What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Undocumented Immigrant Thread (6 Viewers)

Maybe I missed it, but who's claiming it would?
I thought we wanted to solve the crisis at the border?  Isn't that what our national emergency is about?  This administration conflates illegal border crossings with the caravan.  One is not related to the other.  Yet Trump cites this as a reason for building a wall.  It would not solve the problem at the southern border and would potentially take resources from the things that would.

OK, but would a wall prevent someone from crossing the Rio Grande and not waiting for border patrol....just walking right in, and being an illegal immigrant from the start?  Isn't that at least one of the primary goals of a wall?
No, it wouldn’t.  Because they’d be in the country, undocumented, even on the other side of the wall.  Should we just go ahead and build a maternity hospital over there when we put up the wall? 

I thought we wanted to solve the crisis at the border?  Isn't that what our national emergency is about?  This administration conflates illegal border crossings with the caravan.  One is not related to the other.  Yet Trump cites this as a reason for building a wall.  It would not solve the problem at the southern border and would potentially take resources from the things that would.
I thought we wanted to stop illegal immigration - and the influx of drugs and criminals and human trafficking.  At least I thought that was a primary goal of a structure on the border. 

I thought we wanted to stop illegal immigration - and the influx of drugs and criminals and human trafficking.  At least I thought that was a primary goal of a structure on the border. 
The influx of drugs and criminals and human trafficking would not be affected much if at all by building a wall. 

Those things happen at existing points of entry. 

No, it wouldn’t.  Because they’d be in the country, undocumented, even on the other side of the wall.  Should we just go ahead and build a maternity hospital over there when we put up the wall? 
Sorry, not quite following.  I'm saying if we don't have a wall, people can just cross the border and do whatever the want - including not waiting for border security and thus be an illegal immigrant from day 1.  Having a wall, either across the Rio Grande, or farther west where the river isn't - would potentially prevent that. 

Then focus on the ports of entry - that's where the overwhelming majority of those occur.  Illegal immigration is primarily people overstaying visas, not walking miles through the desert.  Also, drugs are not pouring over our border.  They are coming in through shipping ports and driven across at border crossings.

The influx of drugs and criminals and human trafficking would not be affected much if at all by building a wall. 

Those things happen at existing points of entry. 
All of it?  No drugs are crossing the boarder at the border and not a point of entry?  No one is being smuggled/trafficked?

Then focus on the ports of entry - that's where the overwhelming majority of those occur.  Illegal immigration is primarily people overstaying visas, not walking miles through the desert.  Also, drugs are not pouring over our border.  They are coming in through shipping ports and driven across at border crossings.
Thought that was only like 40-50% of it. 

"Nearly half of the 12 million-plus illegal aliens in America arrived legally with temporary, non-immigrant visas. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) estimates that a 'substantial' percentage of America’s illegal population is made up of visa overstays — their estimates range from 27 to 57 percent. . ."

- David Seminara, CIS Fellow

All of it?  No drugs are crossing the boarder at the border and not a point of entry?  No one is being smuggled/trafficked?

Wouldn't it be best to spend the money where its most effective?

I'm confused.  Did you see the qualifier "much if at all" in there? I didn't say "no one."  But very little of that activity, comparatively, happens between points of entry in a way that building a wall would substantially affect.  Lots of tunnels.  Lots of boats and subs.  Very little "driving an 18 wheeler across the desert hoping drones and satellites don't catch them."

El Chapo was tried recently.  I suggest you read the testimony about how they get drugs into the country.

"Nearly half of the 12 million-plus illegal aliens in America arrived legally with temporary, non-immigrant visas. The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) estimates that a 'substantial' percentage of America’s illegal population is made up of visa overstays — their estimates range from 27 to 57 percent. . ."

That quote is from 2008.  Things have changed.

