What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrel Williams - Arizona (3 Viewers)

From the Demian Willy thread, as these quotes belong here as well...

Sharkpool saved my ### from another Andy Reid drubbing. Darrel Willy is the new DWilly. 

Bigboy10182000 said:

Any idea how long Williams could miss as well? Ruling him out so early in the week felt like this could be a multiple week injury.

On 9/21/2019 at 8:31 PM, Truebluey said:

Don't worry mate. It's a nothing burger.  Which I guess means a serious bone bruise that is too painful to practice or play on for at least a week's duration.

On 9/21/2019 at 9:43 PM, LawFitz said:

They said Rodgers had a bone bruise in his knee last year after his week 1 mangling by the Bears. It was revealed after the season that he actually had a small tibial plateau fracture. How he played on that knee all season is beyond me. If Williams has anything close to that, he will be out for weeks at least. They've been super cryptic about it so far, which I sleuth to mean it's a worse injury than they've let on.

If he were fine, I think they'd have come out and said that. They've been releasing all the good news about TyFreek's injury but have been eerily silent about DWilly and then a report surfaced late this past week about him limping considerably. Yikes.
On 9/18/2019 at 7:29 PM, LawFitz said:

Why am I sensing a Darrell Williams ascension coming soon just to really muther eff everyone.

Maybe it's because I was one of the fool's holding the Spencer B. Ware bag last year when DWill swooped.

I own both McCoy and MGD and can see big Andy getting me once again.
On 9/22/2019 at 11:21 PM, LawFitz said:

Fool me once, Fat Andy, shame on you.

Sharkpool saved my ### this morning. Read the blurb about Darrell Dub starting and swooped him in 2/2 leagues with the quickness at 9:57a, dropping the short stack rookie. MGD, I barely knew ye.

:Ear to the ground. Hand on the wire:

:hifive:

Let's see how this pans out for us. 

I can't say this wasn't a mistake, but impossible to really predict long term use for either of these guys given the backfields they are in. 

At the very least, one is on the upswing (Williams, given he may be involved at least one more week if Shady/DWill can't go) and one is on the downswing (Mostert, with Coleman returning and Mostert's carries should by all likelihood go down).
For middle of the season help this works for me! 

"A thing that Williams also brings to the table is speed, he was one of the NFL’s fastest ball carriers on Sunday, reaching a top speed of 20.88 MPH against the Ravens. For someone listest at 5-feet-11 and 224 pounds, that’s really impressive."
:popcorn:

As die hard fans were oppressed having to look at 40 times lol. How the #### do they not strictly go off MPH in the college game?! This dude ran a 4.66 - 4.71 40 time. The NFL is disgraceful. Can’t put a little money into new tech for athletic measurables. 

As die hard fans were oppressed having to look at 40 times lol. How the #### do they not strictly go off MPH in the college game?! This dude ran a 4.66 - 4.71 40 time. The NFL is disgraceful. Can’t put a little money into new tech for athletic measurables. 
Not to get off subject but I find the over-reliance on 40 times and Combine stats to be an excellent inefficiency to capitalize on in dynasty/keeper leagues.  Keep it going!

The combine isnt just about workouts, I assume some NFL teams care more about tape and they use technology. 

We are not in the room, we dont know what teams do, but I would guess the combine is more about teams meeting players and watching them work out as well as checking out health concerns.

I get the feeling Andy really likes this kid. 

Last edited by a moderator:
To be fair, you could say game speed is a combination of the 40 & MPH. Darrel's 40 is no doubt affected by not being as quick as other RBs, but his long speed seems more than respectable.

In general, the 40 is an overvalued metric. It has its place, but they should do it in pads with a helmet on, preferably while carrying a ball. Running it in what is essentially track gear is a joke. Some guys just carry the equipment/ball better.

Not to get off subject but I find the over-reliance on 40 times and Combine stats to be an excellent inefficiency to capitalize on in dynasty/keeper leagues.  Keep it going!
Since you got us off-topic...

Completely agree, and I think it extends to the institution of the combine in general.

Seems combine was instituted in the days where data and consistency of collecting it were absent, so the combine put everyone in the same place subject to the same conditions under more controllable circumstances. From that standpoint, totally get the purpose.

But even still, the reliability on these measurables are simply indicators, not proof of future performance, and I have no idea if there are studies that prove correlation of better combine scores equaling better overall performance (there is certainly a correlation between combine and draft position).

The rise of so many great players who weren't invited to the combine, didn't qualify as they came from unheard-of-programs, UDFAs coming out of the blue (or even out of other sports) to be studs seems to me to also be directional in showing the combine really isn't the best gauge of how a player might fare in the NFL.

Obviously who knows what’s happening but what I could see develop is McCoy continue to be the run/pass swing guy for the early part and Darrell come in to close and ease up on Shady. Win/win.

I genuinely hope Damien is *ok* because this is his *one shot to be a big time player in the league.

• Thanks
Reactions: ATB
Tough one. Own him in dynasty, which is great. Re-draft is tough though. Picked him up today, dropping my kicker so someone will need to go before the weekend. I’m almost considering Breida because I just have a feeling about Darrel, and I can’t see anyway that Breida takes over a larger role this season. Darrel’s ceiling could be huge if Damien is injury bitten 

Tough one. Own him in dynasty, which is great. Re-draft is tough though. Picked him up today, dropping my kicker so someone will need to go before the weekend. I’m almost considering Breida because I just have a feeling about Darrel, and I can’t see anyway that Breida takes over a larger role this season. Darrel’s ceiling could be huge if Damien is injury bitten 
I did this myself. Maybe I get lucky after the bye and get him back. Maybe I don’t need to worry about it because of what happens with Darrel. We’ll see!

