What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Justin Jackson, RB Detroit (1 Viewer)

That's crazy, I had JJ in my flex this weekend just as a "maybe" but I'll go another direction...didn't know he was on the cut line in redraft...but yeah I guess so. 

Injury to either Ek/Gord and you got something...not many teams you can say that. If he is not playing vs Miami then you should part ways quickly. 

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Justin Jackson (calf) "could miss a few weeks."

Jackson is in a walking boot after going down at Thursday's practice. He's ruled out for this week and is likely looking at a multi-game absence. Jackson was headed for a reduced role with Melvin Gordon ending his holdout, so there's no reason for the Chargers to rush him.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 27, 2019, 5:11 PM ET

Given Jackson's INJ situation, it sure sounded to me (from Coach's presser) like Melvin Gordon could see some action in week 4.

I was liking him as a bench hold/flex if im in a pinch but with injury & gordon back im dropping him for ingrams cuff (which i believe is gus edwards)

The Athletic's Daniel Popper reports the Chargers are "still very high on" third-year RB Justin Jackson.

Specifically, Popper notes the Chargers "like that one-two punch" of Austin Ekeler and Jackson, with Jackson sliding into Melvin Gordon's old role, albeit at a reduced workload than Gordon.  Jackson's problem in the NFL to this point has been an inability to stay healthy.  He's missed 12-of-32 possible games since being taken in the seventh round of the 2018 draft.  Popper doesn't expect the Chargers to add any running backs before the late rounds of this month's draft, making Jackson an intriguing late-round fantasy pick right now.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Apr 8, 2020, 12:33 PM ET

Chargers RB Justin Jackson's "leash won't be long" as the team's No. 2 back, according to The Athletic's Daniel Popper.

His main competition is fourth-round rookie Joshua Kelly. Jackson posted an absurd 6.9 yards per carry last season as the team's No. 3 back, but only played in seven games due to calf and hamstring injuries. Popper notes that Jackson should be the first option in the backfield when Austin Ekeler lines up in the slot or outwide.

Jun 15, 2020, 3:08 PM ET

JUSTIN JACKSON RB, LOS ANGELES CHARGERS

Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson both received first-team reps during the Chargers' in-house scrimmage.

Ekeler, of course, received the start in the scrimmage, but Justin Jackson also worked in with the first-team offense that was led by Tyrod Taylor. Rookie running back Joshua Kelley didn't play until Justin Herbert and the second-team walked onto the field, and even then, Jackson played ahead of him. This has been the expected running back rotation, but it's worth reminding that The Athletic's Daniel Popper believes Jackson's leash as the Chargers No. 2 running back "won't be long." Given Kelley's limited offseason reps, Jackson could begin the year with some standalone value in deeper fantasy leagues.

RELATED: 

Joshua Kelley

, Austin Ekeler

Aug 18, 2020, 8:50 PM ET

Chargers coach Anthony Lynn said RB Justin Jackson (hamstring) will be "fine" for Week 1 against the Bengals.

Jackson was notably working ahead of Joshua Kelley with the first-string offense at camp before suffering a hamstring injury in late August. Kelley reportedly shined with the additional opportunity but could still open as either the 1B behind Austin Ekeler or, worst case scenario, in a timeshare with Jackson. It's not an actionable position to take in Week 1, but the fallout could lead to a 12-touch back down the stretch. Ekeler remains a locked in RB1 no matter how the situation shakes out behind him.

SOURCE: Daniel Popper on Twitter

Sep 7, 2020, 4:33 PM ET

Chargers RB Justin Jackson (quad) is doubtful for Week 2 against the Chiefs. 

Jackson played 11 percent of the Chargers' offensive snaps last week against the Bengals and saw two carries. If he's out for Week 2, rookie RB Joshua Kelley becomes an ever-so-slightly better fantasy start against Kansas City. As big underdogs, it's unlikely LA will be able to run the ball all that much with Kelley and Austin Ekeler. Kelley played 24 percent of LA's Week 1 snaps, getting 12 carries. He seems to be the team's preferred goal line back. 

RELATED: 

Joshua Kelley

, Austin Ekeler

SOURCE: Jeff Miller on Twitter 

Sep 18, 2020, 3:16 PM ET

Chargers RB Justin Jackson (quad) has yet to resume practicing. 

Jackson remains without a timetable for a return. With Joshua Kelley putting a stranglehold on No. 2 duties in Jackson's absence, Jackson is safely droppable in re-draft leagues. 

Sep 24, 2020, 4:52 PM ET

Justin Jackson rushed 15 times for 71 yards and caught 5-of-6 targets for 23 yards in the Chargers' Week 5 loss to the Saints.

