What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (1 Viewer)

To be fair to Henderson, and the entire offense in general, there is not a coach in the NFL who dislikes the preseason more than McVay. He never uses any starters, and runs a very vanilla playbook. Maybe the 3rd preseason game will tell us something, but I'd be surprised if the Rams offense did anything the rest of the preseason.

To be fair to Henderson, and the entire offense in general, there is not a coach in the NFL who dislikes the preseason more than McVay. He never uses any starters, and runs a very vanilla playbook. Maybe the 3rd preseason game will tell us something, but I'd be surprised if the Rams offense did anything the rest of the preseason.
Rams 1st preseason game last year John Kelly had 13 carries for 77 yards.  Not sure why Henderson had a dud tonight, hopefully it’ll get better for him.

I hope the unrealistic hype due to overdrafting Henderson will fade after this dismal performance, he really looked overmatched out there.

I hope the unrealistic hype due to overdrafting Henderson will fade after this dismal performance, he really looked overmatched out there.
Lol I just watched his touches. 7 yard run, buried by 4 guys deep in the backfield for a loss, tackled right away on a screen pass, nice 7 yard run where he spun free and fell forward for the final couple yards, buried by a DT at the line of scrimmage. Overmatched!

Lol I just watched his touches. 7 yard run, buried by 4 guys deep in the backfield for a loss, tackled right away on a screen pass, nice 7 yard run where he spun free and fell forward for the final couple yards, buried by a DT at the line of scrimmage. Overmatched!
Where?

Love Hendermans, but don't understand his redraft value.  If he's going 6th-7th round in a dynasty start up then I'm on board, but for this year he's still a backup.  You can still grab a Peyton barber type in the 7th who will at least get you gaurenteed touches for this season.

Love Hendermans, but don't understand his redraft value.  If he's going 6th-7th round in a dynasty start up then I'm on board, but for this year he's still a backup.  You can still grab a Peyton barber type in the 7th who will at least get you gaurenteed touches for this season.
I'd only grab Henderson in the 7th in redraft if I have two to three RBs already. At that point I'm shooting for upside. Barber does not give me that. Henderson could if Gurley goes down. But his performance last night was sad.

I'd only grab Henderson in the 7th in redraft if I have two to three RBs already. At that point I'm shooting for upside. Barber does not give me that. Henderson could if Gurley goes down. But his performance last night was sad.
Yeesh did you actually watch? How he looked night aside, where he was buried right from the start on his 3 negative plays, you aren’t drafting him to run into a stacked box with Blake Bortles and Brandon Allen at qb. You’re drafting him because the Rams have mentioned repeatedly they want him in a satellite back role, meaning mismatches in space when Cooks, Kupp, Woods have pulled defenders away and he’s isolated with a LB. And they may not show that in the preseason. The one passing play he had, the left tackle whiffed on the block and he got planted. Whitworth isn’t missing that block and then Henderson is in space where we can see what he can do.

Yeesh did you actually watch? How he looked night aside, where he was buried right from the start on his 3 negative plays, you aren’t drafting him to run into a stacked box with Blake Bortles and Brandon Allen at qb. You’re drafting him because the Rams have mentioned repeatedly they want him in a satellite back role, meaning mismatches in space when Cooks, Kupp, Woods have pulled defenders away and he’s isolated with a LB. And they may not show that in the preseason. The one passing play he had, the left tackle whiffed on the block and he got planted. Whitworth isn’t missing that block and then Henderson is in space where we can see what he can do.
No I did not watch. I have seen the reports in how they want to use him which hopefully does become true. My point there was that I'd rather have Henderson than someone like Barber because of the upside. It's also hard to see what his guy can do if he's not getting playing time with the first them offense that wouldn't miss those blocks. That's what I love about this game we play. You have to read into things and speculate. I still like this guy in redraft.