Max MPH is very deceiving too.  It doesn't measure as long of a burst.  Wind can also be a factor like with sprinting.  Players also get "pushed" by defenders and teammates.

Since you got us off-topic...

Completely agree, and I think it extends to the institution of the combine in general.

Seems combine was instituted in the days where data and consistency of collecting it were absent, so the combine put everyone in the same place subject to the same conditions under more controllable circumstances. From that standpoint, totally get the purpose.

But even still, the reliability on these measurables are simply indicators, not proof of future performance, and I have no idea if there are studies that prove correlation of better combine scores equaling better overall performance (there is certainly a correlation between combine and draft position).

The rise of so many great players who weren't invited to the combine, didn't qualify as they came from unheard-of-programs, UDFAs coming out of the blue (or even out of other sports) to be studs seems to me to also be directional in showing the combine really isn't the best gauge of how a player might fare in the NFL.
The committee that picks combine invitees could improve...  I'll say that... 

Max MPH is very deceiving too.  It doesn't measure as long of a burst.  Wind can also be a factor like with sprinting.  Players also get "pushed" by defenders and teammates.
Agree on the ‘max’ of MPH. I just think it’s even BS they restrict next gen stats. Why not make it available to have a full catalog of touch MPH? People would be able to average it out by position, by weight, by height... heck even could do wind direction and other weather conditions  as factors. Go crazy just like we’re able to do with everything else that’s ever been introduced statistically. 

The NFL is putting a ton of money into advanced metrics. NCAAF isn't because...not enough money? Okay, more likely there is no RoI for the NCAA, so maybe they want the NFL to subsidize that investment?

The combine isnt just about workouts, I assume some NFL teams care more about tape and they use technology. 

We are not in the room, we dont know what teams do, but I would guess the combine is more about teams meeting players and watching them work out as well as checking out health concerns.

I get the feeling Andy really likes this kid. 
40 times are to keep us entertained.

Breida is getting 15 touches/game. He got 15 when Coleman was in the lineup and 13 & 17 without Coleman. I think he's a lock for that volume. More importantly he is maximizing his opps, 5.5 per rush and 9.3 per reception. It seems like every time I see him touch the ball he's gashing defenses for 10+ yards.

And Shanahan's offense is historically RB friendly. I think most likely of us remember how Reid seemed to always just not quite maximize what we thought Brian Westbrook could produce.

I like the KC backfield but, until we get clarity on Damien I'm going with Breida without question. Coleman's return isn't going to impact his workload in the least. 

And the Cone of Uncertainty begins Week 4...things impacting the direction and strength of this storm include Damien Williams bone bruise reports, Shady McCoy's on and off again lower leg injuries typically involving knees and ankles which most 31 yr old RBs tend to have, and of course what Andy Reid had for breakfast. 

I think Damien's performance and production thus far would be a big factor but it seems to be glossed over.

And the Cone of Uncertainty begins Week 4...things impacting the direction and strength of this storm include Damien Williams bone bruise reports, Shady McCoy's on and off again lower leg injuries typically involving knees and ankles which most 31 yr old RBs tend to have, and of course what Andy Reid had for breakfast. 

I think Damien's performance and production thus far would be a big factor but it seems to be glossed over.
Damien's? I think you mean Darrel's.

The NFL is putting a ton of money into advanced metrics. NCAAF isn't because...not enough money? Okay, more likely there is no RoI for the NCAA, so maybe they want the NFL to subsidize that investment?
I guess my point is more so they act afraid of it. Why post JUST the max MPH? What is there to hide? Let people see the metrics and work out the correlation. There is this weird culture in the league where the smart teams don’t complain about it because they get the edge from these types of blind spots and the ####ty teams don’t ##### about it because they don’t know it’s a blind spot.

I guess my point is more so they act afraid of it. Why post JUST the max MPH? What is there to hide? Let people see the metrics and work out the correlation. There is this weird culture in the league where the smart teams don’t complain about it because they get the edge from these types of blind spots and the ####ty teams don’t ##### about it because they don’t know it’s a blind spot.
The crappy teams still make most of the money of a good team due to the TV deals, so winning isn't really that big of an incentive?

Less than 1% chance unless Shady and Damien leave the country 
I don't see him becoming the feature back but I also don't think Damien Williams had as much of hammerlock on the feature back role as many of us thought this off-season. My guess is if McCoy had not been signed Darrell would be getting 12-15 touches/game all along with the possibility of flipping his role with Damien.

I think it is still possible, greater than 1%, that Darrell passes Damien and/or McCoy on the depth chart. Particularly as Darrell seems to be the only legitimate hammer on the team.

I don't see him becoming the feature back but I also don't think Damien Williams had as much of hammerlock on the feature back role as many of us thought this off-season. My guess is if McCoy had not been signed Darrell would be getting 12-15 touches/game all along with the possibility of flipping his role with Damien.

I think it is still possible, greater than 1%, that Darrell passes Damien and/or McCoy on the depth chart. Particularly as Darrell seems to be the only legitimate hammer on the team.
The poster I quoted wrote ‘bellcow’. I don’t see it 

I am not sure I get your point. I am 100% certain that every NFL team has complete access to all of the data from these new "Next Gen" stats they are tracking (and touting in commercials).

Is your issue that they are not providing the raw data to the public? Or is it they aren't working, as far as we know, to bring these metrics to the college game?

Users who are viewing this thread