In the first game without Austin Ekeler (hamstring, I.R.), it was Jackson who handled 20 touches to Joshua Kelley's 12 and out-gained the rookie 94 yards to Kelley's 38. On this game alone, Jackson looked like the far superior talent. Health has just always been Jackson's question in the NFL. Ekeler is expected to miss several more weeks. Jackson looked like he could be the guy in his absence and will have some RB2/FLEX appeal following the Chargers' Week 6 bye when they take on the Jaguars the following week.

Oct 12, 2020, 11:51 PM ET

Super frustrating for Kelley owners.  He definitely looked like the better back but I think they'll even out a bit more next game.

Nathan Jahnke @PFF_NateJahnke

Chargers final RB snap count (out of 71 snaps)

Justin Jackson 42 (59%)

Joshua Kelley 25 (35%)

Troymaine Pope 4 (6%)
https://twitter.com/PFF_NateJahnke/status/1315865537419898881

The game script raged from close game to possible blowout to close game. That's very encouraging for Jackson... Kelley got most of the goal line reps back but Jackson started and worked a majority of 3rd downs... getting those passing reps  elevates his floor bigtime.

If you examine the numbers, Kelley's role didn't change too much; it's just that Jackson took about 90% of the Austin Ekeler role.

I'm in some tight roster constrant here. I want to pick up Jackson as I now need an RB with Cook out and his bye coming up as I only have Henderson right now. I also don't know how hurt Keenen Allen is and hoping its an injury with his back with the upcoming bye helps. The one guy in my league picked up Mattison a day or 2 before the SNF game after all waivers went through or else I had a chance of getting Mattison. Jackson is on a bye this week and not a lot of guys I'd be willing to drop. I have 3 QBs on my roster in Ben Rodgers and Hubert. Thinking I should trade one of them. It's a 5 man keeper league with 16 roster spots and maybe trade Ben for some RBs. Even a high flex low end RB2 possible 

What are people’s thoughts on Jackson this week? Limping along at the running back position and trying to find. A serviceable RB2 on the trade market. 20 touches last week is nothing to write off, and I thought he looked like the better back on the field.

What are people’s thoughts on Jackson this week? Limping along at the running back position and trying to find. A serviceable RB2 on the trade market. 20 touches last week is nothing to write off, and I thought he looked like the better back on the field.
I am hoping his usage stays the same and I don't see why it wouldn't. honestly i was surprised to see Kelley get pushed aside, but then before the season it was assumed Kelley is the clear third back in the pecking order so coaches saw something they like in Jackson. i figure i'll ride the wave. he could be in line for a couple of long breakaway plays against this defense i think.

I picked him up last week hoping for flex value going forward and yesterday realized he's the only healthy/non-bye back on my roster with my fa market bone dry.

so starting with confidence. 

If I did rankings, he'd be in my top-20 this week. Good player, looked clearly more effective than Kelley, and has a top notch matchup.

If I did rankings, he'd be in my top-20 this week. Good player, looked clearly more effective than Kelley, and has a top notch matchup.
Yeah, I think I agree. Plus a recently traded for Ekeler on Saturday by giving away some running back depth, so I might as well land him if I can.

Has anyone heard any news on Jackson regarding the injury?  I am pleasantly amused that somehow there seems to be no info so far in our rapid-information world.

This might be a bit assistant coach forum related, but if Jackson is out for a stretch of time, does anyone have any insights on Trumaine Pope vs. Kalen Ballage?  I realize that we're digging really deep here.

Has anyone heard any news on Jackson regarding the injury?  I am pleasantly amused that somehow there seems to be no info so far in our rapid-information world.

This might be a bit assistant coach forum related, but if Jackson is out for a stretch of time, does anyone have any insights on Trumaine Pope vs. Kalen Ballage?  I realize that we're digging really deep here.
I know nothing other than he left a zero for me on the point scale. Must of been hurt stepping on the field.

I know nothing other than he left a zero for me on the point scale. Must of been hurt stepping on the field.
He got hurt the first play of the game. Waldman posted a video of the play on Twitter. freak play where a lineman rolled up on his leg and he injured that knee. He made of glass and people should just move on. 

Justin Jackson (knee) won't play in Week 10 against the Dolphins.

Jackson was held out of practice throughout the week and should be considered 'questionable' heading into Week 11. The team will re-call Kalen Ballage from the practice squad and lean on a committee featuring Joshua Kelley, Troymaine Pope (concussion, questionable), and Ballage against a Dolphins defense sans both Kyle Van Noy and DT Christian Wilkins (COVID). There's no real way of predicting how Los Angeles' backfield will shake out, but odds are one of Pope or Ballage lead in touches while Kelley continues handling fruitful touches inside the 10-yard line.

