What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Darrell Henderson, LAR (5 Viewers)

Why would you ever consider Hillman? He shouldn't even be rostered IMO.
Because barkley and Gallman are out? 

Who else do you suggest I play along side Mixon:

Ty Johnson

Dare Ogunbowale 

Darrell Henderson (seen 1 carry all season- maybe that changes this week)

Brian Hill

Saquon Barkley (out)

Wayne Gallman (out)

Mark Walton (Q)

Devine Ozigbo (inactive likely, just looking for a guy to drop him for but none yet)

Darius Guice (IR)

Rodney Anderson (IR)

28 man rosters, the WW is picked bare. 

Hilliman stands to start tonight at least.  :shrug:  I didnt think it was an absurd option. In fact, League Dominator told me to roster and start him this week. 

I can wait and see what happens with Gurley and Dare can be my fall back. Hes good for about 5 points which is better than zero. 

With having no rb2 this week, and Engram out, I may get my first loss (beat the 3rd highest score of the week last week thanks to Robbie Gould and the football gods... my luck likely runs out this week)

Last edited by a moderator:
Obviously there are a lot of examples of rookie running backs who were fantasy forces from game 1 onward.  And there are a lot of examples of rookie running backs who took half a season or more to get going.  Henderson not getting snaps to begin the year doesn't even come close to precluding him from being fantasy elite later in the season.  A healthy Gurley is the only serious hurdle.
How can you say that Gurley is the only hurdle when Henderson is firmly behind Brown too? Henderson has only been in on 2 snaps - he’s not even a handcuff.

We may not have much insight into the details, but there is a reason he’s not playing, something he’s not bringing to the table that they expected him to when they drafted him. I highly doubt that is remedied by an injury to Gurley. 

Henderson is young and his dynasty owners shouldn’t cut bait yet, but I see no reason for redraft optimism. Most redraft rosters aren’t big enough to roster 3rd stringers.

How can you say that Gurley is the only hurdle when Henderson is firmly behind Brown too? Henderson has only been in on 2 snaps - he’s not even a handcuff.

We may not have much insight into the details, but there is a reason he’s not playing, something he’s not bringing to the table that they expected him to when they drafted him. I highly doubt that is remedied by an injury to Gurley. 

Henderson is young and his dynasty owners shouldn’t cut bait yet, but I see no reason for redraft optimism. Most redraft rosters aren’t big enough to roster 3rd stringers.
2019 Henderson owners should go have a beer with 2018 John Kelly owners.

Not saying he is any good but Hiliman did play 65% of the snaps for the Giants in their most recent game.
I guess if he is an emergency sub sure. But he's the definition of fungible asset. Biodegradable to the max. In reading @Dr. Dan's nightmare league scenario I suppose he's worth a spot start. But IMO when you're staring down the barrel of starting a guy like this, it's time to make a trade.

I guess if he is an emergency sub sure. But he's the definition of fungible asset. Biodegradable to the max. In reading @Dr. Dan's nightmare league scenario I suppose he's worth a spot start. But IMO when you're staring down the barrel of starting a guy like this, it's time to make a trade.
Tried. I offered Corey Davis for Chris Thompson... 

No one is trading any RBs. I could maybe get McCoy for a 3rd. 

At this point I'm willing to take my week 6 lumps and come back week 7 with saquon and Mixon. I have a 2 game lead in the division. I was lucky enough to win last week so I wont get greedy

I dropped my kicker, Matt Bryant, for Henderson.  I can pick up Prater on Monday night if I need it to win.  Neither my opponent nor I have any other players going on Monday so I will go without a kicker unless I am trailing.  I will be taking the risk that someone could pick up Prater to block me.  My opponent doesn't  have any players to drop to pick Prater up.  High point scorer gets $50 so I might have to pick up and start Prater to win that.

I dropped my kicker, Matt Bryant, for Henderson.  I can pick up Prater on Monday night if I need it to win.  Neither my opponent nor I have any other players going on Monday so I will go without a kicker unless I am trailing.  I will be taking the risk that someone could pick up Prater to block me.  My opponent doesn't  have any players to drop to pick Prater up.  High point scorer gets $50 so I might have to pick up and start Prater to win that.
Now we’re all emotionally invested. I think I speak for everyone when I say please provide a running update and how your team does

Shocked there isn't more hype going into the weekend. Gurley is all but OUT this week, makes you wonder about the following week. 

Rams have a Bye in Week 9, after the Niners they have two easier games in Atlanta and Cinci, combined 1-9 record, it's possible Gurley isn't used much until they come back in Week 10...could Brown hold the job down by himself? I doubt it but anything is possible. 

It would appear as though there is some kind of light now shining in this direction with the injury bug popping up. 

Cone of Uncertainty...I'm starting to smell a TS Warning or Watch being posted tonight along the Treasure Coast, here we go!

Shocked there isn't more hype going into the weekend. Gurley is all but OUT this week, makes you wonder about the following week. 

Rams have a Bye in Week 9, after the Niners they have two easier games in Atlanta and Cinci, combined 1-9 record, it's possible Gurley isn't used much until they come back in Week 10...could Brown hold the job down by himself? I doubt it but anything is possible. 

It would appear as though there is some kind of light now shining in this direction with the injury bug popping up. 

Cone of Uncertainty...I'm starting to smell a TS Warning or Watch being posted tonight along the Treasure Coast, here we go!
Also curious about the lack of hype.

This could be the beginning of the end for Gurley and the beginning of the beginning for Henderson.

May take some time, but the LAR didn't invest an early 3rd on this guy for no good reason.

This could be the beginning of the end for Gurley and the beginning of the beginning for Henderson.

May take some time, but the LAR didn't invest an early 3rd on this guy for no good reason.
I don’t think I’d start digging Gurleys grave just yet 

Gurleys grave was dug last offseason.  He's halfway in it. 

Henderson should be doing a lot more than he has so far.  Let's see him get some game action before we judge, but I'm always concerned when coaches don't seem to like a guy enough to get him on the field. 

He could double his yards for the year. Wait 2x0 is still 0. 

RB 15 in ppr, 7 pts from top 10
Yep, and now comes the enjoyment for Gurley owners of trying to guess how much workload he gets in each and every game once he returns.  My guess?  Not as much as the max 16 carries he’s been limited to ever since he was injured last year.

Take it for what it's worth, but Torry Holt, who struck me as pretty locked in with the Rams organization still, was on Cowherd's show a few weeks back and spoke pretty highly of Henderson and thinks he will shine once he gets opportunities. 

Take it for what it's worth, but Torry Holt, who struck me as pretty locked in with the Rams organization still, was on Cowherd's show a few weeks back and spoke pretty highly of Henderson and thinks he will shine once he gets opportunities. 
I believe it. Like a previous post pointed out, you don't burn a 3rd round pick on a guy to warm the bench for Malcome Brown.

Is there footage of Henderson picking up and laying out blitzing linebackers in college? Usually the last thing that keeps rookie RBs from serious play time.

Yep, and now comes the enjoyment for Gurley owners of trying to guess how much workload he gets in each and every game once he returns.  My guess?  Not as much as the max 16 carries he’s been limited to ever since he was injured last year.
Anyone that drafted him this yr knew what they were getting into, imo

#Rams played Todd Gurley on a season-high 93% of snaps last Thursday night, he picked up a quad injury be Seattle, now not going to play on a long week.

On the field:

* Career-low 4.9 yards/reception

* 4 straight games below 4.0 yards/carry

* 8 straight games below 20 touches

https://twitter.com/evansilva/status/1182747313980219394?s=21
The original post that I quoted pretty much stated that Henderson was going to take Gurleys job

Theres not a snowballs chance in hell of that happening, imo

Remember, the Rams cherry-picked Henderson as a COP. McVay has been trying to find one since he got there. Even if you like Henderson, his dynasty outlook is highly unlikely to change (from the COP role). 

If Gurley can't be counted upon, the Rams will look at RB (probably a feature back-type) in the 2020 draft unless Brown/Henderson perform well. That remains to be seen.

Part of the hypelessness is that he looked like crap in preseason and hasn't had a sniff in the regular season.  People who liked are using new information to change their minds. Or at least throw some caution into the mix.

So, they limit the carries, but he's out there to pick up just about every blitz sent their way?

He's not the same player, but this myopic look at touches without any other context doesn't tell anything close to the full story.

So, they limit the carries, but he's out there to pick up just about every blitz sent their way?

He's not the same player, but this myopic look at touches without any other context doesn't tell anything close to the full story.
Believe a blitz pickup = RB carry all you want.  Haven’t seen too many RBs suffer significant injuries blocking a blitzing linebacker.  

At this stage, it doesn’t really matter if there is an “other context” limiting his carries, nor what anyone assumes that narrative might be. It’s been ten straight games over two seasons in which he hasn’t had more than 16 carries.  The Gurley fanboys can believe it’s a 6/1 defense, a weak offensive line, or an incompetent coach.  I could care less.  It’s pretty clearly a trend, and whatever injury he’s dealing with just five weeks into the season isn’t going to increase the likelihood that he receives more workload upon his return.  

Believe a blitz pickup = RB carry all you want.  Haven’t seen too many RBs suffer significant injuries blocking a blitzing linebacker.  

At this stage, it doesn’t really matter if there is an “other context” limiting his carries, nor what anyone assumes that narrative might be. It’s been ten straight games over two seasons in which he hasn’t had more than 16 carries.  The Gurley fanboys can believe it’s a 6/1 defense, a weak offensive line, or an incompetent coach.  I could care less.  It’s pretty clearly a trend, and whatever injury he’s dealing with just five weeks into the season isn’t going to increase the likelihood that he receives more workload upon his return.  
Totally agree its a trend. And the results speak for themselves... but to best understand the situation we need to be honest with ourselves about what is injury VS. degradation of talent VS. lines play VS usage.  Personally, I believe he's not nearly as explosive a back but a better than average overall skilled runner, solid all around, but no longer spectacular.  But if he was being babied, I just don't see why they'd expose him to so many extra points of contact.

Jared Goff is bad under pressure.  The LA Rams have a bad offensive line.  Malcolm Brown had a PFF pass blocking grade of 90.0 last year, the best in the NFL for a running back.  Henderson needs to pass protect very well to see significant time.  But the Rams also need an effective run game to keep defenses honest.

But we took Gurley with full understanding of the likely lower usage?

John Kelly looked very good in the 2018 preseason, some thought he might be #2, but it was Brown instead. He outperformed Kamara at Tennessee one year. But he almost didn't make the team this year. He was a good pass blocker and receiver in college. If Henderson fails, he might get a chance.

Is there something harder about this than any other player?  I am not following.
Nope, seems the exact same situation as every other RB.  Mysterious injury (or not) late in 2018, workhorse RB that’s “fine” getting limited touches on a run to the Super Bowl, talk about a degenerative knee during the offseason, team trading two picks to move up in the draft to grab a RB, limited practice participation in the preseason, trend of not receiving more than 16 carries in a game continues into 2019, “quad injury” significant enough to keep him out of a game 10 days after it occurred after playing just five games.  Pretty much nothing out of the ordinary compared to other RBs over the last ten months.  Status quo, I’d say.

Look, I’m glad Gurley has been “a value to you thus far for what you paid for him” (not sure how that’s quite possible as he’s RB17 in my ppr league, but ok).  I have a hunch he’s about to become just just a bit more complicated for you than “if he starts he starts.”  But like I said, we’ll see.  Let’s double back on this in a month.

• Laughing
Reactions: ATB
Nope, seems the exact same situation as every other RB.  Mysterious injury (or not) late in 2018, workhorse RB that’s “fine” getting limited touches on a run to the Super Bowl, talk about a degenerative knee during the offseason, team trading two picks to move up in the draft to grab a RB, limited practice participation in the preseason, trend of not receiving more than 16 carries in a game continues into 2019, “quad injury” significant enough to keep him out of a game 10 days after it occurred after playing just five games.  Pretty much nothing out of the ordinary compared to other RBs over the last ten months.  Status quo, I’d say.

Look, I’m glad Gurley has been “a value to you thus far for what you paid for him” (not sure how that’s quite possible as he’s RB17 in my ppr league, but ok).  I have a hunch he’s about to become just just a bit more complicated for you than “if he starts he starts.”  But like I said, we’ll see.  Let’s double back on this in a month.
You seem hellbent on some conspiracy theory.

It never was a mystery, he has a degenerative knee.  Known since he was drafted.

People that drafted him that weren't hiding under a rock for the last year expected this.  You seem to be saying AHA I TOLD THIS WOULD HAPPEN... when we all knew this is what we were getting.  Ceteris paribus, you start him when he starts.

Users who are viewing this thread