No I did not watch. I have seen the reports in how they want to use him which hopefully does become true. My point there was that I'd rather have Henderson than someone like Barber because of the upside. It's also hard to see what his guy can do if he's not getting playing time with the first them offense that wouldn't miss those blocks. That's what I love about this game we play. You have to read into things and speculate. I still like this guy in redraft.
Agreed I’m 100% with you in having little interest in a guy with Barber’s level of upside at that spot. I’m sure Henderson will get run with the first team O assuming they actually play those guys some. Still don’t know if we’ll see him used in the passing game in the preseason like he’s expected to be used and has been used reportedly during camp. McVay may not show that.

I really like the 3rd-6th round wrs this year, I've drafted a handful of teams that I feel have two wr1 and a wr2 upside.  Means at 7 a guy who will give me gaurenteed (albeit bad) carries as my backup rb is what I'm looking for instead of upside at the position.

God almighty we live in a microwave society, where everything must happen instantly or it's no good.  Damn Millennials :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wasn't commenting toward you directly, just a general statement how people judge so quickly now days.
yes it's just 1 game. 2 and it's a trend. 3 and I'd get very worried. However it is also the preseason too. the hype is still pretty high, so if he continues the poor showings it's probably the last opportunity to sell at his current price. 

I'm not advocating one way or the other for now, because as you said it's just 1 game 

yes it's just 1 game. 2 and it's a trend. 3 and I'd get very worried. However it is also the preseason too. the hype is still pretty high, so if he continues the poor showings it's probably the last opportunity to sell at his current price. 

I'm not advocating one way or the other for now, because as you said it's just 1 game 
It was a bad game because he got blew up due to poor blocking a couple of times?

I wouldn't put a lot of stock into all of the preseason games when evaluating one player, especially RBs.  Most of the time they are playing around other players who may not even make the team, or is headed to the practice squad.  We won't be able to truly evaluate Henderson until the regular season, and when we do so, you have to also compare what kind of blocking other RBs are getting as well.  A RB not named Barry Sanders or O J Simpson, is only has good as his OL most of the time.

It was a bad game because he got blew up due to poor blocking a couple of times?
I do agree with Johnny above, but to be fair, one of the knocks on Henderson was that people commented that he was given big holes to run through in college and never had to "create" his own yardage. 

I'm not abandoning ship, just taking and updating my notes 

⁸Funny how some drink the koolaid on DH to no end, and when he comes out with an uninspiring effort his first time out, they rush to his defense. Look I own the guy in a couple of leagues, I'm trying to look at this objectively.  He's been hyped ridiculously mostly due to situation, and he was disappointing in game 1. These are the facts, of course I hope to see improvement going forward, but I'll continue to be a realist.

⁸Funny how some drink the koolaid on DH to no end, and when he comes out with an uninspiring effort his first time out, they rush to his defense. Look I own the guy in a couple of leagues, I'm trying to look at this objectively.  He's been hyped ridiculously mostly due to situation, and he was disappointing in game 1. These are the facts, of course I hope to see improvement going forward, but I'll continue to be a realist.
This

I'm optimistic at this point however 

A RB not named Barry Sanders or O J Simpson, is only has good as his OL most of the time.
Actually Juice wasn’t that good in his first 3 years. After they drafted a few guys & the line gelled, had as good of prime years as ever seen.

Most people gave up on Mixon his rookie year BECAUSE YPC. But if you watched the tape you could see he was the real deal. Ditto for Gordon (for years.)

(haven’t watched the film yet so IDK but I’m also not overly concerned. Barry once ran for (-10) on 13 attempts in a playoff game. Getting stuffed happens.

I’ll wait until the first half of PS game three to form an opinion. Games are meaningless, play calling is vanilla, starters sitting out, et al.

You never know though. He could just be trying not to get hurt in preseason. Some guys have more to prove than others, especially if you're 3rd string defensive player. He's probably just out there looking to hit a seam if he can, but probably not trying to get hurt.

Definitely think there's a difference when there is more meaning behind the games. Do you run harder on a run that takes you to the playoffs or a run that is in a vanilla preseason game?

You never know though. He could just be trying not to get hurt in preseason. Some guys have more to prove than others, especially if you're 3rd string defensive player. He's probably just out there looking to hit a seam if he can, but probably not trying to get hurt.

Definitely think there's a difference when there is more meaning behind the games. Do you run harder on a run that takes you to the playoffs or a run that is in a vanilla preseason game?
I'm not defending overreacting to 1 week, I've made it pretty clear where I stand, but I'd say it's very concerning if a rookie isnt giving it his all on every play... even in the preseason

Randy Moss
did he do this as a rookie? I know he did during his many years in the league, and would take plays off in game. It lead to several teams being uninterested in him when he was a FA and it took one of the GOAT to revive his career. 

Sure, if rookies want to try and be the next exception Randy Moss go for it... I think it's safe to say, in general, taking plays off or not giving your all is not a good look for rookies. 

I agree that it's only one game, but that was bad. Last year Ronald Jones bad. The Raiders aren't all that on D. Henderson should get plenty of chances to show something this preseason. I have the #5 in a rookie draft and was considering him there, but if he lays another egg I'll go a different direction. Tough to argue with his college production and track meet highlight reel, but my concern was that it wouldn't translate to the NFL. Maybe it will take time, but he needs to show something for me to be comfortable taking him with a top 5.

To me it’s an easy decision if he’s there at the 7.10/8.03. At that juncture he’s my RB4, so if he’s a total bust it’ll be an easy drop if I can’t package him.

Even though I have a broad range of players I’m “targeting”, seems like most of my byes will end up being Weeks 7, 9, 10 (6 teams), & 12. The evaluation period from my perspective is the next three months not PS game two & three.

In the last 25 years I’ve drafted a ton of guys in the 8th who didn’t work out like I hoped. Roster construction is an ongoing process in redraft; between trades and WW pickups, it’s not unusual to turn over 5-7 picks. Not gonna be a fatal mistake and who knows, might even work out. WR4s who become 2s and RB4/5/6s who become FF starters are pure joy & frequently a key component to winning championships.

I agree that it's only one game, but that was bad. Last year Ronald Jones bad. The Raiders aren't all that on D. Henderson should get plenty of chances to show something this preseason. I have the #5 in a rookie draft and was considering him there, but if he lays another egg I'll go a different direction. Tough to argue with his college production and track meet highlight reel, but my concern was that it wouldn't translate to the NFL. Maybe it will take time, but he needs to show something for me to be comfortable taking him with a top 5.
Gurley's first game - 6 rushes, 9 yards

I understand what Casting Couch is saying. Henderson has gotten a lot of hype. I love the guy but even I feel like people have talked him up too much.

I did not get to see the game and I appreciate Cobblers description of that.

At this point I kind of welcome Hendersons value taking a hit. Maybe that will make him more affordable.

J Moyer @JMoyerFB

Darrell Henderson has admitted difficulty adapting to a zone heavy Rams’ scheme after running mostly gap runs at Memphis. Zone runs rely on vision, processing & patient, controlled footwork to access whichever hole pops open. Pre-Week 1 showed DH has much work to do.

Context Matters @dwainmcfarland

(1/2) #Rams Darrell Henderson update Had same play marked in #Rams game notes Notable - DH told RB coach he was going to improve knowing O better (more zone than Memphis) last week and said, "got to relax and slow down and play."

DH Runs: Power: 2 for 14 Yds  Zone: 4 for -1 Yd

2/2 Gurley & M Brown inactive along w Goff, Woods, Cooks... John Kelly worked first then Henderson, both played into third. Early, but current version of DH more limited in application to field than originally thought. Role will shrink w/out ability to be applied diversely.

6 catches in his one half of action last night. I only saw 3 of them and none of his carries. The catches I saw were:

26 yards on a wheel route. Well designed play and something we saw him do in college. I’m a little surprised they showed that in preseason. He catches the ball naturally down the field and was way too fast for Jaylon Smith to keep up with. Ran a nice route too, properly angled.

Short gain on a flat out route. Looked like he lined up stacked in the slot. Terrible throw was behind him but he was able to twist to reach behind him and catch it. Nice hands.

7 yard gain on a 3rd and long dump off. Looked like the pass was tipped but he caught it with ease. Tackled right away.