SOURCE: Gilbert Manzano on Twitter

Nov 13, 2020, 2:09 PM ET

Chargers placed Justin Jackson (knee) on injured reserve.

Los Angeles promoted Kalen Ballage from the practice squad in a corresponding move. Fantasy players should expect the Chargers to lean on a committee featuring Joshua Kelley, Troymaine Pope (concussion, questionable), and Ballage against a Dolphins defense short run-stuffing DT Christian Wilkins (COVID). There's no real way of predicting how Los Angeles' backfield will shake out, but odds are one of Pope or Ballage lead in touches while Kelley continues handling fruitful touches inside the 10-yard line.

- Gilbert Manzano

Last edited by a moderator:
i "think" its his knee...but everything i've read has more to say about Ballage, Kelley, & Pope, but very little substance about Jackson himself. 
Yeah, the knee has definitely been mentioned, but no indication at all whether it’s meniscus, ligament, tibial plateau, or anything at all specific.  He somehow hurt it during warmups last week, played one play and came out of the game, no one ever said what the actual injury was, then he was not practicing and going to “rest” this Sunday, and now suddenly on IR.

Yeah, the knee has definitely been mentioned, but no indication at all whether it’s meniscus, ligament, tibial plateau, or anything at all specific.  He somehow hurt it during warmups last week, played one play and came out of the game, no one ever said what the actual injury was, then he was not practicing and going to “rest” this Sunday, and now suddenly on IR.
You're absolutely correct; there's been no indication of what it is with his knee that's ailing him.

I have him in my 3-yr keeper league, but debating if I should drop him or hold...

Justin Jackson (knee, I.R.) returned to practice Wednesday.

It opens his 21-day window to return from I.R., as the Chargers has designated Jackson to return. When Jackson is back, he should leap Joshua Kelley and Kalen Ballage as Austin Ekeler's main running mate, but that's been a carousel position all season for the Bolts.

Dec 9, 2020, 3:17 PM ET

Chargers activated RB Justin Jackson (knee) from injured reserve. 

Jackson has not played since Week 8, when he handled 17 carries for 89 yards while adding 3/53 as a receiver. In the interim, Austin Ekeler (hamstring) has returned from injured reserve and the Bolts have seemingly fallen in love with Kalen Ballage. We would not just assume Jackson immediately slots back in as the 1B back behind Ekeler, but his return is certainly a grave threat to Ballage. It could also make Joshua Kelley a healthy scratch, though Troymaine Pope will also be a candidate. Despite showing some juice between injuries this season, Jackson cannot be trusted as a re-draft option for the first week of the fantasy playoffs. 

Dec 12, 2020, 4:21 PM ET

Sports Illustrated's Fernando Ramirez noted that Justin Jackson is taking "higher-up reps" at training camp.

Ramirez also indicated that Jackson appears to be "second in command" behind Austin Ekeler. The news that Jackson is taking higher-up reps comes as a bit of a surprise after there were murmurs he was on the roster bubble earlier this offseason. Los Angeles has a crowded backfield with Joshua Kelley and sixth-round rookie Larry Rountree in the mix as well, but whoever emerges could be fantasy-relevant considering Ekeler ceded goal-line carries last year and has never averaged more than 11.6 carries per game.

RELATED: 

Joshua Kelley

, Larry Rountree

SOURCE: Sports Illustrated

Aug 5, 2021, 5:58 PM ET

FWIW the Athletic beat writer for the Chargers, Daniel Popper, had Jackson being the odd RB out for the final roster. However, he had only 3 RBs making it, and I think that is questionable. If Jackson stays healthy from now until final cutdowns, I think he makes it. The big question then will be whether or not he can stay healthy during the season.

Justin Jackson rushed 13 times for 86 yards in the Chargers' Week 15 overtime loss to the Chiefs, adding a 13-yard reception. 

The 14 touches were easily a new season high for Jackson after he also posted a new season high last Sunday with 10. Tonight's increased usage was a function of Austin Ekeler not being 100 percent with an ankle issue, though Ekeler still out-touched Jackson. J-Jax showed off his chunk-play ability with gains of 15, 13, eight, eight, 22 and 15 yards. He might be worth getting more involved down the stretch, but obviously not at the expense of Ekeler. Another 10-plus touches are likely in the cards for next week's blowout-script setup with the Texans. 

Dec 17, 2021, 12:47 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread