What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Approaching women at the gym/ yoga class? (1 Viewer)

bosoxs45

Footballguy
Do you think it's fair game to approach strangers and chit chat? How has the #metoo movement affected pick up culture?

Do you think it's fair game to approach strangers and chit chat? How has the #metoo movement affected pick up culture?
From the conversations I've heard, women have this ranked just slightly above "getting severe diarrhea on the rowing machine" in terms of things that can happen to them at the gym.

I'm old and married and haven't dated in billions of years, but maybe just use Tindr/Bumble/Grindr/etc? :shrug:

It's fine as long as you can take a hint. If they're not into it you need to back off quickly. Dating websites have their place, but nothing wrong with trying to meet people in public settings.

I have nothing to add outside of this one time, this cute older than me girl at the gym came over to start a convo. She asked my name and told me she loved my facial hair. We chatted for 30 secs or so and then it got to the awkward phase. I said nice to meet you and went back to the next set as she stood there and then walked away. I was too young and stupid to realize she might have thought I was cute. Im shocked to this day that I have a wife and kids. What a loser I was. 

I have nothing to add outside of this one time, this cute older than me girl at the gym came over to start a convo. She asked my name and told me she loved my facial hair. We chatted for 30 secs or so and then it got to the awkward phase. I said nice to meet you and went back to the next set as she stood there and then walked away. I was too young and stupid to realize she might have thought I was cute. Im shocked to this day that I have a wife and kids. What a loser I was. 
Was?

Generally nobody wants to be bothered at the gym. If there's some eye contact going on, that's different, but to just approach? Nah. 

my kid swims on saturday mornings at the local Y. the changing room is right off the gym area. i've seen plenty of awkward attempts over the years. so bad. 

women in a full sweat, wearing workout clothes, just trying to get out of there without getting noticed... just... let them be. maybe you see them out at a bar, or at the farmer's market and you chat them up but my god, not at the gym.

AcerFC said:
Was?

;)

Do not hit on women at the gym. Ask them for a spot, struggle on rep 10, tell them an emotional story after they save you. Thank me later. 
Yeah.  The best approach is to not act interested, but instead if the opportunity arises to provide help or ask for help, but in a totally innocent manner with no hint of hitting on them.  

jwb said:
Generally nobody wants to be bothered at the gym. If there's some eye contact going on, that's different, but to just approach? Nah. 
This. If you are going to flirt with someone at the gym, there needs to have been some natural build up to it. 

If you do a class multiple times (spin, group, whatever), approach a hot one that you've had class with before and say, "HEY!  IT'S ME, MARK!  THAT LAST CLASS WAS A DOOZY, HUH?  LET'S HOPE THIS ONE IS EASIER!  CAN I BUY YOU DINNER TOMORROW?"

I have picked up women from the gym.  It always seemed to start off by saying hello a few times and then brief conversation.  You never interrupt their workout.  Eventually, I asked them out as we were leaving the gym together.  Never drag out the conversation since your goal is to get them to go out with you, not make them uncomfortable if they are not interested. 

People tend to make friends or at least get to know other goers at least a little bit.  Seems like that helped me.  The women saw me in the gym many times and were comfortable enough to talk to me. 

The drawback is when the relationship ends.  Be ready for some awkwardness in the gym since she may not like you much.   

my gf goes to the gym daily for workout classes and pretty much has a tale every other day of guys who approach her.     Just yesterday she heard "where did you buy that body from!" and another guy's shtick who works at a chocolate factory is to bring her new bags of fresh chocolate chips every few weeks.    

my gf goes to the gym daily for workout classes and pretty much has a tale every other day of guys who approach her.     Just yesterday she heard "where did you buy that body from!" and another guy's shtick who works at a chocolate factory is to bring her new bags of fresh chocolate chips every few weeks.    
Start hiding chocolate chips

Not okay imo. General rule to live by is to not hit on or ask someone out somewhere that is a part of their routine, where it is a burden to avoid you or just say no without awkwardness. Aka at work or the gym, mostly. The caveat about obvious eye contact and/or flirty chatter applies, though that's the exception imo. But don't be the guy who asks out the barista/waitress just doing their job or the woman just trying to get her workout in. 

and another guy's shtick who works at a chocolate factory is to bring her new bags of fresh chocolate chips every few weeks.    
I know waitresses that actually encouraged this type of behavior. They bring home the free goodies to their husbands and kids. Sometimes they share with other employees or lucky regulars such as me. 

To piggyback off the gym question, can someone help me out if this is the new thing to prevent hitting on women in the gym.

A girlfriend and boyfriend walked in the gym right in front of me. We only have 3 treadmills and all were in use, however a separate woman only had 4 mins left. The boyfriend hopped onto an elliptical and the girlfriend was sort of hovering behind the treadmills. I decided not to wait the 4 mins to see if she was going to use it so I simply asked her if she was going to use it when it opened up. She said yes so I decided to go upstairs to get on a spin bike. As I'm walking away the boyfriend makes a nasty face to her and asks "What did he just say to you?" 