Takeaways: as a player it confirmed that he is a very good receiver. Probably a top tier guy in terms of catching the ball. Nice route on the wheel route. Dying to see him run an option route like the one Darwin Thompson ran week 1. He hasn’t had much space to do anything with it afterwards (other than the wheel route) so can’t tell much about what he can do after the catch but that should change when the OL is playing and Kupp/Woods/Cooks are taking away attention. It should set a nice floor for his dynasty value as he can fill the role of a high end satellite back at minimum. For redraft who knows. I got my first share yesterday in the mid 8th. Remains to be seen how much action they intend to get him as a receiver in real games. Hoping the Kamara type usage is true. 

I didn’t see any of his runs this game. Saw he started with 3 carries for 1 yard, finished with 15 yards on his last 3. Rams as a team have 44 carries for 124 yards (2.8 ypc) so they aren’t doing anything with anyone. Henderson had his first 3 carries with Rams backups against a lot of Cowboys starters. There’s a lot of buzz on Twitter about him needing to slow down to diagnose the hole on his inside zone reads. We’ll see when there’s actual blocking and other weapons on the field lightening the box.

Is it telling that Malcolm Brown didn't play? 

As a guy with Gurley in dynasty, I'm feeling less and less pressure to aggressively go after Henderson.  I'd like to have him.  But I'm also assuming his value cools a lot as the season progresses and he becomes a fine buy low guy.

As a guy with Gurley in dynasty, I'm feeling less and less pressure to aggressively go after Henderson.  I'd like to have him.  But I'm also assuming his value cools a lot as the season progresses and he becomes a fine buy low guy.
IMO it's clear Henderson will be involved as a pass catching back, but that might be his ceiling. A Theo Riddick type player. Unless Gurley goes down. 

That means some possible great games and some stinkers

Sure, he could have a Kamara role but we havent see that yet largely due to the OL looking horrible with the backups. Maybe next week

I don’t think it means anything that Brown didn’t play other than he’d been around for a couple years. I expect Henderson to have stand alone ppr value even without a Gurley injury. Brown will need an injury. It would be a gamble that Henderson will be a buy low later. If you’re in a ppr league and he’s splashing as the receiving back his value could easily go up. And if Gurley misses any time...

IMO it's clear Henderson will be involved as a pass catching back, but that might be his ceiling. A Theo Riddick type player. Unless Gurley goes down. 

That means some possible great games and some stinkers

Sure, he could have a Kamara role but we havent see that yet largely due to the OL looking horrible with the backups. Maybe next week
Maybe splitting hairs here but I think we did see a Kamara like role last night. He caught 6 balls in a half of action. He just didn’t have the Kamara results because 1. Kamara is really good and 2. The Rams didn’t put anything around him. Of course who knows what happens when Gurley is there because Kamara never had someone like that to be the lead guy.

Maybe splitting hairs here but I think we did see a Kamara like role last night. He caught 6 balls in a half of action. He just didn’t have the Kamara results because 1. Kamara is really good and 2. The Rams didn’t put anything around him. Of course who knows what happens when Gurley is there because Kamara never had someone like that to be the lead guy.
He hasnt looked good rushing all preseason and is reportedly struggling in practice. However, I wont read into it because the backups are in. But Kamara typically gets a healthy amount of rushes. 

I'm encouraged by his use in the passing game, but as long as Gurley is healthy I think it's much more like Detroit with Riddick than New Orleans with Kamara. Which isnt bad, but hardly the ceiling of his potential 

He hasnt looked good rushing all preseason and is reportedly struggling in practice. However, I wont read into it because the backups are in. But Kamara typically gets a healthy amount of rushes. 

I'm encouraged by his use in the passing game, but as long as Gurley is healthy I think it's much more like Detroit with Riddick than New Orleans with Kamara. Which isnt bad, but hardly the ceiling of his potential 
Reportedly struggling with one aspect of the Rams blocking scheme in practice. Very possible, I have no idea what will happen as well when Gurley is playing. I suspect that he’s a good enough runner that the Rams will take advantage of the lighter boxes he’ll force by using him in the run game too.

Users who are viewing this thread