Sorry, not quite following.  I'm saying if we don't have a wall, people can just cross the border and do whatever the want - including not waiting for border security and thus be an illegal immigrant from day 1.  Having a wall, either across the Rio Grande, or farther west where the river isn't - would potentially prevent that. 
1. Unless it's an unbroken line from California to the Gulf, they still can, and

2. If you build a gigantic wall nobody can cross, then you cede control of U.S. territory and the Rio Grande to Mexico and its citizens.  Under current law, if people cross the river and have a baby, that baby is an American.  Does that sound like a good idea to you?  To give 1,000 miles or so by 50 feet with no ability to effectively patrol or control American soil to Mexican citizens, given how citizenship works?

That quote is from 2008.  Things have changed.
They have?!  Not by much, apparently.....

But a 2017 report by the nonpartisan Center for Migration Studies estimates the overstay population has outnumbered border-crossers every year since 2007.  About 4.5 million of the 11 million undocumented immigrants in the United States, or 42 percent of the total undocumented population, overstayed visas, according to the report."

Like I said, less than half - between 40-50%. 

But a 2017 report by the nonpartisan Center for Migration Studies estimates the overstay population has outnumbered border-crossers every year since 2007.  About 4.5 million of the 11 million undocumented immigrants in the United States, or 42 percent of the total undocumented population, overstayed visas, according to the report."

See the bolded, and contrast it with your last sentence. You are conflating annual illegal immigration trends and totals with the total number of undocumented immigrants. 

Last edited by a moderator:

42% of the total undocumented population.  That means everyone who is here, including people who came here 50 years ago.  That can still technically be true if nobody illegally crossed ever again.  This is the proverbial closing of the barn door after the horse is out.

There’s no official measure of how many people succeed in illegally crossing the border, but authorities use the number of apprehensions to gauge changes in illegal immigration. Apprehensions on the Southwest border peaked in 2000 at 1.64 million and have generally declined since, totaling 396,579 in 2018.

Those numbers, which come from the U.S. Customs and Border Protection, are for fiscal years and date back to 1960.

Why invest our limited resources in a problem that's on the decline? Wouldn't the money be better spent fixing areas where the majority of the problems exist, i.e. ports of entry?

1. Unless it's an unbroken line from California to the Gulf, they still can, and

2. If you build a gigantic wall nobody can cross, then you cede control of U.S. territory and the Rio Grande to Mexico and its citizens.  Under current law, if people cross the river and have a baby, that baby is an American.  Does that sound like a good idea to you?  To give 1,000 miles or so by 50 feet with no ability to effectively patrol or control American soil to Mexican citizens, given how citizenship works?
I guess I'm not following your continuation of 9 month pregnant women example here.  If they wanted their child to be an American citizen today, they can just wad across the river (or walk across it farther west) and deliver - boom, kid is American.  You're saying the same thing would happen if we had a wall.  Are you saying we should change the law?

For whatever it's worth, I don't think we need a "wall" where the river already is - if that helps move this conversation along. 

See the bolded, and contrast it with your last sentence. You are conflating annual illegal immigration trends and totals with the total number of undocumented immigrants. 
No, I'm not.  Of the 11m or however many illegals that are in the country today, less than half are from visa overstays.  That's what I was saying above, and that's what the 2017 report backs up.  Now sure, that trend might be reversing now since on an annual basis more are from visa overstays than border crossings this year, but I was referring to what's here now. 

I'm not saying that more resources aren't needed at ports of entry.  They obviously are.  Especially with the "migrant caravans". 

OK, but would a wall prevent someone from crossing the Rio Grande and not waiting for border patrol....just walking right in, and being an illegal immigrant from the start?  Isn't that at least one of the primary goals of a wall?
I hadn't even thought of that. Mexico could set up a hospital right on the border where women could give birth to U.S. citizens all day long without the border patrol being able to do much about it (since The Wall would be several miles inside the border).

Why is it cruel?  What about countries that never sent aid?  Are they more cruel?
I don’t worry about other countries. I worry about us. 

It’s cruel because we pledged the aid, those countries have failing economies (in which we played a significant role in bringing about) and if we don’t help them some folks are going to starve. 
I'll add that a lot of the aid doesn't go to government entities, rather local humanitarian groups, schools, regional law enforcement groups where civic law enforcement isn't sufficient etc.  Cutting that aid takes education off the table for many kids, food out of their mouths and clothes off their backs.  Same for adults who are learning a new trade/skill to better themselves in hopes they can get out of their current situation.

No, I'm not.  Of the 11m or however many illegals that are in the country today, less than half are from visa overstays.  That's what I was saying above, and that's what the 2017 report backs up.  Now sure, that trend might be reversing now since on an annual basis more are from visa overstays than border crossings this year, but I was referring to what's here now. 

I'm not saying that more resources aren't needed at ports of entry.  They obviously are.  Especially with the "migrant caravans". 
OK, but that's not what anyone else was saying. They were talking about immigration as an ongoing process, not immigrants. In fact it makes no sense to discuss aggregate immigrant numbers when talking about ongoing immigration issues and how to address them, particularly in the context of a wall, since a wall won't do anything about people that are already here (it won't do much about people who want to come here either, but that's a different discussion).

The issue is ongoing immigration and how it might be impacted by a wall, not interior enforcement. In that context, the fact that the majority of new undocumented immigrants aren't coming across the border at all is highly relevant. How that affects the existing balance of undocumented immigrants within our borders is irrelevant.

42% of the total undocumented population.  That means everyone who is here, including people who came here 50 years ago.  That can still technically be true if nobody illegally crossed ever again.  This is the proverbial closing of the barn door after the horse is out.
You only needed the first 6 words. 

The report I quoted went on to say “That percentage will continue to increase as long as overstaying continues to be the predominant mode of arrival into the undocumented population,” which of course is the case - just means it will change with whatever the future brings.  I was referring to totals as of right now. 

DHS has estimated that the number of illegals in the country only increased by a total of 70k a year on average from 2000-2015.  So if in 2017 it was 42% of the ~12m, that's just over 5m from visas, and about 7m from border....and every one of those new 70k a year were from visa overstays, it would take about 29 years for the two to be equal. 

I guess I'm not following your continuation of 9 month pregnant women example here.  If they wanted their child to be an American citizen today, they can just wad across the river (or walk across it farther west) and deliver - boom, kid is American.  You're saying the same thing would happen if we had a wall.  Are you saying we should change the law?

For whatever it's worth, I don't think we need a "wall" where the river already is - if that helps move this conversation along. 
Yeah, except we have border patrol agents patrolling that area and labor doesn't happen in sixty seconds.  If we have a 1,000 mile wall along the river, there won't be border patrol agents there patrolling constantly and we might as well build a maternity ward.

If you don't think we need a wall there, then why did you suggest we build one 50' from the river?

The report I quoted went on to say “That percentage will continue to increase as long as overstaying continues to be the predominant mode of arrival into the undocumented population,” which of course is the case - just means it will change with whatever the future brings.  I was referring to totals as of right now. 

DHS has estimated that the number of illegals in the country only increased by a total of 70k a year on average from 2000-2015.  So if in 2017 it was 42% of the ~12m, that's just over 5m from visas, and about 7m from border....and every one of those new 70k a year were from visa overstays, it would take about 29 years for the two to be equal. 
What possible relevance does the percentages of how undocumented immigration used to happen have when discussing what actions we should take to deal with stemming undocumented immigration?

Isn't the bolded what I said to begin with? Illegal immigration is primarily people overstaying visas, not walking miles through the desert.

OK, but that's not what anyone else was saying. They were talking about immigration as an ongoing process, not immigrants. In fact it makes no sense to discuss aggregate immigrant numbers when talking about ongoing immigration issues and how to address them, particularly in the context of a wall, since a wall won't do anything about people that are already here (it won't do much about people who want to come here either, but that's a different discussion).

The relevant data is ongoing immigration and how it might be impacted by a wall. In that context, the fact that the majority of new undocumented immigrants aren't coming across the border at all is the key number.
Well, that's a number.  But the key number in terms of a wall, if that's the context, would be ~467,000.  That's the number of undocumented border crossers actually apprehended by Border Patrol officers in 2018, not counting a single one that got through which CMS estimated to be 190k.  That's over 650k total.  I fully understand that's down from the years when it was over a million each year apprehended alone, but it's still an issue.

Yeah, except we have border patrol agents patrolling that area and labor doesn't happen in sixty seconds.  If we have a 1,000 mile wall along the river, there won't be border patrol agents there patrolling constantly and we might as well build a maternity ward.

If you don't think we need a wall there, then why did you suggest we build one 50' from the river?
I wasn't suggesting we stop having border patrol agents if we had a wall.  I don't think anyone is suggesting that.  As to my "suggestion" of building a wall 50' from river, it was about a single line from a linked article above saying that a wall would be "ineffective" because it couldn't be built on top of the river - I didn't catch that it meant "ineffective at eliminating people coming here seeking asylum", I read it as being "ineffective at stopping people from entering the US." 

I don't want to stop people from attempting to enter the country seeking asylum if they are in fact being prosecuted.  I don't think that process should take years, which is the current backlog (and I don't think anyone does).  I'm like to do something about the over half a million people that either attempt to enter the country illegally not at a point of entry or seeking asylum and are caught, or who actually make it.

Well, that's a number.  But the key number in terms of a wall, if that's the context, would be ~467,000.  That's the number of undocumented border crossers actually apprehended by Border Patrol officers in 2018, not counting a single one that got through which CMS estimated to be 190k.  That's over 650k total.  I fully understand that's down from the years when it was over a million each year apprehended alone, but it's still an issue.
OK, but how does this declining issue compare with the larger issues at the ports of entry and visa overstays?  How many billions do we spend on the minor issue and how many more billions do we commit to the larger problems?  The problems being drugs, human trafficking, and undocumented immigrants.  How does the increasing caravan crisis factor into the need for a wall, as Trump continues to cite as a reason for the wall?

I wasn't suggesting we stop having border patrol agents if we had a wall.  I don't think anyone is suggesting that.  As to my "suggestion" of building a wall 50' from river, it was about a single line from a linked article above saying that a wall would be "ineffective" because it couldn't be built on top of the river - I didn't catch that it meant "ineffective at eliminating people coming here seeking asylum", I read it as being "ineffective at stopping people from entering the US." 

I don't want to stop people from attempting to enter the country seeking asylum if they are in fact being prosecuted.  I don't think that process should take years, which is the current backlog (and I don't think anyone does).  I'm like to do something about the over half a million people that either attempt to enter the country illegally not at a point of entry or seeking asylum and are caught, or who actually make it.
So you'd like to build a multi-billion-dollar wall and have our border patrol agents patrol the other side of it? 

OK, but how does this declining issue compare with the larger issues at the ports of entry and visa overstays?  How many billions do we spend on the minor issue and how many more billions do we commit to the larger problems?  The problems being drugs, human trafficking, and undocumented immigrants.  How does the increasing caravan crisis factor into the need for a wall, as Trump continues to cite as a reason for the wall?
First off, it did decline from the high in the 1990s to 2018 overall, but it also went up from 2017 to 2018.  Can you still deem it be to "declining" when the trend is going up now?  This past February had 76k total apprehensions or in-admissions - over twice the same time period last year. 

I'm also not sure you can call it the "minor issue" between the two.  I mean in sheer numbers today - yes more annual illegal immigrants stem from visa overstays than illegal crossings....but I had a roommate who was one of the former.  Wasn't a huge issue to society, or me.  As far as I know they weren't running drugs or trafficking humans, they just couldn't find a job and their visa expired and they had to go back to the wonderful Caribbean Island where they were from.  While a personal and anecdotal example, I would think a lot of these visa overstays are similar.  Many of those "undocumented immigrants" just aren't a huge issue to anyone, at least when compared to other undocumented immigrants who are running drugs, or trafficking.   Which of the two (visa overstays or illegal crossings) are leading to move of those problems you listed? 

First off, it did decline from the high in the 1990s to 2018 overall, but it also went up from 2017 to 2018.  Can you still deem it be to "declining" when the trend is going up now?  This past February had 76k total apprehensions or in-admissions - over twice the same time period last year. 

I'm also not sure you can call it the "minor issue" between the two.  I mean in sheer numbers today - yes more annual illegal immigrants stem from visa overstays than illegal crossings....but I had a roommate who was one of the former.  Wasn't a huge issue to society, or me.  As far as I know they weren't running drugs or trafficking humans, they just couldn't find a job and their visa expired and they had to go back to the wonderful Caribbean Island where they were from.  While a personal and anecdotal example, I would think a lot of these visa overstays are similar.  Many of those "undocumented immigrants" just aren't a huge issue to anyone, at least when compared to other undocumented immigrants who are running drugs, or trafficking.   Which of the two (visa overstays or illegal crossings) are leading to move of those problems you listed? 
What percentage of undocumented immigrants crossing the border illegally without using a boat, plane, or tunnel do you think are bringing drugs or human trafficking victims?  And what are you basing those numbers on?

Isn't the bolded what I said to begin with? Illegal immigration is primarily people overstaying visas, not walking miles through the desert.
Depends on how you read it. 

Example (which I think is still true) - Most vehicles on the road today are cars, even though the majority of vehicles sold today are SUVs.  Same idea.  You mean to say that "new illegal immigration is primarily people overstaying visas, not walking miles through the desert", while I'm saying "most illegal immigrants in US today aren't form people overstaying visas".  I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am saying that both are still issues/problems.

So you'd like to build a multi-billion-dollar wall and have our border patrol agents patrol the other side of it? 
I'd like to have some additional structure to what's already in place, yes.  I'd like it to be in the biggest problem areas.  I think that's been in every single proposal, from both sides.  It doesn't have to be from ocean to sea, no.  Yes, still have border patrol agents - why wouldn't we?  We have agents patrolling areas today that have a structure in place, don't we?

Depends on how you read it. 

Example (which I think is still true) - Most vehicles on the road today are cars, even though the majority of vehicles sold today are SUVs.  Same idea.  You mean to say that "new illegal immigration is primarily people overstaying visas, not walking miles through the desert", while I'm saying "most illegal immigrants in US today aren't form people overstaying visas".  I'm not saying you're wrong, but I am saying that both are still issues/problems.
It doesn't depend on how you read it, today's primary source of undocumented immigration is visa overstays. We agree on that. Your own quote said that. Like I said at the beginning.

So if I'm understanding your math correctly, we're already capturing 72% of prospective unlawful border crossers using existing methods. 

Democrats are of course on board with expanding funding for those existing methods including technological improvements.  Given that option, Republicans prefer instead to spend tens of billions of dollars and take land from American property owners to construct a sea-to-sea wall to hopefully someday, years from now, be able to stop some (but not all) of that remaining 28%. 

And they want to do this while restricting legal immigration in several ways that will obviously increase the total number of prospective unlawful border crosses from which that 28% comes (because some portion of the formerly legal prospective immigrants will try to cross illegally). And also while cutting aid to the home countries of many of the prospective unlawful border crossers, meaning we'd ultimately have to decrease the already low 28% success rate substantially in order to have any sort of net positive effect at all.

Is that an accurate restatement of the statistics and the current political positions of the parties on immigration at the southern border?

So if I'm understanding your math correctly, we're already capturing 72% of prospective unlawful border crossers using existing methods. 

Democrats are of course on board with expanding funding for those existing methods including technological improvements.  Given that option, Republicans prefer instead to spend tens of billions of dollars and take land from American property owners to construct a sea-to-sea wall to hopefully someday, years from now, be able to stop some (but not all) of that remaining 28%. 

And they want to do this while restricting legal immigration in several ways that will obviously increase the total number of prospective unlawful border crosses from which that 28% comes (because some portion of the formerly legal prospective immigrants will try to cross illegally). And also while cutting aid to the home countries of many of the prospective unlawful border crossers, meaning we'd ultimately have to decrease the already low 28% success rate substantially in order to have any sort of net positive effect at all.

Is that an accurate restatement of the statistics and the current political positions of the parties on immigration at the southern border?
Democrats were in favor of 700 miles of border fencing in 2013.  Democrats agreed that no illegal immigrants could get a path to citizenship until all 700 miles of border fencing had been fully completed.  Only when Trump is president is it immoral and wasteful.  Yep, we get it.

Democrats were in favor of 700 miles of border fencing in 2013.  Democrats agreed that no illegal immigrants could get a path to citizenship until all 700 miles of border fencing had been fully completed.  Only when Trump is president is it immoral and wasteful.  Yep, we get it.
Why did the R's hold that back, they should have been all about passing that through?

So why didn't it happen then?  Were the Republicans against it? 

I'd like to have some additional structure to what's already in place, yes.  I'd like it to be in the biggest problem areas.  I think that's been in every single proposal, from both sides.  It doesn't have to be from ocean to sea, no.  Yes, still have border patrol agents - why wouldn't we?  We have agents patrolling areas today that have a structure in place, don't we?
Our border patrol agents are usually on this side of the fence.

Democrats agreed to a bipartisan bill that had things they wanted and things Republicans wanted in 2013, and it passed the Senate.  The Republican Speaker of the House refused to bring it to a vote.  If the Republicans would like to revive that bill, I have no doubt that it would pass.  Do you suppose they will?

It's not my math, it's the numbers given to us from government agencies.  I'm assuming they are at least close.  They captured 467k folks and estimate about 190k got in (to be able to then say that more than half of new illegal immigrants are from visa overstays).

Right from your article, though, at least one Republican doesn't prefer what you suggest - Republicans spoke of physical barriers placed, as Senator Shelley Moore Capito, Republican of West Virginia, put it, “where it makes sense.”  Doesn't sound like sea-to-sea there, does it?  In fact, that sounds very close to what a Democrat said, also in that article - "A day earlier, Representative Hakeem Jeffries of New York, the No. 5 Democrat in the House, told reporters that the party would be “willing to support fencing where it makes sense” if derived from “an evidence-based fashion.”

That's what I think everyone should be on board with.  We don't need a sea to sea structure.  We likely don't need a 30 foot wall.  We already have miles of structure on the border.  Why not improve upon what's already there, and from your own math above - is providing us with a 72% success rate?

We can talk later about the many ways that this post is incorrect, if you want. But before we do ... you were transparently trying to change the subject, I assume to duck my straightforward question. I asked if my post was "an accurate restatement of the statistics and the current political positions of the parties on immigration at the southern border."  Is it? If not, which part is false?

From Wiki: In June 2013, the immigration bill passed the Senate with a strong majority—68–32, with 14 Republicans joining all Democrats. The United States House of Representatives under Speaker John Boehner did not act on the bill, however, and it expired at the end of the 113th Congress.[3] This bill would have created reform that would have resolved some of the issues that are currently being debated as a result of the government shutdown.[4]

Key provisions in 'Gang of Eight' Senate proposal

Published: April 15, 2013

A bipartisan group of eight Senators unveiled legislation that represented the most sweeping overhaul of the nation’s immigration laws in nearly three decades. Here is a look at the key provisions in the bill. Read related article.

Path to Citizenship

Most of the 11 million people who are in the country illegally could apply for a green card after 10 years and citizenship three years after that.

Applicants must pay a $1,000 fine, pay back taxes, learn English, remain employed and pass a criminal background check.

Immigrants must have arrived in the United States before Jan. 1, 2012, to be eligible.

Dream Act youth can obtain green cards in five years and citizenship immediately thereafter.

The path to green cards and citizenship is predicated on a “trigger” related to border control measures that must first be implemented.

Border Control

The Department of Homeland Security will receive $3 billion to improve border security through surveillance drones and 3,500 additional customs agents; $1.5 billion for fencing.

Within five years, DHS must achieve 100 percent surveillance of the southwest border with Mexico and apprehend 90 percent of people trying to cross illegally in high-risk sectors (areas where more than 30,000 people are apprehended annually).

If DHS does not meet the metrics, a border commission composed of governors and attorneys general from border states would be given five more years and additional funding to implement more stringent measures.

U.S. companies must implement the “E-verify” computer tracking system that aims to ensure that workers are legal residents within five years. All non-citizens will be required to show "biometric work authorization card" or "biometric green card."

The government must implement an exit/entry tracking system at ports of entry to determine whether foreign visitors or workers overstay their visas.

H-1B high-skilled visas

Visas for highly skilled engineers and computer programs would double from 65,000 to 110,000. In future years, the cap could rise to as much as 180,000.

Require employers with large numbers of H-1B visas to pay higher salaries and fees.

Guest worker “W-visa” program

New visa program for 20,000 foreigners in low-skilled jobs starting in 2015. Number of visas increases to 75,000 in 2019.

New federal bureau to analyze employment data to make recommendations for annual guest-worker visas caps beginning in 2020, to exceed no more than 200,000 annually.

Construction companies limited to no more than 15,000 visas per year.

“Safety-valve” to allow additional visas over the annual cap provided employers pay workers higher wages.

Farm worker H-2A program

Visas for agriculture workers limited to 337,000 over three years

Wages based on survey of labor-market data for various farming jobs.

Changes to family visa program

Allows unlimited number of visas per year for foreign spouses, children and parents of U.S. citizens and permanent legal residents.

Eighteen months after the law takes effect, eliminates visas reserved for foreign brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, and married children over 30 years of age.

Eliminates diversity visa program starting in 2015. Creates new merit-based visa category using point system based on family ties and work skills.

Our border patrol agents are usually on this side of the fence.
And that would continue.  I don't know where you're going with this "this side of the fence or the other".  Today we have both fence/structure and border agents patrolling the border.  Why wouldn't the latter continue if we improved upon the former?

Democrats agreed to a bipartisan bill that had things they wanted and things Republicans wanted in 2013, and it passed the Senate.  The Republican Speaker of the House refused to bring it to a vote.  If the Republicans would like to revive that bill, I have no doubt that it would pass.  Do you suppose they will?
Mic drop. 

It's not my math, it's the numbers given to us from government agencies.  I'm assuming they are at least close.  They captured 467k folks and estimate about 190k got in (to be able to then say that more than half of new illegal immigrants are from visa overstays).

Right from your article, though, at least one Republican doesn't prefer what you suggest - Republicans spoke of physical barriers placed, as Senator Shelley Moore Capito, Republican of West Virginia, put it, “where it makes sense.”  Doesn't sound like sea-to-sea there, does it?  In fact, that sounds very close to what a Democrat said, also in that article - "A day earlier, Representative Hakeem Jeffries of New York, the No. 5 Democrat in the House, told reporters that the party would be “willing to support fencing where it makes sense” if derived from “an evidence-based fashion.”

That's what I think everyone should be on board with.  We don't need a sea to sea structure.  We likely don't need a 30 foot wall.  We already have miles of structure on the border.  Why not improve upon what's already there, and from your own math above - is providing us with a 72% success rate?
So, uh, what exactly are you arguing for here?

Your posts (for example this one) talk about "having a wall," which I took to mean a single structure that differs significantly from what already exists and from the current "fencing where it makes sense, with improvements where practical" policy.  Is that not what you favor?  Do you prefer that we stick with the existing policy and just tighten it up a bit where it makes sense?  If so remember to vote Democrat since you agree with them, and oppose the Republican policy.

Users who are viewing this thread