What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is rock dead? (2 Viewers)

Obviously there will always be bands playing in garages and clubs but will it ever have mainstream appeal again?

Has it gone the way of jazz and will only be a niche genre of music?
plenty of decent rock out there, but the kids are not into it so what. Newer acts I like:

Rival Sons

Tyler Bryant & the shakedown

Volbeat

Gojira - (real heavy)

Power trip

plus Foo fighters and Alice in Chains (with a new singer I know) putting out good stuff

I recommend seeing Drive-by Truckers or Guided by Voices before weighing in about the state of rock and roll. Rock is safe and sound with those two alone, never mind many, many others. It's just not hand-fed to you anymore.
I'm sure Guided by Truckers can really rock it up but in 2019 bands like that don;t register with people under the age of 33. 

Ilov80s said:
I'm sure Guided by Truckers can really rock it up but in 2019 bands like that don;t register with people under the age of 33. 
Sure they do. Not in the numbers before the internet and satellite radio when rock and roll was all over the radio and MTV, but plenty of younger people can handle looking around for good music. Rock and roll can never die. The man said so.

It's funny to think but to a young person today, 70s rock like Pink Floyd, Bad Company or The Velvet Underground is 45 years in the past. If you were in HS in 1979, that is the equivalent to you hearing Gershwin, Artie Shaw and Al Jolson music. 

It's funny to think but to a young person today, 70s rock like Pink Floyd, Bad Company or The Velvet Underground is 45 years in the past. If you were in HS in 1979, that is the equivalent to you hearing Gershwin, Artie Shaw and Al Jolson music. 
Good music doesn't go away 

saw The Struts in Charlotte earlier this month, holy crap Rock is not dead, they are fantastic. And the lead singer did a solo on the piano of Queen's Don't Stop Me Now and if you were blind and in attendance you would have sworn that was Freddie singing it. They, IMO, are the best young rock band on the planet right now. Stage presence is outstanding and they just have fun the entire time. 

saw The Struts in Charlotte earlier this month, holy crap Rock is not dead, they are fantastic. And the lead singer did a solo on the piano of Queen's Don't Stop Me Now and if you were blind and in attendance you would have sworn that was Freddie singing it. They, IMO, are the best young rock band on the planet right now. Stage presence is outstanding and they just have fun the entire time. 
👍Love The Struts, have seen them 4 times now and they're amazing!

Rival Sons

Volbeat

Greta Van Fleet

St. Agnes

Claypool Lennon Delirium

Band of Skulls

Danko Jones

Slash & Myles Kennedy

All Them Witches

New Year's Day

The Sword

Anyone mention Coheed and Cambria yet? 

Judas Priest meets The Doors have a child and raises that child on planet Pink Floyd. 

We all go to Rocklahoma on Memorial day weekend.  😎

I'm still recovering from last week.

Rocklahoma 2019 schedule

Seether, Disturbed, Korn, Jackyl, Shinedown, Slaughter, Lita Ford, Ace Frehley, Steel Panther, Buckcherry

Ozzy was supposed to headline Sat night. When he injured his back, Korn stepped in.

Don't get me wrong, I own a Korn album, but when I heard it coming from the locker room in Mohawk Valley CC when I was playing club hockey for school, I was actually feeling old and was frightened for the youth.

eta* I was twenty-two then.

Last edited:
I miss New York and I miss the music
Me and my friends, we miss rock 'n' roll
I want **** to feel just like it used to
And baby, I was doing nothing the most of all
The culture is lit
And if this is it
I had a ball
I guess that I'm burned out after all

If this is it, I'm signing off...

Last edited:
Same here. I think it's their best since the Black Album. Gonna be a lot of detractors, though.

Musically it's strong and a nice return to their thrash roots. Hetfield's vocals are the weak link imo.
I think his vocals sound great on the new album. :shrug:

If anything is the weak link, it's Kirk's solos. It's the same pentatonic licks 90% of the time.

Yeah, I noticed that as well. It’s the same dang solo over and over.

I thought rock had a chance when guitar hero and rock band came out.

all the kids knew those songs.

no one stepped up :frown:

American rock doesn’t seem to be doing too well. Who are some of the biggest American rock bands to come out in the last 5 years?

American rock doesn’t seem to be doing too well. Who are some of the biggest American rock bands to come out in the last 5 years?

Well, it's been more than five years, but Greta Van Fleet is on an arena tour at the moment.
I’m not a fan but good for them. I think my point is it’s hard to think of new, popular American rock bands. They aren’t getting much traction. Contrast that to decades past when there were constant streams.

I’m optimistic about what’s happening in the U.K. and Ireland but it just doesn’t seem to be happening here.

Maybe I’m missing some bands, though. That’s part of why I asked the question.

There's a resurgence, but it's underground, really.

You have fifty people and an algorithm sitting around writing corporate pop songs for corporate pop stars. That's some stiff competition from the casting couch to the public.

Users who are viewing this thread