Never tell, always ask. 

And keep a bowl of Werther's Originals on your desk.  Old people love them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone who has a problem with the new dynamics will be looking elsewhere and if they’re not they should be. You lead, they follow

I had a similar situation when I started my company. I was 35 when I started it, and I was hiring guys that were 50. I’ll admit it was a bit strange at first, but once I really settled into being the boss it came pretty easily. You’ll have to give them some deference, especially in your industry, but try not to let age be much of a factor. Just do a good job and no one will care.
Good stuff. Thanks GB 

Great advice from comfortably numb and Kutta.  I've been managing people older than me since I was mid-20's.  And I've promoted and managed many first-time young managers. You really must have a servants mentality and remember you're there to help them, guide them, inspire them, and never "tell" them anything. Always ask.  That's the most powerful thing to understand as a Leader.  Never tell, always ask. 

And keep a bowl of Werther's Originals on your desk.  Old people love them.
:Thumbup:

Now 40 i would say i have 10 direct reports and and oversee a shop that has probably 100 people older than me from 5-20 years my senior. 

Listen a lot more than you talk and specifically to the older people ask their advice on important issues. In many cases they are more knowledgeable than you, dont be affraid to understand that. Treat them with respect early and you will bank alot of admiration. Treat them like a doosh once and you probably lose them forever.
:hifive:

Will they need much managing? If they are already doing their jobs well, it shouldn’t be bad.  If they need to make a lot of changes in performance, it will be hell.
Everyone basically doing their job. Some infighting and difficult personalities in the group and disputes I’ll have to mediate between them,  but shouldn’t be too bad. 

Fifteen years ago this thread would have started with "So I've got this old guy working for me, he's 35 years old, not sure how to handle it..."

I would be careful always asking them what to do as then it gives them the impression you aren't ready for the job and it should be them. Your company obviously thinks you are ready so you need to take charge. In meetings, etc, give your opinion and explain yourself and then ask for their opinions but again, take charge of the meeting and lead it.

If I’m reading the original scenario correctly, going from peer to manager is probably the bigger challenge. Which means you should ease up for the advice just for the sake of advice. I have a couple managers who report to me who are older and I’ll defer to them on things that are their clear areas of expertise. They also seem to be better at remembering #### like birthdays, office holidays and better listeners for personal life stuff going on with the rank and file, so I steer that toward them.

Loyalize em. At fifty, the avg worker has stopped challenging people and, since their home is likely emptying out, would actually like to connect a little more. What's more, a worker that age has great fear about being made redundant, interrupting/cancelling/hurrying the retirement plans they've made. Tie them to your oars and they'll row for you all day.

Just treat them the same and with respect.

And remember that they all hate you and want your job.

You young whippersnapper.

At my job (been here 13 years), was hired at 25 and had 40-50 year olds under me.  It can be awkward when you are that young, but you are...what, like 50?...55? (at least based on looks/diet 😋).  You have experience and have moved upwards.  You are clearly the superior employee and/or revenue generator....so #### them, act like the stud that got the job and stop being a little #####.

I’ve always been a guy who defers to older people. I’m finding myself in a new position where people who are 5 or 10 years older and hired me out of school will be reporting to me. Not intended to be a HLAM post, but ok HLAM. Seriously though, how do you deal with this kind of situation, where guys who are older than you and wanted the management job will now be reporting to you?  TIA 

PS I’ve asked Keith to apply the script in here that Dodds enabled in the politics sub forum, that deletes any shtick posts and permabans. So BWIH 
This sounds like they were your superiors at one time (or at least equals).  This is a very hard dynamic to get through.  It will be more difficult than the age difference.  Depending on how your relationship was as equals/subordinate this could be very tough.  Open communication and treating everyone with respect by valuing opinions and explaining your decision making when necessary will go a long way. 

Team building activity #1 - Take them out in the parking lot and start throwing Ritz crackers.

Unless you think they will tear a rotator cuff or something.

Simple:  Post a chart outside your office which tracks total billables.  Every month fire the person on the bottom.  Replace them with soon-to-be jaded fresh young lawyers.

It is easier to hire employees that are older than you than to be promoted over senior employees who hired you or have been there long and are vying for the same promotion.

A manager's job is to enable and empower their employees to do their best work. If you do that well, they'll feel respected and will respect you.

Those that got passed over for you may already feel disrespected, so it may be an uphill climb. It may take some time or some may never come around. But ultimately, you win when others feel respected and feel like you're investing in them and you win respect by doing your job well and being fair/honest.

Simple:  Post a chart outside your office which tracks total billables.  Every month fire the person on the bottom.  Replace them with soon-to-be jaded fresh young lawyers.
Just to be known as a good guy, maybe give the person 2nd from the bottom a nice set of steak knifes?

This is a good post. What I would add is this: You are not there to manage people. You are there to coordinate them into their best positions in order to take advantage of each of their specific skills and preferences. It sounds like you have a lot of experience to work with and you should feel good about that--invite their input so they will feel involved. Sometimes their preferences may not match your needs--but that gives everyone a sense of being invested in the operation.

the first day you are in there you find the biggest toughest looking old guy and shank him with a letter opener and tell him yeah amigo im loco and then the rest of those jagbags will respect you take that to the bank brochacho

Users who are viewing this thread