10 mins later they both come upstairs and into the room with the bikes. She starts doing abs and light weights as the boyfriend just sits on the hardwood floor 3 feet from her and never takes his eyes of me for 25 mins. I will say, the guy way out kicked his coverage so good for him, but if he is that overprotective of her I feel very sorry for her.

They left the gym after the 25 minute staredown so what was the point of him even being in the gym for those 35-40 mins? I've noticed plenty of people of both genders being in the gym solely to take a selfie and leave, but never a boyfriend doing what he just did. Is this common these days?

When I'm on my way out of the gym and walk by a cute girl in tights, I point at her and say, "You're with me, Lycra," and keep walking.

To piggyback off the gym question, can someone help me out if this is the new thing to prevent hitting on women in the gym.

A girlfriend and boyfriend walked in the gym right in front of me. We only have 3 treadmills and all were in use, however a separate woman only had 4 mins left. The boyfriend hopped onto an elliptical and the girlfriend was sort of hovering behind the treadmills. I decided not to wait the 4 mins to see if she was going to use it so I simply asked her if she was going to use it when it opened up. She said yes so I decided to go upstairs to get on a spin bike. As I'm walking away the boyfriend makes a nasty face to her and asks "What did he just say to you?" 

10 mins later they both come upstairs and into the room with the bikes. She starts doing abs and light weights as the boyfriend just sits on the hardwood floor 3 feet from her and never takes his eyes of me for 25 mins. I will say, the guy way out kicked his coverage so good for him, but if he is that overprotective of her I feel very sorry for her.

They left the gym after the 25 minute staredown so what was the point of him even being in the gym for those 35-40 mins? I've noticed plenty of people of both genders being in the gym solely to take a selfie and leave, but never a boyfriend doing what he just did. Is this common these days?

Just a weird encounter you had, not some trend. There are weirdos everywhere. 

I used to go to an LA Fitness and most of the people there were college age kids. It was definitely a social/possibly dating scene. Girls would roll up in full makeup. The bros would walk around with there gallons of water and flex. Funny stuff.

A similar thing happen to me in college. I was at the school gym (I never go to the gym) messing around on the pectoral machine thing. A cute Asianed girl I had a class with started a conversation with me and put her hand on my shoulder for balance as she did leg stretches. I didn't know what to say so I asked about homework and papers. I probably could have made some EY juniors if I wasn't so dense.

I used to go to an LA Fitness and most of the people there were college age kids. It was definitely a social/possibly dating scene. Girls would roll up in full makeup. The bros would walk around with there gallons of water and flex. Funny stuff.
Gallon of water guy never gets any. 

Guys...the context of the post is approaching women AT A CLASS.  In this case, it's perfectly acceptable.  I go to some classes fairly often and see the same group of regulars. There is plenty of socializing before and after class.  I've approached women after class, "hey, I see you here quite a bit.  My name is Trout".  To the hot yoga girl, "Nice Bird of Paradise.  Not a lot of us can do that one".  Nothing creepy about that at all.  Never had someone be totally put off.  When i see them at the gym, outside of class we exchange greetings.  I'm friends with a couple of them on social media.

I'm married, so my end game isn't to date or sleep with them.  But if i were single, approaching women at a class would be golden.

That being said, do not approach women when they're on the gym floor with earbuds in.  That's a huge signal that they don't want to be bothered.  Easbuds=stop sign.

Last edited by a moderator:
Start sleeping with Willy Wonka

I think it's better to actually go out of your way to not talk to girls at the gym.  Even go so far as to avoid eye contact, working out next to them, and try to completely ignore them in general.  If they're into you they'll find you more mysterious and intriguing. And if they're not into you, there's nothing you're going to say in the middle of the gym that will change their mind.

Guys...the context of the post is approaching women AT A CLASS.  In this case, it's perfectly acceptable.  I go to some classes fairly often and see the same group of regulars. There is plenty of socializing before and after class.  I've approached women after class, "hey, I see you here quite a bit.  My name is Trout".  To the hot yoga girl, "Nice Bird of Paradise.  Not a lot of us can do that one".  Nothing creepy about that at all.  Never had someone be totally put off.  When i see them at the gym, outside of class we exchange greetings.  I'm friends with a couple of them on social media.

I'm married, so my end game isn't to date or sleep with them.  But if i were single, approaching women at a class would be golden.

That being said, do not approach women when they're on the gym floor with earbuds in.  That's a huge signal that they don't want to be bothered.  Easbuds=stop sign.
That's completely different.  You're a married regular and just being friendly.   You're not hitting on them and they can sense that.

do you have other friends at the gym, including male ones? it helps for them to see you interacting with other people also, so they know you at least have some social skills...not someone who just comes to the gym to leer. it doesn't have to be weird talking to people in the gym, no weirder than talking to them in Target or the post office, as long as you have some rules.

married now, but my general rules were:
* if they have on headphones/earphones, don't bother them
* if they're in the middle of a set or something else active, don't bother them
* if they're interacting with someone else, don't bother them
* if they have a generally b###y resting face, don't bother them
* if you make eye contact and they give any sort of smile...GAME ON!

He was hitting on you.

NTTIAWWT

Users who are viewing this thread